Del Parson's Painting of Christ question

Are you saying Jews today are not related to the people in Israel in the time of Jesus?

No - you said that you knew some blonde haired, blue eyed Jews.

1. The issue did not involve what Jews look like today. The issue was about Jews in Palenstine 2000 years ago.

2. Regardless of what they claim, are they, in fact, Semitic?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No - you said that you knew some blonde haired, blue eyed Jews.

1. The issue did not involve what Jews look like today. The issue was about Jews in Palenstine 2000 years ago.

2. Regardless of what they claim, are they, in fact, Semitic?

Were all Jews in Palestine 2000 years ago of the lineage of David? If you say no then you already introduce the possibility that there was a different set of genes in Jesus that could make His appearance different than most.

I find it interesting that some seem opposed to Jesus looking other than a typical Jew for the time (as far as we understand what one would look like). The only descriptions we have to contend against him being short and brown (compared to a Nordic man, I don't think anyone is saying he was Ethiopian) are pre or post mortal and nobody knows what resurrection exactly does to ones complexion and the like. So we're stuck with artists renditions that are products of those glorified descriptions or products of their culture (or a combination of both).

I don't know what he looked like (nobody does except those alive and present for his mortal life) but it seems more likely that it was more 1st century Jewish and less Nordic. If nothing else he spent a fair amount of time in the sun so you'd expect a good tan.

Edited by Dravin

This assumption [(nobody does except those alive and present for his mortal life)]is your opinion and not other members of the church Dravin.

Of course my statement is not other members of the Church, it's a statement not people. One would think this obvious. My statement is not a cheeseburger either. Nor is it a Ferrari.

I will retract, some few have seen visions (well I take that as a matter of faith, it is not verifiable fact that such has happened) of the Saviors earthly ministry but they aren't talking. What descriptions we do have are of the post mortal Messiah but I don't think anyone is maintaining that Jesus of Nazareth age 18 had white hair and eyes like a flaming fire. There is a dearth of information on the subject of his mortal appearance.

Edited by Dravin

I find it interesting that some seem opposed to Jesus looking other than a typical Jew for the time (as far as we understand what one would look like). The only descriptions we have to contend against him being short and brown (compared to a Nordic man, I don't think anyone is saying he was Ethiopian) are pre or post mortal and nobody knows what resurrection exactly does to ones complexion and the like. So we're stuck with artists renditions that are products of those glorified descriptions or products of their culture (or a combination of both).

I don't know what he looked like (nobody does except those alive and present for his mortal life) but it seems more likely that it was more 1st century Jewish and less Nordic. If nothing else he spent a fair amount of time in the sun so you'd expect a good tan.

Not sure why is it an issue for some folks in and outside the Church to imagine Jesus not looking "white". One could argue as well that those who claim to have visions (other than Prophets) and those who had NDE for example could have been largely influenced by the paintings of Jesus they have encountered their whole life so they "see" Jesus looking pretty much like these paintings. Just some food for thought.

Dravin, majority items with the exception of those items the Lord does not permit to be uttered, is verifiable by the Holy Ghost for any good standing member in the church. Even Joseph Smith mentioned that out of the mouth babes, will utter the mysteries of the kingdom.

Never under estimate your own potential before GOD with prayer.

Late edit: true but if a person is often visited, it then becomes apparent on what the Lord looks like.

Here is your food....

Not sure why is it an issue for some folks in and outside the Church to imagine Jesus not looking "white".

I think there is a lot of cultural inertia. Think Santa Claus, culture has embedded this idea that he looks a certain way and so if you then say (to an American) Santa looks like this:

Posted Image

You get a "That's not Santa!" reaction. I know for my part that even if say the Prophet came out and said about Snow's picture, "That's actually closer." I'd still probably think of him as a Nordic man simply because the image is so pervasive in my culture.

Edited by Dravin

I think there is a lot of cultural inertia. Think Santa Claus, culture has embedded this idea that he looks a certain way and so if you then say (to an American) Santa looks like this:

Posted Image

You get a "That's not Santa!" reaction. I know for my part that even if say the Prophet came out and said about Snow's picture, "That's actually closer." I'd still probably think of him as a Nordic man simply because the image is so pervasive in my culture.

Exactly my point.

Now for the food source! Meridian Magazine interviewed Del about his most famous painting, among the few notables others he did that was commissioned by the church and was corrected by the same committee

SEE LINK: Meridian Magazine :: Arts: Del Parson: Painting the Savior’s Love

Del Parson’s most recognizable painting of the Savior.

Q: You painted arguably the most recognized painting of the Savior in the LDS Church. How did that come about?

A: An art director at the Church called me and asked if I would be interested in doing a painting of the Savior. It was one of the first paintings of the Savior up to that point. I went to Salt Lake and met with the Correlation Committee, and they told me what they were looking for. I went back and did some preliminary sketches and sent them back. They made suggestions and I made changes. We did this back and forth for three or four months.

When I finally finished the painting based on the sketches, I was not happy with it. We had a wood burning stove and I told Lynette I was going to throw it in the stove and start over. She told me, “No way was I going to do that,” and then she took the painting from me. Before I knew it she had packed it up and sent it to Salt Lake.

They liked it and after a couple of minor changes, it was done.