Overreaction in IRC chat room

SteveMcluuf

Oh I concur completely. What I was saying was:

1. Don't knowingly insult people, it is rude.

2. They are overreacting, death threats are just a crazy reaction.

I was focusing more on #1, you were focusing more on #2.

I'm more focusing on the fact we don't know that #2 happened lol

And that being said, I'm wondering if there is scriptural basis in their faith for being put to death for this sin? I mean there is a lot of times in the Bible of people being put to death for sins, admittedly it was old testament, but still there.

Oh I concur completely. What I was saying was:

1. Don't knowingly insult people, it is rude.

2. They are overreacting, death threats are just a crazy reaction.

I was focusing more on #1, you were focusing more on #2.

Oh lol, that's what I thought the thread was about. It then seemed that others were coming to the defence of overreacting bullys, demanding to know the "whole story", like there are words that could have been said that would justify the threats.

Regards,

Vanhin

I'm more focusing on the fact we don't know that #2 happened lol

And that being said, I'm wondering if there is scriptural basis in their faith for being put to death for this sin? I mean there is a lot of times in the Bible of people being put to death for sins, admittedly it was old testament, but still there.

And I'm saying it doesn't matter what was said, and threatening people is unacceptable. And even if it was in their scriptures, to put people to death for this, it is unacceptable to me.

In case people haven't been paying attention to the news, the threats to people offending the zealots in the past with depictions of Muhammad, have been violent. Here's just a sample.

South Park Threats: Creator Facing Violent Threats for Muhammad Edpisode - KTLA

So, South Park has also ridiculed Mormons. Do any of you want to hurt them?

No matter what the OP's intentions were, they shouldn't be allowed to threaten people. The world community should be in lockstep against such behavior, and not resolve to appeasement like we are seeing in most cases.

Regards,

Vanhin

Oh lol, that's what I thought the thread was about. It then seemed that others were coming to the defence of overreacting bullys, demanding to know the "whole story", like there are words that could have been said that would justify the threats.

Regards,

Vanhin

No..no...no! The death threats are NOT to be justified at all, it is wrong of course! (let me clarify that!). What I would like to know though is how the whole thing escalated to such point and what was the purpose of Steve's "interpretation" of Muhammad.

And I'm saying it doesn't matter what was said, and threatening people is unacceptable. And even if it was in their scriptures, to put people to death for this, it is unacceptable to me.

Then that is a problem, it doesn't have to be ok with you. There's a lot that people have an issue with in the LDS church, but it won't change the fact you believe it. You may not agree with their scripture, doesn't render it any less sacred to them, you don't get to pick or choose what is sacred and followed by others or tell them it's wrong or shouldn't matter.

Now do i like the idea of death threats, not in the least, i like them following through with them even less, that being said i find it worrisome that anyone can say "respect my faith" while telling someone else that they are saying the refuse to respect someone else.

All of that being said yes they might be a fanatical minority, but some consider LDS the same.

You put yourself in danger by behaving in a way that was not Christ-like. The people that got offended shouldn't be held to such a high standard because they don't have the fullness of the gospel like you do.

I got sucked in too. The OP is not likely to have any truth to it whatever. Forgot about 'ol Steve.

HiJolly

Geez! I should have search for his posts first...

So during the whole 2010 Steve gets a red and black and some yellow snake in his house, finds out he is adopted, got fired because his boss wanted him to spy his wife and now he is getting death threats in an IRC chat room for some silly characters that they supposed to represent Muhammad????

Sorry too much for me...:P

I am gone.

The one thing that hasn't been present in this discussion is the reason why depictions of Mohammed are received so harshly in Islamic culture. The common understanding (I'm not 100% sure of the origin) is that these depictions are forbidden to prevent idolatry, an offense punishable by death. So casting death threats for making depictions of the prophet is perfectly natural to that culture. Sure it seems odd to us, but that's because we aren't part of that culture.

Creating such a depiction is a very culturally unaware gesture at best, and just plain insulting at worst.

The cultural unawareness clearly goes both ways, but it isn't up to me to address cultural unawareness of some Muslims in a group of latter-day saints. I will say this though: freaking out about how we shouldn't have to walk on egg-shells perpetuates the cultural unawareness and is a bit insensitive.

The cultural unawareness clearly goes both ways, but it isn't up to me to address cultural unawareness of some Muslims in a group of latter-day saints. I will say this though: freaking out about how we shouldn't have to walk on egg-shells perpetuates the cultural unawareness and is a bit insensitive.

Making death threats is beyond insensitive towards my culture. It is a greater offense than making a likeness of a person, be it the prophet of Islam. And we are not talking about just mere threats. These guys carry out their threats with religious fervour.

I'm not going to walk on eggshells around a radical murderous faction of Muslims, for the fear of getting killed because of words and pictures. However, that doesn't mean that I am going to go around being offensive towards them intentionally, but I won't stand for their "more" offensive behavior of threatening and carrying out threats towards other people.

This may not be a real situation, and might be part of Steve's made up world, but the truth is this stuff really happens.

Regards,

Vanhin

Making death threats is beyond insensitive towards my culture. It is a greater offense than making a likeness of a person, be it the prophet of Islam. And we are not talking about just mere threats. These guys carry out their threats with religious fervour.

Oh my, a faith that follows it's teachings and it's prophet, what ever shall we do?