Lets Set Something Striate Outshined / Shanstress70

Winnie G

I like to ask why the US has to constantly remind them self’s its so grate?

Would someone Please explain that to me?

Why do you have to act in such a manner so you feel your grate do you need to boost?

Be humble for heaves sake its looks well pompous and that is putting it mildly.

As a American, as a small child I lost a father to his service of that county and he joined the army (15) in the states he was born in Manitoba. After WW2 he settled in Michigan, he served in Korea and Vietnam.

Therefore, what did Canada do for the America my father.

The one thing I like about living here is that Canadians just know it about them self but are humble enough to keep it to them self’s.

Outshined Part of charity is not rubbing your neighbor's nose in it...

OK I was not rubbing anyone’s noise in it.

Don’t you think its odd that Marsha posted about Hurricane housing and that my son would grown up and work for the same company that made the trailers his father lived in, wile in Yugoslavia and now this order for FEM. Take about a small world.

You seem to forget that I am American too.

If it sounded a bit off it would have come from the voice in my head that says Washington should hire unemployed from the hurricane to build trailers or do the clean up.

Just something no one wants a hand out but a hand up would be nice.

I think this could fall under out sourcing of Labor. I am just thank full its Canada not Mexico. I do not think too many unemployed Americans would like that next time they vote.

I am happy for my son he makes 23 dollars an hour and at the same time, work hours goes towards his plumbers papers. The more hours worked the faster he is certified.

My son the Plummer 

shanstress70

And EVERYONE knows we've never done a thing to help Canada!

OK shanstress70 you better start making a list and show us all how grate the US is and Canada is just the poor cousin in the north.

Let see in the time I have lived in Canada I have seen the government hide US embassy staff for months at their own risk. Then President Reagan fell all over him self to say thank you. But then, I need to think you might be too young to remember that.

Oh, you do remember 911; Canada opened its air space and allowed all US planes to divert to Canada. My husband was at the Winnipeg airport disembarking all the passengers. I mean who know what Canada could have let in to the country. Oh, yah the Canadian government put them up in hotels and feed them at no cost to the American government.

None in Canada said let them fend for them self’s.

So please in less you are an Political or Cultural professor zip your lip.

An that’s from a American 

Canadia is the proper spelling for a country where the people call themselves "Canadians". If the country's name was spelled "Canada," then the people there would call themselves "Canadans." Since they call themselves "Canadians", it's only reasonable to spell the name of their country "Canadia." After all, people from Germany don't call themselves "Germanians" do they?

For those of you who went to public school in the U.S. and haven't heard of Canadia before, it's a small, third-world country just north of the United States. Once you learn to understand their peculiar dialect of English, it's not too hard to converse with Canadian natives.

Canadia is a poor and sparsely-populated country where up to 98% of the citizens are alcoholics. Most Canadian citizens have government jobs where they are paid to say "Eh?" all day long.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, here's the inside explanation for all of you Canadians who have, by now, worked yourself into a seriously indignant, perturbed, and self-righteous Canadanista fury:

There's an American stereotype known as the "redneck". A redneck thinks all foreigners are scary, threatening people who are out to overthrow America. A completely looney redneck would think that Canadians are a threat to the American way of life, when in fact Canadians have a hard time threatening beavers. By appearing to attack Canadians, we're actually making fun of an American stereotype -- fearful of outsiders, poorly educated, and patriotic to the point of stupidity. We're poking fun at Americans.

The fact that Canadians completely fail to understand this is an endless source of amusement to everyone on LDSTalk. The flaming letters to the members all wrapped up in Canadian patriotism -- complete with tales of hockey, health care, Molson beer, and Canadian peace-keepers -- are as unintentionally heart-warming as they are hilarious. It's hard to imagine that that kind of heartfelt innocence still exists these days, because here in jaded America, it doesn't.

Sweet, innocent Canadians, we salute you!

P.S. If you guys keep mouthing off, one of these days we're gonna invade your sorry country and give you a serious arse-kicking.

This kind of stuff is not what this site was designed for. Personal attacks or attacks under the guise of patriotism is not what we are here for.

Not sure who you are referring to.

Jared is denigrating a country, not a person and I am saying that Winnie claiming she is American cuz she once lived here is like Charles Manson claiming to be a musician because he used to play the guitar. Extending the analogy a little further - Charlie trashed every song he tried to play/sing and Winnie trashes the USA every time she mentions it.

You're right. Instead of attacking perhaps an indepth look into Canadia is in order...

The problem, it seems, isn't so much the strange reports that continually issue forth from that vast, mostly uncharted region, but that such a place exists at all. Apparently most Americans are totally unaware that such a place as "Canadia" even exists!

The common thread that tugs at American viewers here at LDSTalk, however, is one of deep, unsated curiosity. "I would like to visit Canadia," begins a typical note, "but I am unsure whether or not I would be welcome there. What should I bring? Is it safe to drink the water? Is it true that Canadians use giant stone donuts for currency? Does Berlitz offer a course in Canadish?"

Sensing a Great Need, I will now present a short field guide to Canadian culture, history and economics in the interest of those Americans brave enough to chance a trip across the border.

History Canadia was first settled by immigrant yak farmers who crossed the Bering Strait land bridge many eons ago. For thousands of years, very little happened in Canadia. Then dynamite was discovered. The French arrived, and appointed a provincial governor to bring order to the loosely organized tribal nations who flourished along the frigid shores of the Hudson Bay. Trade routes were established with Europe, and over time decorative Canadian knick-knacks were found in plentiful supply in curio shops all over Paris. Then the English arrived, and an uneasy co-existence with the French was maintained until the year 1902, when the first indoor plumbing was installed. Today the English and French descendants of the earliest European settlers enjoy many of the modern conveniences we take for granted here in the USA, including electricity and liquid glue.

A communist nation since 1946, Canadia gained self-rule in 1972, in the aftermath of the infamous Maple Leaf Rebellion, when invading Soviet tanks rolled through the streets of Toronto, and were pelted with rocks and garbage by indignant Canadian hockey players. Although technically remaining behind the "Iron Curtain," Canadia, which has been ruled with an iron fist by First Marshall Tito since 1948, did not abandon its totalitarian rule after the collapse of Soviet-style communism in the late 1980s. A fiercely independent (and isolated) nation, Canadians still labor under severe government edicts which greatly restrict their freedoms of speech and right to travel freely.

People and Culture A hardy people of stern, Northern stock, Canadians tend to be deeply suspicious and distrustful by nature, although it is unclear how much this has to do with the severity of the current system of government. Canadians live and work in commune-like "work clusters," and rarely leave the town where they are born for very long, if at all. Although little is known of the interior operations of these clusters, the few Canadians who have escaped to the south tell mysterious -- but unconfirmed -- tales of "giant robot insects" and harsh living conditions in tiny igloos.

A popular misconception regarding Canadian culture is that cannibalism is not only tolerated, but taught in schools as a proper social behavior. Fortunately, this appears to be merely an urban legend. Canadians don't attend schools, for instance, and plentiful sustenance is available to all Canadians in the form of the rich maple syrup which forms in pools in many areas. A popular treat in Canadia is the "Slop Wafer," a bland, doughy cracker-like bread which is coated liberally with the ubiquitous syrup and then consumed at special occasions, like birthday parties, or the annual Festival of the Enormous Moose, which caps the main holiday season in August.

Although most Canadians don't own or have access to television, many citizens are well versed in the antics of American sitcom television characters due to the efforts of village "story speakers," a sort of shamanistic figure who has obtained the use of a television during state-sponsored seminars, and returns to his or her village to pass along the stories to his "comrades". A particular favorite is "Sanford and Son," and it is not uncommon to witness Canadian children "Pulling a Sanford" in public: imitating Fred's hilarious mock heart attacks.

Amplified music is forbidden by the Canadian government; bagpipes and accordians tend to be the most popular musical instruments. Many village pubs feature live polka music, and a lively time is sure to be had by all.

A word of caution: it is considered impolite to shake hands with a Canadian, probably because napkins are outlawed. Such an attempt will generally encounter a stern glance and possibly even a visit from the local constable.

Canadians consume great amounts of alcohol, which they call "hootcho".

(cont next week when my fingers uncramp)

<div class='quotemain'>

This kind of stuff is not what this site was designed for. Personal attacks or attacks under the guise of patriotism is not what we are here for.

Jared is denigrating a country, not a person [...]

Some of the comments were restricted to the "country" but some, like the following, were stereotyping the people.

Originally posted by Jared

For those of you who went to public school in the U.S. and haven't heard of Canadia before, it's a small, third-world country just north of the United States. Once you learn to understand their peculiar dialect of English, it's not too hard to converse with Canadian natives.

Canadia is a poor and sparsely-populated country where up to 98% of the citizens are alcoholics. Most Canadian citizens have government jobs where they are paid to say "Eh?" all day long.

The fact that Canadians completely fail to understand this is an endless source of amusement to everyone on LDSTalk.

Really? Wow, I guess I'm missing out on all the "amusement".

Let's keep it in line with the rules of the board. B)

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Jared is denigrating a country, not a person [...]

Some of the comments were restricted to the "country" but some, like the following, were stereotyping the people.

The fact that Canadians completely fail to understand this is an endless source of amusement to everyone on LDSTalk.

Really? Wow, I guess I'm missing out on all the "amusement".

Let's keep it in line with the rules of the board. B)

"Facetious" is the word of the day.

Winnie, you are the only person here who constantly feels the need to take potshots at the US, like you're making up for something. And yes, it certainly did look like you were trying to rub the US's nose in the fact that Canada is helping build trailers for FEMA. Be grateful for the income to your country instead of looking for a reason to gripe.

If anyone is constantly trying to remind anyone how great their country is, it's you. We can go weeks without hearing bad things said about any country, but if something is said, chances are it's you taking a dig at the United States. We know you don't like the US, and we don't care. You brag about Canada nonstop, which is swell, but try not to hold the same pride against those in other countries.

You seem to forget that I am American too.

What can I say? You go out of your way to trash the US, and you don't seem to care for the fact that you used to be an American, either.

As for the hurricane victims, putting them to work has been tried, and it isn't going very well. The ones who want to work are doing so. I have a friend who's been working with the Red Cross in Louisiana, and he tells me that the ones who are unemployed now refuse to work; they sit in their free housing and wait for the handouts, and get angry when asked to do some work. So see, before you leap to judge it helps to know the facts.

If anyone has made an issue of the US/Canada thing, it's been you all along, Winnie. You want to take shots at the United States while bragging about Canada, then get angry when someone calls you on it. You don't seem to understand that it's possible to be proud of your country without putting another down. You said Canadians are humble and keep it to themselves; sounds like a good example for you to follow.

Shanstress70 shouldn't need to give any reasons that the US is great; the one making it some kind of contest is you.

FWIW Winny,

I think Canada is a much better country to live in, and a far better society the is the US. The US - while rich and powerful to be sure - is also a pretty brutal and violent society when compared to first world nations. Of course that may be part of why we are rich powerful and arrogant.

I think Canada is a much better country to live in, and a far better society the is the US. The US - while rich and powerful to be sure - is also a pretty brutal and violent society when compared to first world nations. Of course that may be part of why we are rich powerful and arrogant.

There were those that were loyal to King George and Britain and felt the same way in the 1780s. They moved to Canada. Canada is underpopulated and I am sure it is not difficult to get a residency permit.

Brutal and violent? Ever seen a British soccer match -- I mean the fans that is? The USA is not perfect, but we were originally colonized by people seeking non-conformity, innovation and freedom. Along with those traits may come more lawlessness.

The USA is not perfect, but we were originally colonized by people seeking non-conformity, innovation and freedom. Along with those traits may come more lawlessness.

I think I conceeded that point. And I very well may end up in Canada. But my finances are not such I can do so at the moment. If they were I might. My kid may end up with a wrestling scholarship in that country too..... they are more available there.

First of all, JARED, you are freakin' hilarious! Even if some of you people are offended by it, if you tell me you didn't snicker one little bit, I say you need to lighten up a bit. Dude, you should write a book. I'm even contemplating e-mailing what you wrote to my good friend and co-worker who happens to be a Canadian... she'd think it's a hoot.

Winnie, I'm sorry I offended you. I do love my country though, although I know we have SO many problems. I will be the first to complain about some of our messed up politics. However, when all is said and done, I'm pretty sure there are many Canadians coming into the US to live than vice versa.

And yes, I did make a silly joke about how we've done nothing to help Canada when you made some crazy comment about the trailers for the Katrina victims are being made there. I think this country has a great relationship with Canada, and I think it's great to help each other out.

Hope you have a good day, Winnie!

And sgallan, don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out! Have a Lebatt's Blue for me when you get up there, and tell Celine Dion hi.

Good day!

A friend I met on the internet five years ago is a Canadian. Although some of her fellow Canadians feel justified and free to attack Americans, she is one who doesn't engage in this negative behavior, which I find most refreshing! One of the things she said she admires most about Americans is our sense of patriotism, which she said, many Canadians sadly lack.

And sgallan, don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out!

My, my, aren't we full of love this morning....

It was all in good fun... should've put the :P smiley after that statement!

Sgallan, I think you're too cool for school.

In reality, I love Canada. I think it is a beautiful country, with some of the nicest people I've ever met. And I'm a snow-lover. We don't get too much of that here in Raleigh!

In other words, "some of my best friends are Canadians"... that makes it all OK, right?

A friend I met on the internet five years ago is a Canadian. Although some of her fellow Canadians feel justified and free to attack Americans, she is one who doesn't engage in this negative behavior, which I find most refreshing! One of the things she said she admires most about Americans is our sense of patriotism, which she said, many Canadians sadly lack.

Your friend should attend more international hockey games if she wants to see Canadian patrotism. The World Junior Hockey games were held in Vancouver this year - Canada won the gold. Believe me, there was enough (and more) patrotism in that stadium and all over Canada then your friend could ever imagine.

M.

Your friend should attend more international hockey games if she wants to see Canadian patrotism. The World Junior Hockey games were held in Vancouver this year - Canada won the gold. Believe me, there was enough (and more) patrotism in that stadium and all over Canada then your friend could ever imagine.

M.

Hi, Maureen...

I believe my friend was speaking in terms of political unity. I understand some folks follow sports religiously, and I know of no other arena which is more political. LOL

- Mrs. A

<div class='quotemain'>

M.

Hi, Maureen...

I believe my friend was speaking in terms of political unity. I understand some folks follow sports religiously, and I know of no other arena which is more political. LOL

I don't think you can compare Canadian politics with American politics - it's apples and oranges, IMO. We are in the midst of an election right now - we vote Jan. 23rd. It is crazy here right now. With all the Liberal antics that have occured in the last 5 years, this is the most advertized election ever (that I can remember any way). I am not holding my breath though; the polls give us peeks into what may happen but I won't believe it until the real votes are counted. I'm not shy to admit that Ontario is a very stupid province (they've proven it in the past); so if Ontario can show they have one bit of sense - Canada has a chance.

M.

Holy cow you boys have been playing hard over night, don’t you work?

Yes you did hurt my feelings I just don’t get it, Why do you feel you have to beat your chest over your country? I love the United States I was born there and spent my youth growing up there and my family lives scattered all over. I live in Canada married to a Canadian soldier. Why does that make me any less of a American because you say so!

Snow Your Charles Manson crack is so you and really uncalled for.

You owe me an apology. Jared you too.

What makes you better then me that gives you the right to slam me and compare me to Charles Manson.

This is why I asked.

Why the US has to constantly remind them self’s its so grate?

Would someone Please explain that to me?

Why do you have to act in such a manner so you feel your grate do you need to boost?

Be humble for heaves sake its looks well pompous and that is putting it mildly.

Snow I thought Marsha’s information was so wild that my families conation to these trailers seem to have a circle effect. You are the one who made it more then it was.

I am not a fan of the “Free Trade Agreement” outsourcing takes jobs away from the US and Canada and sends them to places like Mexico and others leaving the unemployed in said county’s unemployed. I am not a fan of the Bush government like A LOT of Americans those hit my hurricanes are not dancing in the streets over Bush. So not being Bushes kissing cousin makes me less of an American. You scream free speech as long as it backs your mind set.

shanstress70

Thank you for your words.

I compare the US and Canada a lot, why? because I live here and I am from there.

I see things from the out side looking it. I have said that before and you take it as a slam to you personally “you” not the politics or life styles. I guess you cannot see it from were I sit. It gives a different prospective on just about every thing.

OK lets look at this statement:

There were those that were loyal to King George and Britain and felt the same way in the 1780s. They moved to Canada. Canada is underpopulated and I am sure it is not difficult to get a residency permit.

The French and Britain fought over Canada for years before the British scurried back to Canada after getting their butts kicked bake to Canada and Britain.

That’s why Canada is bilingual. (French and English) Canada is no longer under British control even though its has a history that connects them, (that’s sounds much like the US)

Canada is not spelled the way you think it should be spelled because it is the native / Aboriginal word for village.

Yes Canada is very under populated, if you look at places like Montana and Wyoming there under populated as well, most of Canada is farm land but for the costs. And lets not forget how cold it gets. -20’ C is considered not a bad day in the middle of winter witch starts on the prairies. Manitoba were I live the climate is severe, although the southern latitudes support extensive agriculture. Manitoba lies in the path of the Arctic Trough which funnels cold arctic air south during the winter months. This, in conjunction with the relatively unprotected prairie landscape, makes southern Manitoba were I live a harsh climate in which to live during the icy cold, wind swept months from mid-November through much of March. Manitoba has 24,000 square miles of untouched boreal forest on the eastern side of Lake Winnipeg, renowned by naturalists and sportsmen for its pristine wilderness. Canadians call the natives Aboriginal you can be a North American Indian to Eskimo. Prairie to Tundra The government pays the Aboriginals for the use of their land dating back hundreds of years.

Canada is not the poor cousins to the North it just takes special kind of people to live here.