LDS Church issues statement on immigration issue

pam

I'm curious to find out where you get this information- that some Bishops and Stake Presidents are illegal immigrants.

I know that 'the Church' was in the habit of sending illegal immigrants on missions, but I was unaware of illegal immigrants being ordained to leadership positions.

I read it in the newspapers, unfortunately the articles are no longer available. However, I recall that when the Church was approached about it, they did not deny it.

For someone who so loudly proclaims that the Church and politics should be separated, you're surprisingly often the first one to make ties between the two- or at least to assume the Church is acting partisan or (politically) ideologically.

Can you read the statement and not find a tie in to policy makers?

I will assume you haven't read it. Here you go:

"Elected individuals have the primary responsibility to find solutions in the best interests of all whose lives will be impacted by their actions.

"We repeat our appeal for careful reflection and civil discourse when addressing immigration issues. Finding a successful resolution will require the best thinking and goodwill of all across the political spectrum, the highest levels of statesmanship, and the strongest desire to do what is best for all of God's children."

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

Wow. Moksha, saying we should take our political marching orders from the Church?

What if the statement read as follows:

"Elected individuals have the primary responsibility to find solutions in the best interests of all whose lives will be impacted by their actions.

"We repeat our appeal for careful reflection and civil discourse when addressing gay marriage issues. Finding a successful resolution will require the best thinking and goodwill of all across the political spectrum, the highest levels of statesmanship, and the strongest desire to do what is best for all of God's children."

Has the thinking still been done, dear Moksha?

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Given that many Mormons were able to perform the requisite mental gymnastics that allowed them to openly disregard the following re Prop 8:

We ask that you do all you can to support the proposed constitutional amendment by donating of your means and time to assure that marriage in California is legally defined as being between a man and a woman. Our best efforts are required to preserve the sacred institution of marriage.

(and even to say some pretty nasty things about the authors of said statement),

I have no problem interpreting a general statement to "play nice, everyone" as being something other than an explicit endorsement of the open-borders crowd.

Can you read the statement and not find a tie in to policy makers?

I read the statement (but I appreciate you copy/pasting it for me). What I meant to say- and I was too terse while saying it; my apologies- was that I think you have to carry a lot of preconceived opinions on the immigration issue and partisan politics to assume that the statement is any kind of admonishment that Utah legislators be "more fair" or "nicer" than the Arizona ones.