Is Anyone Going To See The Passion Of Christ Movie

Originally posted by curvette+Feb 26 2004, 03:34 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (curvette @ Feb 26 2004, 03:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Kevin@Feb 26 2004, 02:33 PM

Perhaps others have and I'm just insensitive.

I don't think it means that you are insensitive (even though I usually think you are.) Maybe it isn't even necessarily "the spirit" that moves people to tears in this movie. It may be the reality of the pain and sacrifice made for us. Intense physical suffering is foreign to most modern people. Graphic violence is hard for me to watch too. I fainted in fifth grade watching footage of the holocaust aftermath. I just think it will be personal for every member of the audience. I don't think anyone is wrong or right for their reaction.

Curvette, trust me, I am very insensitive. Even so, I appreciated your comments.

I'm sure that the reality of the pain and sacrifice did move many to tears while viewing this movie. I suppose that my belief that the "real" suffering or the bulk of Jesus' suffering took place in the Garden of Gesthemene is what gives me a somewhat different view than many who liked the movie. Cruxifiction was at the time a common way of execution. Although it was a heinous atrocity that anybody would be put to death in such a manner, it is not, in my mind one of the central components of the Atonement - it was merely the method by which Jesus was put to death. Any other method would have been sufficient. It was in the Garden of Gesthemene that Jesus paid for all of our sins.

I did gain somewhat more of an appreciation of what Jesus went through for me, especially when I consider that the scourging and the cruxificition were almost nothing in comparison to the Garden of Gesthemene. Even so, I don't think I needed to the graphical depiction to help me gain such an appreciation.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you imagine how the disciples of Jesus felt as they watched our Lord go through this?

Can you imagine how Mary, the mother of Jesus, felt as she watched her son go through this?

The people who knew our Lord and watched Him go through this didn’t walk away smiling after seeing this, and the people who watch this movie aren’t supposed to go away smiling after seeing this movie either. This movie may bring us as close as we’re ever going to be in imagining what it was like for our Lord to go through this, and if it does nothing more than give me a better idea of what He went through as I think about Him during sacrament meeting, it is well worth watching.

Btw, most of us know that our Lord was resurrected, and can imagine how much joy there was in seeing Him risen. But before that, there was this, and this was necessary.

Originally posted by JLHyde+Feb 26 2004, 03:00 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JLHyde @ Feb 26 2004, 03:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Snow@Feb 24 2004, 04:50 PM

..."my delicate little rose petal," as he is want to call her.

"...as he is wont to call her."

The above is the correct 17th-century [King James Bible English-] wording: the word "want" is not. [/b]

Yeah, well, I'm fairly certain many of us were quite aware of this faux pas, but chose to overlook it since it was so very obvious. Besides, most don't like to seem too seriously pedantic--humorously pedantic, maybe.

There has been a lot of hoopla and commentary about The Passion of the Christ. I became anxious to see it last year when I first heard about it. I knew it would be a good movie, but had no idea how a piece of film could change my life.

I remember seeing Schindler's List in France and remember the surreal feeling afterwards... I left seeing it feeling numb and devoid of all emotion. I didn't want to let it sink in that such happened to human beings.

I had told Patti and others that I felt compelled to see the Passion alone. I wanted to have a date with Jesus. Him and me... together.

I arrived at the theatre early. I had an emotionally exhausting day yesterday and just needed some time to sit, let go and prepare. Me and a man about my age entered the theatre together. We didn't say anything to each other, but I could tell he had come there for the same reasons I did.

As I took my seat I felt led to pray and let go of myself. Surrender. Complete surrender. I watched as each person came in and watched at how they were laughing and joking, talking about all matters of life, carrying their popcorn and sodas. I prayed over each one.

I liked the fact there were no previews to taint the movie. That relieved me.

As the opening scene began I asked the Holy Spirit to be with me and open my eyes so that I may see what my Lord did for me on Calvary over 2000 years ago. It was soon after with the first word I heard "Adonai" that I began to tremble. My whole body -- trembled. I watched as my Lord rejected his own will and accepted the will of his Abba. It was in that scene the tears began to stream silently down my cheeks.

People say the movie is violent. I don't think so. I think movies like Bruce Willis and even Mel Gibson have played in are violent. The Passion was graphic as was Schindler's List.

There were a few scenes that has stayed with me. Watching Mary as she watched her son be taken to trial, be beaten, watching him fall, seeing him nailed to the cross, and hearing his last words to her... words cannot describe how I felt watching her. In one of the scenes as she is holding Jesus after he had been taken down from the cross she looks out and I felt she was looking right at me with the expression of "why did you let this happen to my son?"

Another part of the movie that I think will stay with me a very long time was when Jesus took the bread and the wine and offered them to his disciples. I do not think I will ever look at the Lord's Supper in the same way again.

As to the various characters... I could see myself in each one at various points in my life. I could see myself in Judas, Peter, Herod, Pilate, the man who helped carry the cross, Satan, the Pharisees and the woman who wanted to offer her Lord a drink. I saw myself in everyone except for Jesus.

As the movie ended the same laughing trivial people who came in now left in utter silence and most were in tears.

I sat and continued to pray and still trembling and crying. I looked over and it was the same who came in with me that were left. I looked at him and he and me and we cried together. It was there in a movie theatre in O'Fallon, Illinois that I rededicated my life to Christ.

As I walked out to my car a song bursted forth out my mouth and I began to sing aloud which is rare for me to do... a hymn.

"Were you there when they crucifed my Lord? Were you there when they crucifed my Lord? Oh! Sometimes it causes me to tremble, tremble, tremble. Were you there when they crucifed my Lord?"

Blessed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Peace@Feb 27 2004, 09:48 AM

hmmmmm...big words..... ;) But ....wouldn't even using the word 'pedantic' put you in the same catagory? :lol::D:P

What? You mean like using the word "pious" or "sanctimonious" or "literate"? I'm not forcing you to read my posts, am I? Oh, that's right. As a board monitor, I guess you have to read/examine 'em all. Wow, I sure don't envy you that job. Some of these posts can be as dry as a witch's *** and longer than her nose.

Originally posted by Blessed@Feb 27 2004, 10:33 AM

I knew it would be a good movie, but had no idea how a piece of film could change my life.

Lest we forget--it is just a film, with actors and directors, etc., etc., etc. Let's also not forget Dan Quayle and how he blamed Murphy Brown for all the illegitimate kids out there. One of those two was a fictitious character, though I'm darned if I can remember which one it was.

Guest Starsky

I sat and continued to pray and still trembling and crying. I looked over and it was the same who came in with me that were left. I looked at him and he and me and we cried together. It was there in a movie theatre in O'Fallon, Illinois that I rededicated my life to Christ.

As I walked out to my car a song bursted forth out my mouth and I began to sing aloud which is rare for me to do... a hymn.

"Were you there when they crucifed my Lord? Were you there when they crucifed my Lord? Oh! Sometimes it causes me to tremble, tremble, tremble. Were you there when they crucifed my Lord?"

Blessed

That was beautiful...thank you Blessed,...you truly are blessed.

Originally posted by Kevin@Feb 26 2004, 02:33 PM

I didn't care for the movie - it was extremely gruesome for extended periods of time. I think Mel Gibson was going for maximum shock value and if he didn't get it he came close....

Kevin~

Somehow I think that it is the shock value that needs to be taken in by a lot of people who don't have the faith and the convictions you do. There are so many who consider themselves "Christians" who really don't have a clue the pain and suffering that Christ went thru, all they have heard are the white washed stories. And if this movie helps to open the eyes and the hearts of multitudes of wishy washy "Christians" then I think it is a great tool for the Lord to use.

For those who understand more than what the movie depicts of Christ and His sacrifice, for those who experience the Spirit for the first time, for those who are moved with emotions they never had watching a movie, and for those who rededicate their lives to their Savior..... :) For the good things that will come out of this movie.....it will be worth all the controversy.

This phenomenon still amazes me to no end. IT WAS A MOVIE. IT WAS FILMED WITH MEL GIBSON'S DIRECTION, IMAGINATION, POETIC LICENSE AND VISION. THEY WERE ACTORS. THEY WORE COSTUMES AND LOTS OF MAKE-UP. IT WASN'T AN EPISODE OF "SURVIVOR" OR ANY OTHER REALITY SHOW.

Did those of you who saw "The Exorcist" give it the same credence and awe? Probably the same ones who viewed the subject film as a documentary.

I blame Richard Hatch.

BTW, I have not seen the MOVIE, and probably will not, unless I have a sudden urge of masochism. (2 hours of beating, whipping, blood flying, and death, mmmm, mmmmmm, that's were I want to throw away 10 bucks)

Guest Starsky

Originally posted by Rodney@Feb 28 2004, 06:49 AM

This phenomenon still amazes me to no end. IT WAS A MOVIE. IT WAS FILMED WITH MEL GIBSON'S DIRECTION, IMAGINATION, POETIC LICENSE AND VISION. THEY WERE ACTORS. THEY WORE COSTUMES AND LOTS OF MAKE-UP. IT WASN'T AN EPISODE OF "SURVIVOR" OR ANY OTHER REALITY SHOW.

Did those of you who saw "The Exorcist" give it the same credence and awe? Probably the same ones who viewed the subject film as a documentary.

I blame Richard Hatch.

BTW, I have not seen the MOVIE, and probably will not, unless I have a sudden urge of masochism. (2 hours of beating, whipping, blood flying, and death, mmmm, mmmmmm, that's were I want to throw away 10 bucks)

Wow...here you go again Rod ol' boy...showing just how shallow you are...again.

You need some depth in your perceptions...some compassion. You really are the living proof of that scripture about the love of men waxing (((((COLD)))))).

BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Guest Starsky
Originally posted by Rodney+Feb 28 2004, 07:50 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rodney @ Feb 28 2004, 07:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Peace@Feb 27 2004, 10:47 AM

Rodney...if you are going to be a bull in a china closet...

Just out of curiousity--might that be considered by an outsider (you know, someone who is NOT an appointed board moderator/rules keeper) as "name calling"?

Grandpa Rodney

Have you not literary understanding either? That was a metaphor.

met·a·phor ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mt-fôr, -fr)

n.

A figure of speech in which a word or phrase that ordinarily designates one thing is used to designate another, thus making an implicit comparison, as in “a sea of troubles” or “All the world's a stage” (Shakespeare).

I was being literary, not calling you a name.

Originally posted by Peace+Feb 28 2004, 09:16 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peace @ Feb 28 2004, 09:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Rodney@Feb 28 2004, 07:50 AM

<!--QuoteBegin--Peace@Feb 27 2004, 10:47 AM

Rodney...if you are going to be a bull in a china closet...

Just out of curiousity--might that be considered by an outsider (you know, someone who is NOT an appointed board moderator/rules keeper) as "name calling"?

Grandpa Rodney

Have you not literary understanding either? That was a metaphor.

met·a·phor ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mt-fôr, -fr)

n.

A figure of speech in which a word or phrase that ordinarily designates one thing is used to designate another, thus making an implicit comparison, as in “a sea of troubles” or “All the world's a stage” (Shakespeare).

I was being literary, not calling you a name.

Oh, well of course. And that's makes so very much difference, doesn't it?

Grandpa "Bull in a China Closet" Rodney

Guest Starsky

It certainly does. It makes life so much more picturesque and colorful....

And it also helps those who only relate by comparisons...you know the type.... :D;)

Originally posted by Peace@Feb 28 2004, 09:26 AM

And it also helps those who only relate by comparisons...you know the type.... :D;)

Well, let's just say I best not mention the colorful and picturesque comparison I would make of you.

I also don't think it wise to send an unarmed defenseless person onto a battlefield.

Guest Starsky
Originally posted by Rodney+Feb 28 2004, 08:35 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rodney @ Feb 28 2004, 08:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Peace@Feb 28 2004, 09:26 AM

Well, let's just say I best not mention the colorful and picturesque comparison I would make of you.

I also don't think it wise to send an unarmed defenseless person onto a battlefield.

Why would you mention a battle field....it seems so incongruous.

Originally posted by Peace+Feb 28 2004, 09:51 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peace @ Feb 28 2004, 09:51 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Rodney@Feb 28 2004, 08:35 AM

<!--QuoteBegin--Peace@Feb 28 2004, 09:26 AM

Why would you mention a battle field....it seems so incongruous.

Simple. You have the power (weapons) to ban or moderate me. I have nothing. You can use whatever colorful comparisons you like on me. You think maybe I can? Yeah, sure. I may not be the brightest bulb in the pack, but neither am I the dimmest.

Guest Starsky

You see 'moderating' as weapons? Golly....woooo....I see them as tools for keeping the house clean. Like a broom...

Now if you want to say I am being a bull in a china closet....I will accept that.

Or if you want to make up your own metaphor or simile...I will accept that.

But it must be picturesque and give a correct image which relates directly to the 'happening'....

You can't just out and out call me names in a rage....it has to have finess and be used for the purpose of bringing a better understanding and grace to the board.

OKAY?

Originally posted by Kevin@Feb 26 2004, 06:39 PM

JLHyde,

I appreciate your comments. I agree. I think the thing that was the very most disappointing to me was that the movie was so lacking of hope. Yes, at the end there was a small portion deaing with resurrection (being vague here for those who have yet to see the movie) but by that time I was so chaffed from the torture that if there was anything to be felt at that point I missed it entirely.

Another part that wasn't necessarily disappointing but that was missing was any emphasis on Christ's suffering in the Garden of Gesthemene. As we many on this board know, LDS doctrine is that the vast majority of Jesus' suffering was in the Garden of Gesthemene where he sweat blood from every pore. Although it was missing, I didn't expect it to be there considering Mel Gibson's Catholic roots.

So...........

What happens with the ressurection?

I won't be seeing this moviefor a while, On Wednseday I decided to give up rated R movies for 40 days (jk, I gave them up a few years ago). Anyway, I won't be seeing the movie, so explain everything.