In the early 60's All Americans Looked Like Mormons

Vanhin

A recent article from the New York Times brought my attention back to something I had wondered about before. It seems like in the early 60's, before the sexual revolution, Mormonism seemed more mainstream than ever before or after...

Here's a snippet from the article.

Several historians said the brief, shimmering moment of the Tabernacle Choir in cold-warrior mode also captured something about the nation itself.

Much of American music and society in 1962 was in sync — in a way perhaps never before or since — with the buttoned-down world of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Suburbs and large, baby-boom families were in vogue, and that made the Mormons, who’d fled to Utah to escape persecution in the 1840s, look more like everybody else than they ever had.

“Mormonism seemed to fit with what America perceived itself to be at that moment,” said Walter P. Reeve, an associate professor of history at the University of Utah who teaches a course on Utah in the cold war.

Music technology played a role in the choir’s — and thus the church’s — march toward the mainstream. The first recordings, using giant sound-collecting horns suspended from the ceiling of the tabernacle, were released in 1910. A Sunday radio broadcast began in 1929, mixing choral swell with what church authorities call “the spoken word” of scriptural message.

A recording contract with the Columbia label in the late 1950s expanded the choir’s repertory toward secular standards; its “Battle Hymn of the Republic” won a Grammy Award in 1959. (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/arts/music/22choir.html?_r=1&sq=mormon%20tabernacle%20choir&st=cse&scp=2&pagewanted=all)

Those were the good old days, when every American was indistinguishable from their fellow American Mormons in many apparent ways.

Any thoughts on the matter, especially with some of the threads we've had asserting that Mormons are just now trying to become mainstream?

Regards,

Vanhin

I agree with the author that the 1960's America happen to be in sync, culturally, with Mormons.

Much of American music and society in 1962 was in sync — in a way perhaps never before or since — with the buttoned-down world of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Suburbs and large, baby-boom families were in vogue, and that made the Mormons, who’d fled to Utah to escape persecution in the 1840s, look more like everybody else than they ever had.

Vanhin

Edited by Vanhin

Music technology played a role in the choir’s — and thus the church’s — march toward the mainstream. The first recordings, using giant sound-collecting horns suspended from the ceiling of the tabernacle, were released in 1910. A Sunday radio broadcast began in 1929, mixing choral swell with what church authorities call “the spoken word” of scriptural message.

I knew it! Mormons have horns!!

Guest mormonmusic
Hidden

I read an article recently that describes how the Church has gone through periods of assimilation and retrenchment over the years. Assimilation refers to a movement toward contemporary thought, and retrenchment refers to a movement towards singularity and peculiarity by emphasizing those things that make us unique. Examples of assimlation would be the change to monogamy and priesthood-holding regardless of race. Retrenchment refers to emphasis on temples, the Book of Mormon, etcetera.

Regarding the way we dress, when I'm out on splits, so many people just turn off as soon as they see the white shirts and ties. I also think a new look would be welcome and refreshing.

I personally think the Church assimilated during the 60's with their change in dress. Personally, I wouldn't object to a period of assimilation now where colorful shirts are considered acceptable (not Hawaiian, but certainly blues, greens, and yellow etcetera). Also I've been lurking on the web at other sites, and I was amazed at how many people are yearning for more contemporary music. I'd love it if modern beautiful songs were written for the Church by contemporary latter-day artists. Songs like "We are As the Armies of Helaman" (or maybe its calle "We'll Bring the World His Truth") for example.

This would represent retrenchment by creating hymns that celebrate the unique aspects of our religion, while providing some healthy assimilation at the same time by making our hymns more contemporary, yet still spiritual and uplifting....