Hosea 4 & Priestcraft

prisonchaplain

I'm probably broadening the meaning of this LDS term far out of its original intention...however, my reading of Hosea 4 and what I hear concerning the concept here, is that whenever a priest (priesthood holder?...for non-LDS, think 'priesthood of all believers') uses Christian or spiritual authority and relationship for selfish ends it is the very kind of thing Hosea 4 so roundly condemns. How does this look today, and how can we avoid such grievous sin?

I'm probably broadening the meaning of this LDS term far out of its original intention...however, my reading of Hosea 4 and what I hear concerning the concept here, is that whenever a priest (priesthood holder?...for non-LDS, think 'priesthood of all believers') uses Christian or spiritual authority and relationship for selfish ends it is the very kind of thing Hosea 4 so roundly condemns. How does this look today, and how can we avoid such grievous sin?

How does it look today? Well I think inside the LDS church and outside the LDS church it often looks slightly different. Outside the LDS church I think you will often find it in church leaders who use the offerings they get from their followers to give themselves more than they need. Ministers who buy the big house and the fancy car. I think those leaders should be giving more to the church and less to themselves. I understand that for many ministers this is how they gain their livelihood, by gaining income from the church. However I think there are some who take it too far and use the money for things it was not intended for.

Inside the LDS church I think you see it differently because ours is a lay church, meaning we don't get paid for what we do. I think you can see it when priesthood holders use the fact that they hold the priesthood to undermine those who don't, like a husband who expects his wife to do everything he tells her to because he holds the priesthood. Or even people who use their position in the church to enhance their personal business. I think these people need to stop using the priesthood and their positions in the wrong manner.

A good example in my mind was the now deceased Pastor Sheaffer, head pastor of Crossroads Cathedral in Oklahoma City.

This is a picture of Pastor Sheaffer's mansion (though I could swear it was actually bigger than this):

Posted Image

While I won't fault a person for being a big success as a businessman, is being a Pastor the same thing as being a businessman? This is a very large house funded 100% by Church tithes and offerings. Wouldn't it have been more appropriate for Mr. Sheaffer to have lived in a more modest home and to have given the surplus to the poor and needy?

The odd thing was that members of the congregation were all in favor of having their Pastor live in a big mansion as it made them feel like theirs was a prosperous congregation.

Edited by Faded

I assume we're talking about this passage:

Hosea 4:5-13 (King James Version)

6 ¶ My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.

7 As they were increased, so they sinned against me: therefore will I change their glory into shame.

8 They eat up the sin of my people, and they set their heart on their iniquity.

9 And there shall be, like people, like priest: and I will punish them for their ways, and reward them their doings.

10 For they shall eat, and not have enough: they shall commit whoredom, and shall not increase: because they have left off to take heed to the LORD.

11 Whoredom and wine and new wine take away the heart.

12 My people ask counsel at their stocks, and their staff declareth unto them: for the spirit of whoredoms hath caused them to err, and they have gone a whoring from under their God.

13 They sacrifice upon the tops of the mountains, and burn incense upon the hills, under oaks and poplars and elms, because the shadow thereof is good: therefore your daughters shall commit whoredom, and your spouses shall commit adultery.

14 I will not punish your daughters when they commit whoredom, nor your spouses when they commit adultery: for themselves are separated with whores, and they sacrifice with harlots: therefore the people that doth not understand shall fall.

Hosea 4:5-13 (New International Version)

6 my people are destroyed from lack of knowledge. "Because you have rejected knowledge, I also reject you as my priests; because you have ignored the law of your God, I also will ignore your children.

7 The more the priests increased, the more they sinned against me; they exchanged their Glory for something disgraceful.

8 They feed on the sins of my people and relish their wickedness.

9 And it will be: Like people, like priests. I will punish both of them for their ways and repay them for their deeds.

10 "They will eat but not have enough; they will engage in prostitution but not increase, because they have deserted the LORD to give themselves

11 to prostitution, to old wine and new, which take away the understanding

12 of my people. They consult a wooden idol and are answered by a stick of wood. A spirit of prostitution leads them astray; they are unfaithful to their God.

13 They sacrifice on the mountaintops and burn offerings on the hills, under oak, poplar and terebinth, where the shade is pleasant. Therefore your daughters turn to prostitution and your daughters-in-law to adultery.

If that is the case, then priestcraft is reference to leading people in false practices, false doctrines and making accommodation with paganism at it's most vile -- the worship of Baal and the "sacred prostitution" involved therein. It seems to me that the thing the Lord was the most upset about was that the priests and false prophets of the Northern Kingdom were keeping the people of Israel blinded to the better truth. What we know of the Northern Kingdom is that King Jeroboam apparently created a corrupted version of the worship of Jehovah. It seems that the golden calf idols at Dan and Beth-el were put in place as corrupt form of worshiping Jehovah. It just happened to do so in direct violation of the commandments given by Jehovah to Moses.

So it includes what Tarnished said about taking more than what is necessary certainly, but there is more to it than that.

I wonder whether Hosea isn't drawing on the Jewish idea that Israel is a nation of priests that is supposed to mediate between God and all mankind; but rather than fulfilling their duties Israel has become enamored of sin? Verse 13 refers to traditional priestly duties, as (possibly) does verse 8 (weren't the priests supposed to eat the leftover meat from the sacrifices, under Mosaic law?).

In that respect, Hosea 4 seems closely allied with the NT ideas of the believers being the salt of the earth, and our responsibility to let our lights shine to the earth that others will glorify our Father in Heaven.

One a side note:

"priesthood holder?...for non-LDS, think 'priesthood of all believers' "

Considering that every worthy male member of the church is a Priesthood Holder, there is not a huge amount of difference between the foundational concept of "Priesthood Holder" vs "Priesthood of All Believers." Both fulfill 1 Peter 2:9.

Anyways, that's a side topic.

Excellent responses all. I especially appreciated JAG's insight that Israel was supposed to be "a city on a hill" that would draw all men to him...the very ideal of a priest as mediator. Also, the "salt and light" command dovetails well with Paul's declaration that we are a holy nation a royal priesthood. And, I certainly agree with Faded that, in practice, the LDS priesthood is very similar to the evangelical and Baptist doctrine of all believers being priests.

Now, to throw a bit of a monkey wrench in the focus on pastors living high on the hog--however true those observations are, perhaps all of us priests should consider if we cling too much to the materials God blesses us with?

Now, to throw a bit of a monkey wrench in the focus on pastors living high on the hog--however true those observations are, perhaps all of us priests should consider if we cling too much to the materials God blesses us with?

Absolutely. Can't think of a Biblical passage off the top of my head, but consider:

17 Think of your brethren like unto yourselves, and be familiar with all and free with your substance, that they may be rich like unto you.

18 But before ye seek for riches, seek ye for the kingdom of God.

19 And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to do good—to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted.

I read a report that the Florida pastor who is wanting to burn Qurans lives in a mansion, while the chapel is modest.

The Lord warned those priesthood holders (which I believe means in both LDS and evangelical senses) of the abuse of power:

34 Behold, there are many called, but few are chosen. And why are they not chosen? 35 Because their hearts are set so much upon the things of this world, and aspire to the honors of men, that they do not learn this one lesson—

36 That the rights of the priesthood are inseparably connected with the powers of heaven, and that the powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only (except) upon the principles of righteousness.

37 That they may be conferred upon us, it is true; but when we undertake to cover our sins, or to gratify our pride, our vain ambition, or to exercise control or dominion or compulsion upon the souls of the children of men, in any degree of unrighteousness, behold, the heavens withdraw themselves; the Spirit of the Lord is grieved; and when it is withdrawn, Amen to the priesthood or the authority of that man.

38 Behold, ere he is aware, he is left unto himself, to kick against the pricks, to persecute the saints, and to fight against God.

39 We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion.

40 Hence many are called, but few are chosen.

41 No power or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the priesthood, only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned;

42 By kindness, and pure knowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without guile—

43 Reproving betimes with sharpness, when moved upon by the Holy Ghost; and then showing forth afterwards an increase of love toward him whom thou hast reproved, lest he esteem thee to be his enemy;

44 That he may know that thy faithfulness is stronger than the cords of death.

45 Let thy bowels also be full of charity towards all men, and to the household of faith, and let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God; and the doctrine of the priesthood shall distil upon thy soul as the dews from heaven.

46 The Holy Ghost shall be thy constant companion, and thy scepter an unchanging scepter of righteousness and truth; and thy dominion shall be an everlasting dominion, and without compulsory means it shall flow unto thee forever and ever.(D&C 121)

In the Book of Mormon, Nephi quotes Isaiah regarding the evils of men and priestcraft, then expounds upon the sin that destroyed Israel and Judah:

19 And it shall come to pass, that those who have dwindled in unbelief shall be smitten by the hand of the Gentiles. 20 And the Gentiles are lifted up in the pride of their eyes, and have stumbled, because of the greatness of their stumbling block, that they have built up many churches; nevertheless, they put down the power and miracles of God, and preach up unto themselves their own wisdom and their own learning, that they may get gain and grind upon the face of the poor.

21 And there are many churches built up which cause envyings, and strifes, and malice.

22 And there are also secret combinations, even as in times of old, according to the combinations of the devil, for he is the founder of all these things; yea, the founder of murder, and works of darkness; yea, and he leadeth them by the neck with a flaxen cord, until he bindeth them with his strong cords forever.

23 For behold, my beloved brethren, I say unto you that the Lord God worketh not in darkness.

24 He doeth not anything save it be for the benefit of the world; for he loveth the world, even that he layeth down his own life that he may draw all men unto him. Wherefore, he commandeth none that they shall not partake of his salvation.

25 Behold, doth he cry unto any, saying: Depart from me? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; but he saith: Come unto me all ye ends of the earth, buy milk and honey, without money and without price.

26 Behold, hath he commanded any that they should depart out of the synagogues, or out of the houses of worship? Behold, I say unto you, Nay.

27 Hath he commanded any that they should not partake of his salvation? Behold I say unto you, Nay; but he hath given it free for all men; and he hath commanded his people that they should persuade all men to repentance.

28 Behold, hath the Lord commanded any that they should not partake of his goodness? Behold I say unto you, Nay; but all men are privileged the one like unto the other, and none are forbidden.

29 He commandeth that there shall be no priestcrafts; for, behold, priestcrafts are that men preach and set themselves up for a light unto the world, that they may get gain and praise of the world; but they seek not the welfare of Zion.

30 Behold, the Lord hath forbidden this thing; wherefore, the Lord God hath given a commandment that all men should have charity, which charity is love. And except they should have charity they were nothing. Wherefore, if they should have charity they would not suffer the laborer in Zion to perish.

31 But the laborer in Zion shall labor for Zion; for if they labor for money they shall perish. (2 Nephi 26)

I find that those who condemn Mormons or Pentecostals for being different in the religion (or Buddhists, Muslims, etc), and are denied Christ's atoning salvation by such religionists, is condemned by Nephi. And this is Nephi's interpretation of Isaiah's writings.

In the last area of my mission in Bolivia, we had several pastors ask us missionaries to visit a certain pastor and take him to task for enriching himself on the tithes of his followers. We did just that, as the man had several businesses and a nice house, all paid for by tithes, while his followers were pretty poor. He tried to accuse us of getting rich off the moneys of poor Bolivians, until we told him we were there on our own earned funds; while he was buying up auto mechanic shops and other businesses (we actually talked to him at one of his businesses). We didn't sway him, but several others saw and heard the discussion, as we explained to him that a true servant of Christ does not enrich himself on the backs of Christ's children.

Hosea's message is one of Isaiah's major messages. The spouse and children of God (Israel and it inhabitants) must be holy and serve God. Instead, they sought to enrich themselves. Instead of just judgments, lands were taken from the poor and given to the rich. A perfect example of this is when King Ahab killed Naboth in order to take Naboth's ancestral field to make a vegetable garden.

The Book of Mormon gives us a good idea of what was happening in Jerusalem in 600 BC. The elders of the Church were obviously accustomed to sneaking around at night, as Zoram thought nothing of Nephi (disguised as the official Laban) going out at night with sacred writings to take to the brethren. Meanwhile, the powerful official Laban (he commanded 50 soldiers or more) saw no harm in taking the riches of Lehi for himself and trying to slay Nephi and his brethren in order to accomplish it.

So we have Isaiah himself warn us (and this is a key part Nephi comments on):

8 ¶ Woe unto them that join house to house, that lay field to field, till there be no place, that they may be placed alone in the midst of the earth! 9 In mine ears said the Lord of hosts, Of a truth many houses shall be desolate, even great and fair, without inhabitant.

10 Yea, ten acres of vineyard shall yield one bath, and the seed of an homer shall yield an ephah.

11 ¶ Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them!

12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the Lord, neither consider the operation of his hands.

13 ¶ Therefore my people are gone into captivity, because they have no knowledge: and their honourable men are famished, and their multitude dried up with thirst.

14 Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure: and their glory, and their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it.

15 And the mean man shall be brought down, and the mighty man shall be humbled, and the eyes of the lofty shall be humbled:

16 But the Lord of hosts shall be exalted in judgment, and God that is holy shall be sanctified in righteousness.

17 Then shall the lambs feed after their manner, and the waste places of the fat ones shall strangers eat.

18 Woe unto them that draw iniquity with cords of vanity, and sin as it were with a cart rope:

19 That say, Let him make speed, and hasten his work, that we may see it: and let the counsel of the Holy One of Israel draw nigh and come, that we may know it!

20 ¶ Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

21 Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!

22 Woe unto them that are mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle strong drink:

23 Which justify the wicked for reward, and take away the righteousness of the righteous from him!

24 Therefore as the fire devoureth the stubble, and the flame consumeth the chaff, so their root shall be as rottenness, and their blossom shall go up as dust: because they have cast away the law of the Lord of hosts, and despised the word of the Holy One of Israel.

25 Therefore is the anger of the Lord kindled against his people, and he hath stretched forth his hand against them, and hath smitten them: and the hills did tremble, and their carcases were torn in the midst of the streets. For all this his anger is not turned away, but his hand is stretched out still. (Isaiah 5)

Here is where priestcraft comes in, whether in the Melchizedek Priesthood, the Priesthood of All Believers, or those called to serve the people politically (kings, presidents, etc). And this is Hosea's key point in the chapter.

Such teachings can be found in Matthew 6: Seek first God's kingdom then all the rest follows (my paraphrase), and again in Matthew 25, where we are told to visit the sick and imprisoned, and to feed and clothe the poor and widows.

We should be careful about pointing accusing fingers at others though. I still recall one of the Chinese (mainland) students at my school blaming me because my wife and I had two cars. This was 1996, and we had a stripped "plain Jane" Toyota Corolla and a 1984 Chevy Celebrity. Make/model and year did not matter to him though. He simply could not understand how a pastor could have two cars.

A good example in my mind was the now deceased Pastor Sheaffer, head pastor of Crossroads Cathedral in Oklahoma City.

This is a picture of Pastor Sheaffer's mansion (though I could swear it was actually bigger than this):

Posted Image

While I won't fault a person for being a big success as a businessman, is being a Pastor the same thing as being a businessman? This is a very large house funded 100% by Church tithes and offerings. Wouldn't it have been more appropriate for Mr. Sheaffer to have lived in a more modest home and to have given the surplus to the poor and needy?

The odd thing was that members of the congregation were all in favor of having their Pastor live in a big mansion as it made them feel like theirs was a prosperous congregation.

I did some investigating and found out that this picture is really the Governor's Mansion in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

Roger Johnson's Welcome to America

And I found an obituary for Rev. Daniel Sheaffer, who seemed like a very much loved Pastor.

http://rss.ag.org/articles/detail.cfm?RSS_RSSContentID=17226&RSS_OriginatingChannelID=1184&RSS_OriginatingRSSFeedID=3359&RSS_Source=rssFile_3359

M.

It could be incriminating... it could be that his house was larger, as he suspected.

I don't mind people doing well. But, it would seem if you make your living off church contributions, you would be careful about showing your wealth.

I met the pastor of the local "big" church in our area several years ago. I was waiting in a restaraunt line. I was told it would be 45 minutes. They do not take reservations. After waiting about 5 minutes I saw him walk in the door. He was wearing a big fur coat over his Armani suit. He had huge diamond rings on nearly every finger, and was accompanied by what could only have been 2 body guards. I peeked outside and the limo with driver had dropped him off at the door. When the hostess saw him she said "Mr. _____, your table is ready, right this way please."

I'm not saying all abuse it, but some certainly do.

Oh, and a couple years later he built a new even bigger church in the rich part of town just to the north of us. There are 3 huge, very tall sculpures of crosses in the front yard of the church. They cost over a million dollars for each statue. Membership was by invitation only.

What's with that?

I did some investigating and found out that this picture is really the

And I found an obituary for Rev. Daniel Sheaffer, who seemed like a very much loved Pastor.

M.

I'm not going to say that he wasn't loved. He was. But his mansion was absolutely enormous! Loved or not, I think that's misuse of the tithes and offerings. And if he wasn't loved he'd have never brought in nearly the amount of money needed to live in a giant mansion, right?

I knew that couldn't be the right house. Way too small.

Yeah, but it is more fun to talk about the extreme end of this than to consider the ways we might be personally misusing that which God gave us. ;)

I do think that is a valid point, though. Where we have been borne up by blessings, we should be very generous with what we have. I am still a college student and don't have much in time or money, but I am trying to give what I have. I am reminded of a story about the Houston Texas Temple. President Hinckley went out to inspect the site with one of the stake presidents in the area. As they drove to the site, he looked around at all the mansions and elaborate houses in the immediate neighborhood of the temple, and said to the stake president, "I hope you don't live in one of these." The stake president was glad to say that he did not. The principle, I think, of the story and of what Jesus taught is that we should live on what we need, and give the surplus to the poor. This is not to say that we need to take a vow of poverty, but our thoughts should be with those that have less. A true priest of Jesus Christ would be concerned with the temporal (and spiritual) welfare of Christ's sheep, both lost and found.

I'm not going to say that he wasn't loved. He was. But his mansion was absolutely enormous! Loved or not, I think that's misuse of the tithes and offerings. And if he wasn't loved he'd have never brought in nearly the amount of money needed to live in a giant mansion, right?

I knew that couldn't be the right house. Way too small.

The problem Faded is that the picture you provided was incorrect. Why should I believe that this man became wealthy off of his congregation? You have provided no proof. Since Rev. Sheaffer recently passed away, the internet is showing his obituary and the information provided does not give the impression that this Minister abused his leadership and became wealthy in the process. On the other hand I can only find the opposite. This man was a giver, an innovator. If you have something to back up your claim, I would like to see it.

M.

Maureen's right. I did some digging, and found that the late Pastor Sheaffer was widely regarded with warm affection. I googled in several different ways to try to sniff out any scandal or hint of financial impropriety. There was none. Back in the late 80s there were plenty such articles for some of the big-name evangelists. Instead, Sheaffer led churches to major giving for missions, and he preached racial reconciliation in Oklahoma. Within a few years of his well-deserved retirement he came out of it to start up a new church. For the uninitiated, planting new churches is hardly what "priestcraft," is about. It's hard work with few material rewards.