". . .and he shall go no more out. . ."

JohnnyRudick

Was discussing many things with friends and one of my "little" brothers and I was presented with this verse out of Revelations.

I had read it many times and never looked at it quite the way it was presented to me today.

What do you make of this part of this verse?

Revelation 3:12 "Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the

temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write

upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God,

which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my

God: and I will write upon him my new name."

Was discussing many things with friends and one of my "little" brothers and I was presented with this verse out of Revelations.

I had read it many times and never looked at it quite the way it was presented to me today.

What do you make of this part of this verse?

Revelation 3:12 "Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the

temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write

upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God,

which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my

God: and I will write upon him my new name."

Tio me it says that he is done searching, or will not be wayward iany more.

Here is what Orson Hyde has to say about this:

Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God,” . Do we ever wish to see the time when we can retire from the scenes of every day life, to the temple of God, and go no more out? Are we looking for a period of this kind? Yes, when we shall be made pillars in the temple of our God. We know when a pillar is placed in a building, it is placed there to remain, pillars are not often removed. All pillars are considered permanent; they are not to be taken away, because the removing of them endangers the safety of the building. In order to be made pillars in the temple of our God, what are we to do? WE MUST OVERCOME.

…If there is any thing in this world my soul desires the most, it is that I may overcome, and be made a pillar in the Temple of my God, and remain at home in the society that is continually warming my spirit, encouraging my feeling, with that which is congenial with every principle of my nature; let me bask in their goodly presence, live in their affections, dwell forever in the midst of their society, and go no more out. And may God in His mercy help us all to overcome every obstacle, and endure hardships like good soldiers of the Lamb, and dwell eternally in the mansions of light; which may God grant for Christ's sake. Amen. (Journal of Discourses, 26 vols. [London: Latter-day Saints' Book Depot, 1854-1886], 1: 127, 130.)

This a couple seemed to think at Church today wanted to use this to confirm some sort of idea that we are born over and over on this earth till we get it right and then we would "go no more out" of the presence of the heavenly beings to learn on this earth.

I said much the same as all your comments.

Happy to be in good company:)

"Exalted Saints are compared to the pillars of a temple, which are stable, strong, and permanent fixtures of the temple precinct. In a similar manner the Saints will stand forever in the heavenly temple, never to be removed by evil forces. John explains that such individuals will "go no more out" of the temple. Compare Gal. 2:9, in which Peter, James, and John were "pillars" in the church." - Understanding the Book of Revelation

by Jay A. Parry, Donald W. Parry

"Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God" (Rev. 3:12). "That is, he shall have exaltation and godhood. As Deity now is, he shall become. He shall have eternal life." - Sermons and Writings of Bruce R. McConkie by Bruce R. McConkie

"Paul referred to Peter, James, and John as "pillars" of the Church. (See Galatians 2:9.) A pillar holds the weight of the building. If we keep in mind the beauty of Greek and Roman edifices, the image becomes more striking. The word suggests responsibility, leadership, and weight in Christ's dominion. It also suggests permanency, especially when coupled with the phrase "he shall go no more out." This is the last testing period. As Paul said of his own life, the battle is almost won; the race nears its end, the open door issues an inviting welcome, the celestial radiance already warms the face. Once admitted back into the temple of our Father, we will never leave again. There will assuredly be much to learn, but the outcome in our own minds will never again be in doubt. " - Who Shall Be Able to Stand? by S. Michael Wilcox

For the couple at church with the pseudo-reincarnation-Karma-cycle notions, you could have responded with Hebrews 9:27.

"And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment..."

We don't die and come back around again. There's only one mortal life per customer.

Best anti-reincarnation scripture in the Book of Mormon.

Alma 11: 45 Now, behold, I have spoken unto you concerning the death of the mortal body, and also concerning the resurrection of the mortal body. I say unto you that this mortal body is raised to an immortal body, that is from death, even from the first death unto life, that they can die no more; their spirits uniting with their bodies, never to be divided; thus the whole becoming spiritual and immortal, that they can no more see corruption.