Let's Start Searching

StrawberryFields

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Anyone know of the biblical passage that talks about not devoting time to geneologies? Geneologies are in the Bible so I never understood that. Any help (P.C. or anyone)?

I assume you are talking about Christ teaching His disciples not to search "vain genealogies as the scribes do." If so, my understanding is that the Scribes and Pharasees had their genealogies back to Abraham to "prove" that they were his decendants.

They used them to show how much "better" they were than others. Christ told His followers not to do that much in the same way that He told them not to pray loudly in the streets like the Pharasee did, but to do it privately and quietly.

It really had nothing to do with the "genealogies" themselves, but how the Scribes used them as some kind of a measurement of "status".

Family History Centers have only a limited access to Ancestry.com these days, but FamilySearch is continually expanding - free access to sites like Godfrey Memorial Library and others, and more to come.

Godfrey is a good source and a whole lot less to subsribe yearly than Ancestry.

A great free resource: USGenWeb

The content varies county by county, but every county in US has a website, and there is uk genweb too. Some county volunteers have posted years' worth of obits, census, marriage records etc for their counties; other counties only have where to write to the county clerk for a copy of a record.

When you can get access to the New FamilySearch in your area, I understand Ancestry.com will have little to offer and that is why they have withdrawn from the Church Family History Centers.

If your local library or family history center has access to Heritage Quest, it is a great program and most of the time only takes the number from your library card.

Google.com has a great resource for looking up ancestors.

One World Tree on Ancestry is free, and sometimes you can atleast get a general guide as to who to look for from what others have posted. Especially if you compare and there are several trees there with the same information.

If you can afford PAF Insight, it is a very valuable tool when searching the family search website and IGI, as well as for cleaning up your PAF and will eventually make PAF compatable with the new Church website when it comes available.

That is a start, hope it helps.

Josie

• 1 month later...

Family History Centers have only a limited access to Ancestry.com these days, but FamilySearch is continually expanding - free access to sites like Godfrey Memorial Library and others, and more to come.

Godfrey is a good source and a whole lot less to subsribe yearly than Ancestry.

A great free resource: USGenWeb

The content varies county by county, but every county in US has a website, and there is uk genweb too. Some county volunteers have posted years' worth of obits, census, marriage records etc for their counties; other counties only have where to write to the county clerk for a copy of a record.

I retired in May from Ancestry.com -- There is a lot of information on that site, but only if you subscribe to it. It was removed from the Family History Libraries because Ancestry got a new non LDS CEO, and he didn't like the idea that the church had had free access to the site for the past 7 years, so he put an end to it. I don't know of anyone I worked with that liked what he did, but his bottom line is money.........

There is also a great website for genealogy websites -- it lists many and it's worth checking out. www.genealogy.about.com

• 1 month later...

Here's what I use:

Genweb project – This is a project that consist of government records being put on the internet by volunteers. Very reliable depending upon the accuracy of the volunteer and clarity of the record.

Google ‘genweb’ then click on the state you’d like to do research in. Then click on the county you are researching. This contains birth, death and marriage records as well as school records, family bible records, census, wills and tax records, etc. It’s being updated on a daily basis.

LDS Website – (click on family history) You can register using your Membership Record Number and confirmation date. This allows you to see what, if any temple work has been done for a particular individual.

Family Forums – Google (surname) family genealogy forum. You’ll find a list of correspondence from people doing research on the same family you’re researching.

Other good sites:

RootsWeb.com Home Page Crosswinds.Net -

myfamily.com - www.CemeteryJunction.com

Geneanet.org Ellis Island

ancesterhunt.com

Free Marriage Records Genealogy Database and Free Genealogy Directory of Geneology Sites to Search for Ancestors internment.com

ProQuest Information and Learning :: HeritageQuest Microfilm Products Catalog Genealogy Query and Surname Database

Birth Certificates www.genealogy-jigsaw.com

Welcome to GenCircles!

GENEALOGY SHOPPE Home of My Roots & Branches mini binder & Census View www.OneGreatFamily.com

AncientFaces.com - Free Family History Search and Genealogy Records - Family Photos, Family Stories, & Family Recipes MayflowerHistory.com

TreEZy -- The Genealogy and Local History Search Engine Family Trees - Genealogy & Family History

Your family.com - Finding Ancestors and Lost Relatives since 1996! National WWII Memorial

Cyndi's List - U.S. - Military

Burial & Memorials Home

www.archives.gov/genealogy/about-research.htm

CinnamonToast Genealogy

Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records

Havejoy, I don't know why it wouldn't let you in to edit your own posts, but I took out the ones you listed to take out, and then removed them from your second post as well, in case they were personal links. If they were not, you can certainly add them again! :) (If I took out the wrong ones, just let me know by PM, and then we can try to fix them again . . . )

• 4 weeks later...

Here's what I use:

Genweb project – This is a project that consist of government records being put on the internet by volunteers. Very reliable depending upon the accuracy of the volunteer and clarity of the record.

Google ‘genweb’ then click on the state you’d like to do research in. Then click on the county you are researching. This contains birth, death and marriage records as well as school records, family bible records, census, wills and tax records, etc. It’s being updated on a daily basis.

LDS Website – (click on family history) You can register using your Membership Record Number and confirmation date. This allows you to see what, if any temple work has been done for a particular individual.

Family Forums – Google (surname) family genealogy forum. You’ll find a list of correspondence from people doing research on the same family you’re researching.

Other good sites:

RootsWeb.com Home Page Crosswinds.Net -

myfamily.com - www.CemeteryJunction.com

Geneanet.org Ellis Island

ancesterhunt.com

Free Marriage Records Genealogy Database and Free Genealogy Directory of Geneology Sites to Search for Ancestors internment.com

ProQuest Information and Learning :: HeritageQuest Microfilm Products Catalog Genealogy Query and Surname Database

Birth Certificates www.genealogy-jigsaw.com

Welcome to GenCircles!

GENEALOGY SHOPPE Home of My Roots & Branches mini binder & Census View www.OneGreatFamily.com

AncientFaces.com - Free Family History Search and Genealogy Records - Family Photos, Family Stories, & Family Recipes MayflowerHistory.com

TreEZy -- The Genealogy and Local History Search Engine Family Trees - Genealogy & Family History

Your family.com - Finding Ancestors and Lost Relatives since 1996! National WWII Memorial

Cyndi's List - U.S. - Military

Burial & Memorials Home

www.archives.gov/genealogy/about-research.htm

CinnamonToast Genealogy

Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records

"LDS Website – (click on family history) You can register using your Membership Record Number and confirmation date. This allows you to see what, if any temple work has been done for a particular individual."

I am SO new to the site and family history. I found out that the Caleb Baldwin that was in Liberty Jail with Joseph Smith is my great great great great paternal grandfather. My father was not a member of the church nor were his parents. I am trying to find out when in history that my family fell away from the church. I want to do the Temple work but I can't seem to find what has and has not been done for my family. make sense?

thanks to anyone who can help me!

" I am trying to find out when in history that my family fell away from the church. I want to do the Temple work but I can't seem to find what has and has not been done for my family. make sense?

thanks to anyone who can help me!

LisaE,

if you have registered on FamilySearch.org, go to the Search tab, click on International Genealogical Index on the left column. Look for your ancestor there.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...