China.

Fiannan

Ah yes, sitting here in an internet cafe surrounded by about 50 people chattering in Chinese and most playing computer games on their computers. Warm and a bit on the humid side outside. Somewhat surreal. Spent the day biking along the river and visiting remote villages where they carry produce by mule or find ways to load a ton of items on a moterbike similar to the ones you see in Vietnam movies. Never seen a waterbuffalo in use until yesterday.

Shared a bit of dog meat with some friends as well as snake. They had never tried it before and they were anxious to give it a shot. Here you order the snake, they bring it to your table to see, and then they remove the head and take it back to the kitchen -- one snake was made into a stir fry and the other one wound up in a soup. Visited the local night market -- most unusual animals you could buy for dinner snacks were toad on a stick (big ones) or fried rat. Pigions on a stick looked really odd.

A very interesting country with old people with no teeth riding old bicycles, with a chicken in a basket being taken home for dinner, and talking on a cell phone. Lots of contrasts as you have to watch out on the streets for old Mao tractors (imagine a lawnmower crossed with a moter scooter), bikes, pedestrians and speeding BMWs.

Well, just thought I'd share a travel update.

Ah yes, sitting here in an internet cafe surrounded by about 50 people chattering in Chinese and most playing computer games on their computers. Warm and a bit on the humid side outside. Somewhat surreal. Spent the day biking along the river and visiting remote villages where they carry produce by mule or find ways to load a ton of items on a moterbike similar to the ones you see in Vietnam movies. Never seen a waterbuffalo in use until yesterday.

Shared a bit of dog meat with some friends as well as snake. They had never tried it before and they were anxious to give it a shot. Here you order the snake, they bring it to your table to see, and then they remove the head and take it back to the kitchen -- one snake was made into a stir fry and the other one wound up in a soup. Visited the local night market -- most unusual animals you could buy for dinner snacks were toad on a stick (big ones) or fried rat. Pigions on a stick looked really odd.

A very interesting country with old people with no teeth riding old bicycles, with a chicken in a basket being taken home for dinner, and talking on a cell phone. Lots of contrasts as you have to watch out on the streets for old Mao tractors (imagine a lawnmower crossed with a moter scooter), bikes, pedestrians and speeding BMWs.

The food doesn't sound very good the me. :dontknow: Do they have rice. seaweed wraps, fish and soy sauce? I would stick to those things if they do. :P

I don't remember you saying why you were going. Is it a pleasure trip?

The food doesn't sound very good the me. :dontknow: Do they have rice. seaweed wraps, fish and soy sauce? I would stick to those things if they do. :P

I don't remember you saying why you were going. Is it a pleasure trip?

Funny you should mention those. My wife and I were preparing to board a 10PM express train, Seoul - Taejon. It used to take 2.5 hours, but now takes 45 minutes. Anyway, we hadn't had dinner, so stopped at Familly Mart (like 7-11) and picked up some seaweed wraps--one with Tuna, another with spiced meat, and the final one with Lindy's favorite (kimchee). Also had shrimp chips (no better for you than regular potato chips), a potato and ham salad sandwich, and Light Cola (diet by any other name is still so sacharrine).

Junk food buffet in Asia! Hurray!

• 2 weeks later...

Where are your pictures?

Also, the days I was in Yangshou were free of smoke -- although the temperature dropped on the last day to the low 30's (farenheit).

Beautiful place to visit -- but judging from the bathroom facilities I guess we can determine why China does turn out some really good female gymnasts.

Thank you, Fiannan.

I've long been fascinated by China. Don't know terribly much, but what I do know is very interesting!

As for the food, I guess it's a good way of dealing with what many would consider pests--just eat them! Turn a stumbling block into a stepping stone, so to speak. Except for dogs--I like dogs (& cats even better).

Keep us posted, ok?

Dror