War on Christmas

HEthePrimate

There's a war on against Christmas! And the perpetrator is not who you might think.

A friend of mine recently got a new bishop. He announced they will not be having a ward Christmas party. Moreover, he has said he is determined that there will be no ward Christmas Eve caroling service because he "doesn't have the time for it." They have held the caroling service every year literally for decades, and many families in the ward have worked it into their family traditions--it's important to them! They don't know why, but it feels to them like this bishop has a thing against Christmas and is ignoring their wishes. After all, even if the bishop doesn't have the time, why can't others organize the event?

Some people have recommended that the ward members organize their own party and caroling service independent of the Ward. Would that be a sign of rebellion against the bishop, or simply taking the initiative?

Peace, love, and bananas,

HEP

I think it's inappropriate for a ward to have an "official" activity on Christmas Eve. It is a time for families, and the Church should not be interfering with it. It's unfair to ask or expect people to take time from their own families and plans to participate in caroling that can easily -- and just as spiritedly -- happen a week earlier.

I agree that Christmas Eve is not the time for an "official" church event. However, members that enjoy such a family tradition should get together and do their own thing. The bishop probably is not against Christmas, but is against over-taxing families with activities. He is following the Church Handbook of Instructions, which encourages us to reduce the number and size of activities, and allowing families to have more time to develop their own traditions. The Church is to support families, not replace nor supplant them.

there will be no ward Christmas Eve caroling service because he "doesn't have the time for it." They have held the caroling service every year literally for decades, and many families in the ward have worked it into their family traditions--it's important to them!

Some people have recommended that the ward members organize their own party and caroling service independent of the Ward. Would that be a sign of rebellion against the bishop, or simply taking the initiative?

Doesn't sound like rebellion at all to me. Sounds like keeping a beloved tradition alive, even the old management won't be managing it any more. Whoever runs the show will need a new way to communicate and a new place for any meetings or practices.

I say go for it.

LM

War against Christmas? Good idea. I don't celebrate any other Masses so I don't see why I should celebrate this one.

Move it, whatever it is, to April where it belongs, and give Yule (winter solstice celebration) with it's log, tree, holly, carols, gift-giving, and booze back to us pagans.

Very Interesting:pope:

War against Christmas? Good idea. I don't celebrate any other Masses so I don't see why I should celebrate this one.

Move it, whatever it is, to April where it belongs, and give Yule (winter solstice celebration) with it's log, tree, holly, carols, gift-giving, and booze back to us pagans.

I'd almost agree.... except I love the excuse to celebrate Christ's birth 2 times a year ^.^

Christmas can wait, Utah’s Catholic bishop says

By Kristen Moulton

The Salt Lake Tribune

Published Nov 30, 2010 09:55AM

Updated 6 hours ago Updated Nov 30, 2010 12:14PM

Utah’s Catholic bishop is putting the brakes on Christmas.

In his first pastoral letter to Utah’s 300,000 Catholics since becoming their shepherd in 2007, Bishop John C. Wester asks that members hold off celebrating Christmas until the season actually begins Dec. 24.

Catholics, Wester says, ought not have early parties in their homes or churches, light up their trees or decorate their schools with more than simple wreaths and boughs of green.

The whole story.

By Kristen Moulton

The Salt Lake Tribune

In his first pastoral letter to Utah’s 300,000 Catholics since becoming their shepherd in 2007, Bishop John C. Wester asks that members hold off celebrating Christmas until the season actually begins Dec. 24.

Catholics, Wester says, ought not have early parties in their homes or churches, light up their trees or decorate their schools with more than simple wreaths and boughs of green.

The whole story.

Ohh, I have something I would love to say about this news from

the benevolent ____________ but I feel it may get closer then I have in

the past to being anti some religion so I will just sit here and bite my lip.

Thanks for sharing this message Capt:cool:

Where I went on my mission (France), people generally attend church only twice a year--Christmas and Easter. They may also attend for a christening or a catechism, but otherwise... not. Though I'm not suggesting that Mormons should follow the lead of the Catholics in most things, it does seem reasonable to hold a worship service on the two most important Christian holidays of the year. Since Easter always falls on a Sunday, we usually do have an Easter service. But it has always puzzled me that we don't hold services on Christmas Day (or Eve, take your pick) when it doesn't happen to fall on a Sunday. The "Christmas is family time" argument falls a little flat, if you ask me, given the fact that we are expected to attend at least three hours of meetings (more, if you have certain callings) every single Sunday, and often during the week, regardless of our family commitments.

FWIW, even though most French people don't attend church regularly, there is one way they keep the Sabbath Day holy--they tend not to go shopping on Sunday. Most stores are closed, and the French typically spend the day... (drumroll) with the family. ;) Again, not saying we should emulate French Catholics, but it does help put things in a different perspective.

By Kristen Moulton

The Salt Lake Tribune

The whole story.

Bp. Wester has a point. Advent does give people something to celebrate, and could help people reflect a bit more on the "reason for the season." And he points out that the Christmas season doesn't end at midnight Dec. 25, but continues on into January. There's a certain balance there--a contemplative Advent season, followed by a celebrative Christmas season.

Because my mother is from the Netherlands, we have traditionally celebrated St. Nicholas' Day. The Dutch tend to give gifts on St. Nicholas' Day, which I like because it makes Christmas itself less commercial/materialistic in nature, and allows people to focus on Christ's birth at that time.

I guess there are different ways of doing things, and Bp. Wester's is a valid one. BTW, Capt. Curmudgeon, I'm not averse to celebrating Yule, too! :)