Personal Progress / Eagle - Equal?

mom_of_jcchlsm

I'm a Mom, and I don't know much about what all is required for Eagle (since my oldest boy is still a Cub Scout), but I have two daughters in YW, and I've looked at the PP requirements.

Do you feel the two awards are about equal? As in: Do they require about the same amount of effort?

I know a lot of families make Eagle a prerequisite for their boys for getting a driver's license. Would it be fair to require PP completion for girls?

It looks to me that PP can be completed rather slap-dash (doing the bare minimum, picking the easiest projects). Unless a girl is really self-motivated, or pushed by her parents/leaders, the path of least resistance may look attractive. Are the requirements for Eagle the same?

It looks to me that PP can be completed rather slap-dash (doing the bare minimum, picking the easiest projects). Unless a girl is really self-motivated, or pushed by her parents/leaders, the path of least resistance may look attractive. Are the requirements for Eagle the same?

Yes it can be rather slap-dash ~ especially when the parents/leaders don't encourage the young woman.

Did you also get the booklet Guidebook for Parents and Leaders of Youth?

Your role as parent is defined on page 3:

<snip> Become familiar with the information in this guidebook <snip> Also become familiar with the Personal Progress booklet ~ you also can get one for yourself, and work on it along with your daughter.

<snip> Help your sons and daughters set and accomplish goals that will appropriately challenge them as they work toward the Duty to God (YM) or Young Womanhood Recognition (YW). With your approval, they can design many of the requirements to meet their personal needs and interests. <snip>

When you are personally involved with what your daughter is doing with the Personal Progress ~ she will garner more from it.

We have a 2nd year Mia Maid who only has to do one more 10 hour project and she will be done with her PP. She really has not learned anything. Every thing was done by rote. There is no heart or soul in her experiences, or her projects. There is no heart or soul to her either. She is a shallow and callous young woman. She is cruel to the Bee Hive girls, and those girls who are not of her clique. Yet her mother and father have signed her off on every one of her experiences and projects.

Meet often with the Young Women Leaders. The YW President, and your daughter's Advisor and Councilor. ALSO meet with the Stake Young Women Leaders. Take an active role in your daughter's personal progress. Not just what is listed in the booklet, but what I am talking about is her personal life.

We also have a 2nd year Bee Hive who has gone from a very shy, but extremely intelligent girl to a helpful, outgoing, still extremely intelligent young woman. Not only is her Mother very involved in her YW Personal Progress, but so is her Grandmother (who just happens to be the RS Secretary of a different ward). This Young Woman has grown ~ she knows her faults/weaknesses, and that is what she is constantly working on. To turn them into strengths and Values!

She not only created her own experience to turn her negativity to positives, she created a project with the same theme. She creates her own values before she uses the ones in the PP book.

Her mother is negative a lot too, and I see a difference in her too!

Mmmm ~ as you can see I am a bit passionate about this. I am Young Womens Secretary in my ward ~ I sit back and observe mostly. I wish the mothers of our Young Women showed as much concern as you did in your post. I wish all of my YW Presidency& Advisors were as interested and concerned as your are.

As to your question about being equal to the Young Men's Eagle. It is harder. The young woman must complete seven 10 hour projects, along with six Experience Values for each of the seven values, in the four years of Young Women. When the Experience Values and Project Values are done correctly ~ they are actually harder than what the young men go through.

I have no clue as to how difficult or lenghty PP is, as I am a 17yr old male with no sisters =\. But I am currently working on my eagle project. The older you get, the harder it is to get your eagle thats for sure. You have to balance work and school, other projects, there just seems to be no time for eagle. I wish I finished eagle when i was like 13. I suggest you stick with your kids and see that they dont wait till there almost 18 and try and get it like me.

But I might add that when your child when he gets older if he isnt into scouting, push him to earn his Duty to God award. It would be better if you push him to get both, I believe Duty to God award is MUCH more important than scouting. I never recieved my Deacon or Teacher Duty to God, but im working on my Priest one.

The Bishop in our ward said that they are equal. It seems to me as if the Eagle is harder though. Don't get me wrong, I love Personal Progress and it challenged me sooo much, but I finished it before I was even a Mia Maid. I worked hard in it and it was pretty intense but SOOO much fun! My brother, who is 15, hasn't finished his Eagle yet. (Then again, he's not really into scouting, but all the same...) So I have no idea, but I think it would be good if you challenged your boys to get their Eagles before their drivers licenses, to challenge you YW to get the PP before also.

My parents weren't really involved in my PP at all, which was fine- they had a lot on their plate. But it would have been nice to have someone to help with the hard stuff. (Like choosing ten-hour projects!)

So, yeah... thats all I can really say.

• 3 years later...