Safety first - have we forgotten the principles of morality?

I have a new article up on my blog and invite all persons to come over and share their thoughts on this particular subject matter. Also, you can share this article through Facebook, Twitter, and other sharing options by clicking the specific option below the article.

Look forward to hearing what people have to say regarding this subject.

Despite all these warning labels, constant education of being safety minded, our society has forgotten the principles of Morality and how they keep us safe from harm. These principles of morality give us the boundaries in which we conduct ourselves in private and public areas of our lives. They help us in building healthy communities and a strong society. These moral principles are the very safety rules, regulations, and behaviors that are being stripped away and neglected by a society whose views are that such notions have no place in modern society. Along with the decay of moral principles, there is also the decay of personal accountability. Much of this is evident in the more younger generation that have grown up with the philosophical concept that if it feels good, just do it and let no one say you are wrong for such actions.

Reasoning with the Critics | Safety First Article

Associated Content | Safety First

Mormon Apologetics Research Studies | Safety First

I have a new article up on my blog and invite all persons to come over and share their thoughts on this particular subject matter. Also, you can share this article through Facebook, Twitter, and other sharing options by clicking the specific option below the article.

Reasoning with the Critics | Safety First Article

Associated Content | Safety First

Mormon Apologetics Research Studies | Safety First

I agree without even looking at the links. We had a person to come to our FHE last night for the YSAs that knows a lot about D&C and the U.S. Constitution and how our country is in great trouble. Yes, I believe in separation of church and state. That does not mean to separate country and God. That's the big problem with this country. Instead of "freedom of religion", people see the Constitution as saying "freedom from God". Someone needs to step up and do something. If I were running for president I'd make sure the public knows I would take this country to a new level and do something different. I would dedicate the United States of America to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. A righteous member of the church needs to be president. Not so the church will govern the country because it won't. Just so we can have someone as a president we know would try to do things to please God.

I agree without even looking at the links. We had a person to come to our FHE last night for the YSAs that knows a lot about D&C and the U.S. Constitution and how our country is in great trouble. Yes, I believe in separation of church and state. That does not mean to separate country and God. That's the big problem with this country. Instead of "freedom of religion", people see the Constitution as saying "freedom from God". Someone needs to step up and do something. If I were running for president I'd make sure the public knows I would take this country to a new level and do something different. I would dedicate the United States of America to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. A righteous member of the church needs to be president. Not so the church will govern the country because it won't. Just so we can have someone as a president we know would try to do things to please God.

who's god?

You're kidding right?

Not in the least. Being I don't believe in your god or much of what his followers do in his name, i would very much be concerned about the head of state doing all he does to please an entity with which i have no faith in. This is why it's ok for a leader to have faith, but it must be tempered with understanding that he serves everyone not just those that agree with his faith, and he is answerable to all peoples of all faiths equally.

Not in the least. Being I don't believe in your god or much of what his followers do in his name, i would very much be concerned about the head of state doing all he does to please an entity with which i have no faith in. This is why it's ok for a leader to have faith, but it must be tempered with understanding that he serves everyone not just those that agree with his faith, and he is answerable to all peoples of all faiths equally.

Ok, and? We believe in God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost. Those are who the Bible and Book of Mormon speak of. Yes, a leader serves the people but God is still over the leaders. As I said, it would be best if someone that is a member of the church seeing how this is the church Jesus Christ put on the earth. Will everyone agree with someone basing how they are with God? No. However, Jesus Christ was also disagreed with by those that denied He was/is the Son of God and yet He is the Son of God.

The discussion is turning more to a political slant than what is originally intended. The issue here is the evidence of moral decay in our society today and the impact we as parents, teachers, leaders, and community participants have that play a key role in providing a paradigm shift back to a place of a higher moral ground and understanding.

Ok, and? We believe in God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost. Those are who the Bible and Book of Mormon speak of. Yes, a leader serves the people but God is still over the leaders. As I said, it would be best if someone that is a member of the church seeing how this is the church Jesus Christ put on the earth. Will everyone agree with someone basing how they are with God? No. However, Jesus Christ was also disagreed with by those that denied He was/is the Son of God and yet He is the Son of God.

So you would be as accepting if a Muslim took power and aimed the country in the same direction using the Quran and what they believe would make Allah happy right? You would be as understanding and willing to follow those dictates and would not feel lessened or threatened because they are sure they are right and they know the truth?

It's fine for people to say " look I'm right and really if you all just did what i know is right the world would be a better place" Reality is this is how we end up with wars. You say the Church wouldn't control the country, but it would control the leader and every choice made in directing the country's movement. This leads to a whole mess of issues and also leads to a huge disruption in the population at large who now know their government really doesn't care about what they think, feel and believe, because the leaders now will only follow their faith, not the will or hearts of the people. The people may be flawed but the country serves them. Like it or not your ideal government does exist, it's in the countries the States keeps going to war with calling them dictatorships.

Elder Oaks spoke about this a little in an address he made to Harvad Law School's students and faulty. Very interesting words considering he was speaking to one of the higher institutes of learning...

Fundamental to Our Faith - Ensign Jan. 2011

Many factors contribute to the predominant shallowness on the subject of religion, but one of them is surely higher education’s general hostility or indifference to religion. With but few exceptions, colleges and universities have become value-free places where attitudes toward religion are neutral at best. Students and other religious people who believe in the living reality of God and moral absolutes are being marginalized.

It seems unrealistic to expect higher education as a whole to resume a major role in teaching moral values. That will remain the domain of homes, churches, and church-related colleges and universities. All should hope for success in this vital task. The academy can pretend to neutrality on questions of right and wrong, but society cannot survive on such neutrality.

It's definately a good read, especially if you're looking for something to share with a non-member friend you have religious conversations with.

The discussion is turning more to a political slant than what is originally intended. The issue here is the evidence of moral decay in our society today and the impact we as parents, teachers, leaders, and community participants have that play a key role in providing a paradigm shift back to a place of a higher moral ground and understanding.

I'm always iffy when i hear the talk about moral decay. Are there issues in the world? Yes. Are we worse off now, I'm really leaning to no we are not. I think we have different issues and are much more aware of them, but I'm not exactly sure we are going off the deep end. I think we are seeing different issues and more being brought to light, but I'm not sure we have any more issues than we did 50 years or more ago, we've just made it much harder to keep them in the shadows.

Ok, and? We believe in God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost.

Except Soul doesn't, and a fair number of other people in the various countries in the world. His entire point is that 'we', if we mean the people who make up a country like Canada or the United states, do not universally believe any such thing.

That's the crazy thing about morality too - my morality is not always the same as my neighbor's morality...

So, take for example this law in Georgia that prevents people from selling alcoholic beverages on Sunday... what's the moral line for that?

Thank you, STS, I think this is so very important. The newest MTV debacle called Skins is a great example of the moral decay so prevelant in today's society, and especially among youth. It's terrifying to me. I have not watched this program, and I only have read a bit about it, but the controversy surrounding it is enough to make me shudder. It's really very sad.

Unfortunately, I do not think that this is something that is going to go away or get better. We have a snapshot of societal moral ambiguity every time we turn on the television (or even drive through our cities).

It is only by encouraging and teaching our children to turn their hearts and minds to God can we ever hope to assuage this acherontic trend.

That is my opinion at any rate.

Edited by theoriginalavatar

Thank you, STS, I think this is so very important. The newest MTV debacle called Skins is a great example of the moral decay so prevelant in todays society, and especially among youth. It's terrifying to me. I have not watched this program, and I only have read a bit about it, but the controversy surrounding it is enough to make me shudder. It's really very sad.

Unfortunately, I do not think that this is something that is going to go away or get better. We have a snapshot of societal moral ambiguity every time we turn on the television (or even drive through our cities).

It is only by encouraging and teaching our children to turn their hearts and minds to God can we ever hope to assuage this acherontic trend.

That is my opinion at any rate.

Man, TOA! You come back and throw big words... I had to open up my dictionary!

Sorry! :blush: I never know what words folks know or do not know.

(If you'll provide me a list, I will gladly stick to those words. :D)

Don't dumb down your posts- it is far easier to use dictionary.com - that way we learn even more. :thumbsup:

Not every American is Christian. It is honorable to dedicate yourself to the Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ...but to dedicate millions to your cause without acknowledging their own beliefs would not be the Lord's way.

"Morality" from dictionary.com :

1.conformity to the rules of right conduct; moral or virtuous conduct.

2. moral quality or character.

3. virtue in sexual matters; chastity.

4. a doctrine or system of morals.

5. moral instruction; a moral lesson, precept, discourse, or utterance.

6. morality play.

I think one can have high moral standards without defining who their God is. Morality is universal across all belief systems except those that are anti-social.

"Antisocial" from dictionary.com:

–adjective

1. unwilling or unable to associate in a normal or friendly way with other people: He's not antisocial, just shy.

2. antagonistic, hostile, or unfriendly toward others; menacing; threatening: an antisocial act.

3. opposed or detrimental to social order or the principles on which society is constituted: antisocial behavior.

4. Psychiatry . of or pertaining to a pattern of behavior in which social norms and the rights of others are persistently violated.

When I say antisocial I don't mean shy or unsociable. I'm talking about 2-4.

Edited by carlimac

I think one can have high moral standards without defining who their God is. Morality is universal across all belief systems except those that are anti-social.

This is not necessarily true. Morality - like religion - can vary between peoples/cultures.

For example - in the Philippines, it is immoral to divorce your spouse. In America it is not.

This is not necessarily true. Morality - like religion - can vary between peoples/cultures.

For example - in the Philippines, it is immoral to divorce your spouse. In America it is not.

I think she was saying the concept of morality is universal. Which I can accept, but as you point out while the concept may be universal the particulars certainly aren't.

For an additional example consider Gay Marriage (to do the LDS.net equivalent of Godwinizing the thread). Depending on your stance legalizing gay marriage is the more moral or the less moral route to take. If you had a dictator of the United States and he always stuck to his morals it could go either way if he'd legalize it or outlaw it.

Edited by Dravin

I don't know if I completely agree that our society is all about doing what feels good. I think anytime anyone is encouraged to do what they want, they are still advised to consider the consequences. Even Satanism in that regard is no longer what it used to be. I think the Wiccan Rede goes along the lines of "If it harm none, do what ye will." It might not be exactly the morals and ethics with which we completely agree, but I think most people are against blind hedonism.

I've also never liked the idea that one must be religious to be moral. Morality--however you define it based on goodness--comes from God ultimately, but not necessarily from religious teachings.