How can I make church more bearable?

CoinPurse

Hello! I know this might be a really random post but I really need some help here!

So first off let me start out by saying that I don't dislike church in itself but I often don't want to go because I have a few health issues that make it a nightmare. I have really bad reactions to air quality and all the church buildings around here are super old and give me gnarly headaches. Just something in the air makes me sick, and then I spend all of class time feeling nauseated because of the dim lighting and stuff (I have sensitive eyes). I also have TMJ which really acts up badly in cold air (and the church is always freezing!). So basically every sunday I have to plan to not do anything but sleep for the rest of the day because I come home feeling utterly horrible. My jaw clenches from cold which gives me a tension..(?) headache, and then I also get a sinus headache from the air quality. I literally get home and feel like I am going to vomit, it doesn't help that we usually have to sit still and I don't have many warm church clothes (I live in a very warm climate lol). Does anyone know what I can do to make church more bearable? Is it bad if I just go for sacrament and then head home and maybe do some scripture reading? I don't like missing out on church but I also don't like feeling ill every sunday :( I know I probably sound like a crazy hypochondriac or something but unfortunately it runs in the females in my family (the headaches, etc.) Not only that but I have to eat a lot during the day (other issue), or else I feel very faint, and I just feel really weird bringing snacks to church... I've seen doctors but they really only give me advice to take some Tylenol or Ibuprofen...which doesn't work on me :( ANY advice is greatly appreciated!

Hi CP,

I don't know what it's like to be you - but we have a few folks in our ward with similar issues. Severe chemical sensitivities. We have a 'chemical free room' which they say rarely works. We are also set up to broadcast whatever is said into the chapel microphone on AM radio, so these folks are able to hear sacrament and gospel doctrine class from their cars. We take the sacrament out to them. They are sometimes able to show up in a breathing mask and sit next to an open door, when the air is ok.

The trick is to have the bishop and a few other key folks aware of your situation. I don't know if your ward is set up to broadcast across AM, but it might be. Definitely talk to your Bishop about it.

Do you get this same reaction in any other building - like your workplace, for instance. How do you cope there?

Basically, you prepare for Church a lot more than us, regular folks, do. If that means taking an ibuprofen before going in, bringing a thick jacket even in the middle of summer, and a pack of cheerios and chocolate bars, then that's what you do. You can get support from the ward by being open about your condition so they can help you, even if it means just being tolerant of you having to get up every 15 minutes to walk the hallways.

You don't have to sit still the entire time. My kids, for sure, can't last the 3 hours sitting still. This is how I would break down the day... There is about 20 minutes between opening song and the end of sacrament distribution. You should be able to last through that, right? So, when the bishop dismisses the deacons to sit with their families, take the opportunity to go walk the hallway then come back for the talk. If that's not enough time, turn on the speakers outside of the chapel - like in the RS room - and walk around while you listen. There's usually a little break between speakers where they sing a hymn, you can use that break to munch on your cheerios in the hallway then come back for the final speaker.

You can do the same thing for Sunday School and Relief Society - that's what I did when I had my colicy baby - I was always just standing in the back of class with the baby ready to jet out the door when the baby starts wailing...

In any case, we do the best we can with the circumstances we are given. It's just another challenge that we find a way to surmount. And it gives all the ward members the opportunity to exercise compassion and service.

Hope this helps.

The options LM and anatess mentioned so far are wonderful. I didn't know that Sacrament meeting could be broadcast on AM from the church. We broadcast Stake Conference via closed circuit to the other meeting houses so I can see some real possibilities here.

Another option available when you talk to your Bishop, is having the Sacrament brought to your home. Some people feel that this option is only for those who are severely ill or dying or bedridden. Its not. It can also be for people who have environmental sensitivities that restrict where they can be (such as those you spoke of). This is not an ideal option because you miss out on the association with the Saints, but it can work if its needed.

I have health issues also. I know my body and I know the warnings signs of a symptom flare, so sometimes I take a preventative dose of my pain meds. This is not an option I use every Sunday, just on those Sundays that are going downhill before I even start getting ready to go. Often I spend Sunday at church and in bed. But, I don't let that bother me. We are raising our grandson who is almost 3. He needs to be at church and we need to be there with him. Sometimes hubby takes him without me but for the most part its important that I be there. I feel that for me its important to be there regardless of how I feel after the meetings. My husband is understanding. He is always good to make Sunday dinner when I'm having another bad day.

Does your building have a mother's room? Does your building have speakers in the foyer?

The best resource to turn to is your Bishop. He'll know what the possibilities are to help you stay active.

Best Wishes,

A mini sacrament service can be done for members who are not able to attend the main meetings.

For us, individuals who are stuck at home for whatever reasons just tends to to be the sacrament ceremony, where as in the old folks home its more of a mini sacrament where we have a prayer and a song and the bishop there does any business thats needed (generally not much), and then the sacrament ceremony is done, then someone gives a testimony or a quick talk and then the meeting is closed with a hymn and prayer.

Hi CP,

As others have suggested, bring it up to the Bishop and let him take it to the Ward Council. During the November 2010 and February 2011 Worldwide Leadership Training meetings, we were taught that ward councils are supposed to be revelatory meetings. Let the strength of the ward leadership work for you through prayer and support. It sounds like you've done everything that you can and now it's time to turn it over to others to help you out. My prayers are with you.