Governor Romney For President (lds Member)

M98Ranger

I just saw on Fox News That a "Governor Romney" of the LDS faith is going to be running for President. Expectedly (and in my opinion "laughably") there is a large out-cry to not allow him to run for president or some such thing from some of our friends in "other denominations". (I dont understand how they think that their outcries could possibly do anything, but they are apparently trying to stymie his right to run for president.) What do you all think about it.

I need to research it, but I feel really excited about possibly voting for someone with the same religious beliefs and convictions that I have. To have an LDS president in my opinion would be absolutely awsome!

I just saw on Fox News That a "Governor Romney" of the LDS faith is going to be running for President. Expectedly (and in my opinion "laughably") there is a large out-cry to not allow him to run for president or some such thing from some of our friends in "other denominations". (I dont understand how they think that their outcries could possibly do anything, but they are apparently trying to stymie his right to run for president.) What do you all think about it.

I need to research it, but I feel really excited about possibly voting for someone with the same religious beliefs and convictions that I have. To have an LDS president in my opinion would be absolutely awsome!

I just did a lot of searching the internet for new stories about this and could find nothing about this 'outcry' from other denominations. Not saying it doesn't exist, but can you point me to a link?

And can they really not allow him to run? I think the issue is whether or not a majority of people in the US would vote for an LDS president.

This has been out there a long time. There are rumors that he is running and he has been traveling the country seeing what kind of a response he would get. There have been many articles and news reports with various ministers who have said they could support and others who have said they could or would not support. I think the majority could and would support him.

I vote for those who best represent my wishes for the country. I do not vote based on sound bites or who is most handsome.

Vote your conscience.

Ben

Governor Romney has every right to run for president. I agree it would be wonderful to have an LDS president. I haven't followed Romney's politcal career, nor studied his political philosophy, so I haven't made up my mind for certain about him yet. However, I do tend to vote for "liberals," and so am disinclined to vote for Republicans, including LDS ones, in general. Nevertheless... final decision pending. Further study (and seeing who else will be running) necessary. :)

actually I saw it on fox news. (I thought I said that in my first post). And the people on Fox news most definately mentioned that there was a large outcry by "mainstream christians" or some such saying that he should not be allowed to run". That is of course MY interpretation of Fox's interpretation. If you want to look for it, I would suggest looking first at fox's websight.

News is subjective interpretation of events (no matter how objective they claim to be) so you have to take it for what it is worth....and that is my INTERPRETATION about statements of OPINION that people representing Fox news stated regarding others stance on Romney's running for President of the United States of America.

This has been out there a long time. There are rumors that he is running and he has been traveling the country seeing what kind of a response he would get. There have been many articles and news reports with various ministers who have said they could support and others who have said they could or would not support. I think the majority could and would support him.

I vote for those who best represent my wishes for the country. I do not vote based on sound bites or who is most handsome.

Vote your conscience.

Ben

I'm with Ben. It's always nice to have someone of your own faith group in office, but nothing shines like intelligence, competence, and confidence. In my own case, James Watt was our first big placer. Nobody says much about THAT or HIM these days. :hmmm: Ashcroft was our next big hitter. You either loved him, or hated him.

Goerge Will gives Romney a nice review: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_283684.html

This seems like a guy I could end up voting for, so long as he doesn't try to bunch coffee in with other products that get wacked with heavy "sin taxes." :wow:

<div class='quotemain'>

I just did a lot of searching the internet for new stories about this and could find nothing about this 'outcry' from other denominations. Not saying it doesn't exist, but can you point me to a link?

And can they really not allow him to run? I think the issue is whether or not a majority of people in the US would vote for an LDS president.

Shanstress......there are some articles out there and the next time I find one or remember where I found the others I will let you know.....so you can read them also..... :idea:

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Shanstress......there are some articles out there and the next time I find one or remember where I found the others I will let you know.....so you can read them also..... :idea:

Thanks for the PM, Palerider. I did see tons of info on Romney running for pres. What I don't find is info about people from other denominations trying to stop him from running. They may be unhappy about it, but they can't stop him from running. That was my point.

Referring to this part of LDSEngineer's post: " there is a large out-cry to not allow him to run for president or some such thing from some of our friends in "other denominations"."

I'll preface this link by saying that I think the vast majority of socially conservative Republican evangelicals could get on board with Romney. However, this reporter's explanation of the qualms evangelicals might have is worth discussion. So, here it is:

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/....sullivan1.html

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Thanks for the PM, Palerider. I did see tons of info on Romney running for pres. What I don't find is info about people from other denominations trying to stop him from running. They may be unhappy about it, but they can't stop him from running. That was my point.

Referring to this part of LDSEngineer's post: " there is a large out-cry to not allow him to run for president or some such thing from some of our friends in "other denominations"."

I was not aware of someone trying to prevent him.....I was sharing info in regards to some not voting for him due to his religion....

Here is a link that you can check out.

http://meridianmagazine.master.com/texis/m...mit=Search&s=SS

Enjoy the reading.

Ben

After reading their mission I would not consider Washington Monthly a mainstream or even a liberal newspaper but a ultraliberal newspaper that would never have anything good to say about a republican and seldom about a democrat.

Ben

Thanks for the info, guys. However, I don't think I'm being clear. I know that many people may have a problem with him running, because of his religious beliefs. HOWEVER, can anyone actually prevent him from running, as is what LDSEngineer said in his post? Sure, he may not do well in the primaries, but that's the way our govt works. My assumption is that no one can prevent him from running. Any thoughts about that?

I would have thought that unless he broke some law, which meant that he was imprisoned during the election period, or broke some other 'rule' of candidacy there wouldn't be any way of preveting him or any other person from running in the election.

Over here in the UK we have people from all sorts of race and religions running for elections, including Muslims...okay some people object to Muslims running in elections and choose not to vote for them based upon their religious beliefs/colour, but nobody actually prevents them from standing for election.

I am not sure, because I dont know politics hardly at all, but I would suspect that what Fox News was refering to is pressure exerted onto the republican party to not allow him to be their candidate. I don't know how that works, but I am pretty sure that is what they were refering to now that I think about it. I could very well be wrong though.

After reading their mission I would not consider Washington Monthly a mainstream or even a liberal newspaper but a ultraliberal newspaper that would never have anything good to say about a republican and seldom about a democrat.

The WA Monthly article struck me as fairly detailed about evangelicals being troubled more by doctrinal issues vs. the general public. I've never read their stuff before, but my scan read of this one proved at least informative.

As an update to the general topic, the issue of Mitt Romney possibly running for Prez came up in my Sunday School class today. Yes, there was definite concern about his theology. However, when I mentioned that I would prefer him over some socially liberal, pro-ACLU, anti-religion in public type, they all seemed to agree. It's easy to nitpick when there's no one to compare him to, but if Democrats put out a Hillary Clinton, or someone with an anti-religious right agenda, evangelicals would flock to Romney in droves, IMHO.

Thanks for the info, guys. However, I don't think I'm being clear. I know that many people may have a problem with him running, because of his religious beliefs. HOWEVER, can anyone actually prevent him from running, as is what LDSEngineer said in his post? Sure, he may not do well in the primaries, but that's the way our govt works. My assumption is that no one can prevent him from running. Any thoughts about that?

If GOP party leaders have "the talk" (Hey, Mitt, buddy, pal, loyal party soldier that you are--it's a bit too soon for us to be putting somebody out there with your affiliations. The time will come--but '08 doesn't look to be the year. Maybe there's a good post for such a devout, faithful support like yourself in the new administration). Legally, he sure can run, and with any party he wants. But, if you want the support of a majority party (GOP or Democrats), you must at least look like you can actually win. If not, you get "the talk."

This seems like a guy I could end up voting for, so long as he doesn't try to bunch coffee in with other products that get wacked with heavy "sin taxes." :wow:

LOL..... First thought that came to mind was Irish Coffee..... some might get wacked wtih a "sin tax" with that one ;)

it would be foolish for any member to vote for him just because he's LDS.

apparently, as far as i can tell, he's much more to the left of the republican party than most of the republican party, and esp. more so than bush of course. what, with that liberal hogwash universal health care crap he'a advocating in massachussetts!

he's kind of like giuliani, minus the adulterous affair (then again, who knows...)

personally, i wouldn't vote for him. he could be a wolf in sheep's clothing, or else give the church a really bad name if and when he messes up.