When to Start Fasting for Fast Sunday

Jason_J

I've only seen that we are to fast for 2 meals. Not 24 hours. I think a lot depends on when you have meetings. If you have meetings at 9:00 a.m., perhaps dinner and breakfast. But if you have meetings in the afternoon. Then I'd recommend breakfast and lunch.

It really does not matter.

From the gospel principles manual:

One Sunday each month Latter-day Saints observe a fast day. On this day we neither eat nor drink for two consecutive meals. If we were to eat our evening meal on Saturday, then we would not eat or drink until the evening meal on Sunday.

When you look at it this way, it's pretty much equivalent to 24 hours, but the guideline is two consecutive meals.

Fasting is one of those personal decisions. As pam showed, we are to fast for 2 meals--which meals and when you decide to fast is dependent on you and what you feel is right for you.

It's easier for me to fast breakfast and lunch, so that is what I tend to do. That means that I take the sacrament in the middle of my fast. I do not consider taking the sacrament as breaking my fast. And I'm not overly concerned that it is exactly 24 hours as we've been taught to fast for 2 meals not necessarily 24 hours.

I am diabetic, so when I fast I only fast one meal, breakfast- when church is over, before I can get in the car and drive home I have to eat something, so I take a zip bag of Ritz crackers w/peanut butter, and drink one of those yogurt drinks, along with drinking 8 oz of water.

I then have lunch when I get home. Husband waits to eat dinner, thus fasting two consecutive meals.

I also can NOT go 12 hours without drinking water.

Since my Dr is LDS also, I am fasting under a Dr's care and with the Spirit of the Lord. :D

Iggy, I have many friends who cannot fast because of medical issues. Some of them have chosen to "fast" from a particular food or drink. For example, one friend doesn't drink any soda (normally drinks sodas throughout the day) but drinks water as a way of fasting. Another friend eats and drinks very plain meals (sandwich with water) as a way to fast.

Fasting may not be medically feasible, but it doesn't mean we can't fast--I truly believe the Lord knows our hearts and intentions and considers us obedient when we do what we can to keep His laws.

My .02

I begin my fast before I go to sleep on Saturday and I end it somewhere around 3:00pm Sunday. I have to take meds twice a day so I take it in the morning with one cup of water and I usually will end before the 2nd dose.

That's what my Stake President said how I can adhere to the principle and spirit of the Fast.

When you look at it this way, it's pretty much equivalent to 24 hours, but the guideline is two consecutive meals.

Yep.

Eat Dinner Saturday 6PM and start fast.

Skip Breakfast Sunday

Skip Lunch Sunday

Eat Dinner Sunday 6PM and end fast.

Time elapsed: 24 hours

Meals skipped: 2

Though practice varies, my family for instance regularly (not in response to fast Sunday) eats an earlier dinner on Sunday than the rest of the week which would make it a few hours under 24.

Edited by Dravin

I have had issues with fasting due to medical problems. I was told by my Bishop that if I would fast if I could, that the Lord would know it. He told me that I could fast from anything that I particularly liked and to accompany it with meaningful, hearfelt prayer, and a fast offering.

I have fasted from one particular type of food to other things like reading my favorite book when I am feeling particularly ill.

And slamjet, I agree, taking medicine with a small amount of water is perfectly acceptable. If I did not take my meds when the Lord made them available to me, it would seem ungrateful in a way.

I tend to time my fasting with family Sunday dinner. It's not really a crazy feast, it's just the only time during the week that my family ever eats dinner together. At my parents' house... people just sort of cook a meal and people wander in and get it when their schedules allow. I'm pretty strict on the 24 hour thing, so I start the Saturday before. I fast from food and water, though I know people that just can't medically go that long without water, so they just fast from food. Really, fasting is a case where if you think you are fasting to the best of your abilities and situation, it's good enough.