Dichotomy's

boyando

I don't understand. The definition that I think you're referring to is, 'The teaching that a human consists of two parts: body and soul. Sometimes the soul is also referred to as spirit.'

So, what is it you are thinking about? And why would this be a bad thing?

That post makes zero sense. :wacko:

I have been fasinated by dichotomy's for a long time and would like to know if it is wrong to think about them?

Faith in dichotamies is a prerequisite of salvation. Light/darkness, True/False, Yes/No, Heaven/Hell, God/Satan, Salvation/Damnation, Good/Evil.

It is only those deluded by the Cult of Tolerance who condemn dichotamies. It is they who must repent, so they may see the power of One vs. Another.

:conscience:

Guest funkyfool

i would google it but im really not in the mood to put forth that sort of effort..so is it what shanstress said? ahhhh help me.

It is better to look intently at an original bill - then when a counterfeit is placed before you, you will know that it is a counterfeit.

How do you know that the truth you claim to have is exactly that? The truth will withstand the test. Even the Scriptures say to test everything and hold to that which is good, test the spirits to see if they are from God, look into the word to see if the things you are taught are true, and test yourself to be sure you are in the faith - unless you be disqualified already. It is healthy and beneficial to test your religion. Are the teachings you're given really from God? Why do you believe what you believe? Is it because someone you admire or hold in high regard has taught you? Is it because the things you heard were what you needed to hear at a vulnerable time in your life? Your reasons for holding on to your beliefs do not necessarily make your beliefs right. Are you in the truth?

It is better to look intently at an original bill - then when a counterfeit is placed before you, you will know that it is a counterfeit.

How do you know that the truth you claim to have is exactly that? The truth will withstand the test. Even the Scriptures say to test everything and hold to that which is good, test the spirits to see if they are from God, look into the word to see if the things you are taught are true, and test yourself to be sure you are in the faith - unless you be disqualified already. It is healthy and beneficial to test your religion. Are the teachings you're given really from God? Why do you believe what you believe? Is it because someone you admire or hold in high regard has taught you? Is it because the things you heard were what you needed to hear at a vulnerable time in your life? Your reasons for holding on to your beliefs do not necessarily make your beliefs right. Are you in the truth?

Please refer to the Wriftwaren Canon 3.

<div class='quotemain'>

My favorite dichotamies are in the Old Testiment. When the children of Israel were given the ten commandments, they were told not to worship idols and when the flying serpents were killing them, they were told to look to a statue at the end of the staff that Moses hold. Truly a dichotamy that they faced.

It would seem that one of the reasons (the always gives you more than one) is to see if they would life by the letter of the law or the spririt.

When the serpent was to represent Jesus, the sorces of all healing, then it is more inportant to do what the Prophet is asking you do, at that time. Some times your trial of faith may just be a dichotamy.

<div class='quotemain'>

I have been fasinated by dichotomy's for a long time and would like to know if it is wrong to think about them?

Yes No

Dr. T

I'll take "yes", wait, wait, wait, maybe I want "no", OK maybe a maybe.

• 3 weeks later...

Why on earth would it be wrong to look at dichotomy's? Which dichotomy's are you referring to?

:unsure: Ummm, the what?

<div class='quotemain'>

Why on earth would it be wrong to look at dichotomy's? Which dichotomy's are you referring to?

:unsure: Ummm, the what?

Here is a quick dichotomy- God does not lie. He asks a prophet to take his only son into the mountains, and sacrifice him. Father in heaven then stops the prophet from killing his son. Did God Lie? My answer is no, but it takes so long to reconcile the two opposeing idea's, time that I could be studying positive aspect's of the Gosple.

Here is a hint to finding the answer to the above dichotomy- most like this, are found in the old testament. ;)

Nothing wrong with thinking about dichotomies. Or paradoxes, for that matter. There seems to be some confusion here--dichotomies and paradoxes are not the same thing. A dichotomy is simply differentiating between two different things (hence the "di-" part of the word). Black and white. Conservative and Liberal. Wrong and Right. Some dichotomies are true and others are false. Sometimes they are false simply for making a false claim, other times for oversimplifying. That is, the false dichotomy makes it sound as if there are two choices, and two only, when in fact there are more options.

Paradoxes are often thought of as being apparently self-contradictory statements or arguments. I say "apparently" because they do not necessarily contradict themselves in actuality, only appear to at first glance. The original sense of paradox implies, rather, "unexpectedness." Essentially, it's a surprise. I really like paradoxes. The Gospel is full of paradoxes, and I have to wonder if they are a sort of teaching tool the Lord uses to help us attain a better understanding. For example, faith vs. works. This is a dichotomy, but also a paradox, at least the way it seems to be presented to us in the scriptures. People don't want to think the Scriptures contradict themselves, and often tend to favor either faith or works and come up with some complicated explanation discounting the other part of the dichotomy. This approach obscures the truth. It is in thinking about the dichotomy, and accepting both faith and works as true principles, that one may resolve the paradox and come to a better understanding of the truth. People can explain this to each other, but nobody can do the thinking for another person, and that's part of the beauty of it--God wants us to think for ourselves. Perhaps that's why He gave us these "puzzles." (?)

Nothing wrong with thinking about dichotomies. Or paradoxes, for that matter. There seems to be some confusion here--dichotomies and paradoxes are not the same thing. A dichotomy is simply differentiating between two different things (hence the "di-" part of the word). Black and white. Conservative and Liberal. Wrong and Right. Some dichotomies are true and others are false. Sometimes they are false simply for making a false claim, other times for oversimplifying. That is, the false dichotomy makes it sound as if there are two choices, and two only, when in fact there are more options.

Paradoxes are often thought of as being apparently self-contradictory statements or arguments. I say "apparently" because they do not necessarily contradict themselves in actuality, only appear to at first glance. The original sense of paradox implies, rather, "unexpectedness." Essentially, it's a surprise. I really like paradoxes. The Gospel is full of paradoxes, and I have to wonder if they are a sort of teaching tool the Lord uses to help us attain a better understanding. For example, faith vs. works. This is a dichotomy, but also a paradox, at least the way it seems to be presented to us in the scriptures. People don't want to think the Scriptures contradict themselves, and often tend to favor either faith or works and come up with some complicated explanation discounting the other part of the dichotomy. This approach obscures the truth. It is in thinking about the dichotomy, and accepting both faith and works as true principles, that one may resolve the paradox and come to a better understanding of the truth. People can explain this to each other, but nobody can do the thinking for another person, and that's part of the beauty of it--God wants us to think for ourselves. Perhaps that's why He gave us these "puzzles." (?)

Now you have gone and done it - You have givin me paradox's to think about.

Here is one to think about. When I obey a comandment, I do so out of love or by discipline (like you say there may be more than two reasons, so my premiss may be false). Love and discipline are not opposites but neither are they any thing alike. If I go home teaching because I'm a disciplined individual and never get to no the family's that I visit, I'm no more closer to my own salvation than if I sit at home. If I love the family's that I should go visit, but lack the discipline to visit a minimum of once a month, no one has been editfied.

So does love take over when discipline end's or is it faith that replaces discipline untill love can win the day? If faith replaces discipline, is there a need for discipline? And is discipline a form of pride?

All of a sudden I'm looking at a paradox instead of a dicothomy. At least I hope that's what I figured out. If I were humble (defined as being in a teachable state of mind) I might have a beter grasp of what the Lord would have me do. Untill then I will remain,your freind - Allmosthumble

Now you have gone and done it - You have givin me paradox's to think about.

Here is one to think about. When I obey a comandment, I do so out of love or by discipline (like you say there may be more than two reasons, so my premiss may be false). Love and discipline are not opposites but neither are they any thing alike. If I go home teaching because I'm a disciplined individual and never get to no the family's that I visit, I'm no more closer to my own salvation than if I sit at home. If I love the family's that I should go visit, but lack the discipline to visit a minimum of once a month, no one has been editfied.

So does love take over when discipline end's or is it faith that replaces discipline untill love can win the day? If faith replaces discipline, is there a need for discipline? And is discipline a form of pride?

All of a sudden I'm looking at a paradox instead of a dicothomy. At least I hope that's what I figured out.

That's a great example! If it helps, "discipline" comes from the Latin word discere, "to learn." "Disciple" shares the same root. While it's true that love and discipline are not the same thing, discipline can be used for loving purposes. For example, you can discipline a child in order to teach her to do what's right because it brings happiness--because you love her. Likewise, you can discipline yourself to do your home teaching because you love those families. And if you do not love them, you can do your hometeaching because you love the Lord, love the Church, or love your Elders' Quorum President, and want him to get great stats!

In my opinion, if somebody does something good, even if they don't do it for the very best reason, it's still better than if they didn't do it at all. In the case of hometeaching, unless you actually dislike the families, and they know it, you can still be of help to them, even if you're doing it only out of a sense of duty. It'll still make a difference to them. And it's quite possible that by doing your duty, you will eventually come to love the families you serve, much as many missionaries come to love the people of the countries they serve in. Of course, both you, and they, will get more joy out of it once you do love them.

If I were humble (defined as being in a teachable state of mind) I might have a beter grasp of what the Lord would have me do. Untill then I will remain,your freind - Allmosthumble

I hope you will remain my friend even after you become humble! :lol::P You seem to be asking honest questions. To me, that is an indication of humility. Proud peope think they have all the answers!

Thanks!

Dror