The Rosary and the book of Matthew

Then you do not understand the power behind the Lords Prayer. It's a beautiful prayer and a conscious study of it will teach more in those few verses about God and our relationship with him than most any other scriptures available to us.

Then you do not understand the power behind the Lords Prayer. It's a beautiful prayer and a conscious study of it will teach more in those few verses about God and our relationship with him than most any other scriptures available to us.

I know the Lord's Prayer. I'm referring to the rest. What's your reason for always criticizing something I put? Obviously you don't understand Matthew 6 so just leave the answering to people who do. Ok?

I know the Lord's Prayer. I'm referring to the rest. What's your reason for always criticizing something I put? Obviously you don't understand Matthew 6 so just leave the answering to people who do. Ok?

Yea, sure, whatever. Maybe if you put some thought into it, what you post won't be so self-serving and wanna-be smart. Especially when the question not only serves to insult those who are of other faiths, but fails to realize the set prayers in and out of the Temple that are in our Church altogether. Is the Sacrament vain repetition?

Vain repetitions means saying prayers by rote without any thought or heart put into them. They can be pre-set series of words, or "off the cuff" words that you say because "it's just what you say" without any meaning or intent put into them. The Lord's Prayer, or the Rosary, or even the Sacrament prayer can be said with real intent and meaning, or in a "vain repetition" way when we're saying it just to say it. ETA: I've heard Priests prattle off the Sacrament prayer where you could tell they were saying it only because it was expected of them, and they were merely performing their duty, and I've heard Priests say it with real intent, where you could tell they were speaking from their heart to the Lord, even if they've said those same words a hundred times.

The Lord wants us to speak to him through prayer because we love him and desire communication with him, not out of force of habit or shallow cultural practice.

Edited by Jenamarie

We use rote prayers in the Church: Sacrament, baptism, etc. Whether they are vain or not depends on whether the person saying them does it from the heart or only the lips.

This goes with any other form of prayer, including those using rosary beads. If the person's heart is in the right place, then I'm certain God listens to such prayers.

Let's keep the talk civil, or I'll close this thread. The initial answer given of the Lord's Prayer was an appropriate response to your short question. It did not show any criticism of your question, but showed that the Lord's Prayer is a beautiful example of rote prayer. There is no reason to be attacking others, and I want it stopped now on all sides.

Rameumptom

Testimony meeting last Sunday... there were those who had very heartfelt testimonies that end with "andIsaythisIntheNameOfChristAmen". Totally kills the entire testimony.

We use rote prayers in the Church: Sacrament, baptism, etc. Whether they are vain or not depends on whether the person saying them does it from the heart or only the lips.

This goes with any other form of prayer, including those using rosary beads. If the person's heart is in the right place, then I'm certain God listens to such prayers.

The difference is the prayer for sacrament and baptism come from scriptures.

And so does the Lord's prayer: Matthew 6 

You'll notice the Lord states: "After this manner", meaning this is an acceptable form of prayer, as long as it is heart felt. Any memorized or read prayer, as long as it is from the heart, counts.

Why do I say this? Because I've learned how much God loves all his children, including sincere Catholics that repeat prayers from the heart.

The difference is the prayer for sacrament and baptism come from scriptures.

So then where does the prayers for the Temple ordinances come from? Not any scriptures I know of, so are they all false?

My favorite part of the rosary is this prayer:

"Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit; now and at the hour of our death, Amen"

Yes, I know, the "Our Father who art in heaven..." should be everyone's favorite of the rosary, but for some reason, the Glory part is when I really get the prayer intensified.

As we know, many people pray this "Rosary" because they believe it is holy. What is your opinion on it considering Matthew 6:7?

But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

it was a ritual that was incorporated/imited from another religion. I don't do it personally as i don't feel that such is in harmony with the scriptures as i understand them.

quite frankly there are plenty of LDS that are probably as guilty of Matt 6:7, even without using an object to help with a prayer.

Wow. So you people pray the rosary yet have a problem with reading the Apocrypha. :confused:

That's obnoxious, uncalled for and unrelated to the question. What is the real purpose of this thread. Some pathetic way to elevate yourself?

That's obnoxious, uncalled for and unrelated to the question. What is the real purpose of this thread. Some pathetic way to elevate yourself?

Nope. You don't mind the rosary yet you don't see the need for for reading the Apocrypha even though Joseph Smith, a prophet of God, said it's mostly correct. The purpose of this thread is what I said in the original post. What is people's feelings toward the rosary considering what Matthew 6 says. Why do you bother saying anything? All you do is say negative things to me and right now I'm not in the mood.

Nope. You don't mind the rosary yet you don't see the need for for reading the Apocrypha even though Joseph Smith, a prophet of God, said it's mostly correct. The purpose of this thread is what I said in the original post. What is people's feelings toward the rosary considering what Matthew 6 says. Why do you bother saying anything? All you do is say negative things to me and right now I'm not in the mood.

I have not said anywhere that I'm against the Apocrypha. I said there are other things in the here and how that we have been told by the Prophets that I choose to delve into. Ezra Taft Benson? Read the Book of Mormon?

And I find the prayers of the Rosary to be quite beautiful and full of lessons and wisdom. I never said I took them as Gospel.

Plus you have thrown dirt clod after dirt clod at me, and yet you are so thin skinned that you can't even have a debate without becoming a condescending putz. Not in the mood? When did you care about anyone else?

So suck it up and deal with it. And while you're at it, again, get over yourself.

I think it all comes down to the heart of the one offering the prayer. How many "dear Heavenly Father, thank you for this day....." no thought, no feeling prayers have we heard or even given? If someone wishes to commune with God and they believe they may do so by reciting the Rosary, then I am certain the Lord knows their heart and intent.

We are blessed to know how the Lord wishes for each of us to pray, but without that specific light he surely hears all that his children sincerely offer.

Edited by bytor2112

Not in the mood? When did you care about anyone else?

So suck it up and deal with it. And while you're at it, again, get over yourself.

No, I will not deal with your mouth. One of our cars wouldn't crank for a bit yesterday, we had to take the other one to get checked out yesterday, and my aunt died at 2AM yesterday morning and the funeral is tomorrow. Her death was just 2 months after one of my uncles shot himself. I am not in the mood to put up with how you usually are.

Wow. So you people pray the rosary yet have a problem with reading the Apocrypha. :confused:

I didn't see anybody in the thread saying they have a problem with reading the apocrypha. As a matter of fact, several in the thread - and that includes me - have read it... and even mentioned a few more stuff in addition to it that we have read as well.

No, I will not deal with your mouth. One of our cars wouldn't crank for a bit yesterday, we had to take the other one to get checked out yesterday, and my aunt died at 2AM yesterday morning and the funeral is tomorrow. Her death was just 2 months after one of my uncles shot himself. I am not in the mood to put up with how you usually are.

Have you ever stopped and thought that the way you treated me with your other postings were not going to come back at you? That it was not going to color how I and others view and treat you? All that fun you had at others expense was not going to endear you to others?

You want respect, start earning it. You want consideration when you post, start showing some. You want some compassion, start giving it. Otherwise, deal with what you get.

Edit: PM'ing me what you did is really is not becoming of a man of maturity. Plus this is a public forum so demanding I not post on your threads really is impracticable.

Edited by slamjet
Addition of Stuff

Sorry for your loss, I too have lost nearly all of my family in the 58 years I have been alive, yet I have NEVER used that grief as an excuse to be rude, childish and churlish, especially on an internet forum.

As Slam said, get over yourself.

If you are not in the MOOD, then sign off the forum, turn off your computer,and don't come back until you are in the mood. BTW, please don't come back until you can behave like the adult you purport to be.

I for one am sick and tired of your petulance.

Not in the mood indeed! Bleah!

Side note here: did anyone else notice that he put having trouble with a car as a priority over his aunt passing away?? Bleah, again and again and again.

Edited by Iggy