The Rosary and the book of Matthew

Vain repetition ... prayers that don't make it past the ceiling.

I forgot who it was who called those kind of prayers Turkey Prayers. Ever try to get a turkey to fly- toss them into the air and they hit the ground hard.

I'll drink to that

Blueberry Pomegranate with a touch of seltzer? or something a wee bit stronger???

If stronger means there's ice cream involved, then I'm game.

Mmm, blended all together with vanilla icecream and forget the seltzer water. That just might be good.

OR better yet, Coke Ice Cream Float - to me that is better than a Root Beer Float.

My oldest sister used to put milk in with kool-ade, she called it Cream of Kool-ade. She did it with non-citrus juices too. Bleah- I would rather use the juice as flavoring for a milk shake.

I'm all for root beer and chocolate ice cream. Although I had some cranberry-pomegranate blended with vanilla ice cream. Very good!

Though what this has to do with the Rosary is lost on me. Maybe a celebration of all that's good?

Wow. So you people pray the rosary yet have a problem with reading the Apocrypha. :confused:

Presumably madeleine1 is Catholic, and, if you'll note, has only one post -- the one one in this thread. Ergo, she has said nothing about the Apocrypha. Second, anatess is a convert to the LDS Church, from Catholicism. The rest of her family are still Catholic. She is very familiar with Catholic doctrine and rites, including the Rosary. It doesn't mean she prays it now (though maybe she does -- I don't know for sure).

You seem to have a strong penchant for criticizing other religions, and I for one hope that people from other religions who come here recognize that you are the minority when it comes to LDS attitudes. Does it occur to you how offensive you come across, and how many potential converts you might scare off by your constant holier-than-thou attitude? (I'm not even referring to your general "more mature than you" comments, but rather that this is the third specific instance I can think of off the top of my head wherein you have actively demeaned another religion.)

It's offensive and ugly.

For what's worth, I didn't think that comment was aimed at me. But yes, I do hold the deuterocanonicals as sacred scripture.

to LDSChristian: I am sorry for your loss. Catholics use the rosary to pray for the souls of the dead during vigil(s) held before their funeral.

To what is a "favorite" prayer... There is no right or wrong. The Our Father is considered a most sacred prayer of the Church, given to us by Jesus. We pray it together, often. My favorite prayer changes, depending on what speaks to me. Lately it is the prayer at the ending of the "Angelus".

Peace.

Edited by madeleine1

I'll add to the others and say that when I was in the throws of addiction I recited the Lord Prayer and the Serenity Prayer. There were so many times I didn't feel like praying, or that my prayer's would do any good. When I felt that way, I would recite those prayers and find a power in them that for me, helped turn my focus for a moment from my addiction to God. Any prayer said with sincerity is a prayer that reaches our Father in Heavens throne. I truly come to believe that from all of what I have experienced.

Aren't we all a bit off-topic? (I leave this here, even though the last postings have returned to the topic.. it makes me sad that people have to quarrel like this... )

Back to the rosary and other rote prayers...

A good friend of mine once told me her opinion about the Lords Prayer and explained that sometimes she is absolutely not in the mood or not able to pray (for example if something really bad has happened that makes her very angry or afraid). There are moments when she finds no words to speak with Heavenly Father. In these moments the Lords Prayer is often the only prayer she is able to speak. And she repeats it as often as it is necessary to find the spirit and the words necessary to say her own prayer. General Authorities advise us often to think of a Hymn to get the spirit we need to pray. But I think using the words of the Lords prayer can be another good way.

A couple of weeks ago I was asked to give a talk (15 min.) about the Lords prayer in Sacrament Meeting. Preparing this talk made me think about it quite a bit different. Like there are a million ways to obey the two great commandments - to love God and to love our neighbor as ourselves, as they contain the whole law - there are a million ways of how to pray and still pray in the manner the Lord taught us in this great example.

Just go through it and think of each phrase.. what does it mean? what goes with it? For example: what do you say, when you say "Our Father"?... With these words you establish a relationship. You accept God as your father: you submit yourself to his guidance, you accept that he sets up the rules in his family and might reprimand or chastise you. But you also show your trust in him, that he asa perfect father will never bring any harm to you. AND you say "our"... which builds a relationship between you and every other child of your Heavenly Father. You accept a responsibility to be a brother, a sister to any other person stepping into your life.

And these are only a few ideas on what "Our Father" means.

Go on with the next words and so on... and when you have finished the prayer, thinking about what you have said and what the words imply.. you will find the enormous power which is inherent in the Lords Prayer!

And you can use almost any other rote prayer in the same manner (take the Canticle of the Sun of Francis of Assisi or some beautiful Irish blessings, OR one of our Hymns) and meditate about the deeper meaning. You will always end up praising the Lord for these wonderful thoughts and insights that can help us gain a deeper understanding of the truths of the Gospel.

Edited by stormwitch
some other postings while i was typing

Anything that brings people closer to Christ is a good thing ... not saying that we don't want everyone and their uncle to be a part of the church but if people are really trying to come closer to the Savior then it just opens their hearts more and makes them that much more ready when they hear the gospel. I know of an elderly sister in Peru who had been taught the lessons 9 times before her heart finally heard them. Instead of worrying how others pray maybe we need to inspect our own back yard and see what kind of work we need to do on ourselves so that we will be able to be the example to others.

My parents were Catholic but they've long forgotten the prayers (I'm not sure if that's what they're called so forgive my ignorance). Is there a place or a book with them all and an explanation for someone like me to learn about them?

My parents were Catholic but they've long forgotten the prayers (I'm not sure if that's what they're called so forgive my ignorance). Is there a place or a book with them all and an explanation for someone like me to learn about them?

I found this: The Holy Rosary - Prayers - Catholic Online Has the prayers but not a explanation of why they are what they are. You can try poking around The Holy See but I wasn't able to find anything in 60 seconds of searching, you may have better luck with more patience.

I found this: The Holy Rosary - Prayers - Catholic Online Has the prayers but not a explanation of why they are what they are. You can try poking around The Holy See but I wasn't able to find anything in 60 seconds of searching, you may have better luck with more patience.

Duh! Google! I'm a bit off my game today :rolleyes: Although I would like any book suggestions just to have as reference. Yea, call me old fashion.

Duh! Google! I'm a bit off my game today :rolleyes: Although I would like any book suggestions just to have as reference. Yea, call me old fashion.

We all have off days, and information from Google can be suspect, particularly when about a religion. Some of the board Catholics (or converts) may be able to come up with a better resource. The internet can be dicey when you don't know enough to distinguish good information from bad. For instance, I can't vouch at all for the first link except on a quick glance it doesn't appear anti-Catholic.

We all have off days, and information from Google can be suspect, particularly when about a religion. Some of the board Catholics (or converts) may be able to come up with a better resource. The internet can be dicey when you don't know enough to distinguish good information from bad. For instance, I can't vouch at all for the first link except on a quick glance it doesn't appear anti-Catholic.

Point taken, and thanks.