What is of value to you?

Traveler

What is important to you? I mean really important; important enough that you are a part of and it is also what defines you and what you are?

Let us say that there was some apocalyptic event that wiped out all there is to know about the history and society of man on earth; with one exception - You! And you alone are all that is left to continue whatever will remain of the human legacy on earth. What would you or could you take with you?

Myths and legends of what was the golden age of earth?

What would you bring of science, art, music education, governments, war, medicine law, justice and most of all religion? Without scriptures and only the example of your life as what you have become; what could others learn of you of us and your religion? What have you spent you life learning and what is it you add or think you add to give you meaning?

I do not have an agenda here, just wondering out laude concerning the real purpose of life and what some on the forum think they have learned.

The Traveler

I'm not sure of your hypothetical, is this a last human on earth scenario? Or some magical amnesia ray hitting everyone but you? Some sort of human in an alien zoo scenario?

Because whether there is anyone to share knowledge with determines how useful it is. For instance, all but the most basic of medicine, and pretty much all of law and government would be useless if it's just me, but something like a working knowledge of herbal medicine has value even if it's just me. And for the human exhibit thing technology is probably less of a legacy than the more liberal arts/sciences and our history.

I'm not sure of your hypothetical, is this a last human on earth scenario? Or some magical amnesia ray hitting everyone but you? Some sort of human in an alien zoo scenario?

Because whether there is anyone to share knowledge with determines how useful it is. For instance, all but the most basic of medicine, and pretty much all of law and government would be useless if it's just me, but something like a working knowledge of herbal medicine has value even if it's just me. And for the human exhibit thing technology is probably less of a legacy than the more liberal arts/sciences and our history.

The hypothetical is that you are among others (perhaps a society not as advanced - say something like the ancient Greeks or Romans) that know nothing of earth and you are the only source of any information. What do you know enough about to be a source?

The Traveler

I would think the scriptures would be critical. I think of Lehi/Nephi and how they were commanded to return to Jerusalem to get the brass plates so their posterity would not dwindle in unbelief. Didn't the brass plates also have the genealogy of their fathers on it. So maybe also family/personal history would be important to take.

The hypothetical is that you are among others (perhaps a society not as advanced - say something like the ancient Greeks or Romans) that know nothing of earth and you are the only source of any information. What do you know enough about to be a source?

The Traveler

Well to personally be a source...

* Some basic algebra.

* Germ Theory of Disease.

* Theory of Evolution

* Nuclear theory but I doubt that'd be very useful for them.

* Some plate tectonics.

* The idea of the scientific method.

* The Gospel of Jesus Christ.

* The potential of steam/water wheels.

* A broad history of Earth and the United States.

You know, there isn't actually much I know well enough to be effective at teaching a people about. I mean the history and some of the culture they would believe me for, but aside from some basic math concepts I don't have the expertise to convincingly demonstrate anything. It's not like I know any metallurgy, or say engineering where I could outright build/create working demonstrations. I suppose I could demonstrate that steam can be used for work, even if models I might convince them to cobble together wouldn't be all that impressive, "So you can make something that stirs soup... impressive."

Really in the end they'd get History, the Gospel, and a disjointed fact or two that might be of use, a few algebraic formulas, and some theories that I wouldn't be able to demonstrate to them.

Edit:

Now if I knew what was going to happen and could take some sources:

* A collection of math books with an idea to those demonstrating proofs when applicable.

* Engineering and architectural books.

* Metallurgy, though couple this with books on how to identify materials. Telling them to add carbon to iron to get steel doesn't help if they can't relate iron and carbon to what they call such things.

* The Scriptures

* If I could find plans for a good way to demonstrate steam power for such a technology level.

* A book on simple chemistry with an eye towards useful formulas instead of just theory.

* A good history book.

* A good anatomy book (assuming these guys are anatomically human).

I'm sure I could think of others with enough time.

Edited by Dravin

What is important to you? I mean really important; important enough that you are a part of and it is also what defines you and what you are?

Let us say that there was some apocalyptic event that wiped out all there is to know about the history and society of man on earth; with one exception - You! And you alone are all that is left to continue whatever will remain of the human legacy on earth. What would you or could you take with you?

Myths and legends of what was the golden age of earth?

What would you bring of science, art, music education, governments, war, medicine law, justice and most of all religion? Without scriptures and only the example of your life as what you have become; what could others learn of you of us and your religion? What have you spent you life learning and what is it you add or think you add to give you meaning?

I do not have an agenda here, just wondering out laude concerning the real purpose of life and what some on the forum think they have learned.

The Traveler

I have learned to communicate via the spirit with my Heavenly Father. So, I could potentially bring all that He would see fit for me to have whatever that might be in that situation. If there was such a situation that would be the thing I would hope I would be most adept at. Then I could be inspired to follow whatever direction could be life saving or important at the time.

This would have to be also a compilation of all the spiritually influenced knowledge I have gained and been inspired to that point as possibly God has prepared whoever would be in such a situation all their lives for that very event. If I was to try to prepare a mental list of those attributes that I would think would be valuable in such a situation, I am sure I would miss important ones that God would rather I spend my time on or have.

I think the bottom line is that we need to constantly ask what God wants of us, individually and for ourselves. Then, no matter what is ahead we will be in a position to do whatever God has intended us to do in that situation.

Maybe its the environmentalist in me, but I would think one of the most important things to teach an "alien" semi-advanced civilization would be the importance of carrying capacity and the need to live sustainably. This would blend with the other important message- the gospel- as the Lord often stresses the importance of our stewardship over the land and "everything in moderation". Teaching an unknowing civilization how to make greater advances in technology without teaching them the consequences of careless expansion would lead them to making the same mistakes we have.

Sometimes it is the very simple things we take most for granted. One thing I would introduce the importnace of cleanlyness and the use of soap. I would take with me the knowledge of how to make and use soap - among other things.

The Traveler

Guest mormonmusic
Hidden

If I was the last person, and would have to just live out my days alone, I would probably bring my quad and also my musical instruments so I could learn to be a good jazz improviser. Also a journal of some kind to record my final days in case anyone ever found me. We all have this desire to leave a legacy behind us.

If it's not in my brain already, it ain't coming with me...

I would be fine with the "aliens" putting me on a museum and observing how I do things... as long as I get to eat tasty meals 3 times a day and sleep 8 hours a day and be allowed to go to the bathroom with the proper equipment - toilet paper/running water/etc., that I'm used to. And that they allow me to observe them freely.

Yep, that's really it.

Of course, I don't really know what I'll do... I'll probably end up dissected by the aliens...