Is there any update on the Temple in Arizona that was being protested?

Jenamarie

I live in the area so I have been following the temple story closely and also attended the public meetings. The neighborhood people opposing the temple have basically lost every legal challenge they've made and are to the point that they are just becoming desperate and mean spirited. The temple is going to be built according to the freedoms and laws of the land, all approvals have been granted and they are just waiting to get building permits and then there will be a ground breaking and construction is expected to start this fall.

In spite of that, the neighbors keep protesting and complaining. The neighborhood leader even said, "We are going to keep protesting," he said. "Even if they go forward with building the temple, we will protest the groundbreaking, dedication ceremonies and any and every event that comes." So now they are beyond protesting parking, spire height, and lighting, it's now sour grapes and they just want to protest the Church.Mormon temple protests target church's Utah leaders

If you search throgh AZcentral.com at the recent articles and go through the comments section, if you can get past the religion haters whose posts have nothing to do with the temple, you can see a pattern emerging, that even those who are not LDS have lost all sympathy for the neighborhood and their cause.

Edited by Saguaro
Add link to quote

• 1 month later...

Here's the latest antics from the temple opposition.

Neighbors float balloons to protest height of north Phoenix Mormon temple

Last week the Phoenix City Board of Adjustment agreed with the previous approvals of the parking lot, so to my knowledge there is nothing standing in the way of the temple construction. Work has already began at the site to prepare for construction. The last update I heard from my Stake President was that a ground breaking could happen this month, but nothing has been announced yet.

• 4 weeks later...

The groundbreaking ceremony for the Phoenix Temple will be this Saturday, June 4, at 9:00 AM. Only those invited can attend the live event at the site, it will be broadcast to the other buildings in my stake which the temple is in, I assume the broadcast will be available to a wider area but I don't have any other details.

Looks like the neighbors and the Church came to an understanding before the groundbreaking. The church agreed to turn off the lights at 10:15 PM, reduce the spire by a foot, and work on future parking and traffic issues.

"Church and Neighborhood Group representatives mutually shared their sincere regret that better relations and communications had not been established. In its efforts to demonstrate the desire and willingness to improve relations and show respect, the Church agreed to make the above referenced concessions to the Neighborhood Group. In return, the Neighborhood Group agreed to no longer pursue a court appeal of the recent Board of Adjustment decision or publicly oppose the temple project. The Neighborhood Group also agreed to use its best efforts to convey to the surrounding neighborhood the intent of the parties to move forward in a friendly and congenial manner."

Mormon Temple - News and Updates

remanufactured engines arizona

one foot? really? I really think this fight has been so bitter on the other side, and they ended up with nothing and no where to go with their rejected demands, that giving them this concession lets them save face. Hopefully this will end the issue.[/QUOT] Cheap Transmission Shops In Phoenix AZ

Yeah right, I hope that the issue will going to be resolve. I want to get rid of it also. :D

Edited by effacient