Succession Crisis

Usually success is a good thing, not a crisis. I don't have a problem with being successful in what I try to accomplish.

Perhaps the OP was referring to the succession crisis in regards to the church leadership following the martyrdom of Joseph Smith.

Or is my sarcasm detector not working?

I had two interesting things happen a few years back.

First, I inherited an old book from my grandpa, published by the church in the early 20'th century, about the claims of Joseph Smith III. It presented the RLDS claims on leadership, and refuted them point by point.

Second, I ran into someone from the RLDS church who tried to convince me that us Brighamites were in the wrong. I dug out my book, and was surprised to find this guy presenting the exact same points refuted by my book, in pretty much the order they were presented. I have never before done so well in a discussion about something I knew so little about. I guess those guys were still going off century-old justifications, long after they were soundly refuted.

We have a member or two of the CoC on this site - not sure if they're active posters right now. They're nice people.

And if I was unclear originally I appologize, as a lot of times I figure terms that are clear to me are also clear to others, and that isn't always the case : )

Also, Loudmouth_Mormon, do you know the name of that book?

And I don't know if I would be more interested in JIIIs Claims, as I would Rigdon, though I would definitely be interested as IIIs claim would seem potentially legit...

• 2 weeks later...

I have been doing a little research on my own and honestly the claim made by the Strangites that 2 Nephi speaks of "Come Come Ye Saints" when it says they will say "All is Well in Zion" is a little spooky. Not that I agree with it, but it still gives me pause.

Anyone have any good sources on this topic they want to add? Just wanted to bump it to see if anyone else had any ideas that may not have seen it before.

Thanks!

Guest saintish

I knew what he was talking about but then again I have always been interested in church succession, haven't found the time to do much reading on it though.

Have you looked into the History of the Church volumes much?

Also, Loudmouth_Mormon, do you know the name of that book?

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I don't remember the name, but I'm thinking you might have difficulty locating a copy due to it's rarity. The title was something like "The succession of Joseph Smith III"

If you google that phrase, you come up with a lot of hits. Not sure if any of them are worthwhile.

• 1 year later...