Joining the Church at the cost of my marriage?

lvlady

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In his case, there was no compromise. He apparently could not continue going to mosque, and come to church too. His parents disowned him.

Could CPS have intervened? I suppose. Then what, foster care? My understanding is that he stayed with church people until he was old enough to take care of himself. He likely would have been beaten had he tried to return home. We absolutely honor mother and father. However, when they say abandon the gospel, do we?

In the case the Chaplain presented, I don't think the Church would have sent the kid back. I think they would have created a safe haven for the boy.

Original Post:

I hate the idea of your husband telling you what you can and can't do as far as religion goes. I'd like to know how serious he is about it. Would he just be upset and angry, or would he really stop loving you?

In his case, there was no compromise. He apparently could not continue going to mosque, and come to church too. His parents disowned him.

Could CPS have intervened? I suppose. Then what, foster care? My understanding is that he stayed with church people until he was old enough to take care of himself. He likely would have been beaten had he tried to return home. We absolutely honor mother and father. However, when they say abandon the gospel, do we?

There comes a point when you have to think about your own safety and spirituality. Think of the parable of the 10 Virgins.

Original Post:

I hate the idea of your husband telling you what you can and can't do as far as religion goes. I'd like to know how serious he is about it. Would he just be upset and angry, or would he really stop loving you?

Last night I told him I am going to start going to church and I don't expect you to go with me or believe the same things that I do, but of course I hope you will one day but that may never happen.

He didn't say no, he said ok.

I said even if it is LDS? And he said even if it is LDS it is ok.

I also asked if he would be ok with me getting baptized and I would need his approval, he said he would approve.

He said he wouldn't approve of me getting endowed (Although not in those words).

I guess one step at a time right?

Hidden

my wife is like that ALOT of the time, using demanding threats "she used the word Divorce ALOT in our first years of marriage. I do not know what to say in your case. You need to sit down with him WHEN he is calm..and not in a rush, with no distractions and ask him why he feels this way.