Animal Sacrifice Will Be Restored?

Guest tbaird22

Polygamy was restored, ongoing revelation was restored, prophets were restored, temple building was restored....is it all that shocking really? I mean to western sentiments it's shocking, but it was an ordinance that portrayed the Savior's role in the Plan of Salvation. It was also a key ordinance equal in many respects to the sacrament we perform today.

Whether literally, or symbolically, the prophecy will be fulfilled. I just hope the priests of Aaron that fulfill it have stronger stomachs than me.

Guest Sachi001

It says the following at FAIR:

In 1840 Joseph Smith taught that the Old Testament (Malachi 3:3) foretells the restoration of elements associated with ancient Israelite temple service, including some form of sacrifice.

[Jehovah] continued to [Noah] the keys, the covenants, the power and the glory, with which he blessed Adam at the beginning; and the offering of sacrifice, which also shall be continued at the last time; for all the ordinances and duties that ever have been required by [p.211] the Priesthood, under the directions and commandments of the Almighty in any of the dispensations, shall all be had in the last dispensation, therefore all things had under the authority of the Priesthood at any former period, shall be had again, bringing to pass the restoration spoken of by the mouth of all the Holy Prophets; then shall the sons of Levi offer an acceptable offering to the Lord. 'And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the Lord.' (See Malachi 3:3).

It will be necessary here to make a few observations on the doctrine set forth in the above quotation, and it is generally supposed that sacrifice was entirely done away when the Great Sacrifice [i.e., the sacrifice of the Lord Jesus] was offered up, and that there will be no necessity for the ordinance of sacrifice in future: but those who assert this are certainly not acquainted with the duties, privileges and authority of the priesthood, or with the Prophets . . . .

These sacrifices, as well as every ordinance belonging to the Priesthood, will, when the Temple of the Lord shall be built, and the sons of Levi be purified, be fully restored and attended to in all their powers, ramifications, and blessings. This ever did and ever will exist when the [p.212] powers of the Melchisedic Priesthood are sufficiently manifest; else how can the restitution of all things spoken of by the holy Prophets be brought to pass? It is not to be understood that the law of Moses will be established again with all its rites and variety of ceremonies; this has never been spoken of by the Prophets; but those things which existed prior to Moses' day, namely, sacrifice, will be continued. (History of the Church 4:211).

It does not specifically refer to animal. It is presumed by the writers of FAIR and as Joseph F. Smith stated later in the article. The Prophet Joseph Smith was referring to some form of sacrifice.

IMO I don't see such necessity since the blood atoning sacrifice was made by Christ already. We do not know truly the will of the Lord and the Prophet J. Smith as he did not fully revealed. It could mean your tithe which is in essence ten percent of your finest or what is dear to you. Such as in Cain and Abel. Where as Abel gave the finest of his flocks with cheerful heart. Cain well he gave ten percent of poor pickings of his crop with an attitude. It could very well mean sacrifice of your service toward labor. Liken to the saints who donated their expertise and time toward building the Navoo Temple, Salt Lake, etc.....

The Lord may even ask you to to give up all your wealth. Such as the parable of the Rich Man who would not sell and serve Christ. Who in return rebuked him. Yeah that's a big one to swallow for sacrifice. I wonder how many would do that in the Last Days? Even with the Lord asking.

Recently i read an article on fairmormon.org that states animal sacrifice will be restored.

What say you?

Heres the article if interested:

Mormonism and the Bible/Old Testament practices/Animal sacrifice - FAIRMormon

Ok considering how bad the economy is, if we run out of money maybe we will be sacrificing our pets. LOL :eek:

All joking aside and I did mean this as a joke; you first have to understand Jewish culture as interpreted by Jews and not by Christian interpretation.

Here is why Jews sacrificed animals in the first place.

1. Consider it like tithing. Israel was commanded by God to bring their first flocks to the Temple as a sacrifice to God. Now keep in mind that animals in those days were the sole wealth of the people. In the days of Moses, people were not buying and trading with money. Animals were the source of one's wealth for a nomadic and eventually agrarian society. So they were giving back their portion to God as a thank you for for their sustenence as well as hoping for blessings just as we do today with our tithing.

2. Another thing to keep in mind is not EVERYONE owned flocks. Servants tended to flocks but had none of their own to sacrifice. Jews do not believe in the same concept as heaven and hell whereby anything needs to be sacrificed for one to go to heaven or "be saved." Salvation for the afterlife is not a concept at all in Judaism.

3. Also very important to consider, is those that brought their sacrifice to the Temple did not go inside the Temple. Only the priests accepted sacrifices from the people making the sacrifice, and the burnt offerings were performed in the Temple as an ordinance. It was the Priests job to do Temple work. That was their purpose.

Now here is why Jews stopped sacrificing animals:

1. There are NO Temples. After the destruction of the 2nd Jerusalem Temple there was no place to make such sacrifices.

2.. Because there are no more Temples, neither are there Jewish Priests, meaning no one to accept the sacrifices on anyones behalf and no direct line to God as the Priests were.

3. Even as the Israelites became an agrarian society where crops could be sacrificed, once there was no Priest to accept them, and no Temple to perform the offeratory work, the practice had to cease.

Note: Today there still is no Temple for the Jews. Places of worship are now synagogues where no such rights can be performed. Synagogues are places of prayer and learning; and the leaders are Rabbis (leader/teacher but Rabbis are not Priests), and scholar/ teachers, and board of Directors like Presidents, V.P. and chair persons. But no place to sacrifice anything. Affiliated Jews, (those who hold membership in synagogues), pay membership dues, not tithing and not sacrificing.

I do not personally know any Jewish community that practices animal sacrifice today. Perhaps in some remote sect in some remote country. But that would be as unacceptable to mainstream Jews as polygamy is to the current LDS church.

Will sacrifices happen in the future? No way of telling. Most Jews believe that the Jerusalem Temple will someday be restored, (another reason why Israelis will not give up Jerusalem to the Palestinians). But if and when the Temple is restored, no doubt there will be ordinances restored as well, but unless one's wealth is comprised of flocks, I tend to doubt the sacrifices would be animals.

It does not specifically refer to animal. It is presumed by the writers of FAIR and as Joseph F. Smith stated later in the article. The Prophet Joseph Smith was referring to some form of sacrifice.

IMO I don't see such necessity since the blood atoning sacrifice was made by Christ already. We do not know truly the will of the Lord and the Prophet J. Smith as he did not fully revealed.

Actually, Joseph Smith indeed spoke of animal sacrifices. He said the following in a talk he gave back in 1840. It also deals with the second part of your paragraph.

Why send Elijah because he holds the Keys of the Authority to administer in all the ordinances of the priesthood and without the authority is given the ordinances could not be administered in righteousness. It is a very prevalent opinion that in the sacrifices of sacrifices which were offered were entirely consumed, this was not the case if you read Leviticus [2] Chap [2-3] verses you will observe that the priests took a part as a memorial and offered it up before the Lord, while the remainder was kept for the benefit maintenance of the priests.

So that the offerings and sacrifices are not all consumed upon the Alter, but the blood is sprinkled and the fat and certain other portions are consumed. These sacrifices as well as every ordinance belonging to the priesthood will when the temple of the Lord shall be built and the Sons Levi be purified be fully restored and attended to then all their powers, ramifications, and blessings--this the Sons of Levi shall be purified. Ever was and will exist when the powers of the Melchizedek Priesthood are sufficiently manifest.

Else how can the restitution of all things spoken of by all the Holy Prophets be brought to pass. It is not to be understood that, the law of Moses will be established again with all it rights and variety of ceremonies, ceremonies, this had never been spoken off by the prophets but those things which existed prior Moses's day viz Sacrifice will be continued . It may be asked by some what necessity for Sacrifice since the great Sacrifice was offered? In answer to which if Repentance Baptism and faith were necessary to Salvation existed prior to the days of Christ what necessity for them since that time? (Joseph Smith, October 5, 1840. Original manuscript, in hand writing of Robert B. Thompson; LDS Church Archives. Cited in Smith, William V. A Joseph Smith Commentary on the Book of Abraham: An Introduction to the Study of the Book of Abraham. 2nd ed. Provo, UT: The Book of Abraham Project, 2002, pp. 65-66.]

Oliver B. Huntington also suggested the same possibility (second hand account)

"I heard the Prophet [Joseph Smith] reply to the question: 'Will there ever be any more offering of sheep and heifers and bullocks upon altars, as used to be required of Israel?' He said: 'Yes, there will, for there were never any rites, ordinances or laws in the priesthood of any gospel dispensation on this earth but what will have to be finished and perfected in this the last dispensation of time -- the dispensation of all dispensations." [Cited in Andrus, Hyrum L. and Helen Mae Andrus, They Knew the Prophet (SLC: Bookcraft, 1974), pg. 62.]

Also, as a little interesting piece of historical information, Wilford Woofruff recorded on his diary the fact that Brigham Young was planning to set a room in the Salt Lake City Temple for animal sacrifices. For some reason, he didn't.

We also have at least one account that suggested that the prophet Joseph Smith requested a special room at Kirtland for the sacrifice of a lamb.

Original sacrifice in Moses day though had nothing to do with salvation or the need for sacrifice for the purpose of where someone goes in the after life.

Many Christians also confuse the Israelites reference to "Messiah", which to them did not and does not mean someone to save them from hell through sacrifice, or give them a better place in the afterlife. It is referred to instead as a King (human King) that will rule in a peaceful world "When all the world will live in peace."

Animal sacrifice was done for the sole purpose of gratitude and prayers for further blessings of favor and increase and freedom from slacery, war and famine. The afterlife and salvation as known by Christians was never an issue regarding animal sacrifice.

Original sacrifice in Moses day though had nothing to do with salvation or the need for sacrifice for the purpose of where someone goes in the after life.

Many Christians also confuse the Israelites reference to "Messiah", which to them did not and does not mean someone to save them from hell through sacrifice, or give them a better place in the afterlife. It is referred to instead as a King (human King) that will rule in a peaceful world "When all the world will live in peace."

Animal sacrifice was done for the sole purpose of gratitude and prayers for further blessings of favor and increase and freedom from slacery, war and famine. The afterlife and salvation as known by Christians was never an issue regarding animal sacrifice.

Thanks for your perspective LDSJewess. :) I was just quoting what our early LDS leaders thought about animal sacrifices.

You are wecome Suzie.

This is one of those things that many in my church have asked me because of my Jewish background. One of our missionaries who was over for dinner asked me if Jews still offer animal sacrifices since they did not believe the Messiah had come, (not believing Jesus is the Messiah). I had to giggle because my little dog looked up at me and well.... it was just a laugh moment.

I never though of it though until they asked because it then dawned on me that LDS and other Christians alike think Jews were sacrificing animals with the belief of salvation in the way that Christians believe Jesus to be the sacrifice for our sins and for our salvation.

In fact Jews in Moses day, nor today are concerned with the afterlife in the way that Christians are. Many believe there is one but there is no concentration or focus on salvation. The entire focus of Judaism is giving thanks to God, atoning through fasting and prayer, serving one's fellow man, and asking God for guidance, protection, understanding and peace. Emphasis on heaven, hell and salvation from a Christian perspective is virtually non existant.

LDSJewess, you are forgetting that korban (sacrifice) is from the root meaning 'near.' Sacrifices were more than just thank-offerings, though those were an important form, sacrifices were meant to to bring man and God closer, effect a reconciliation, so to speak. The Targum Onkelos, for instance, translates the phrase "a pleasing fragrance" as "be accepted by the will of the Lord."

Guest Sachi001

Actually, Joseph Smith indeed spoke of animal sacrifices. He said the following in a talk he gave back in 1840. It also deals with the second part of your paragraph.

Oliver B. Huntington also suggested the same possibility (second hand account)

Also, as a little interesting piece of historical information, Wilford Woofruff recorded on his diary the fact that Brigham Young was planning to set a room in the Salt Lake City Temple for animal sacrifices. For some reason, he didn't.

We also have at least one account that suggested that the prophet Joseph Smith requested a special room at Kirtland for the sacrifice of a lamb.

Weeeeelllll mahalo for those sources. I was going by the FAIR article. I did not see any links to what you found. I'm going to stuff these sources in my notes now.

LDSJewess, you are forgetting that korban (sacrifice) is from the root meaning 'near.' Sacrifices were more than just thank-offerings, though those were an important form, sacrifices were meant to to bring man and God closer, effect a reconciliation, so to speak. The Targum Onkelos, for instance, translates the phrase "a pleasing fragrance" as "be accepted by the will of the Lord."

I recall from reading Edersheim that there were sacrifices to atone for individual sin, and sacrifices for national sin. Is that still a prevalent thought or is it considered outdated?

I recall from reading Edersheim that there were sacrifices to atone for individual sin, and sacrifices for national sin. Is that still a prevalent thought or is it considered outdated?

Yes, it still is. Since the temple has been destroyed prayer though is considered a substitute.

Guest tbaird22

where is this?

where is this?

Found it:

The Quorum of the Twelve had been filled, but of the number selected one (Willard Richards )was in England and Joseph was instructing those present of that Quorum how they must proceed to prepare themselves, that they might ordain Willard Richards to the Apostleship when they should reach that country. Joseph told them to go to Kirtland and cleanse and purify a certain room in the temple, that they must kill a lamb and offer a sacrifice unto the Lord which should prepare them to ordain Willard Richard a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.

Sidney made some remarks, when Joseph spoke with great power and spirit, said he, 'I know the law'. To a remark made by Heber C. Kimball he said, 'It will be the sweetest smelling savor you ever smelled.' (Journal of Wandle Mace, typescript, Harold B. Lee Library, BYU, pg. 32.)

Recently i read an article on fairmormon.org that states animal sacrifice will be restored.

What say you?

Heres the article if interested:

Mormonism and the Bible/Old Testament practices/Animal sacrifice - FAIRMormon

It may be temporarily because of promises and covenants... but I don't see it being reinstituted as a higher law-

The Law of moses was to teach, the animal sacrifice within was an emblem of Christ and his atonement.

- We still have to sacrifice and focus on christ, justs not with animals and as many rites anymore.

God has always called his people to sacrifice, in some manner or another.

Volgadon, true I stand corrected

At the same time however, I was trying to convey that the attempt to feel closer to God and effect a reconcilliation is far different than the thinking that evolved with Christianity.

Christianity teaches that Jesus is the "savior" often referred to as the "Lamb of God" or the sacrificial lamb, that since he was crucified there was no further need as Jesus in Christian belief IS the ultimate sacrifice and therefore no further sacrifice (as in animal sacrifice) is needed.

Christianity also teaches that Jesus is the "Messiah" and they believe that Jews think the Messiah hasn't come yet. (This part is correct).

What many Christians do not understand is the Jews do not believe in the need for a "savior" or sacrificial beast or anything that will determine whether they go to heaven or hell which is a far more abstract concept in Judaism.

Also Christians do not understand that Jews do not view the term "Messiah" as a God coming to save them and take them to heaven rather the hope for a Messiah to a Jew means a righteous human King sent by God to rule a completely peaceful. Jews do not think of this time as the end of the world either. They think of it as a time in life where all the world will live in peace led by a righteous King (Messiah).

So getting back to the original post here on this thread, I would have to wonder the following:

1. If Jesus was the final sacrifice according to Christian thinking, what need would there be for animal sacrifice again in the future.

2. If the Jerusalem Temple was restored what would be the motivation of Jews to resume the ancient custom of animal sacrifice and for what purpose?

I personally do not see modern humankind sacrificing aimals in the future be they Christians or Jews, as it would not appear to serve a purpose.

Yes, it still is. Since the temple has been destroyed prayer though is considered a substitute.

:offtopic: I may be looking beyond the mark here, but the idea of atonement on a national level suggests to my mind the Atonement applying on a national level. It's as though the gathering is promised because of that Atonement. I can't really connect the dots.

I'm wondering if you're aware of any correlaries.

Also Christians do not understand that Jews do not view the term "Messiah" as a God coming to save them and take them to heaven rather the hope for a Messiah to a Jew means a righteous human King sent by God to rule a completely peaceful. Jews do not think of this time as the end of the world either. They think of it as a time in life where all the world will live in peace led by a righteous King (Messiah).

I do apologise for centering in on a single remark. I promise to address this and the rest of your points in more detail later. What you describe is one Jewish conception of the Messiah, a very Maimonidean conception. In other currents of Jewish thought and belief the Messiah has a more spiritual role.

I do apologise for centering in on a single remark. I promise to address this and the rest of your points in more detail later. What you describe is one Jewish conception of the Messiah, a very Maimonidean conception. In other currents of Jewish thought and belief the Messiah has a more spiritual role.

I look forward to further discussion on this. I'm always ready to learn about other ideas on this.

While Jesus' death ended animal sacrifice, there is still the concept of reconciliation. As the Book of Mormon teaches (see 3 Ne 8-10), we now sacrifice and offer up a broken heart and contrite spirit.

It is now through the sacrifice of Jesus that we become reconciled to God. We still have our part to accomplish by offering gratitude, faith, hope, obedience, humility, etc., and in doing so are reconciled. Our weekly Sacrament service becomes our sacrifice, as Jesus is symbolically sacrificed anew through the bread and cup, and we seek reconciliation there.

In the LDS temple, the concept of reconciliation through Christ's atonement reverberates through the entire endowment. We symbolically walk through levels of existence, including a period of being outside God's presence, and then a reconciliation that returns us back into his kingdom.

As Volgadon notes, there were ancient Jews (and some today, including in the Kabbalah) that suggest a stronger tie to a spiritual Messiah. The Essenes of Qumran wrote of both a royal and spiritual Messiah who would save the people. In some writings these were potentially separate persons, but in others are definitely the same. The Essenes actually had a special bread and wine service to commemorate the coming Messiah!