Support of Jaredite Origins?

cdave

Scientists tell us people with as large a brain case as ours has been around for at least 35,000 years, and yet denied them the ability to "sail the seven seas" until 1492 in spite of the evidence of the people living on the islands of the seas.

Now we have evidence of at least two Sumerian affiliated settlements ( the Aymara of Bolivia and the Olmec of Southern Mexico) in South and Central America dating back to 2,000BC!

World Mysteries - Strange Artifacts, Fuente Magna - Rosetta Stone of Americas

"Discussion

Bernardo's discovery of the Pokotia monument supports the research of the Verrills that the Sumerians came to South America in search of metals. A.H Verrill and R. Verrill, Americas ancient civilizations (New York: Putnam, 1953), and J. Bailey Sailing to Paradise, (New York: Simon & Schuster, 1994) maintain that the area around Lake Titicaca may have been called Lake Manu, by the Sumerians. According to the Verrills and Bailey the Sumerians came to this area in search of tin. They support this view by a discussion of the Sumerian traditions, that Sumerians set sail to the land west of the Mediterranean that they called the "Tin land of the West" or "Sunset Land". It is interesting to note that a major center in this area is Potosi. Bailey suggest that Potosi may relate to the Sumerian term Patesi the Sumerian term for 'priest king'."

Interesting,

My understanding was that most of the tin in the ancient near east resulted from deposits in Cornwall (Which would support the Land West or the Sunset Land attributions as well) or from Brittany. I'd never heard this view before.

-RM

Being cornish I had to comment. The cornish have been trading Tin, Copper and other metals with the east since approximately 2,150 BC. Mining in Cornwall and Devon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[derail over]

Sumerian does not necessarily = Jaredite.

Second, this "evidence" has not been properly provenanced nor examined yet. The "Dr Clyde Winters" that made the translation only has a Master's in Social Sciences with a minor in anthropology - or so he claims. That does not make him an expert on Sumerian language. Plus, he is a self-admitting African-centric promoter, seeking to show that Africans settled the world. Last I looked, Sumeria was not in Africa, but he uses the Olmec statues that look African to "prove" some of this stuff. Hey, the Olmecs were in Mexico, not Bolivia.

There is yet no evidence that any civilization was settled in and around Lake Titicaca that long ago (3000 BC). And given that LDS scholars tend to think that the Jaredites were in northern Mexico causes a major problem shifting them thousands of miles to the south on another continent.

I would be very skeptical of this one.

• 2 weeks later...