Interested in the Mormon church

Hello, I am interested in the Mormon church and wanted to talk to some people who are part of it so I can learn more about it. I have met many Mormans and they have told me a few things about their beliefs, but I honestly do not know much. I was not brought up religious, but I have a lot happen in my life over the past year and I feel like faith would be a good addition to my life at this point in time. I do not really know where to start or what questions to ask. I would love any help or experiences from anyone. Thank you, :D

Edited by Mday16

mormon.org would be a great place to start. You can read about LDS beliefs and values or even chat with a missionary.

As always, you can ask questions here. There are many nice people who will give good answers and info.

Pax Vobiscum

Hello, I am interested in the Mormon church and wanted to talk to some people who are part of it so I can learn more about it. I have met many Mormans and they have told me a few things about their beliefs, but I honestly do not know much. I was not brought up religious, but I have a lot happen in my life over the past year and I feel like faith would be a good addition to my life at this point in time. I do not really know where to start or what questions to ask. I would love any help or experiences from anyone. Thank you, :D

Just a heads up on spelling, but there isn't an a in Mormons. I know, how depressing, the only info you get is spelling. :D It's because it's a nickname after a person Mormon (a prophet, it's who the Book of Mormon was compiled by and thus the name of that book of scripture), not that men in the Church are just so much manlier than everyone else (though if you tell them that it's probably a great way to break the ice) :).

Other people provided some good resources, alternatively, and I'm sure the missionary you talked to pointed it out, but you can speak to some missionaries in person if and when you want. You're also welcome to attend services, you can find the nearest meeting house here: LDS Maps The last link of Connie's actually is to the study manual for the Sunday School classes held at Church for investigators and newer members (though settled members are welcome to attend and do so). If you do attend you may find this thread worth going over: http://www.lds.net/forums/learn-about-mormon-church/17741-what-expect-when-attending-lds-service.html

Just a heads up on spelling, but there isn't an a in Mormons. I know, how depressing, the only info you get is spelling. :D It's because it's a nickname after a person Mormon (a prophet, it's who the Book of Mormon was compiled by and thus the name of that book of scripture), not that men in the Church are just so much manlier than everyone else (though if you tell them that it's probably a great way to break the ice) :).

Other people provided some good resources, alternatively, and I'm sure the missionary you talked to pointed it out, but you can speak to some missionaries in person if and when you want. You're also welcome to attend services, you can find the nearest meeting house here: LDS Maps The last link of Connie's actually is to the study manual for the Sunday School classes held at Church for investigators and newer members (though settled members are welcome to attend and do so). If you do attend you may find this thread worth going over: http://www.lds.net/forums/learn-about-mormon-church/17741-what-expect-when-attending-lds-service.html

Thank you for letting me know that! I apologize if that is considered offensive! I have never been great at spelling :) haha

What is a typical service like? I wasn't brought up religious, so I don't know what to expect.

Thank you for letting me know that! I apologize if that is considered offensive! I have never been great at spelling :) haha

I don't find it offensive, it's just one of those quirky spellings that pops up because of English's use of the schwa. :)

What is a typical service like? I wasn't brought up religious, so I don't know what to expect.

It consists of 3 hours (I know, that's a fair amount if you aren't use to it, nothing wrong if you only come for one part) divided into three parts of 1 hour each. Dress is Sunday best. You'll see that for members that translates into a white shirt, slacks and a tie (quite often a full suit) and for the woman a skirt and blouse or a dress. The important thing though is that if your best cloths are a pair of nice jeans and an unprinted t-shirt please come, you aren't unwelcome if you aren't wearing the whole shirt and slacks or blouse and skirt combo, I'm just letting you know because a lot of people feel more comfortable if they blend in.

A) Sacrament Meeting (actually more like an hour and 15 minutes) - This is the most important meetings if you aren't going to go all three hours (which takes some time getting used to so I can understand if it's a bit much for a first time).

• A hymn is sung by the congregation (hymn books provided) accompanied by piano or organ.
  • An opening prayer is given by a member of the congregation.
  • House keeping items such as announcements, reading in the names of new members, and sustaining and releasing from callings.
  • A sacrament hymn is sung that pertains to the atonement or the sacrament.
  • The bread is blessed and passed (by young men or adult men) to the congregation, and then the water is blessed and passed (by the same young men or adult men) to the congregation. This is effectively the LDS version of communion, if you listen to the prayer there are certain promises made and blessings promised. It is also a renewal of the covenants (or two way promises) we make with God at baptism. You don't need to partake (not being a member) but nobody will prevent you if you so choose.
  • There are talks on spiritual subjects given by members of the congregation and often there is hymn between the two talks.
  • A closing prayer is said and people move to rooms they need to for the next hours activities.

B) Sunday School -

People split up depending on age group and where they want to go:

• Gospel Doctrine where they will be studying the New Testament (We rotate between studying the Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants and Church History, the Old Testament, and the New Testament, each gets a year's study then a next one is studied for a year, these may be out of order).
  • Gospel Principles where they study the manual that Connie linked to, this class is designed with new members and investigators in mind.
  • Children go to primary (a larger group meetings), and young adults go to classes where they are grouped by age.

C) Priesthood/Relief Society -

• The men go to priesthood and woman go to Relief Society (in different rooms). This year we are studying out of the Gospel Principles manual every 2nd and 3rd Sunday of the Month.
  • The 1st Sunday of the month is determined by local leaders, the 4th Sunday's lesson is determined by Church Head Quarters.
  • Every 5th Sunday of the month (which aren't all that common) the Bishop, he is like the minister of the ward with his counselors (two men who help him with his responsibilities) determine the lesson. It's not uncommon for them to combine the men and woman to teach this lesson (sometimes even young adults depending on the subject).

This is obviously an overview, so if you wanted more details or had questions about any of the stuff I mentioned feel free to ask.

Edited by Dravin

Guest gopecon

Mormon services last for 3 hours and are broken up into 3 parts.

Typically the first hour consists of Sacrament Meeting, which is attended by the entire congregation. There will be hymn singing, an opening and closing prayer, the Sacrament (bread and water - representing the body and blood of Christ - similar idea to Catholic Communion), and some talks/sermons. The talks are often given by "regular members", not the bishop (although he will take his turn occasionally).

The second hour is for Sunday School classes. Children under 12 will be taught in the Primary for hours 2 and 3. Teens and adults have their own classes. Most of the Sunday School classes are on a 4 year rotating curriculum, with 1 year devoted to the Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon, and Doctrine and Covenants/Church History. New members and investigators will often have a class devoted to the basics titled Gospel Principles.

The third hour we separate into different organizations. Women go into the Relief Society, girls go to Young Women's organization, and men and boys go into their respective priesthood quorums/classes.

so where do men go if they are not members during priesthood meeting? I know its a dumb question from a long time member but I just never thought about it before being a woman.

They go to priesthood meeting as they are potential (and hopefully future) members of a quorum. A non-member isn't technically a member of Relief Society or Primary either, so its an equivalent situation.

Edited by Dravin

I was on there talking to a missionary earlier. They were extremely helpful!

Welcome!

When I was looking into the LDS church, I started off with talking on-line on mormon.org with a couple of Sister (ladies) missionaries. Christine and Mei -- I'll never forget them. So helpful! I've been a member for almost a year. Wouldn't change a thing :)

While this isn't an official LDS site, I also enjoyed browsing Mormons Made Simple. Lots of friendly, useful info presented in a fun way.

Welcome!

When I was looking into the LDS church, I started off with talking on-line on mormon.org with a couple of Sister (ladies) missionaries. Christine and Mei -- I'll never forget them. So helpful! I've been a member for almost a year. Wouldn't change a thing :)

While this isn't an official LDS site, I also enjoyed browsing Mormons Made Simple. Lots of friendly, useful info presented in a fun way.

Thank you for giving me some insight on your experience. After speaking with them on there what did you do next? I am extremely interested and honestly the more I talk with missionaries and others the more interested I become. So I appreciate your and everyone else's help! :)

Thank you for giving me some insight on your experience. After speaking with them on there what did you do next? I am extremely interested and honestly the more I talk with missionaries and others the more interested I become. So I appreciate your and everyone else's help! :)

I transitioned from chatting with mormon.org missionaries to actually talking over the phone. I'd have a scheduled time to expect their call. Those sessions were a combo of an opportunity for me to ask questions and for the Sisters to teach basic concepts. I attended weekly sacrement meetings during that time (first hour only), although I could've gone for all the sessions. I was just anxious :) I also started reading the scriptures and praying for guidance.

My next step was to transition to local missionaries -- ooh, I was nervous calling them! The Sisters were really encouraging, but they could only take me so far over the phone. They helped me identify my assigned ward on LDS.org. I emailed the Bishop, introduced myself, and asked if I could meet with the local missionaries.

Shortly afterwards, I had weekly sessions with the two missionaries in the home of a long-time member and another member. We'd go through the lessons, I'd ask questions, and they got to know me. These meetings were usually about an hour. I was a pretty easy convert -- I knew from moment one that I was home -- but it was good to go through all the steps anyway.

During this time I started going to the Gospel principles class (for beginners) and the Relief Society meetings (for ladies). I got to know the other members, went to activities, read scriptures, gained a testimony, and eventually got baptized.

Keep asking questions -- we're glad you're here :)

I transitioned from chatting with mormon.org missionaries to actually talking over the phone. I'd have a scheduled time to expect their call. Those sessions were a combo of an opportunity for me to ask questions and for the Sisters to teach basic concepts. I attended weekly sacrement meetings during that time (first hour only), although I could've gone for all the sessions. I was just anxious :) I also started reading the scriptures and praying for guidance.

My next step was to transition to local missionaries -- ooh, I was nervous calling them! The Sisters were really encouraging, but they could only take me so far over the phone. They helped me identify my assigned ward on LDS.org. I emailed the Bishop, introduced myself, and asked if I could meet with the local missionaries.

Shortly afterwards, I had weekly sessions with the two missionaries in the home of a long-time member and another member. We'd go through the lessons, I'd ask questions, and they got to know me. These meetings were usually about an hour. I was a pretty easy convert -- I knew from moment one that I was home -- but it was good to go through all the steps anyway.

During this time I started going to the Gospel principles class (for beginners) and the Relief Society meetings (for ladies). I got to know the other members, went to activities, read scriptures, gained a testimony, and eventually got baptized.

Keep asking questions -- we're glad you're here :)

Thank you! This was really helpful. I know this may be an odd question (anyone who would like to answer it I would love to hear the feedback.) but what are the best questions for me to ask the missionaries? I'm interested and willing to learn, but like I have said before I just don't know what questions to ask. I would really like to meet with some local missionaries.

Thank you! This was really helpful. I know this may be an odd question (anyone who would like to answer it I would love to hear the feedback.) but what are the best questions for me to ask the missionaries? I'm interested and willing to learn, but like I have said before I just don't know what questions to ask. I would really like to meet with some local missionaries.

The most important question that only you can answer is this: Is it true?

Ask your missionaries these:

- How does God answer prayers?

- How do I know if He is answering mine?

- What is the Spirit?

- How can I keep the Spirit with me?

The most important aspect of a faith is communication with God. Once you have this communication and relationship, you can then ask God if the Book of Mormon is true scripture. Then you will know if what the missionaries are teaching you is real and if you should be baptized.

Baptism is a covenant or promise between an individual and God. You make certain promises and God makes certain promises.

"You promise to take upon yourself the name of Jesus Christ, keep His commandments, and serve Him to the end. ... As you keep the covenant you made at baptism, the Lord will bless you for your faithfulness. Some of the blessings you receive are the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost, the remission of your sins, and the privilege of being spiritually reborn."

LDS.org - Support Materials Chapter - Baptism

Baptism is a covenant or promise between an individual and God. You make certain promises and God makes certain promises.

"You promise to take upon yourself the name of Jesus Christ, keep His commandments, and serve Him to the end. ... As you keep the covenant you made at baptism, the Lord will bless you for your faithfulness. Some of the blessings you receive are the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost, the remission of your sins, and the privilege of being spiritually reborn."

LDS.org - Support Materials Chapter - Baptism

Thank you! That explained it great! I understand now :)