Not Mormon

sandyturley1954

Hi,

I am not a Mormon, I am a Mennonite. I am visiting my niece here in Roanoke, for the Thanksgiving Holidays, and she asked me if I wanted to come to church with her, and I told her, I would like to see how they participate. The songs were the songs we sing. They seemed friendly, and I didn't feel like they were all going to jump on me, and try and convert me. I was however given the book of Mormon to read. During the service a young woman came up to give a testimony. The whole time she was up there, I counted her saying The Book Of Mormon 28 times, in the 45 min. she was up there. When church was over, everyone filed into different classrooms. Something about different wards? When we went into the first classrooms, more info was to be learned(just like in our Sunday school). OK that is all fine. Then we went into another classroom, just woman, and talked more, this time the 3 levels of heaven.. Sorry, that is bunk.

Then it was explained to me. It actually sounds like how the New Angers Believe. I was a new ager many years ago. And they believed that they waited up in heaven for the next birth date, and they already new the anomaly they would be besieged with them, as they grew up on mother earth.

Ok well the real reason I am here, is to discuss Liltih. Anyone know about her? Well, I googled her to the Morman Church, and BINGO... You had a lot of what people think about her. And it is true... I wondered if Lilith would be a part of your Bible, which by the way isn't exactly a King James Version, because it got the book of Morman inter-mingled with it.

Every now and then, I might hear Jesus Christ and what he had done for me and you...yea!

My biggest reason for being here, is to hear and learn more about Lillith. I want to for everyone to know how unimportant the bible is, when Lilith, is there taking over Eve's spotlight..

Welcome :) My grandfather was Mennonite until he met my grandmother who was Lutheran so he was .... dont remember the right word but not a member anymore? He always lived as a Mennonite through his life however. :)

We do use the KJV although if you saw the one published by the church then it has different footnotes to include links to all the scriptures we use: Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price.

I have seen some discussions on here of Lilith. Cant say I am swayed by them. :) Do you believe there was such a woman? What information do you have on her? :)

And it is true... I wondered if Lilith would be a part of your Bible, which by the way isn't exactly a King James Version, because it got the book of Morman inter-mingled with it.

Are you thinking a Quad (It has our four books of scripture in it)? Which is just a case of the Book of Mormon and the KJV sharing a cover kinda like a trilogy in one book. The text of the LDS KJV is the same as any other (to my knowledge), the difference would be in footnotes. Or is the footnotes what you were referencing?

Edited by Dravin

Lilith is not taught, mentioned, or talked about anywhere on lds.org.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Search - Lilith

That includes the standard works, lesson manuals, study helps, General Conference sessions, and church magazines. There is no reference to Lilith anywhere.

How you came up with an association between Lilith and Mormonism is baffling.

There is a thread about Lilith here on the forum, though ...

http://www.lds.net/forums/general-discussion/42711-adam-had-more-than-one-wife.html

We need to address a few things in your post before talking about this 'Lilith' character. The misinformation you have about the church ranges from "inaccurate" to "incoherent" and is dripping with condescension that is completely unwarranted. Your post is impressively wrong. So wrong that you should win a prize. I'm not trying to mean but you need to get your facts straight! :)

your Bible, which by the way isn't exactly a King James Version, because it got the book of Morman inter-mingled with it.

The KJV Bible that is published by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is not "inter-mingled" with the Book of Mormon in any fashion. They are companions to each other, 2 separate testaments of Jesus Christ. But they are not mixed together.

"Every now and then, I might hear Jesus Christ and what he had done for me and you...yea!"

Christ is mentioned 1,009 times in the standard works of the church and an additional 868 times in the study helps for a combined 1877 references. So if you're having trouble finding references to the Savior in the standard works then the problem is on your end.

Then we went into another classroom, just woman, and talked more, this time the 3 levels of heaven.. Sorry, that is bunk.

The idea of multiple heavens is not unique to Mormonism. Not at all. There are early Jewish writings that mention 3 heavens and 5 heavens, Islam has teachings about 3 heavens, early gnostic texts and the Nag Hammadi library has numerous references to multiple heavens and there are apocrypha works (like the Apocalypse of James) that mention 3 heavens. So there is no need for you to apologize.

Well, I googled her to the Morman Church, and BINGO... You had a lot of what people think about her.

I'm assuming you meant the 'Mormon Church' and not the 'Morman Church'. I can not find any mention of her in any church publication or historical record. There is no "BINGO" to be had anywhere.

And it is true... I wondered if Lilith would be a part of your Bible

She is not a part of our Bible. The word "Lilith" does not appear in any church publication, period.

May I suggest that you hold off on your Lilith research and take advantage of all the information about Mormons here on the forum? There isn't much concerning Lilith here anyway. Your time here on the forum is a great opportunity to learn about the LDS Church. The community here will answer any questions you might have. Either way, I hope you find what you're looking for. Welcome to the forum.

Calling any religion's beliefs "bunk" isn't a super way to open up communications for getting your questions answered. But I'll just say I have been in this church all 33 years of my life, and never heard of Lilith until someone else brought the same question to this website a couple of weeks ago.

Thank you for comming to the source for your information rather than going to those who don't really know or have made up their own views on what we believe and/or practice. It shows that you are truely looking for truthes and I respect that A LOT.

I do not know much about the "person" refered to as "Lilith", but from what I understand is that she was Adam's first wife/companion, but due to imperfections in her creation she and Adam did not "hit it off" as was the plan of God. I only have this information as my roomate is Jewish and she was writing a report for one of her college classes and she had to explain it to me so I would be able to give my opinion on her paper.

The problem that I have with the idea of "Lilith" actually existing as the we would have to then say that God made a mistake in His plan, and frankly I am not willing to say that God is flawed as he is perfect.

So that leads us to the second part of your question. No, "Lilith" would not be part of our Bible/Docturine as we do believe that God is perfect and his plan is Perfect.

I would like to invite you to stay a while and ask more questions, as was pointed out in previous posts there are a few areas that you spoke of in your post that are not true and a few that you may have to revisit what is said in the Bible (that is the Bible and not the Book of Mormon). A good example of this is your comment on our belief in "3 Heavens". This is actually a teaching that is ignored by many Christian Religions even though it is straight out of the Bible (1 Chorinthians 15:40-41). In this passage of the Bible it speaks of the different levels of Heaven and referes to them as "Glory" one of the Sun, Moon, and Stars. So this belief is based on Biblical teachings.

I would also invite you to read the Book of Mormon from Cover to Cover and pray and ask God to tell you if it is true. In the Bible (James 1:5) it says "If any of you lack wisdome, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." If you ask and truely want to know God will let you know.

• 2 months later...

Sorry going to have to disagree with the GOD is not perfect...If there is/was a god.

God making Lilith for Adam as a mistake would be a tiny mistake compared to the rape, murder, violence, abuse, torture, destruction of the world today.

All relationships would be perfect and there would be no need for divorce court nowadays.

It might seem more believable to me that there was a Lilith and she did not make the cut...If God was perfect he would not have had to punish Lilith for her refusal to return to Adam from the Red Sea when the angels threatened her death.

If god was perfect there would be no imperfection in this world. It is possible to question things and not assume that God is perfect and still keep your faith, but to claim Lilith is irrelevant due to the fact that God is perfect is not a plausible or logical explanation as to who or what Liliths role in the bible is.

(Or any example, does not need to be the Lilith example!)

Lilith was first mentioned in the jewish Talmud around 500 years after Christ was resurrected. She wasn't mentioned as Adam's first wife until 300 - 500 years later. This was in Jewish folklore. Not the teachings of the Ancient Prophets as described in the old testament. She was however mentioned in the Dead Sea Scrolls but hardly anything about being anyone's wife.

Hi,

I am not a Mormon, I am a Mennonite. I am visiting my niece here in Roanoke, for the Thanksgiving Holidays, and she asked me if I wanted to come to church with her, and I told her, I would like to see how they participate. The songs were the songs we sing. They seemed friendly, and I didn't feel like they were all going to jump on me, and try and convert me. I was however given the book of Mormon to read. During the service a young woman came up to give a testimony. The whole time she was up there, I counted her saying The Book Of Mormon 28 times, in the 45 min. she was up there. When church was over, everyone filed into different classrooms. Something about different wards? When we went into the first classrooms, more info was to be learned(just like in our Sunday school). OK that is all fine. Then we went into another classroom, just woman, and talked more, this time the 3 levels of heaven.. Sorry, that is bunk.

Then it was explained to me. It actually sounds like how the New Angers Believe. I was a new ager many years ago. And they believed that they waited up in heaven for the next birth date, and they already new the anomaly they would be besieged with them, as they grew up on mother earth.

Ok well the real reason I am here, is to discuss Liltih. Anyone know about her? Well, I googled her to the Morman Church, and BINGO... You had a lot of what people think about her. And it is true... I wondered if Lilith would be a part of your Bible, which by the way isn't exactly a King James Version, because it got the book of Morman inter-mingled with it.

Every now and then, I might hear Jesus Christ and what he had done for me and you...yea!

My biggest reason for being here, is to hear and learn more about Lillith. I want to for everyone to know how unimportant the bible is, when Lilith, is there taking over Eve's spotlight..

well welcome :)

yes in areas with higher densities of LDS population we havev to share the same building, and as the standard church meeting has 3 seperate 1 hour blocks there has to be some juggling done.

While i'm sure that there are individuals within the church that have beliefs regarding lillith, its not something that is taught or there is official doctrine on, so you'll probably be hardpressed to find something in the LDS church that references her.

I don't understand what you mean we don't use the KJV... do you mean the one that has everything bound together between its covers? otherwise our kjv has been the same kjv thats been used for a very long time about the only thing added to it literally has been the footnotes, and possibly the the chapter introductions.