Evidence Of Mormonism

JoshuaFKon

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally know for a fact that if or when someone intentionally murders another person... with murder defined as the killing of an innocent person... with an innocent person defined as someone who is totally innocent of any crime for which there would be a "good" reason to kill him/her... (such as self defense, or the defense of another innocent person or people, or to preserve a righteous way of life instead of allowing a murderer to rule (a righteous war), etc...) then, in that situation, our Lord will not wipe the sin of murder from a person's conscience and not hold them accountable for that act EVEN IF the person who murders someone else feels really sorry and won't ever do it again.

I think you meant "and hold them accountable." In any case, it is written in the Scriptures that the only unforgivable sin is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Therefore, murder is forgivable. It is also written that if you hate your brother you are a murderer because if you break any part of the law you become a law-breaker. Therefore, if you believe a murderer cannot be forgiven his sins, then neither can the one who hates his brother, unless you show partiality toward the sinner based on the severity of the offense, and we know God does not show favortism.

I actually fully agree, with both of you.

The problem i have is being mocked or looked down on and told that all my insight is from satan, when i use the exact same methods as LDS do to find truth and verification. It's all circular logic on both sides, but people constantly ask me how i can be so lost or so close and still miss it, and how i'm just not good enough cause I'm not LDS. This seems so far off the 11th article, but most members swear it's not. The only points i wished to make is 1) the lack of respect for one non-member and the slight willingness to address another one. 2) was why is it okay to be asked this sort of question repeatedly by LDS members, but not ask it back?

hay soul You are Good enough dont let anyone tell you are Not!!

<div class='quotemain'>

I personally know for a fact that if or when someone intentionally murders another person... with murder defined as the killing of an innocent person... with an innocent person defined as someone who is totally innocent of any crime for which there would be a "good" reason to kill him/her... (such as self defense, or the defense of another innocent person or people, or to preserve a righteous way of life instead of allowing a murderer to rule (a righteous war), etc...) then, in that situation, our Lord will not wipe the sin of murder from a person's conscience and not hold them accountable for that act EVEN IF the person who murders someone else feels really sorry and won't ever do it again.

I think you meant "and hold them accountable." In any case, it is written in the Scriptures that the only unforgivable sin is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Therefore, murder is forgivable. It is also written that if you hate your brother you are a murderer because if you break any part of the law you become a law-breaker. Therefore, if you believe a murderer cannot be forgiven his sins, then neither can the one who hates his brother, unless you show partiality toward the sinner based on the severity of the offense, and we know God does not show favortism.

I can see how you could think I should have not have said not. And I could have phrased it that way too. The point I tried to make is that our Lord holds a person accountable (or will not NOT hold a person accountable) if he/she murders an innocent person, as I defined those terms.

And btw, I believe murder, as I defined it, IS a sin against the Holy Ghost, because the Holy Ghost would assure a person, and has assured every person, that they're about to commit a very serious sin.

It's not like:

"Oh really??? You mean I wasn't supposed to do that to that person???

Well why didn't you tell me before, God??? I had no clue how You felt."

Heh, nuh uh. It ain't gonna fly, my friend. :)

please read all of this at this link http://www.bookofmormononline.org/evidence.html

i have gone out of my way for you so hope that u will take the time to read and Study this u will have to print it all out!! LOL

17 Points of the True Church!

1. Christ organized the Church (Ephesians 4:11-14)

2. The true church must bear the name of Jesus Christ (Ephesians

5:23)

3. The true church must have a foundation of Apostles and Prophets

(Ephesians 2:19-20)

4. The true church must have the same organization as Christ's

Church (Ephesians 4:11-14)

5. The true church must claim divine authority (Hebrews 5:4-10)

6. The true church must have no paid ministry (Isa 45:13 / Peter

5:2)

7. The true church must baptize by immersion (Matthew 3:13-16)

8. The true church must bestow the gift of the Holy Ghost by the

laying on of hands (Acts 8:14-17)

9. The true church must practice divine healing (Mark 3:14-15)

10. The true church must teach that God and Jesus are separate and

distinct individuals (John 17:11 / 20:17)

11. The true church must teach that God and Jesus have bodies of

flesh and bone (Luke 24:36-39 / Acts 1:9-11)

12. The officers must be called by God (Hebrews 5:4 / Exodus 28:1 /

40:13-18)

13. The true church must claim revelation from God (Amos 3:7)

14. The true church must be a missionary church (Matthew 28:19-20)

15. The true church must be a restored church (Acts 3:19-20)

16. The true church must practice baptism for the dead (1

Corinthians 15:16&29)

17. By their fruits ye shall know them. (Matthews 7:20)

Why are these things important? HEBREWS 13:8

The Scriptures,

http://scriptures.lds.org/

FREE MP3 Scriptures Released By The Church!!!!!

http://www.lds.org/mp3/newarchive/0,18615,5249-1,00.html

Free Book of Mormon.

http://www.mormon.org/freeBookofMormon/1,1...959-794,00.html

Evidence of Things Not Seen”

“Evidence of Things Not Seen”

Elder Mark E. Petersen

Of the Council of the Twelve

Mark E. Petersen, “Evidence of Things Not Seen,” Ensign, May 1978, 61

Some people continue to challenge Book of Mormon. Not only do they attack the authenticity of that sacred volume, but they question our right to have scriptures other than the Bible.

We Latter-day Saints have three volumes of scripture in addition to the Bible. They are additional witnesses for the Lord Jesus Christ, declaring to all who are willing to read them that He is our Savior and our Redeemer. In this day of trouble and doubt, shall we not be grateful for increased affirmations of the Christ?

Having been taught that the Bible contains all of the word of God, some ask us why we have these other scriptures. They do not realize that the Bible provides for more scripture and that it points to a pattern established anciently by the Lord in which He placed prophets on earth to provide that scripture.

Their revelations were recorded, together with some of the history of the times, and became scripture. As each new prophet wrote, his records were added to the existing scripture. In this way there was a constantly growing volume of the sacred word. Eventually many of these writings were compiled into a book which we know as the Bible.

This process continued as long as the Lord had prophets on earth, both in Old and New Testament times. Never was it thought that this accumulated record contained all of the word of God because, over the years, the Lord continued to send new prophets who received new revelations which in turn became new and additional scripture. It was a set pattern of the Lord from the days of the patriarchs to the time of John the Revelator.

There are some who do not realize that there were prophets in the original Christian church and that it was the intention of the Lord that they should continue in the Church until we all come to a unity of the faith.

But instead of unity among Christians, what do we have? We have division, which is overwhelming evidence of the need for the continued ministry of Christian prophets.

Do you remember how Paul explained this principle to the Ephesians? He said that the very foundation of the Church rested upon the apostles and the prophets, with Jesus Christ as the chief cornerstone. (Eph. 2:20.)

Then, describing the organization of the Church, he said that the Savior “gave some apostles and some prophets and some evangelists and some pastors and teachers” as officers in the Church. He declared their purpose to be “for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body” of the Church. (Eph. 4:12.)

Is there ever a time when the members can stop working toward perfection, when they no longer are benefited by activity in the Church, or when they do not require teaching and edifying?

Paul said that these officers who teach and edify are needed in the Church until we become perfect, until we reach the fulness of the measure of the stature of Christ. Heaven knows that none of us has achieved that distinction.

But what was another reason these officers should remain in the Church? Paul says they were given to us as a protection “that we henceforth be no more [as] children tossed to and fro … with every wind of doctrine.” (Eph. 4:14.)

They will protect you from the false teachings of cultists and splinter groups and from the misleading philosophies of men.

The Church of Jesus Christ, then, should always be led by living apostles and prophets who would receive the constant guidance of heaven. They would continue always in the Church as seers and revelators for the people.

But as they so ministered they would be providing also new and additional scripture appropriate to the times in which they lived, according to the Lord’s pattern.

The prophets of the early Christian church ministered in their day just as the Old Testament prophets did during the preceding centuries. And why? Because they followed this same divine pattern, for as Amos explained, the Lord works only through prophets. (Amos 3:7.)

When there are no prophets, there is no divine direction, and without such guidance the people walk in darkness.

It is an infallible sign of the true church that it has in it divinely chosen, living prophets to guide it, men who receive current revelation from God and whose recorded works become new scripture.

It is an infallible sign of the true church also that it will produce new and additional scripture arising out of the ministrations of those prophets. This unfailing pattern of God is clearly made manifest through his dealings with his people from the beginning.

The Lord himself predicted that there would be other volumes of scripture in addition to the Bible. He knew, however, that some people would refuse to believe and would object to receiving more scripture. So He said:

“Many of the Gentiles shall say: A Bible! A Bible! We have got a Bible, and there cannot be any more Bible.

“Know ye not that there are more nations than one? Know ye not that I, the Lord your God, have created all men, and that I remember those who are upon the isles of the sea; and that I rule in the heavens above and in the earth beneath; and I bring forth my word unto the children of men, yea, even upon all the nations of the earth?

“Wherefore murmur ye, because that ye shall receive more of my word? Know ye not that the testimony of two nations is a witness unto you that I am God, that I remember one nation like unto another? Wherefore, I speak the same words unto one nation like unto another. And when the two nations shall run together the testimony of the two nations shall run together also.

“And I do this that I may prove unto many that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever; and that I speak forth my words according to mine own pleasure. And because that I have spoken one word ye need not suppose that I cannot speak another; for my work is not yet finished; neither shall it be until the end of man, neither from that time henceforth and forever.

“Wherefore, because that ye have a Bible ye need not suppose that it contains all my words; neither need ye suppose that I have not caused more to be written.

“For I command all men, both in the east and in the west, and in the north, and in the south, and in the islands of the sea, that they shall write the words which I speak unto them; for out of the books which shall be written I will judge the world, every man according to their works, according to that which is written.

“For behold, I shall speak unto the Jews and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the Nephites and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the other tribes of the house of Israel, which I have led away, and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto all nations of the earth and they shall write it.

“And it shall come to pass that the Jews shall have the words of the Nephites, and the Nephites shall have the words of the Jews; and the Nephites and the Jews shall have the words of the lost tribes of Israel; and the lost tribes of Israel shall have the words of the Nephites and the Jews.

“And it shall come to pass that my people, which are of the house of Israel, shall be gathered home unto the lands of their possessions; and my word also shall be gathered in one.” (2 Ne. 29:3, 7–14.)

So said the Lord.

We, of course, have the Bible as do other Christians. But we also have the writings of the Nephites, who were the ancient inhabitants of America, and who recorded their revelations and history in what is known today as the Book of Mormon. And what is the Book of Mormon?

The Apostle Paul at one time defined faith as the evidence of things not seen. The Book of Mormon is solid, tangible evidence of both the seen and the unseen.

It is a book that can be felt and handled and read. It is a physical object. It cannot be explained out of existence. The critics cannot make it go away. As a published book it is here—tangible, physical, and material.

We can hold it in our hands. We can give it away as a gift. We can send it through the mail. If we wished, we could drop it in the ocean or burn it in a fire, or we might even study it page by page for spiritual light and inspiration.

It is a physical volume which was printed on an electric press, in a commercial printing house, on paper made in a commercial paper mill, and with the use of ordinary printers’ ink.

In other words, the Book of Mormon is a physical object, just as is the Bible or any other book. As a physical object, no one can say that it does not exist. Neither can it be explained away.

But where did it come from?

It was brought by an angel of God who came to earth for the particular purpose of delivering that book to Joseph Smith, the Mormon prophet.

But does anybody believe in angels in this enlightened age?

If you believe the Bible, you must believe in angels. And further, if you read the Bible you will know that it plainly says that an angel was designated to come to earth in the latter days to give a particular book to a particular man within a particular time frame.

To identify that man, the scripture refers to him as an unlearned man. Strange, isn’t it, that the prophet Isaiah would do this? But that angel did come within the specified time, and came to Joseph Smith who was the specified unlearned man. The book was then translated by Joseph Smith through the power of God and published to the world as the Book of Mormon.

There is no plausible explanation for the origin of that book except the one given by Joseph Smith.

The critics have tried other explanations for a hundred years, but have met only with dismal failure.

Who was this angel of whom we speak? His name was Moroni. Inasmuch as he brought the Book of Mormon, his coming made that tangible book physical, material evidence that there are angels of God and that one of them came to Joseph Smith and gave him this book.

And who was Moroni? He was one of the prophets who lived in ancient America and died 1,500 years ago.

To appear in our day, obviously he had to come back from the dead. Our whole religion is based on angelic personages coming back from the dead. Then immortality is real, proved by the fact that an immortal personage delivered this tangible, material Book of Mormon to a modern, mortal man.

In coming back from the dead, Moroni was a physical being of literal, corporeal, material reality. He held those heavy gold plates in his hands. A block of metal measuring seven-by-seven-by-eight inches could weigh anywhere from thirty to fifty pounds. But Moroni held them in his hands and turned over the pages with his fingers. His were flesh and bone hands, resurrected hands.

Then the Book of Mormon, as a physical, material, tangible object, also becomes evidence of the resurrection of the dead.

Let us remember that twelve modern men saw and handled those same plates after Moroni had delivered them to Joseph Smith. In describing this experience, eight of them said that they handled them with their hands and added, “We have seen and hefted and know of a surety that the said Smith has got the plates of which we have spoken.” (“The Testimony of Eight Witnesses,” Book of Mormon, p. vii.)

They handled the plates with their hands. So did Moroni.

They turned over the pages, one by one. So did Moroni.

They examined the engravings on those plates, some of which were made by Moroni 1,500 years ago.

So the published Book of Mormon is a physical witness to the fact of immortality, to the resurrection from the dead, and to the reality of God and His Son, Jesus Christ.

In this day of doubt and criticism, should we not be grateful for physical evidence of unseen things? Then shall we not accept the Book of Mormon as such evidence?

The chief reason we have the Book of Mormon is that in the mouth of two or three witnesses shall all things be established. (See 2 Cor. 13:1.) We have the Bible; we also have the Book of Mormon. They constitute two voices—two volumes of scripture—from two widely separated ancient peoples, both bearing testimony to the divinity of the Lord Jesus Christ.

But we have two other scriptural witnesses also, making four altogether. They are the modern scriptures given as revelations through the Prophet Joseph Smith, and they, too, declare that Jesus is the Christ, the Savior, the Creator, the long-promised Messiah.

The world has been so confused by the conflicting creeds of men that the truth had to be given to mankind once again to disabuse their minds and correct their thinking. There was only one way in which this could be done and that was by new revelation. But to have new revelation requires the presence of a prophet to receive it, for as Amos said, the Lord will not act except through prophets. (See Amos 3:7.)

There was no prophet in all Christendom at the time the new revelation was to be given. So God raised up a new prophet to receive that revelation, to publish the Book of Mormon, and to direct the preaching of the true gospel in every nation.

And who was that prophet? Joseph Smith, Jr. He was the divinely called seer of latter days. He was the modern revelator. He was the translator and publisher of the Book of Mormon under the direction of Almighty God.

Not only was he a divinely chosen prophet himself, but under his hands other prophets were raised up to carry on the work after him.

We are those other prophets! We hold the divine authority of Jesus Christ! We speak in his name and declare his word! And our testimony is true!

This we solemnly affirm with all the power of our being, in the name of Jesus Christ. amen.

Gospel topics: Book of Mormon, prophets, restoration

The Church Jesus Organized

Chapter 18

31129, Gospel Fundamentals, Part Six: The Church of Jesus Christ, 18: The Church Jesus Organized, 95

Jesus organized a church when He was on the earth. What was it called? Who led His Church?

Jesus Was the Head of the Church He Organized

When Jesus was on the earth He organized a church. This church was called the Church of Jesus Christ. The members of Jesus’ Church were called Saints. Jesus Himself was the head of the Church. He led it. He chose twelve men to help Him lead the Church. They were called Apostles. These Apostles were also prophets. Jesus put His hands on their heads and gave each of them the priesthood. He assigned them to do His work. These Apostles and prophets were the leaders in the Church of Jesus Christ.

In the Church of Jesus Christ, men who had received the priesthood put their hands on the heads of other good men and gave them the priesthood. This is the only way the priesthood can be passed on from one man to another. The priesthood cannot be bought.

Discussion

• Who was the leader of the Church of Jesus Christ?

• What were the men called who helped Jesus?

The Church of Jesus Christ Continued on the Earth After He Returned to Heaven

After Jesus returned to heaven, His Church continued on earth. It was led by the Twelve Apostles. When an Apostle died, Jesus chose another man to replace him. Through the Holy Ghost, Jesus made known to the other Apostles who the new Apostle should be. The Twelve Apostles selected other good men and gave them the priesthood to help do the work of Jesus’ Church. These men were called Seventies, high priests, elders, bishops, priests, teachers, and deacons. Their duties are explained in chapter 20.

Jesus Led the Church through Revelation

Messages Jesus gives through the Holy Ghost to people on earth are called revelations. Jesus guides His Church by revealing to the prophet and other leaders the things they should do.

Before Jesus returned to heaven, He told His Apostles He would be with them always. Jesus meant He would continue to guide them through the Holy Ghost.

Discussion

• How did Jesus lead His Church after He returned to heaven?

The Church of Jesus Christ Contained His True Teachings

The leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ received revelation from Jesus through the Holy Ghost. For example, Jesus told the Apostle Peter the gospel should be taught to all people and not only to the people of Israel. Jesus told the Apostle Paul many things he should teach the people. Jesus told many things about the future to the Apostle John.

While He was living on the earth, Jesus taught people to believe in Him, repent, and be baptized. He taught them to love our Father in Heaven and obey Him. He taught them to love other people and help them.

After Jesus returned to heaven, the Apostles taught the same things Jesus had taught. All who wanted to be members of the Church of Jesus Christ had to have faith in Jesus Christ, repent of their sins, and be baptized. They received the gift of the Holy Ghost, as Jesus had promised. They learned to love our Father in Heaven and obey Him. They learned to love and serve other people.

Discussion

• What did the people have to do to join the Church of Jesus Christ?

Those Who Belonged to the Church of Jesus Christ Received the Spiritual Gifts

Those who belonged to the Church of Jesus Christ received spiritual gifts. Some of the gifts were faith to make sick people become well, the ability to tell about future events, and the power to see visions.

Discussion

• What are some of the spiritual gifts?

Jesus’ Church Was No Longer on the Earth

After Jesus returned to heaven, His Apostles led the Church. More people became members of the Church. But some of the members started to teach and believe false things, instead of the things Jesus and the Apostles taught. For example, some people taught that our Father in Heaven does not have a body of flesh and bones.

Wicked people started to persecute the leaders and other members of the Church. The wicked people killed the Apostles and other leaders who had the priesthood. They also killed many other members of the Church of Jesus Christ.

People taught more and more false teachings until no one believed the true teachings of Jesus. No one had the priesthood, so no one could do Jesus’ work on the earth or receive instructions from Jesus for all our Father in Heaven’s children. The time when no one believed the true teachings of Jesus and no one had His authority is called the Apostasy.

During the Apostasy, people organized churches that were different from the Church Jesus had organized. They taught things that Jesus did not teach. They did not have the priesthood. They performed ceremonies that were different from the ceremonies performed in Jesus’ Church. They had no revelation from Jesus. They did not teach all the commandments of the gospel as Jesus and His Apostles had taught them. The prophets had said that all this would happen.

Discussion

• How did the Apostasy happen?

Jesus Promised He Would Restore His Church to the Earth

Jesus knew the people would lose His power and true teachings. So He prepared a way for the true Church to be organized again on the earth.

The Apostle John saw in a vision the time when the gospel would be brought back to the earth. He saw that Jesus would send angels to teach men the truth about our Father in Heaven. Jesus would make sure all our Father in Heaven’s children could receive the gospel, the priesthood, the blessings, and all other things necessary for them to be able to return to our Father in Heaven.

Discussion

• Why did Jesus prepare a way to reorganize His Church again on the earth?

References

Jesus Was the Head of the Church He Organized

• Luke 9:1 (Jesus gave power to His Apostles.)

• 3 Nephi 27:8 (The Church of Jesus Christ is called by His name.)

The Church of Jesus Christ Continued on the Earth After He Returned to Heaven

• Matthew 16:16–18 (Peter is selected to lead the Church after the death of Jesus.)

• Matthew 28:20 (Jesus promises to be with the Apostles always.)

• Mark 3:14 (Jesus chose twelve men to be Apostles.)

• Mark 16:17–18; 1 Corinthians 12:4–11 (The followers of Jesus will have spiritual gifts.)

• Luke 10:1 (Jesus chose seventy men to preach the gospel.)

• John 14:26 (Jesus will always be with the Apostles through the influence of the Holy Ghost.)

• Acts 1:23–26 (A new Apostle is selected to take the place of another who had died.)

• Acts 8:18–20 (Peter tells a man that the priesthood cannot be bought.)

• Acts 10 (Through revelation, Peter learns that the gospel is for everyone.)

• Acts 14:23 (Elders are ordained* in the congregations.)

• Ephesians 2:19–20 (Jesus is the chief cornerstone of His Church, helped by Apostles and prophets.)

• Ephesians 4:11–13 (Titles of officers appointed by Jesus are given.)

• James 5:14–15 (The sick may be blessed by a person who has the authority of the priesthood.)

Jesus’ Church Was No Longer on the Earth

• Amos 8:11–12 (Men will be seeking for the truth, not knowing where to find it.)

• Matthew 24:9–12 (The Apostles would be killed.)

• 2 Thessalonians 2:3–4 (The Apostasy is foretold.)

• 2 Peter 2:1 (False prophets taught lies.)

Jesus Promised He Would Restore His Church to the Earth

• Daniel 2:44–45 (The kingdom of our Father in Heaven will be set up in the last days.)

• Acts 3:20–21 (Jesus will return to the earth to restore His gospel.)

• Revelation 14:6 (An angel will assist in restoring the gospel.)

Early Signs of the Apostasy

By Kent P. Jackson

The New Testament both prophesies and documents the first-century apostasy

Kent P. Jackson, “Early Signs of the Apostasy,” Ensign, Dec. 1984, 8

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has proclaimed to the world consistently since its beginning that there was an apostasy of the church founded by Jesus during his Palestinian ministry and led by his Apostles following his ascension. 1 This is a fundamental belief of the Latter-day Saints. If there had not been an apostasy, there would have been no need for a restoration.

Latter-day Saint theology asserts that the church of the Savior and his Apostles in the Old World came to an end within a century after its formation. 2 The doctrines which its inspired leaders taught were corrupted and changed by others not of similar inspiration, the authority to act in God’s name was taken from the earth, and none of the Christian systems that existed after those developments, though they did some good things, enjoyed divine endorsement as the Lord’s own church. (JS—H 1:19; D&C 1:30.)

Possibly the best single witness of the apostasy of New Testament Christianity is the New Testament itself. The New Testament writers prophesied that apostasy would take place in the Church and that the Church in fact would be overcome by it. Just as significantly, the New Testament actually records apostasy happening as the book was being written. As time progressed, the heresies against which the Apostles contended became increasingly virulent and increasingly successful, as the record attests. Near the end of the first century, the apostolic record came to a sudden close.

In this article, we will first look at prophecies of the apostasy, then at the actual New Testament chronicle of the apostasy itself.

Prophecies about Apostasy

The New Testament contains several statements made by Jesus and his Apostles about the future of their work. Though the Apostles labored with great zeal to bring souls to the Lord and establish the Church throughout the world, still their prophetic utterances concerning the end result of their efforts foretold tragedy. In short, they knew that the Church would fall into apostasy shortly after their time, and they bore candid testimony of that fact, as the following passages demonstrate.

Matthew 24:9–11

In Matthew 24, Jesus prophesied of events that would transpire in the near and distant future. Matthew 24:9–11 [Matt. 24:9–11] records a prophecy of great importance concerning the future of the Church (and the Joseph Smith—Matthew rendering of this passage places it clearly in the context of the latter days of the early Church). 3

“Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name’s sake.

“And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.

“And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.”

Here we learn that the Apostles would be afflicted, hated, and put to death for Christ’s sake. Yet the killing of the Apostles was not the cause of the apostasy. Other references clearly teach that Christianity died from an internal wound, the rejection of true doctrine by the members of the Church. Still, the death of those who alone held the authority to lead the Church could only mean the death of the Church itself.

Verse 10 provides a valuable prophecy of the rejection of truth by the Saints: “then shall many be offended.” The Greek verb skandalízô in the passive voice, translated offended in the King James Version, more accurately means, in a theological sense, “to give up one’s faith” or “fall into sin.” “Many,” the Savior foretells, will do it at that day.

Verse 11 records an additional prophecy—that many false prophets would arise and would “deceive many” (italics added). Recall that the historical context here is the last days of the apostolic era, when the Apostles would be afflicted, hated, and killed. Taking their places in the minds of many would be what the Savior calls “many false prophets.” 4

Acts 20:29–31

To the elders of Ephesus, Paul made this prophecy:

“For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.

“Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.

“Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.” (Acts 20:29–31; italics added.)

With the wolf metaphor, Paul was probably not describing physical attack or external persecution as much as he was foreseeing the rise of evil forces within the church and their gaining power over the Saints.

2 Thessalonians 2:1–12

In the second Thessalonian letter, Paul taught that the day of Christ’s coming would not take place until the “falling away” and the revelation of the “man of sin,” “the son of perdition.” (2 Thes. 2:3.)

The term “falling away” may give the incorrect impression of a process of drifting or gradually losing ground. The original Greek term, apostasía (from which we have the English word “apostasy”), means something much more drastic. Ancient sources use the term to describe political rebellion and revolution. 5 In verses 3 and 4, Paul asserted that the rebellion would supplant God from his position in the Church. The chief feature of this time of rebellion would be the triumph of the “man of sin … who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.” (2 Thes. 2:3–4.) 6

The “man of sin,” generally equated with Satan, 7 would exalt himself over all that is divine and assume the place of God in the Church. Of historical and theological significance is the fact that in Paul’s prophecy the church structure survives. But God is not at its head, making that church—following the appearance in it of Satan—no longer the church of God.

To say that Satan sits in the place of God in Christianity after the time of the Apostles is not to say that all that is in it is satanic. Indeed, Latter-day Saints should rejoice—as the heavens undoubtedly do—at the great works of righteousness and faith, and the leavening influence on the world, of those whose lives are touched in any degree by Him whose gospel the Saints enjoy in its fulness. Still, “the power of God unto salvation” (Rom. 1:16) is absent from all but the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which the Lord himself has proclaimed to be “the only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth” (D&C 1:30). Satan’s goal of hindering many of God’s children from returning to their Father’s glory is thus realized. How appropriate, therefore, is Paul’s description of him sitting in the place of God in the church of the apostasía.

1 Timothy 4:1–3

In Paul’s first letter to Timothy, he prophesied concerning the departure of some of the Saints from the faith:

“Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils.” (1 Tim. 4:1.) 8

A few decades after Paul foretold the departure of some from the faith in the “latter times,” Jude wrote of “certain men [who had] crept in unawares” (Jude 1:4), reminding readers that the Apostles had warned earlier that “there should be mockers in the last time who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.” (Jude 1:17–19.) Similarly, John expressed to the readers of his first letter the certainty of the fact that they themselves were in “the last time” (eschátê hôra—see 1 Jn. 2:18–19). Clearly John and Jude knew that they were not in the final era of the world, but their words reveal the fact that they knew that they were in the final day of the Christian church, when the night of apostasy was beginning. 9 While many of the signs of apostasy they spoke of apply readily to the “latter days” preceding the second coming of Jesus Christ, it appears that their primary focus was on the apostasy in process in the first century A.D.

As we have seen in other prophecies examined so far, the departure from the faith would be a defection from true principles of doctrine. What Paul saw was not an abandonment of religion but a shifting of loyalties from the true faith to a false faith.

2 Timothy 4:3–4

Paul’s final prophecy of the abandonment of true religion is found in the last chapter of 2 Timothy, where he talks about men replacing “sound doctrine” with “fables.” Again, Paul saw a willful rejection of true doctrine and its replacement by doctrines that were untrue but more to the liking of the hearers. Notice that the people involved, although unwilling to put up with correct teachings, desired teachings nonetheless. Having “itching ears”—a desire to hear religion—they would acquire teachers whose doctrines were acceptable to them. [2 Tim. 2:3–4]

2 Peter 2:1–3

Paul was not alone among the Apostles in prophesying doom for early Christianity. In 2 Peter, the chief Apostle foretold the introduction of false teachers into the Church:

“But there were false prophets also among the people [of old], even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily [i.e., secretly] shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

“And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.” (2 Pet. 2:1–2.)

Revelation 13:1–9

In Revelation 13 we read John’s vision of the victory of the forces of Satan over the Saints of the Lord. In his vision, John saw the appearance of a beast, which was an agent of the devil. “And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.” (Rev. 13:7, italics added.)

The Prophet Joseph Smith said that this beast was “in the likeness of the kingdoms of the earth.” (JST, Rev. 13:1.) Kingdom, in a scriptural context, can mean any kind of institution, movement, force, or power—religious, political, or otherwise. In viewing John’s beast in the light of its context in Revelation 13 and other prophetic statements concerning the fall of the Church, we can identify it as the institutions or forces that prevailed over (or, more accurately, corrupted) true Christianity, leaving an apostate Christianity in its place.

Evidence of Early Apostasy in the New Testament

The foregoing passages demonstrate that Jesus and his Apostles knew that the Church which they headed would come to an end shortly after their generation. But perhaps even more striking than the prophecies of apostasy is the evidence of apostasy actually taking place as the New Testament was being written. In the writings of the Apostles we have ample evidence that as the Christian church grew so also did the cancerous elements within it that finally led to its death. The New Testament not only foretold the death of the Church, but it also recorded it as it happened. In fact, the end of the New Testament essentially heralds the end of the Church.

In order to demonstrate that fact, let us examine in chronological order several issues from the New Testament epistles. It will become apparent that as the first century progressed, the doctrinal and behavioral problems against which the Apostles struggled became increasingly severe. In the earliest letters, written midway through the first century, the Apostles had to contend with relatively harmless issues of doctrinal misunderstanding. But by the time the last letters were written at the end of the century, the heresies were so malignant that the Apostles could no longer hold back the tide of apostasy.

1 and 2 Thessalonians (ca. A.D. 50–51)

In the Thessalonian letters, the doctrinal problems to which Paul had to address himself were corrected fairly easily. In both letters, misunderstandings concerning Jesus’ second coming are evident. In 1 Thessalonians, the problem was the belief that those who were alive when the second coming took place would have an advantage over those who had died previously. (See 1 Thes. 4:13–17.) In the second letter, Paul refuted the idea that the “day of Christ” was “at hand” (2 Thes. 2:2) by prophesying of the apostasy that would precede that day (see 2 Thes. 2:3–4).

We can assume that a belief such as that which Paul countered in 2 Thessalonians could have grave implications for the Church. Without examining the hypothetical possibilities, we could conclude that without Paul’s corrective letter the Thessalonian Saints may have developed greater problems. The Church was fortunate that Paul, by virtue of his apostolic priesthood authority and divinely endowed spiritual gifts, could speak the Lord’s word to ensure the integrity of the Church. One might ask, what happens to the Church when such men are no longer in it?

James (ca. mid-50s A.D.)

In the letter of James, it is clear that the Apostle was contending against incorrect ideas concerning the nature of faith in relation to Christian works. His corrective words include “For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.” (James 2:26.) An underemphasis of the works of the gospel is perhaps not the kind of problem that would bring all of Christianity to ruin, and James gave us no hint that he expected wholesale apostasy because of it. Yet those who were guilty of disregarding the importance of works had a “dead” religion, to use James’s word, and a “dead” religion certainly has no power to save. Perhaps without James’s letter more serious problems could have developed.

1 Corinthians (ca. A.D. 56)

If 1 Corinthians is a realistic indicator, the church at Corinth developed serious problems in doctrine and behavior not long after it was founded. In chapters 1 to 4 [1 Cor. 1–4], for example, Paul wrote concerning factions or divisions that had developed in the Corinthian church around various authorities. The mere thought that some may have been focusing their allegiance on him rather than on Christ was so offensive to Paul that he considered himself fortunate that he had not baptized more of them into the Church, “lest any should say that I had baptized in my own name.” (See 1 Cor. 1:10–16.) It can be argued that giving allegiance to one church leader over others is, in lesser degrees, not the stuff from which apostasy immediately develops. It is clear, however, that if left uncorrected it could bring more serious problems of allegiance and doctrine into the Church.

In chapter 5, Paul reprimanded the Corinthian Saints in the strongest of terms for allowing a case of incest to go uncorrected. He commanded in the name of the Lord that the guilty party be excommunicated. Paul said, “Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?” (1 Cor. 5:6), speaking of the damaging potential of allowing a moral problem as serious as incest to remain unpurged. It should be recalled that a few years later Paul prophesied that the abandonment of true religion would be accompanied by the acceptance of degenerate standards of moral behavior. (See 2 Tim. 3:1–4.)

First Corinthians deals with doctrinal heresies as well, among which were the misuse of the sacrament (1 Cor. 11) and a distorted understanding of spiritual gifts (1 Cor. 12–14). Yet perhaps the most revealing doctrinal problem at Corinth was the belief of some that there is no resurrection. In chapter 15 Paul established the validity of the doctrine that Jesus rose from the dead and that all people would do likewise, pointing out that Christianity is meaningless if there is no resurrection. (See 1 Cor. 15:14, 17–19.)

To deal with each of these issues at Corinth, Paul wrote decisively and firmly. We have no way of knowing to what degree his letter motivated the Corinthians to reject the false ideas circulating among them, but the issues involved were serious and potentially very damaging.

2 Corinthians (ca. A.D. 57)

In 2 Corinthians Paul reveals much of himself, his problems, and his actions. Among the Corinthians were some who had attacked Paul’s doctrine and his dedication to the work of the Lord. Paul felt the situation was serious enough to warrant a frank defense. And so, in a manner not usually characteristic of Paul, he spoke of his sacrifices in behalf of the gospel—his whippings, imprisonments, stonings, shipwrecks, pain, hunger, and thirst—and of his visions and revelations. (See 2 Cor. 11:23–27; 2 Cor. 12:1–12.) Paul said he was speaking foolishly in doing so (see 2 Cor. 11:21, 23), yet as a representative of the Lord he had an obligation to defend his own integrity and that of his message. If the Corinthian Saints rejected Paul, the messenger who brought them the gospel, what would prevent them from rejecting the message as well?

Galatians (ca. A.D. 58)

In the letter to the Galatians, Paul responded to a movement within the Church that countered his teachings with a Judaized Christianity and attacked him personally. Among the Jewish converts in the Church were those who held that members must observe certain Jewish practices to be saved. It appears from the letter that the success of the anti-Pauline Judaizers was high, which caused Paul a great deal of concern. Paul accused the Saints of turning to what he called “another gospel” under the influence of those who would “pervert the gospel of Christ.” (Gal. 1:6–7.) Among other things, he accused them of looking back to the Law of Moses for salvation (Gal. 3:1–5), observing Jewish holidays (Gal. 4:10), and accepting circumcision again (Gal. 5:2–4). So emphatic was he with regard to the apostolic authority of his message and its divine origin that he punctuated his rebuke by saying that even if “an angel from heaven” came teaching doctrine different from what he had taught, it should be rejected! (Gal. 1:6–12.)

Colossians (ca. A.D. 61)

In Paul’s epistle to the Colossians, we find the earliest evidence for gnosticism in the early Christian Church. 10 Gnosticism was a false philosophy that had at its focus a belief that spirit was perfect and holy but that matter, and all that was created of it, was entirely evil. This idea held that God was a being of pure spirit and could have nothing to do with man, a creature of matter (and therefore evil); so instead of worshipping God, gnostics revered an extensive hierarchy of lower deities. It is probable that in his letter to the Saints of Colossae, Paul attacked just such a heresy by denouncing what he called the “worshipping of angels.” (Col. 2:18.)

One problem Christian gnostics faced was that Christians believed Jesus Christ to have been both God and man. Because Jesus had a body of matter, his position in the heavenly hierarchies was problematic for gnostics. Paul responded forcefully to this ambivalence regarding the role of Jesus when he emphasized in Colossians 1:16–17 and 2:9–10 [Col. 1:16–17; Col. 2:9–10] His preeminence over all. 11 Note the power of his words as he defined Jesus’ position:

“For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him.” (Col. 1:16.)

Paul proclaimed the Savior to be “the head of all principality and power.” (Col. 2:10.) He warned the Colossians to “beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.” (Col. 2:8.) Gnosticism and related heresies were a serious problem for the Church. Such beliefs were so antithetical to the doctrines of Jesus and the Apostles that attempts to merge and reconcile them contributed to the corruption of the original faith. Extra-biblical sources tell us that gnosticism played an important role in the first centuries of Christian history. 12 Whereas the religion of the Apostles did not continue, its gnosticized counterpart did.

1 Timothy and Titus (ca. A.D. 63)

The pastoral epistles give additional evidence that apostate doctrines were widespread in Christianity even while Paul was still alive. A major source of heretical teaching was gnosticism.

The term gnosticism comes from the Greek noun gnôsis, which means “knowledge.” Gnostics believed that they had secret “knowledge” that had been passed on to them by Jesus or the Apostles. They held that it was through this gnôsis that one was saved, for it enabled him to rise above the evil physical world. Paul may have been warning Timothy to beware of such false “knowledge” when he wrote: “O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and disputations of what is falsely called knowledge [gnôsis].” 13

In 1 Timothy 1:3–4 [1 Tim. 1:3–4], Paul counseled Timothy to teach others to avoid “fables and endless genealogies.” Similarly, he admonished Titus to “avoid foolish questions, and genealogies.” (Titus 3:9.) We know that genealogy for worthy purposes was known among early Christians. (See Matt. 1:1–16; Luke 3:23–38; Acts 4:36; Philip. 3:5.) What Paul was referring to here was quite different, since he denounced it in the context of speculative doctrinal contention that was “unprofitable and vain.” (Titus 3:9.)

Gnosticism’s dualism of pure spirit on one extreme and evil matter on the other gave rise to an extensive genealogy of subordinate deities, each descending from one more holy than himself. In some second-century gnostic systems, there were as many as 365 levels in this chain of divine beings. 14 Many commentators believe that Paul’s prohibition against “endless genealogies” refers to this type of structure. 15 Such diverting speculations do not edify in faith, Paul said, but “minister questions.” (1 Tim. 1:4.)

The pastoral epistles show other signs of the popularity of false doctrine in the Church. Paul warned Timothy of those who teach ideas other than the word of Jesus Christ. Those who do so are obsessed with “questions and strifes of words,” out of which come “perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds.” (1 Tim. 6:3–5; see also 2 Tim. 2:23.) He told Titus:

“For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision:

“Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not. …

“Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith,

“Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.” (Titus 1:10–11, 13–14.)

2 Timothy (ca. A.D. 67)

Paul’s final letter, written to his beloved associate Timothy, was penned while the aged Apostle awaited his execution in Rome. In this pathetic setting, Paul spoke of the apostasy as having already begun. He warned Timothy against “profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness. And their word will eat as doth a canker.” (2 Tim. 2:16–17.) He mentioned two men guilty of spreading false doctrine who had ruined the faith of some by teaching that the final resurrection had already taken place.

Perhaps Paul’s most sorrow-filled words are those found in 2 Timothy 1:15 [2 Tim. 1:15]: “This thou knowest, that all they which are in Asia be turned away from me.” His choice of words is grim evidence of apostasy among the churches in Asia. Paul had taught the gospel there thirteen years earlier, and the people had accepted it in tremendous numbers. (Acts 19:8–22.) But now they were turning from him, and from his message as well. (See 2 Tim. 2:16–18, 23–26.) He saw the time when the churches would become corrupted, “having a form of godliness; but denying the power thereof.” (2 Tim. 3:5.)

Jude (ca. A.D. 80)

By the time the epistle of Jude was written, the apostasy was well underway, as Jude’s words attest. He exhorted his readers to “earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.” (Jude 1:3.) As Elder James E. Talmage wrote, “It is plain that Jude considered ‘the faith which was once delivered unto the saints’ as in danger; and he urges the faithful to contend for it and openly defend it.” 16 A translation of the Greek original of verse 4 [Jude 1:4] shows the cause for Jude’s concern: “Certain people have infiltrated among you; and they are the ones you had a warning about, in writing, long ago.” 17

Jude continued by likening the apostates of his day to several from more ancient times. Among other charges with which he condemned them was the assertion that they “despise dominion and speak evil of dignities” (Jude 1:8), an overt act of rebellion similar to that described in 3 John [3 Jn.].

Near the end of the letter, Jude reminded the readers, “Remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ; how that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.” He emphasized that this day had now arrived: “These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit.” (Jude 1:17–19.) Elder Talmage commented, “clearly he is referring to the apostates of the time.” 18

Revelation (ca. A.D. 96)

In John’s apocalypse we find convincing evidence that apostasy was finally destroying the Church. The evidence is found in the messages to the seven churches of Asia in chapters 2 and 3.

To Ephesus the message contained both congratulations and condemnation. (Rev. 2:1–7.) The Ephesians had been successful in rejecting false apostles and other apostate influences, yet they had “fallen,” succumbing to certain evils. Without immediate repentance, John warned, they would be cast off by the Lord.

Similarly, the Saints at Pergamos were told that if they did not repent the Lord would destroy them quickly. (Rev. 2:12–17.) They were guilty of false religion, characterized as “the doctrine of Balaam,” the Old Testament prophet who led Israel into apostate worship.

To Thyatira the condemnation was of the same sort. (Rev. 2:18–29.) Though worthy of congratulation for good works, the Saints there were guilty of allowing a heretical movement referred to by the name Jezebel to “seduce” them into apostate practice. Jezebel was infamous for guiding Israel into the worship of false gods. Though challenged to repent before, those who had been seduced by the heresy had refused. Those who had not been tainted by the doctrine, who had “not known the depths of Satan,” were commanded to “hold fast” to what they had.

To Sardis the communication was somber: the church there was “ready to die.” (Rev. 3:1–6.) Only a few had not defiled themselves. If the rest did not repent, their names would be blotted out of “the book of life.”

Philadelphia received a more promising message. (Rev. 3:7–13.) It had a “little strength” left, and if it held fast, no one would take its crown.

The two remaining messages are those to Smyrna (Rev. 2:8–11) and Laodicea (Rev. 3:14–22). The Saints in Smyrna were praised, and no faults were mentioned concerning the church. But a tragic fate awaited them. They would be imprisoned and suffer martyrdom. They were admonished not to fear what was coming and to be “faithful unto death.” In so doing, they would receive a “crown of life” and would “not be hurt of the second death.” In contrast, the Lord’s word to Laodicea was that the church there was spiritually “wretched,” “miserable,” “poor,” “blind,” and “naked.” Because of its indifference to the things of God, he would spit it out of his mouth.

If the messages to the seven churches of Asia paint a fair picture of the overall status of early Christianity, one cannot avoid the conclusion that the prophecies of apostasy were then being fulfilled. Of the seven churches, only two were not condemned, and one of those was to suffer martyrdom. One church was ready to die because of its sins; another was to be spit out of God’s mouth. Of the rest, all were guilty of serious error, and each was told in strong terms that if it did not repent it would be rejected.

1 and 2 John (ca. A.D. 98)

John’s letters are the latest writings of the New Testament. The view that they provide of the Church at the end of the century is a tragic one. John told his readers that the last hours of the Church had come, as prophesied, and that the powers of apostasy were among them in force:

“Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.” (1 Jn. 2:18; italics added.) 19

Continuing, John stated that the antichrists had come from among the Saints: “They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us.” (1 Jn. 2:19.)

Later in his letter, John warned his readers further about apostate influences among them: “Many false prophets are gone out into the world.” (1 Jn. 4:1.) John clearly was writing about false prophets within Christianity. Recall that in his letter from Patmos to the Ephesians he made mention of false apostles who had been discovered and repelled. (Rev. 2:2.)

Next, John gave the means by which his readers could test a person or prophet to see if he were of God:

“Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

“And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.” (1 Jn. 4:2–3.)

The belief that Jesus had not really come in the flesh but had only appeared to do so is called docetism. 20 This belief was based on the gnostic view that it would be impossible for a divine being such as Christ to be associated with matter, since matter was evil. Docetism denied, therefore, the humanity of Christ, his physical suffering, his physical death, and his physical resurrection; he only seemed to have a physical body.

John denounced as deceivers and antichrist those “who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh” (see 1 Jn. 2:22–26; 2 Jn. 1:7) and pleaded with the Saints to hold fast to true doctrines: “Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father.” (1 Jn. 2:24.)

3 John (ca. A.D. 98)

John’s third letter focuses on apostasy. In it he made reference to one Diotrephes, a local Church leader who, as John put it, “loveth to have the preeminence” among the Saints. (3 Jn. 1:9.) In his capacity as an Apostle, John had written to him, but Diotrephes would not receive him. Neither would he receive “the brethren,” and he would not let his congregation do so either. In fact, he excommunicated those who would. (3 Jn. 1:10.)

This was apostasy by any definition. It was rebellion against divinely instituted authority. John promised to deal with the offending leader when he could, but if Diotrephes did not recognize John’s authority, no doubt he would not have responded to his discipline either. Hence, by the third generation of Christian history, not only doctrinal apostasy was taking place, but some were in open rebellion against priesthood authority. With their rejection of John, they severed the final legitimate link of doctrinal and priesthood authority between Christ and the church that bore his name.

Suggested Dates of the Letters Chronicling the Apostasy

1 and 2 Thessalonians

ca. A.D. 50–51

James

ca. mid-50s A.D.

1 Corinthians

ca. A.D. 56

2 Corinthians

ca. A.D. 57

Galatians

ca. A.D. 58

Colossians

ca. A.D. 61

1 Timothy, Titus

ca. A.D. 63

2 Timothy

ca. A.D. 67

Jude

ca. A.D. 80

Revelation

ca. A.D. 96

1–3 John

ca. A.D. 98

The End of the Apostolic Era

The New Testament does not preserve for us a complete history of the Christian church of the first century A.D. We possess in addition to the Gospels only the twenty-eight chapters of the book of Acts—most of which is not a history of the Church but a history of the career of one Apostle—and less than two dozen letters. These documents give us only a faint view of the seventy-year period which they span. There are major gaps in our knowledge of the activities of the Apostles, their lives, their teachings, and their deaths.

We do know that in the early years following the resurrection of Jesus the Apostles added additional members to their number as vacancies required. 21 Eventually, however, the succession ended. By A.D. 95 only John remained, as far as we know. When John left his public ministry, apostleship ceased. Had it been God’s will, others certainly could have been chosen. But clearly it was not. The apostasy did not happen because the Apostles were gone; the Apostles were taken because the apostasy had occurred. 22

When Jesus sent his Special Witnesses into the world, he commanded them to bear testimony of him. They did this in two significant ways. First, they traveled far, preaching the gospel and bearing witness of Jesus wherever they went. Second, they left their testimony in the form of the records that we call collectively the New Testament. This record, preserved for all generations, is the written testimony of those who were commissioned to be “witnesses unto [Christ] … unto the uttermost part of the earth” (Acts 1:8). The Apostles were kept on earth long enough to fulfill the divine command. They did not fail.

As we have seen, the Lord knew, and his Apostles knew, that the Saints would turn away from the true faith that had been taught to them. We have seen also that it happened—slowly at first, but with increasing speed in each succeeding decade. And, as we have seen, with the rejection of true religion came the rejection of true authority as well. Concerning this, Elder Mark E. Petersen stated, “But this all had been predicted. The Lord foresaw this apostasy. As he would not perform further miracles before the unbelievers at Capernaum, neither would he leave his anointed Twelve in an apostate group. So John was taken from among men.” 23

With the last Apostle gone from the church, the night of apostasy was upon it; and so it would remain until the dawn of another day—the day of the Restoration.

Gospel topics: apostasy, New Testament

Notes

1. See, for example, James E. Talmage, The Great Apostasy (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1909); The Articles of Faith (Salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1913), pp. 198–204.

2. Mark E. Petersen, in Conference Report, April 1979, pp. 29–30 (Ensign, May 1979, pp. 21–22); Which Church is Right? (Salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints), pp. 8–9; Hugh W. Nibley, “Christ Among the Ruins,” Ensign, July 1983, p. 16; Talmage, The Great Apostasy, pp. 44–47.

3. Talmage, The Great Apostasy, p. 27. In Joseph Smith—Matthew, the Prophet Joseph Smith reorganized Matthew 24, through revelation, to make the record of the Savior’s sermon more clear. Jesus answered the Apostles’ questions concerning the immediate future (JS—M 1:4–21) and also the time of his second coming (JS—M 1:21–55). See Bruce R. McConkie, Doctrinal New Testament Commentary (Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1973), 1:637–48.

4. McConkie, 1:641.

5. Heinrich Schlier, “Apostasia,” in Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, ed. G. Kittel (Grand Rapids, Michigan: Eerdmans, 1964), 1:513–14; F. F. Bruce, 1 and 2 Thessalonians, Word Biblical Commentary, 45 (Waco, Texas: Word Books, 1982), p. 166.

6. Sydney B. Sperry, “New Light on the Great Apostasy,” The Improvement Era, Sept. 1950, pp. 750–51.

7. See, for example, McConkie, 3:63; Sperry, Paul’s Life and Letters (Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1955), p. 103.

8. Talmage, The Great Apostasy, pp. 28, 37.

9. “What the Apostle [John, in 1 Jn. 2:18] in effect did mean is simply this: The end of the Church with inspired Apostles, prophets, and teachers leading, guiding, and directing the faithful is at hand. The time predicted by Christ and his Apostles respecting an apostasy and overthrow of the Church is upon us.” (Sperry, “New Light,” p. 711; cf. also pp. 744, 746–51.) Talmage, The Great Apostasy, p. 37.

10. An argument for gnosticism in first-century Christianity is found in R. M. Wilson, Gnosis and the New Testament (Philadelphia: Fortress Press, 1968), pp. 31–84.

11. McConkie, 3:25–26; 29–30.

12. See, for example, Irenaeus, Against Heresies; Clement of Alexandria, The Stromata, or Miscellanies; Tertullian, Against Marcion 1–5, Against Valentinius, Prescription of Heresies, Scorpiace. All of these are available in The Ante-Nicene Fathers, eds. A. Roberts and J. Donaldson (Grand Rapids, Michigan: Eerdmans, 1953), I–III.

13. 1 Tim. 6:20; literal Greek translation in footnote 20b in the LDS publication of the Holy Bible, italics added. See Richard L. Anderson, Understanding Paul (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1983), p. 318.

14. Irenaeus, Against Heresies, 1.24.3–4.

15. Anderson, Understanding Paul, pp. 320–21; Wilson, pp. 41–43; A. T. Hanson, The Pastoral Epistles (Grand Rapids, Michigan: Eerdmans, 1982); J. N. D. Kelly, The Pastoral Epistles: Timothy I & II, Titus (New York: Harper and Row, 1963).

16. Talmage, The Great Apostasy, p. 44.

17. Jerusalem Bible, Jude 1:4; cf. Anderson, Guide, chap. 24.

18. Talmage, The Great Apostasy, p. 44.

19. Talmage, The Great Apostasy, p. 37; Anderson, “Clement, Ignatius, and Polycarp,” Ensign, Aug. 1976, p. 55; Sperry, “New Light,” p. 711.

20. Anderson, “Clement, Ignatius, and Polycarp,” p. 53; F. F. Bruce, The Epistles of John (Grand Rapids, Michigan: Eerdmans, 1970), pp. 15–18, 104–5. For a brief survey of interpretations, see I. Howard Marshall, The Epistles of John, The New International Commentary on the New Testament (Grand Rapids, Michigan: Eerdmans, 1978), pp. 14–22.

21. We know of the calling of the following Apostles, in addition to the original twelve: Matthias (Acts 1:21–26), James (see Acts 12:17; Acts 15; Gal. 1:19), Paul (Acts 14:14), and Barnabas (Acts 14:14).

22. Petersen, Which Church is Right? pp. 8–9.

23. Petersen, Which Church is Right? p. 9. “Then the Lord took John out of the ministry. Nothing is heard of him after about the year A.D. 101.”(p. 8.)

[illustrations] Illustrated by Robert Barrett

D&C 76:31. To What Extent Must a Person Know God’s Power and Be a Partaker Before He Becomes a Son of Perdition?

To become a son of perdition one must sin against the Holy Ghost, but before that is possible, one must receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. Elder Melvin J. Ballard explained that “unto the Holy Ghost has been given the right and the privilege of manifesting the truth unto men as no other power will. So that when he makes a man see and know a thing he knows it better than he shall ever know anything else; and to sin against that knowledge is to sin against the greatest light there is, and consequently commit the greatest sin there is.” (Millennial Star, 11 Aug. 1932, pp. 499–500.)

Elder Joseph Fielding Smith further explained why sin against the Holy Ghost is so serious: “The Spirit of God speaking to the spirit of man has power to impart truth with greater effect and understanding than the truth can be imparted by personal contact even with heavenly beings. Through the Holy Ghost the truth is woven into the very fibre and sinews of the body so that it cannot be forgotten.” (“The Sin against the Holy Ghost,” Instructor, Oct. 1935, p. 431.)

The Prophet Joseph Smith asked, concerning those who become sons of perdition, “What must a man do to commit the unpardonable sin? He must receive the Holy Ghost, have the heavens opened unto him, and know God, and then sin against Him. After a man has sinned against the Holy Ghost, there is no repentance for him. He has got to say that the sun does not shine while he sees it; he has got to deny Jesus Christ when the heavens have been opened unto him, and to deny the plan of salvation with his eyes open to the truth of it; and from that time he begins to be an enemy. This is the case with many apostates of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.” (Teachings, p. 358.)

Elder Spencer W. Kimball wrote: “The sin against the Holy Ghost requires such knowledge that it is manifestly impossible for the rank and file to commit such a sin” (Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 123).

Of apostates who had committed the unpardonable sin, the Prophet Joseph Smith said: “When a man begins to be an enemy to this work, he hunts me, he seeks to kill me, and never ceases to thirst for my blood. He gets the spirit of the devil—the same spirit that they had who crucified the Lord of Life—the same spirit that sins against the Holy Ghost.” (Teachings, p. 358.)

People do not come to such a state in a moment. Elder Joseph Fielding Smith described the path that some follow, which would cause them to hate God and his servants: “The change of heart does not come all at once, but is due to transgression in some form, which continues to lurk in the soul without repentance, until the Holy Ghost withdraws, and then that man is left to spiritual darkness. Sin begets sin, the darkness grows until the love of truth turns to hatred and the love of God is overcome by the wicked desire to destroy all that is just and true. In this way Christ is put to open shame, and blasphemy exalted.” (Instructor, Oct. 1935, p. 432.)

Such people have placed themselves outside the redemptive powers of Christ (see Hebrews 6:4–9; 10:26–29; Matthew 12:31–32). They cannot partake of His mercy because they cannot incline themselves to repent, having totally lost the Spirit of God. Their sin “is an offense so heinous that the sinner is unable to repent; and this is what makes his case hopeless. If he could repent, he could be forgiven; but being incapable of repentance, he cannot be reached by the pardoning power.” (Orson F. Whitney, Improvement Era, Mar. 1920, p. 413.)

“In the realms of perdition or the kingdom of darkness, where there is no light, Satan and the unembodied spirits of the pre-existence shall dwell together with those of mortality who retrogress to the level of perdition. These have lost the power of regeneration. They have sunk so low as to have lost the inclinations and ability to repent.” (Kimball, Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 125.)

D&C 76:35. How Might Anyone “Crucify” the Only Begotten Son of the Father and “Put Him to an Open Shame”?

Elder Bruce R. McConkie stated that “commission of the unpardonable sin consists in crucifying unto oneself the Son of God afresh and putting him to open shame. (Heb. 6:4–8; D. & C. 76:34–35.) To commit this unpardonable crime a man must receive the gospel, gain from the Holy Ghost by revelation the absolute knowledge of the divinity of Christ, and then deny ‘the new and everlasting covenant by which he was sanctified, calling it an unholy thing, and doing despite to the Spirit of grace.’ (Teachings, p. 128.) He thereby commits murder by assenting unto the Lord’s death, that is, having a perfect knowledge of the truth he comes out in open rebellion and places himself in a position wherein he would have crucified Christ knowing perfectly the while that he was the Son of God. Christ is thus crucified afresh and put to open shame. (D. & C. 132:27.)” (Mormon Doctrine, pp. 816–17.)

Concerning the degree to which such people become filled with the spirit of Satan, Elder Charles W. Penrose said: “Those who have followed [satan] so that they become imbued with his spirit, which is the spirit of destruction, in opposition to the spirit which brings life, are his. The spirit of murder enters their hearts; they are ready to put to death even the Son of God, if His existence in life comes in their way.” (In Conference Report, Oct. 1911, p. 51.)

The scriptures sometimes use the phrase “shedding innocent blood” in reference to the actions of those in this condition. President Joseph Fielding Smith explained that the shedding of innocent blood is not confined to taking lives of the innocent, but is also included in seeking to destroy the word of God and putting Christ to open shame. Those who have known the truth and then fight against the authorized servants of Jesus Christ also fight against Him, and thus are guilty of His blood. “Shedding innocent blood is spoken of in the scriptures as consenting to the death of Jesus Christ and putting him to open shame.” (Smith, Answers to Gospel Questions, 1:68.)

D&C 76:44–49. It Is Futile to Discuss the Fate of Sons of Perdition

It appears that in the early days of the Restoration some attempted to teach the destiny of the sons of perdition. The Prophet Joseph Smith responded by writing: “Say to the brothers Hulet and to all others, that the Lord never authorized them to say that the devil, his angels, or the sons of perdition, should ever be restored; for their state of destiny was not revealed to man, is not revealed, nor ever shall be revealed, save to those who are made partakers thereof: consequently those who teach this doctrine have not received it of the Spirit of the Lord. Truly Brother Oliver declared it to be the doctrine of devils. We, therefore, command that this doctrine be taught no more in Zion. We sanction the decision of the Bishop and his council, in relation to this doctrine being a bar to communion.” (Teachings, p. 24.)

Please read the book called The Miracle of forgiveness by spencer w kimball chapter 9

also i have asked my bishop in the past and Only Apostles of God can only deny the Holy ghost

also we should leave the Jugdement in the hands of god!!!

Very good work, Nicole. I appreciate all your efforts to share that.

I would like to add one more thought to what you said, though.

It always helps me to put my thoughts in my own words. :)

Anyone can deny the Holy Ghost (or the testimony the Holy Ghost can give them) and then after denying, Repent, but those who do NOT and NEVER do repent are those who will NOT be forgiven.

Or in other words, just like Peter, who, after denying the testimony of the Holy Ghost who was sent by our Father to bear witness of the truth, and who then chose to truly repent after he denied what he knew to be true through the power of the Holy Ghost, we can also choose to repent after denying the Holy Ghost... but if we don't repent we won't be forgiven.

And yes, I know that's as clear as a muddle puddle, but the truth is really in there somewhere. ;)

Guest ApostleKnight

Good sources Nicole.

Ray has defined the sin against the Holy Ghost as simple murder of another "innocent mortal," and done so in the past as well, even though I provided similar references to those you cited. He doesn't get that those who sin against the Holy Ghost are Sons of Perdition, doomed to outer darkness, not just the telestial kingdom. King David was a murderer, yet he won't be cast into outer darkness.

There's a differentiation between "innocent blood" meaning an innocent mortal like you and I, and "innocent blood" referring to Christ's crucifixion.

Oh well, you tried Nicole.

Good sources Nicole.

Ray has defined the sin against the Holy Ghost as simple murder of another "innocent mortal, and done so in the past as well, even though I provided similar references to those you cited. "

Wrong. I have said that murdering an innocent person is one form, or one way, to sin against the Holy Ghost. I did not say that is the only way to commit that sin, because that is not what I know to be true.

He doesn't get that those who sin against the Holy Ghost are Sons of Perdition, doomed to outer darkness, not just the telestial kingdom.

Yes, I do get that, AK. You simply did not get me.

King David was a murderer, yet he won't be cast into outer darkness.

I agree with that, almost. I just would not call him a murderer. And yes, I know he murdered, but a murderer implies more. At least to me. But that's just my view, a technicality.

There's a differentiation between "innocent blood" meaning an innocent mortal like you and I, and "innocent blood" referring to Christ's crucifixion.

Heh, I don't think so. And yes I do know He was innocent in a way that we're not. But "innocent blood" to me simply refers to someone who didn't, or who doesn't deserve to die... in a particular situation in which they have not committed any offense... an offense that would justify the taking of another life... when there is no "good" reason to kill them.

Oh well, you tried Nicole.

Yes, and she tried very well. I often think women have some form of the priesthood. Some know a lot more than some men. :)

<div class='quotemain'>

I actually fully agree, with both of you.

The problem i have is being mocked or looked down on and told that all my insight is from satan, when i use the exact same methods as LDS do to find truth and verification. It's all circular logic on both sides, but people constantly ask me how i can be so lost or so close and still miss it, and how i'm just not good enough cause I'm not LDS. This seems so far off the 11th article, but most members swear it's not. The only points i wished to make is 1) the lack of respect for one non-member and the slight willingness to address another one. 2) was why is it okay to be asked this sort of question repeatedly by LDS members, but not ask it back?

hay soul You are Good enough dont let anyone tell you are Not!!

Except for God, of course. Right, Nicole?

We should all be better, the best we can be, and to know how to improve, we ask God.

And we should listen to ALL people when we know God inspires them to share what we know is true. :)

Hay guys!!

thanks for being kind to me :wub:

Oh about putting my own thoughts in its about 1am here am in england and it took me 2 hours to get all the info :blush:

and i only take from the Doctrine as that is the only truth!! :wub: i know of many bishops that have said over and over that Only Apostles of god can Deny the holy ghost you cant let your thoughts on it over ride the True Doctrine of god Oh am only talking about when someone Deny the holy ghost with the words only!

am Not talking about people killing here!!

take care Nicole :sparklygrin:

and oh i cant spell aswell and it would take me 2 days to do it lol

well i will let God Jugde on all matters and we shouldnt worry about all this

all you all need to do is follow the lord in all things and everything will be ok!!

he said that it would never be easy but it would be worth it !!! :wub:

take care Nicole :sparklygrin:

Hello all,

Brother AK, long time no c. Hope all is manageable in your life right now. Are you all talking about "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" or something else? I've never read or heard about murder being "sin against the Holy Ghost." I thought blasphemy against the H.S. was attributing sinfulness to the Holy Sprit-not murdering.

Ray,

When you gave the example of Peter sinning against the Holy Ghost-can you give me an example please? I know he denied Jesus 3 times is that was you are talking about?

Thank you all,

Dr. T

Guest ApostleKnight

Brother AK, long time no c. Hope all is manageable in your life right now.

Thanks Dr. T, I'm pluggin' along.

I've never read or heard about murder being "sin against the Holy Ghost."

That's what Ray was saying. I was saying that murdering someone else is NOT the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost for which there can be no forgiveness. I was agreeing with Nicole's copious quotes which explain that denying and persecuting God, Christ and the truth after having basically seen God face to face is blasphemy against the Holy Ghost wherein we "shed innocent blood," referring to those who knew Jesus was the Messiah when they had him crucified anyway. If we persecute that which we know to be true (and I'm talking more than a burning bosom witness here), i.e. Jesus and his gospel, we're no better than those who had Christ crucified, hence it's as if we "crucify Christ afresh."

I do not believe simply murdering someone is an unforgivable sin...or more specifically, I don't believe murderers will go to outer darkness (an LDS concept that equates to the traditional "Hell" of other religions).

murderers will go to outer darkness (an LDS concept that equates to the traditional "Hell" of other religions).

In my 39 years in the Church I have never heard that as an LDS Concept. Murder's , IF they repent, will be forgiven. That is what has always been taught.

I do not believe simply murdering someone is an unforgivable sin...or more specifically, I don't believe murderers will go to outer darkness (an LDS concept that equates to the traditional "Hell" of other religions).

I think you have to remember that because of the Atonement Christ suffered all things for us so that we have the opportunity to repent and be forgiven for all things....But, the key here is repentance... I have always been taught by the church that repentance is more than just a sincere sorrow for our sin and a complete change of heart to never commit the sin again....but it also means we must make a restitution for our sin against another...if we steal something it must be returned, if we bare false witness against someone we must admit or sin and straighten it out to all parties....etc., but I was specifically told by my Bishop and different Missionaries and members of the church that if you murder someone it is very difficult to repent for that sin because you can't get their life back....not impossible, but very very difficult.....think about it!

Guest ApostleKnight

<div class='quotemain'>

murderers will go to outer darkness (an LDS concept that equates to the traditional "Hell" of other religions).

In my 39 years in the Church I have never heard that as an LDS Concept. Murder's , IF they repent, will be forgiven. That is what has always been taught.

Neither have I. I hope you weren't quoting that fragment of my sentence to show that I believe murderers will go to outer darkness?

Brother Dorsey...I understand the logic in giving back to somebody something that you've stolen from them, if it's still around to be returned, or issuing a statement that the things you've previously said about somebody were untrue in order to recompense...however, doesn't this seem a little too like the old 'an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth' doctrine that Jesus came to dispel of?

I know it is impossible for a murderer to give somebody their life back, however if the murderer is totally repentant, there are other ways in which he/she could devote the remainder of their own life in doing service for others, such as working in underdeveloped countries with the sick/poverty stricken communities, which would be some sort of pay back? Do you think that God would consider this as an option for those people or still require their death in return for the murder/s they've committed? (Btw, I do realise that this sort of solution would not be possible for some kinds of murderers or for those who have not repented, so I'm not suggesting that all murderers be freed and sent to work in humanitarian causes, or that they do so without being supervised at all times).

<div class='quotemain'>

You used to hear it in the old days - 30+ years ago before Church doctrine was "coordinated" and different Mormons in different areas and times understood things differently from one another. Now that the Church wants everyone to believe the same things, we've lost all that variety.

Dr. T. - Ray,

When you gave the example of Peter sinning against the Holy Ghost-can you give me an example please? I know he denied Jesus 3 times is that was you are talking about?

Yes, that is the example that I was talking about, but Peter did not only deny Jesus. Our Father in heaven had sent the Holy Ghost to Peter and told him who Jesus really was, and Peter then accepted that but then later denied that truth when he said something like:

“No, I wasn’t with Him, I don’t know Him

And we do know our Lord forgave him, because he truly repented from that sin. He no longer denied who Jesus really was, and he told everybody that he could. :)

Dr. T. - "I've never read or heard about murder being "sin against the Holy Ghost."

ApostleKnight: That's what Ray was saying…

Yes, that is what I was saying. Thank you for getting that right. Murdering someone (intentionally murdering an innocent person, or in other words, murdering a person when there is no good reason to kill that person) is one way to sin against the Holy Ghost, because the Holy Ghost is always there to tell that person something like: "No! That is WRONG! Don't do that!!!"

And that is what I am still saying.

ApostleKnight: I was saying that murdering someone else is NOT the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost for which there can be no forgiveness. I was agreeing with Nicole's copious quotes which explain…

Heh, you think you agree with Nicole’s quotes???

Would you like me to share what I think about that???

Good. Thank you. (If not, I’m doing it anyway)

… to become a son of perdition one must sin against the Holy Ghost, but before that is possible, one must receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. Elder Melvin J. Ballard explained that “unto the Holy Ghost has been given the right and the privilege of manifesting the truth unto men as no other power will. So that when he makes a man see and know a thing he knows it better than he shall ever know anything else; and to sin against that knowledge is to sin against the greatest light there is, and consequently commit the greatest sin there is.” (Millennial Star, 11 Aug. 1932, pp. 499–500.)

Does everyone hear what Elder Ballard is saying?

Or in other words, Elder Ballard, an apostle of our Lord Jesus Christ, is saying that the Holy Ghost has been given the right and privilege of manifesting the truth unto men (all men) as no other power will, and that when the Holy Ghost makes a man see and know a thing, that man knows it (that truth) better than he shall ever know anything else; and to sin against that knowledge is to sin against the greatest light there is, and consequently commit the greatest sin there is.

Or in other words, sinning against the Holy Ghost is to deny the knowledge He gives you, personally, and that when you deny that knowledge there is no way you can be forgiven…. unless of course you repent and accept that knowledge, when you then would not be denying it, or Him.

Does anyone have a problem with that?

Good. (And I really don’t care if you do)

I’ll go on now with some other of her quotes.

Elder Joseph Fielding Smith further explained why sin against the Holy Ghost is so serious: “The Spirit of God speaking to the spirit of man has power to impart truth with greater effect and understanding than the truth can be imparted by personal contact even with heavenly beings. Through the Holy Ghost the truth is woven into the very fibre and sinews of the body so that it cannot be forgotten.” (“The Sin against the Holy Ghost,” Instructor, Oct. 1935, p. 431.)

Just another testimony about how it “feels” to receive a testimony from the Holy Ghost.

The Prophet Joseph Smith asked, concerning those who become sons of perdition, “What must a man do to commit the unpardonable sin? He must receive the Holy Ghost, have the heavens opened unto him, and know God, and then sin against Him. After a man has sinned against the Holy Ghost, there is no repentance for him. He has got to say that the sun does not shine while he sees it; he has got to deny Jesus Christ when the heavens have been opened unto him, and to deny the plan of salvation with his eyes open to the truth of it; and from that time he begins to be an enemy. This is the case with many apostates of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.” (Teachings, p. 358.)

Or in other words, as some examples of how it is when a man sins against the Holy Ghost, after a man has sinned against the Holy Ghost, (example 1) he would have to say the sun doesn’t shine even though he can in fact see it, (example 2) he would have to deny Jesus Christ (who Jesus Christ truly is) when the heavens have been opened unto him to declare the truth of who Jesus Christ truly is, and (example 3) he would have to deny the plan of salvation with his eyes open to the truth of it, and “from that time he begins to be an enemy (to the truth). This is the case with many apostates of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.”

Elder Spencer W. Kimball wrote: “The sin against the Holy Ghost requires such knowledge that it is manifestly impossible for the rank and file to commit such a sin” (Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 123).

I believe President Kimball was referring to the rank and file people in this world, or those who have become members of the Church in Church records of membership only without actually receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost… as they (and we) have been told to do.

Of apostates who had committed the unpardonable sin, the Prophet Joseph Smith said: “When a man begins to be an enemy to this work, he hunts me, he seeks to kill me, and never ceases to thirst for my blood. He gets the spirit of the devil—the same spirit that they had who crucified the Lord of Life—the same spirit that sins against the Holy Ghost.” (Teachings, p. 358.)

Or in other words, when a person commits the unpardonable sin, the sin of sinning against knowledge that person has received through the power of the Holy Ghost, that person will do those things just mentioned, and if left unchecked or not repented of that person may continue to go down the wrong path and develop a lust for all that is evil... or he may just never accept what he was told by God.

People do not come to such a state in a moment. Elder Joseph Fielding Smith described the path that some follow, which would cause them to hate God and his servants: “The change of heart does not come all at once, but is due to transgression in some form, which continues to lurk in the soul without repentance, until the Holy Ghost withdraws, and then that man is left to spiritual darkness. Sin begets sin, the darkness grows until the love of truth turns to hatred and the love of God is overcome by the wicked desire to destroy all that is just and true. In this way Christ is put to open shame, and blasphemy exalted.” (Instructor, Oct. 1935, p. 432.)

Or in other words, a person doesn’t instantaneously become the most evil person in the world immediately after denying a testimony from the Holy Ghost, but that may eventually happen if that person who denied Him once continues to deny Him because they will never truly know, or accept, what is true.

Such people have placed themselves outside the redemptive powers of Christ (see Hebrews 6:4–9; 10:26–29; Matthew 12:31–32). They cannot partake of His mercy because they cannot incline themselves to repent, having totally lost the Spirit of God. Their sin “is an offense so heinous that the sinner is unable to repent; and this is what makes his case hopeless. If he could repent, he could be forgiven; but being incapable of repentance, he cannot be reached by the pardoning power.” (Orson F. Whitney, Improvement Era, Mar. 1920, p. 413.)

Incapable of repentance in the sense that that person just simply can’t do it, because he has already become so wicked that his love for wickedness overrides his desire to accept and acknowledge the truth which can lead to every good thing.

And btw, I’ve seen people like this too. They actually laugh if you suggest they should repent.

“In the realms of perdition or the kingdom of darkness, where there is no light, Satan and the unembodied spirits of the pre-existence shall dwell together with those of mortality who retrogress to the level of perdition. These have lost the power of regeneration. They have sunk so low as to have lost the inclinations and ability to repent.” (Kimball, Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 125.)

… and they don’t even want to repent. To them that idea is totally ridiculous.

…Elder Bruce R. McConkie stated that “commission of the unpardonable sin consists in crucifying unto oneself the Son of God afresh and putting him to open shame. (Heb. 6:4–8; D. & C. 76:34–35.) To commit this unpardonable crime a man must receive the gospel, gain from the Holy Ghost by revelation the absolute knowledge of the divinity of Christ, and then deny ‘the new and everlasting covenant by which he was sanctified, calling it an unholy thing, and doing despite to the Spirit of grace.’ (Teachings, p. 128.) He thereby commits murder by assenting unto the Lord’s death, that is, having a perfect knowledge of the truth he comes out in open rebellion and places himself in a position wherein he would have crucified Christ knowing perfectly the while that he was the Son of God. Christ is thus crucified afresh and put to open shame. (D. & C. 132:27.)” (Mormon Doctrine, pp. 816–17.)

This is simply a rehash of what the others have said, and this time it is Elder McConkie who is giving his testimony.

Concerning the degree to which such people become filled with the spirit of Satan, Elder Charles W. Penrose said: “Those who have followed [satan] so that they become imbued with his spirit, which is the spirit of destruction, in opposition to the spirit which brings life, are his. The spirit of murder enters their hearts; they are ready to put to death even the Son of God, if His existence in life comes in their way.” (In Conference Report, Oct. 1911, p. 51.)

This is simply another rehash of what the others have said, and this time it is Elder Penrose who is giving his testimony.

The scriptures sometimes use the phrase “shedding innocent blood” in reference to the actions of those in this condition. President Joseph Fielding Smith explained that the shedding of innocent blood is not confined to taking lives of the innocent, but is also included in seeking to destroy the word of God and putting Christ to open shame. Those who have known the truth and then fight against the authorized servants of Jesus Christ also fight against Him, and thus are guilty of His blood. “Shedding innocent blood is spoken of in the scriptures as consenting to the death of Jesus Christ and putting him to open shame.” (Smith, Answers to Gospel Questions, 1:68.)

This quote, along with being another rehash of what the others have said, with this time it being President Joseph Fielding Smith who is giving his testimony, includes some thoughts which can help us all to understand that murdering innocent people is not the only way a person can sin against the Holy Ghost, because a person can also sin against the Holy Ghost by seeking to destroy the word of God (which declares what God knows to be true) and putting Christ (and all that He stands for) to an open shame (in that they know the truth but deny it anyway because they cannot stand what is true).

Okay. Class is over. I just heard the bell ring.

Please go home and study these words. You will be tested at some point in your life.

And I know HOW to know ALL things that are true, and I know I have told all of you. :)

Hello Ray,

Maybe we can start by defining terms. What do you take “blasphemy” to mean?

While you are looking that up let me just not that we see an example of what we are talking about in Luke 12:7-11. In that example, it seems to be related to something specifically “verbal.” Looking at that in context, it is the sin of saying that “Jesus Christ is of the devil.” But if the Holy Spirit has borne witness to a person that Jesus is indeed the Son of God, and that person curses Him, it cannot be forgiven. That is what it is talking about. Not murder, sir. Wait, is school still out?

Thanks,

Dr. T