What's the best OTC pain medication?

classylady

Chiropractors are amazing (if you have the right one). Do you homework. Annewandering is right about the ruptured disk, but a good Chirporactor will take xrays or do some sort of imaging.

Also, strengthening your core muscles will help relieve the back pain. The core muscles support our back. If they are weak then the movements you describe will make the pain bad.

NSAIDS like Advil or Aleve work sometimes. If the muscles are spasming then something like Doan's. But...check with your doctor before taking OTCs. They all have side effects.

I think I need to strengthen my core muscles. During the summer I had a fall which hurt my knee and jarred my hip. I had excruciating muscle spasms--dh had to practically carry me to the car to get me to the doctor. Doctor prescribed Lortab and a muscle relaxer. I was practically bedridden for a month. So, I think my muscles were weakened by the lack of activity. The doctor told me it could take up to three months to heal. And it actually did take that long. So, I'm just now getting up to speed and doing everything that I used to, and my back is screaming at me in pain when I do a lot of bending, etc.

I really appreciate everyone's advice. If anyone else has ideas, please share. Thanks!

Edited by classylady
clarification

When I hurt my leg, the only OTC pain relief that worked for me was codeine, although it's supposed to only be used for a short period. I usually stick to Ibuprofen if I need something, but with my leg nothing else worked.

I really need new glasses or something. At first I read cocaine instead of codeine. :lol:

It is easy to see why people in pain get addicted to pain meds.

Yes. I agree. When I had my fall, even the Lortab didn't completely take away the pain. I remember thinking, "All I want is for this pain to go away". I couldn't sleep, couldn't walk, couldn't do much of anything without the pain incapacitating me. I also took ibuprofen. I actually ended up taking too much. I knew I had over done it with the ibuprofen when I tried to drink a soda, and it just burned going down. So, then I stopped taking the ibuprofen. I think I had a reaction to going off it, because I was vomiting--seemed endless to me. And, I hardly ever have to vomit. It had been years since I was sick enough to actually "puke". I know it's not a nice thing to think about, but I don't know how to sugar-coat it. It certainly scared my 20 year old daughter who happened to be taking care of me that day. I don't think she'd ever seen me sick like that before. She was glad when my dh got home from work and could take over.

People with chronic pain have my deepest sympathy. I only had chronic pain for a little over a month, and I did not deal with it very well. Now, with my back, it's only occasionally that I get pain, and I hate it. I can see how they would get addicted to pain meds. It is heaven to finally be free of pain.

I think I need to strengthen my core muscles. During the summer I had a fall which hurt my knee and jarred my hip. I had excruciating muscle spasms--dh had to practically carry me to the car to get me to the doctor. Doctor prescribed Lortab and a muscle relaxer. I was practically bedridden for a month. So, I think my muscles were weakened by the lack of activity. The doctor told me it could take up to three months to heal. And it actually did take that long. So, I'm just now getting up to speed and doing everything that I used to, and my back is screaming at me in pain when I do a lot of bending, etc.

I really appreciate everyone's advice. If anyone else has ideas, please share. Thanks!

I'm so sorry to hear about the fall. Those kinds of injuries can have an accumlative affect. I'm so glad you're feeling better.

I hope you'll be able to get back on top of the back pain soon.

This might be for another thread but there is a big difference between addiction and dependency.

I am dependent on my pills. I am not addicted to them. But it would be easy to be addicted if I used any pills that could become addictive.

Dependent would be taking meds to have a reasonable life but you can stop taking them without cravings for them. Might die but no cravings. lol.

I am dependent on my pills. I am not addicted to them. But it would be easy to be addicted if I used any pills that could become addictive.

Dependent would be taking meds to have a reasonable life but you can stop taking them without cravings for them. Might die but no cravings. lol.

I am dependent on my meds. Without them the pain is not even close to tolerable. With them,there is still constant pain. If I were to stop ... yes there would be withdrawal... but there wouldn't be drug seeking behaviors which are the symptoms that makes the difference between addiction and dependence. I wouldn't sell the fridge to buy drugs. :D

My 20 year old daughter has fibromyalgia. Also, my daughter that died in a car accident did too. My daughter's pain is never ending. With my daughter that died, her symptoms of fibromyalgia lessened when she was pregnant, and then came back after the birth of her baby. I truly wish there was something that would help. My 20 year old has switched to so many different prescriptions for her pain. Nothing helps completely. The prescriptions that she takes lessens the pain, but doesn't take it away. And she always seems to have adverse reactions to the medications--vomiting, brain fog, upset stomach, etc. I always pray that eventually there will be a safe medication out there that will help. She and her husband want to have a baby, and she's worried about going off the pain meds. Good health is truly a blessing.

I am sorry to hear that Classy Lady. Mine is not nearly as bad as many are but it is an ongoing lack of fun. I do get some relief from cymbalta and ibuprophen. Sometimes the meds that can help have such nasty side effects it is a very hard decision to take them. I tried metatraxate, lol I cant spell it, which is used a lot but didnt do me much good and it can be really nasty on side effects.

I am like you on the meds. Someday there might be some better meds for it. Right now so many do not even believe its real so dont even take it seriously.

My 20 year old daughter has fibromyalgia. Also, my daughter that died in a car accident did too. My daughter's pain is never ending. With my daughter that died, her symptoms of fibromyalgia lessened when she was pregnant, and then came back after the birth of her baby. I truly wish there was something that would help. My 20 year old has switched to so many different prescriptions for her pain. Nothing helps completely. The prescriptions that she takes lessens the pain, but doesn't take it away. And she always seems to have adverse reactions to the medications--vomiting, brain fog, upset stomach, etc. I always pray that eventually there will be a safe medication out there that will help. She and her husband want to have a baby, and she's worried about going off the pain meds. Good health is truly a blessing.

I was 30 when I developed FMS. My youngest wasn't quite a year old. The goal will never be to be pain free until they figure out what causes Fibromyalgia and then develop a cure. I do not think researchers are even close so it won't happen in my lifetime. I'm on year 24 with FMS now. I have been researching and talking to others who are researching for over 16 years. I have some ideas but they aren't even close to the direction research is going.

I'm sorry both your daughters have had to deal with this. Its not uncommon for symptoms to lessen during pregnancy. That is one of the reasons there has been several studies regarding Human Growth Hormone and FMS.

There is a life with FMS. It requires daily management. The right meds make a big difference. I was never successful on the antidepressants for pain. Not only did they not work for pain after six years of trying a lot of them I truly was depressed where I wasn't before.

My attitude is this: I'm going to hurt. I can be happy and hurt or I can be depressed and hurt. Its easier and better to be happy. Being happy makes hurting easier to cope with. Pain alone does not cause depression. Our attitude about it does.

It has taken me a long time but I'm grateful for FMS (even on the really bad days). Without the pain I would not have the relationship with my Savior that I have today.