Anyone Know a Good Book About Jesus?

Just_A_Guy

So, my wife's asked for a copy of Jesus the Christ for Christmas. Amazing book; but I understand Elder Talmage was drawing on early 20th century scholarship regarding Jewish customs and archaeology. So before I go out and buy a copy, I was wondering whether anyone might have anything else to recommend that's similar to JTC but maybe a little more current from a scholarly standpoint?

Besides the Gospels, written decades and decades after Jesus' death by people that had never met him, a few passages in the Epistles, also by someone who never met him, and a few late, lines from historians, there's isn't anything. If you are looking for something historical, there's not much to work with.

I love Jesus the Christ. But if anyone can find a scholary work just as good... maureen, I'm going to check out your recommendation.

I suggest that Maureen isn't recommending the book because it's good... she hasn't read it, but rather because it was written by someone who has been highly critical of the LDS Church... in a book he wrote negatively about the Church's founding, surreptitiously, while in the Church's employ.

So, my wife's asked for a copy of Jesus the Christ for Christmas. Amazing book; but I understand Elder Talmage was drawing on early 20th century scholarship regarding Jewish customs and archaeology. So before I go out and buy a copy, I was wondering whether anyone might have anything else to recommend that's similar to JTC but maybe a little more current from a scholarly standpoint?

Hey - I thought of a book that I really enjoyed.

What Jesus Meant by Garry Wills.

It's short, inexpensive and written by one of Catholicism's leading scholars. Refreshing to get a different perspective.

I suggest that Maureen isn't recommending the book because it's good... she hasn't read it, but rather because it was written by someone who has been highly critical of the LDS Church... in a book he wrote negatively about the Church's founding, surreptitiously, while in the Church's employ.

I'm recommending it because it's the first book I thought of where Christ is the subject. I like Grant Palmer, so I have no reason to think his book might be dangerous.

M.

I'm recommending it because it's the first book I thought of where Christ is the subject. I like Grant Palmer, so I have no reason to think his book might be dangerous.

M.

I don't think he is dangerous. I don't care if he is critical of the Church. It's the way he went about it - secretly, while employed by the Church. I had a chance to spend time with him several years ago and was disappointed that, it seemed to me, he had one set of critical standards that he applied to the modern Church that he did not apply to the ancient Church.

He couldn't have been too secretive about it, since Deseret Books carried Insiders View of Mormon Origins for two years before the Church even took notice.

M.

Okay - what knowledge do you have that his writing and perspective was known to the Church, while he was writing it... or are you blindly speculating?

So, I'm curious Maureen. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of books about Jesus. How is it that out the thousands, you happened to suggest one, which you haven't read, written by someone critical of the Church, instead of one you have read or which wasn't written by a critic?

We (Community of Christ congregational leaders in Northeast/midwest US will be studying Jesus: Uncovering the Life, Teachings, and Relevance of a Religious Revolutionary by Marcus J. Borg . Class is in January and I need to get started on the book!

Amazon.com: Jesus: Uncovering the Life, Teachings, and Relevance of a Religious Revolutionary (9780060594459): Marcus J. Borg: Books

Well, something interesting concerning the book Jesus the Christ happened to me recently. I pointed out to someone at the library I work at that the Mormon doctrine collection of our religion section contained 2 BOMs and 4 or 5 anti-mormon books. So, they asked me for a list of books I would like to have added to the section....hhhmmmm. Well, I wasn't sure, so I asked the missionaries, my husband, the bishop, and they all said the the same book as #1, Jesus the Christ. Answered that question for me. They ordered that one and about 5 others, two or three were written by Talmage. I sent an investigator to that section and she is reading Jesus the Christ right now.

I've read it, and I don't think it is outdated at all.

The Bruce R McConkie series is just superb - just be ready for a heavy but interesting and gripping read!

Am on with the Millennial Messiah, the last of the series of 6 books

To be honest, the scholarship isn't very good. Given the choice, I'd rather go with Talmage both on that and on spiritual insights.

Guest mormonmusic

I was just thinking I'd totally set myself up for that one! ;)

I did the same thing in another thread -- even after I tried to pre-empt the expected standard response. Predictable, us Mormons, aren't we?

Guest gopecon

The Kingdom and the Crown series by Gerald Lund is good. It's historical fiction, but he is very careful about not putting words in the Savior's mouth. The historical context of many of the parables is explained quite nicely. It seems very well researched.

As for Jesus the Christ, I'm re-reading it right now. I don't think you can go too wrong with a book written by an Apostle in the Temple.

Guest gopecon

Huh??? I'm not sure the point of your question Volgadon. I don't see any problem with referencing other good work. General Authorities quote non-LDS people in conference quite frequently. Truth is truth, no matter who wrote it.