Public prayer

sister_in_faith

I was thinking about that. Truth is I see it as saying that. :)

The problem with this is that communication becomes impossible. For example:

John: I don't like brownies.

Jane: What do you have against chocolate?

John: Huh? I never said I didn't like chocolate.

Jane: You most certainly did.

[After extensive back and forth...]

John: Here is what I said: "I don't like brownies."

Jane: Yes, I was thinking about that. Truth is I see this as saying that you don't like chocolate.

What is John to do, when meaning that simply does not exist in his words is being assigned to him anyway?

Language by its very nature is imprecise, so we do well to accept that words can be misinterpreted. But inventing non-existent meaning and assigning it to what someone says seems beyond the pale, to me at least.

Since you did not intend it to be read that way, I accept that you didnt mean it the way I read it.

Most generous of you. But it sort of invalidates much of the thread, based as it has been on the misapprehension that some folks were claiming you shouldn't pray in the temple.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I just went and read the entire thread thru again. Yes, it is very wierd. I want to just explain what my inital post was actually about. I was watching survivor and I felt uncomfortable about them praying for the cameras, which made me think about tebowing and how that had turned into a public display of prayer to something that people mocked. I felt like those examples could remind us to keep prayer a more private thing, so we could protect the sacredness of prayer. So that it never gets mocked or anything like that. I actually wasn't even wanting to talk about the celestial room, I should never have mentioned. I wondered what people thought about tebowing and the survivor prayers, and if some people were having the same feelings as me.

So that was what the thread was about. Hope that clears things up a little bit, as to how this all started.

But it sort of invalidates much of the thread, based as it has been on the misapprehension that some folks were claiming you shouldn't pray in the temple.

it does doesnt it..

It really is a matter of miscommunications.

I hardly think its beyond the pale to understand words in a way that was not intended. Its pretty common since words arent the exact things we sometimes wish or even think they are. :D

For example tell a person in Australia you want a napkin and they are going to wonder where your baby is but you just want to wipe your fingers.

I hardly think its beyond the pale to understand words in a way that was not intended. Its pretty common since words arent the exact things we sometimes wish or even think they are. :D

Specifically, I wrote:

Language by its very nature is imprecise, so we do well to accept that words can be misinterpreted. But inventing non-existent meaning and assigning it to what someone says seems beyond the pale, to me at least.