Phrases Passed Down From Generations Lol

StrawberryFields

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...
Guest Yediyd

"He's got more excuses than Carter's got liver pills!" (from the popular little bottle of pills: Carter's little liver pills)

"Well, I'll be a goose fried in chicken grease!"

"I'm feelin' lower than a well digger's shoe"

"why you low-down,yeller bellied, sap suckin', ideotically inclined,pistal packin', bucket o' puke!!!!!!" (My dad's favorite!)

and every time my grandmother saw sun rays comming down out of the clouds, she would say..."why, lookie thar', The sun's a drawin' water!"

(I'm originally from West Virginia)

Guest Emma Hale Smith

When I was a kid, my Mom would say as she was leaving the house "See ya in the movies!" I do the same with my own family.

Other little tidbits my Mother would say were:

She's uglier than a mud fence!

One of these days you'll meet your Waterloo!

M. :)

<div class='quotemain'>

Telling a child to be good.

"Mind your "P's" and "Q's"

Does anyone know what a P or Q is? :dontknow:

Here's the long version:

Mind one's Ps and Qs

To be very careful and/or to behave correctly. It is tied to the fact that the lowercase letters "p" and "q" mirror each other. This is a term from typesetters in the printing industry. In the days of lead type, letters were set individually into a page, and they were placed one by one, upside down. They were pulled from a typecase, in which each letter had a designated space to reside. Problems came when pages were being taken apart and letters put away. If someone was in a hurry or was not paying attention to what he was doing, he could end up with p's and q's in the wrong slots in the typecase, which he wouldn't notice until the next time he was putting together a page, when he would unknowingly pick out the wrong letter. (This could also happen with b's and d's, but as they are more common than q's, typesetters were more accustomed to finding them, and they were mixed up less often.) Hence, pay attention to what you're doing now, so that you don't give yourself problems later on. Alternatively, in England this phrase is also associated with "p'ease" and "'k you" baby talk for 'Please' and 'Thank you', hence "Mind your P's and Q's" is sometimes used to mean "Remember to say 'Please' and 'Thank you.'" Another less widely accepted origin of this phrase purports to have originated in England where, when patrons at a bar were becoming unruly, the bartender would remind them to, "Mind your pints and quarts." This has been shortened to the phrase, "Mind your P's and Q's."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_idiom...nglish_language

M.

I always wondered what the "p" and "q" was all about. Thanks M!

Emma

This was fun to read. :)

Growing up in Tennessee I heard :

Money (or anything) around here is as "scarce as hen's teeth"

A good meal might be "fine as frog's hair"

That or he was "slicker than a peeled onion"

Dont take any wooden nickles.

Why are you running around like a chicken with its head cut off?

If i was in trouble, boy I will take a withe ( a switch) to you and wear you out!

And I sometimes thought I was royalty when I hear "Lord boy what have you done now?" LOL

Dont let your mouth overload your butt!

That guy is crooked as a barrel of snakes

Crooked as a politician.

I know there are more I just dont remember them right now.

Guest Yediyd

My friend and I had this little bid going...whenever I wanted to say thank you...I would say, "Thanks...LOADS!!!" then she would say, "Sure... THING!!!"

(I was calling her fat, and she was calling me a thing!"

I remember it well. It was 1980, World History II. The teacher had just said something that struck me as fascinating, and I said, "Wow...that must have been a Duesie."

Teacher was dumbfounded, and finally responded, "I haven't heard that since before WWII!"

The Duesenberg was a fancy, Cadillac-like vehicle, that everyone associated with top-class and excellence. So, if someone did something really great, folk would say, "That's a Duesie!"

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...l%3Den%26sa%3DX

Guest Yediyd

My 12th grade English class was located next to the lunch room....I'll never forget what the teacher exclaimed when someone dropped a mettle pot on the floor (a HUGE one)

He said..."Oh for G_ _ sakes! Somebody dropped their class ring!!!"