Phrases Passed Down From Generations Lol

StrawberryFields

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"your ears are so dirty inside... I think I see a potato"

my mom used to say something similar. if she saw behind our ears was dirty she would say, "you could grow potatos behind here?" or "what are you doing, growing potatoes back here?" stuff like that. took me years to figure out what that really meant. lol

also dumber than a fire ant......well it was a different name for fire ant lol

if we were too wiggly "floppin' around like a fish out of water"

tangled hair was reffered to as a "rats nest"

my dad used to say "well, that's just ducky" i've never heard anyone else around here say that so i guess it's not a southern saying, but i've heard "just peachy" used the same way lol

a hard row to hoe

I grew up in Texas and we use to say "well, that's just ducky" too. :-)

ok, so not south eastern then. lol

kids with really blond hair called "toe heads" i guess that is what it is. people call my boys that all the time. "all the little toe heads their so cute" ???? does anybody know where that comes from?

dishwater diarrhea - this one is kind of gross, and my have just been my dad. but we did not have a dish washer (imagine that), so part of our chores was to take turns helping do the dishes. we'll after dinner your hands get in hot water you have to pee. you get to the bathroom and there is no real incentive to be done, because you are going to go do dishes, so you read a book and claim to have to poo. by the time you get out mom has already done them. great plan, right? anyway, my dad used to get mad and tell us we couldn't go to the bathroom because it was dishwater diarrhea. i see my kids suddenly having to go to the bathroom when time to do chores, and we have a dishwasher. lol i'm thinking i might pass that one down. lol