I Want To Learn About Lds

scottym

Hi everyone, so I have a pretty good knowledge of the bible. But I've never really understood what the book of mormon is.

I met a missionary, Elder Wilson, who talked with me for a few minutes, who had a lot of interseting things to say. He gave me a book of mormon and told me to check the church website. He also told me to read adn pray about Moroni chapter 10.

I dont know anything about the relgion; or where the book of mormon comes from, like, he said it was apart of the bible, but i've never seen it. If someone could explain everything to me that would be great. I'd really like to know because it seems really awesome, but I dont know anyting about it.

Hi Scott,

Welcome to LDS Talk. :) Maybe you misheard him. The BOM is not part of the Bible. "Have a pretty good knowledge of the Bible" like you said, makes me wonder how "good" you knowledge really is. I'm only teasing you about your OP, Sir. I look forward to talking to you.

Dr. T

If you wanted to learn about the Bible, would you read about the Bible? Or read the Bible?

Read the book.

Once you're done reading it, study the book.

Once you're done studying it, search the book.

Once you're done searching, ponder the contents of the book.

Once you're done pondering, pray about the book.

Until then, you will never come to know Christ, but only know about Christ.

It's your choice.

If you wanted to learn about the Bible, would you read about the Bible? Or read the Bible?

Read the book.

Once you're done reading it, study the book.

Once you're done studying it, search the book.

Once you're done searching, ponder the contents of the book.

Once you're done pondering, pray about the book.

Until then, you will never come to know Christ, but only know about Christ.

It's your choice.

well i've read the bible.

I'm talking about the book or mormon. The other guy, Dr. T said it's not apart of the bible.

So, what is it from or for then?

If it is not apart of the bible is it scripture?

Where does the book or mormon come into teaching in LDS?

That's the things i dont understand.

I'm talking about the book or mormon. The other guy, Dr. T said it's not apart of the bible.

Excellent! Now read the Book of Mormon. :)

<div class='quotemain'>

well the bible doesnt talk about the book of Mormon... that's what i dont get.

Is the book of mormon scripture or doctrin or what?

Scott and Kate,

Thank you for comming to this site, and thank you for you interest in the Book of Mormon and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I understand your concerns because I have stood where you now stand. I am not sure, Scott, if Elder Wilson is still serving in your area or not, but I highly recommend that you continue to discuss these things with the missionaries in your area. I recommend the same to you as well Kate.

You asked first off about the Book of Mormon, where it comes from, who it comes from, what is it's purpose, and what is it. I will answer that question by quoting from the title page and introduction to that very book:

<blockquote>The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ. An account written by the hand of Mormon upon plates taken from the plates of Nephi. Wherefore it is an abridgement of the record of the people of Nephi, and also of the Lamanites -- Written to the Lamanites, who are a remnant of the house of Israel; and also to Jew and Gentile -- Written by way of commandment, and also by the spirit of prophecy and of revelation -- Written and sealed up, and hid up unto the Lord, that they might not be destroyed -- To come forth by the gift and power of God unto the interpretation thereof -- sealed by the hand of Moroni, and hid up unto the Lord, to come forth in due time by way of the Gentile -- The interpretation thereof by the gift of God.

An abridgment taken from the Book of Ether also, which is a record of the people of Jared, who were scattered at the time the Lord confounded the language of the people, when they were building a tower to get to heaven—Which is to show unto the remnant of the House of Israel what great things the Lord hath done for their fathers; and that they may know the covenants of the Lord, that they are not cast off forever—And also to the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that JESUS is the CHRIST, the ETERNAL God, manifesting himself unto all nations—And now, if there are faults they are the mistakes of men; wherefore, condemn not the things of God, that ye may be found spotless at the judgment-seat of Christ.

TRANSLATED BY JOSEPH SMITH, Jun.</blockquote>

Now the Introduction:

<blockquote>The Book of Mormon is a volume of holy scripture comparable to the Bible. It is a record of God’s dealings with the ancient inhabitants of the Americas and contains, as does the Bible, the fulness of the everlasting gospel.

The book was written by many ancient prophets by the spirit of prophecy and revelation. Their words, written on gold plates, were quoted and abridged by a prophet-historian named Mormon. The record gives an account of two great civilizations. One came from Jerusalem in 600 B.C., and afterward separated into two nations, known as the Nephites and the Lamanites. The other came much earlier when the Lord confounded the tongues at the Tower of Babel. This group is known as the Jaredites. After thousands of years, all were destroyed except the Lamanites, and they are the principal ancestors of the American Indians.

The crowning event recorded in the Book of Mormon is the personal ministry of the Lord Jesus Christ among the Nephites soon after his resurrection. It puts forth the doctrines of the gospel, outlines the plan of salvation, and tells men what they must do to gain peace in this life and eternal salvation in the life to come.

After Mormon completed his writings, he delivered the account to his son Moroni, who added a few words of his own and hid up the plates in the hill Cumorah. On September 21, 1823, the same Moroni, then a glorified, resurrected being, appeared to the Prophet Joseph Smith and instructed him relative to the ancient record and its destined translation into the English language.

In due course the plates were delivered to Joseph Smith, who translated them by the gift and power of God. The record is now published in many languages as a new and additional witness that Jesus Christ is the Son of the living God and that all who will come unto him and obey the laws and ordinances of his gospel may be saved.

Concerning this record the Prophet Joseph Smith said: “I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.”

In addition to Joseph Smith, the Lord provided for eleven others to see the gold plates for themselves and to be special witnesses of the truth and divinity of the Book of Mormon. Their written testimonies are included herewith as “The Testimony of Three Witnesses” and “The Testimony of Eight Witnesses.”

We invite all men everywhere to read the Book of Mormon, to ponder in their hearts the message it contains, and then to ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ if the book is true. Those who pursue this course and ask in faith will gain a testimony of its truth and divinity by the power of the Holy Ghost. (See Moroni 10: 3-5.)

Those who gain this divine witness from the Holy Spirit will also come to know by the same power that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world, that Joseph Smith is his revelator and prophet in these last days, and that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Lord’s kingdom once again established on the earth, preparatory to the second coming of the Messiah.</blockquote>

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, which I am sure you will, please do not hesitate to ask myself or the missionaries in your area. I do not have all the answers to your questions, but I will try to answer them as best I can.

Also, please read the Book of Mormon and pray about it.

Sincerely,

Brother Hinds

Hi Kate :D

This web site has a lot of information that can answer your question but I really suggest you meet with the missionaries. They are trained to teach and answer all your questions.

Attend church and ask the elders to introduce you to a sister your age that can be a friend so you can ask any other questions so you get a women’s slant on things.

http://www.lds.org

When Jesus Christ lived on the earth, He organized His Church so that all people could receive His gospel and return one day to live with God, our Heavenly Father. After Jesus Christ ascended to heaven, His Apostles continued to receive revelation from Him on how to direct the work of His Church. However, after they were killed, members changed the teachings of the Church that He had established. While many good people and some truth remained, this Apostasy, or general falling away from the truth, brought about the withdrawal of the Church from the earth. The Apostle Peter prophesied that Jesus would restore His Church before His Second Coming (Acts 3:19–21).

Jesus Christ began to restore His Church in its fulness to the earth through the Prophet Joseph Smith in 1820. It has grown to become a worldwide Church with over 12 million members. It has the same teachings and basic organization as the Church established by Jesus in New Testament times.

Our Basic beliefs we fallow what is called our the articles of faith are:

1 WE believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2 We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.

3 We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4 We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5 We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6 We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7 We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8 We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9 We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10 We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11 We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12 We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

I love the Book of Mormon, it took me spiritually to a whole new level. It answered questions the bible did not. I always as mother members of the church that the bible had been corrupted by those motivated to change it to their own end. It dose not mean we so not fallow the bible we do it is just picked though, some parts kept and others thrown away. The Book of Mormon was written for our day, when you read it the prophecy of our time today are in it.

I hope your journey is filled with joy, hang out stay awhile most of us here would love to answer any questions you might have but remember were not train to teach, your best bet is meeting with the elders. :idea:

God Bless

Winnie

Yes, I would like to know, if anyone can please tell me, where the Book of Mormon came from.

Each religion has it's own holy book:

Islam and the Qur’an

Buddhism and the Trippitika

Scientology and Dianetics

Christianity and the bible

etc

So, what makes the Book of Mormon more holy than the others and where did it come from?

thank you,

blazius

Yes, I would like to know, if anyone can please tell me, where the Book of Mormon came from.

Each religion has it's own holy book:

Islam and the Qur’an

Buddhism and the Trippitika

Scientology and Dianetics

Christianity and the bible

etc

So, what makes the Book of Mormon more holy than the others and where did it come from?

thank you,

blazius

Regarding Dianetics.....L Ron Hubbard was a science fiction writer....Dianetics is science fiction...Scientology is not a religon, they have no supreme being or God....it's a following.....just below being a Trekkie! They sell members these hugely expensive fake electronic biofeedback machines to help them be one with the universe....you have to have alot of money to be able to advance in their church...to reach their certain realms of conscienceousness. People like John Taravolta and Tom Cruise are drawn to this baloney because they are pretty much worshipped because of their money....it's a real joke. But, isn't it funny that all the other books you mentioned were compiled by a prophet in that particular religon...and that they all too believe in a supreme being? Makes you wonder doesn't it?

As far as The Book of Mormon being more holy that others.....it has never been put that way by the church....however it is the most correct book of all the others.....AND,

If you go up about 3 or 4 posts and read Brother Hinds post it will give you alittle insight on where the Book of Mormon came from......or you can go to www.lds.org and read for yourself....

If you are truly an investigator of the LDS faith, then good luck in your search for the truth....if you are an anti-Mormon coming here in the guise of an investigator to stir up controversy....then good luck cause it won't happen....you'll be ignored.

Hi everyone, so I have a pretty good knowledge of the bible. But I've never really understood what the book of mormon is. I met a missionary, Elder Wilson, who talked with me for a few minutes, who had a lot of interseting things to say. He gave me a book of mormon and told me to check the church website. He also told me to read adn pray about Moroni chapter 10.

I dont know anything about the relgion; or where the book of mormon comes from, like, he said it was apart of the bible, but i've never seen it. If someone could explain everything to me that would be great. I'd really like to know because it seems really awesome, but I dont know anyting about it.

Hi Scotty, welcome to LDStalk...

The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ , is one of the sacred texts of the Latter Day Saint movement, named after the prophet/historian Mormon, who according to the text compiled most of the book. It was published by the founder of the Mormon movement, Joseph Smith, Jr., in March 1830 in Palmyra, New York. The purpose of the Book of Mormon, as stated on its original title page, "is to show the remnant of the House of Israel what great things the Lord has done for their fathers" and to convince "Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God, manifesting himself to all nations."

Along with the Bible, which is also held by Latter Day Saints to be the Word of God, the Book of Mormon is esteemed as part of the canon by the churches that grew out of the Latter Day Saint movement, founded by Joseph Smith, Jr. The largest of these denominations, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church), accepts the Bible "as far as it is translated correctly",[1] as well as the Book of Mormon, the Pearl of Great Price, and the Doctrine and Covenants as canonical scripture. In 1982, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints added the subtitle Another Testament of Jesus Christ to its editions of the book to help clarify and emphasize its purpose.

The book declares that it was written by ancient prophets of the Western Hemisphere who traveled there from ancient Israel, probably between 625-575 BC. Joseph Smith is said to have translated the record by divine inspiration with assistance from the Urim and Thummim from gold plates, which he claimed were returned to the angel Moroni later on...

...According to the accounts of Joseph Smith and his associates, the original record was engraved on thin, malleable sheets of metal with the appearance of gold or Brass and bound with three rings at one edge. The leaves were engraved on both sides with considerable skill. According to the account presented in the book, it is an abridgment of earlier records by Mormon and his son, Moroni, about 400 AD. At the end of Moroni's ministry (approximately 421 AD), he hid these plates along with several other items in a stone box in a hillside (now named the Hill Cumorah) near Palmyra, New York.

On September 22, 1823, Joseph Smith stated that he was directed by God through the angel Moroni to the place where the plates were stored. He was not immediately allowed to take them, but after four years was finally entrusted with them. Through the power of God and two seer stones he was able to translate the characters (which, according to the Book, were related to 600 BC Egyptian with Hebrew influence[29] into English).[30]

Joseph Smith claimed he was commanded to show the plates to several people and no one else. Accounts by these individuals are recorded in the front of the Book of Mormon as "The Testimony of Three Witnesses" and "The Testimony of Eight Witnesses." Most of the witnesses at some point became disaffected with Joseph Smith's leadership and the church, but none withdrew their testimony of what they signed.

After translation was complete, the angel is said to have again taken the plates from Joseph Smith and no public account of their whereabouts has been made since....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Mormon

M.

Hi everyone, so I have a pretty good knowledge of the bible. But I've never really understood what the book of mormon is.

I met a missionary, Elder Wilson, who talked with me for a few minutes, who had a lot of interseting things to say. He gave me a book of mormon and told me to check the church website. He also told me to read adn pray about Moroni chapter 10.

Hey hey.

Sorry, but it is impossible to tell you EVERYTHING about LDS.

You have to pray for some of it, otherwise you will never know.

I hadn't read any of the replies yet, but I might later.

The book of mormon is ANOTHER testiment of Jesus Christ, that he indeed did like and atone for our sins.

Did you do everything Elder Wilson said?

It is really awesome.

I am a convert of the church aswell.

Even if you don't convert,

I would be content if you knew how much Jesus loves you,

and how much Heavenly Father wants you back home.

Nice meeting you.

Desiré

Welcome Kate. (I love that name by the way) :)

Thank you very much! ^_^

Hi Kate :D

This web site has a lot of information that can answer your question but I really suggest you meet with the missionaries. They are trained to teach and answer all your questions.

Attend church and ask the elders to introduce you to a sister your age that can be a friend so you can ask any other questions so you get a women’s slant on things.

http://www.lds.org

When Jesus Christ lived on the earth, He organized His Church so that all people could receive His gospel and return one day to live with God, our Heavenly Father. After Jesus Christ ascended to heaven, His Apostles continued to receive revelation from Him on how to direct the work of His Church. However, after they were killed, members changed the teachings of the Church that He had established. While many good people and some truth remained, this Apostasy, or general falling away from the truth, brought about the withdrawal of the Church from the earth. The Apostle Peter prophesied that Jesus would restore His Church before His Second Coming (Acts 3:19–21).

Jesus Christ began to restore His Church in its fulness to the earth through the Prophet Joseph Smith in 1820. It has grown to become a worldwide Church with over 12 million members. It has the same teachings and basic organization as the Church established by Jesus in New Testament times.

Our Basic beliefs we fallow what is called our the articles of faith are:

1 WE believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2 We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.

3 We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4 We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5 We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6 We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7 We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8 We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9 We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10 We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11 We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12 We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

I love the Book of Mormon, it took me spiritually to a whole new level. It answered questions the bible did not. I always as mother members of the church that the bible had been corrupted by those motivated to change it to their own end. It dose not mean we so not fallow the bible we do it is just picked though, some parts kept and others thrown away. The Book of Mormon was written for our day, when you read it the prophecy of our time today are in it.

I hope your journey is filled with joy, hang out stay awhile most of us here would love to answer any questions you might have but remember were not train to teach, your best bet is meeting with the elders. :idea:

God Bless

Winnie

Thank you for the information ^_^ I really appriciate it.

Hey thanks for the information everyone.

I had a few more questions. I've come across alot of websites that have found many contradictions to the bible. If the book of Mormon is scripture, there shouldnt be contradictions. So I was confused. are the people on these sites crazy, or are their obvious flaws that just dont really matter?

It was kind of alarming to find this and check up on these, I mean the way I read this and looked them up, this seems to show many contradictions... can someone help to explain?

1. Compare I Nephi 1:2 with Nehemiah 13: 23-27. The Egyptian language was a very corrupt language from idol worshiping people who had persecuted the Children of Israel as Hitler did the Jews during World War II. No Prophet of God would have ever used a corrupt language to convey God’s message at this point in history. See the above quote from Nehemiah as to that prophet’s reaction to a mixed language.

2. The Book of Mormon speaks clearly that it was not inspired by God when you compare it with what God has already said about inspiration. I Nephi 1:3; 19:4-6: II Nephi 11:1; 25:7; 33:1; Mormon 1:2-6; Jacob 7:26-27, contrasted to Deuteronomy 4:2; 1 Corinthians 2:13; 2 Peter 1:20-21.

3. I Nephi 2:5, Sam is a Yankee name, Samuel would have been a Jewish name.

4. I Nephi 2:8. There is no river in all of Arabia now or ever in recorded history, and no river which empties into the Red Sea!

5. I Nephi 5:14. How could a devout Jew not know what tribe he was from until he saw the “plates?”

6. I Nephi 8:4, “Methought,” an Elizabethan English poetic word.

7. I Nephi 10:8, exact quote from John 1:27. (An example of plagiarism.)

8. I Nephi 10:11, “Holy Ghost” is a King Jamesism and was not known in 600 B.C.

9. I Nephi 10:17, “Faith on the Son of God.” A term never used by an Old Testament Prophet, keeping in mind that was allegedly written between 600-592 B.C. The Messiah, who would be King and Deliverer was expected but not, the Son of God.

10. I Nephi 10:18, “same yesterday and forever”; a quote from Hebrews 13:8, 600 years before it was written.

11. I Nephi 11:21, “Lamb of God,” strictly New Testament language. Compare with John 1:20.

12. I Nephi 11:27, baptism of Jesus–John 1:29-34. The one who wrote the Book of Mormon had read much of the New Testament.

14. I Nephi 13:23, why the explanation to Nephi when they had these “plates” containing this information all the time (cf. 5:11,16)?

15. I Nephi 16:18, bows of steel? “Iron, steel, glass, and silk were not used in the New World before 1492 (except for occasional use of unsmelted meteoric iron). Nuggets of native copper were used in various locations in pre-Columbian times, but true metallurgy was limited to southern Mexico and the Andean region, where its occurrence in late prehistoric times involved gold, silver, copper, and their alloys, but not iron.” (National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution)

16. I Nephi 16: 28,29, faith given to the “ball.” Does God ask us to have faith in anything but Him?

17. I Nephi 21 and 22, copied from Isaiah 49, 50 (another example of plagiarism).

18. II Nephi 4:17, “O wretched man that I am,” exact quote from Romans 7:24 by the Apostle Paul, 600 years before he was born?

19. II Nephi 1:3, “land of promise” for the Jew was the land of Canaan. See Genesis 13:14-18.

20. II Nephi 4:21, the love of God causes his flesh to be consumed?

21. II Nephi 5:21, black is not beautiful!

22. II Nephi 5:23, don’t marry a Lamanite or you will be cursed. Mormons tell us that the Lamanites are the American Indians.

23. II Nephi 6-8, compare with Isaiah 50-51. (Example of plagiarism.)

24. II Nephi 10:7, a false prophecy. The Jews are back in their own land, only in unbelief. Compare with Deuteronomy 18:20-22.

25. II Nephi 12-24 are Isaiah 2-14. (Example of plagiarism.)

26. II Nephi 13 compare with Isaiah 3. (Example of plagiarism.)

27. II Nephi 25:19, “Christ” was not His last name. Christ means “The Anointed One” or the Messiah. The name “Jesus” was not foretold in Old Testament times. Check Isaiah 9:6. The first time the name was mentioned was when Gabriel told Mary as recorded in Luke 1:31, “and shalt call his name JESUS.”

28. The Book of Mormon is purported to be “a second witness to the Bible.” Who needs the kind of witness that condemns? See II Nephi 29.

29. II Nephi 28:8-9, seem to condemn Mormonism’s doctrine of repentance after death.

30. II Nephi 29:11-13, God dealt only with the Children of Israel and commanded them speak in His name in Old Testament times. In the New Testament, John 12:47,48, Jesus tells us we are to be judged in that last days by the the things He has spoken.

31. Jacob 2:23-3:12, condemns polygamy, see Doctrine and Covenants 132.

32. Jacob 7:27, “Adieu,” French in 544 B.C.?

33. Mosiah 2:3, “. . .offer sacrifice and burnt offering according to the law of Moses.” The Book of Mormon “Nephites” and “Lamanites” were from the tribe of Manasseh, (Alma 10:3). No Manassite could give attendance at the altar according to the law of Moses. Exodus 28-31; Numbers 3:7; Nehemiah 7:63,65; Hebrews 7:12-14 tells us only the tribe of Levi and particularly the Sons of Aaron could give attendance at the altar.

34. Alma 7:10 Jesus born at Jerusalem? See Micah 5:2; Luke 2:4. The Mormon argument is that “Jerusalem” referred to the general vicinity, but in I Nephi 1:3 it is called a “city.”

35. Alma is supposed to be a prophet of God and of Jewish ancestry. Alma in Hebrew means a betrothed virgin. Hardly a fitting name for a man.

36. Alma 46:15, “Christian” in 73 B.C., contradicted by Luke in Acts 11:26.

37. Alma 44:12-16, the bad guy gets scalped and suffers nothing but anger, causing him to fight more powerfully afterward. Incredible!

38. Ether 1:34-37, the language of the Jaredites not confounded at the Tower of Babel, contradicts Genesis 11:9.

39. Ether 1:43, the Jaredites are promised by the God of the Book of Mormon to be the greatest nation on earth, and that there would be no greater nation. However, in the Abrahamic Covenant (Genesis 15:1-5; 17:1-9, 19; 18:17,18; Romans 2:2) this promise is made. The seed of Abraham is still with us and the Messiah came through that lineage. The Jaredites destroyed each other and within a few generations ceased to exist.

40. Throughout Ether chapter 2, we find the God of the Book of Mormon needs to be given instructions and corrections, for his instructions are foolish. See Job 38-40, for God’s reaction to anyone who might try to instruct Him.

41. Ether 3:9-13, 19, redeemed from the fall because the brother saw the finger of the Lord. Compare Hebrews 9:11-15, 22. Without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sin. See also Abel’s offering (Genesis 3:7).

42. Ether 15:30,31, Shiz struggles for breath after his head was cut off.

43. IV Nephi 6, 57 words are used to say 59 years had passed away.

The question should be asked:

“HOW MANY LIES DO YOU HAVE TO FIND IN A BOOK

TO KNOW IT IS NOT FROM GOD?”

-------

this is what was posted on one of the sites i visited.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

well the bible doesnt talk about the book of Mormon... that's what i dont get.

Is the book of mormon scripture or doctrin or what?

My dear Scotty, what part of R - E - A - D do you not understand?

Like I stated before, if you do not read the Book of Mormon but instead read about the book ... then you will never come to know Christ, but only know about Him. Until you do this and actually *read* the book, you will forever remain in darkness and confusion.

I repeat, you will not find inner peace until you read the book.

Hey thanks for the information everyone.

I had a few more questions. I've come across alot of websites that have found many contradictions to the bible. If the book of Mormon is scripture, there shouldnt be contradictions. So I was confused. are the people on these sites crazy, or are their obvious flaws that just dont really matter?

It was kind of alarming to find this and check up on these, I mean the way I read this and looked them up, this seems to show many contradictions... can someone help to explain?

Scotty, Scotty, Scotty.....

I think you really need to stay away from those anti-Mormon web sites if you want to know the truth....those places have dissected the Book of Mormon and taken every possible way they can to make it look like it contradicts itself or contradicts their interpetation of the Bible. You state..."If the Book of Mormon is scripture there shouldn't be contradictions to the Bible"....well, I can say then too "If the Bible is scripture then there shouldn't be contradictions of itself" which is very true, there are many. I'm sure I could find a web site somewhere that has broken down and dissected the Bible to show it's contradictions. Besides....it's all in how these books are interpeted.....someone not of the Mormon faith who has taken the roll of judge in his or her church will interpet the Book of Mormon completely differently than a member of the Mormon church....why? Because they are looking to discredit rather than find the truth. This is where these web sites come from, this is the anti-Mormon......Why do they exist? Why do these churches preach anti-Mormon in their sunday schools? Why do they go to such great lengths to try to discredit the Mormon church? Are they not secure enough in their own faith? What are they so afraid of? Why do they take on this self righteous, judgemental robe and try to tell the world that the Mormons are wrong? Personally....I really don't care what they think....for I have the truth....I am content with the knowledge I have of the true Gospel of Jesus Christ....I have joy in knowing where I came from, why I am here and where I am going....these anti-Mormons can live in their hatred for our faith while we live in our love for our faith.

PS: If you really are wanting to know the truth of the Book of Mormon....read it with an open mind...ask God to show you the truth....forget all the anti-Mormon messages you have been taught and just read the book, don't dissect it, read it....then ask God for the truth....or are you afraid to?

Wow, I looked up the things Scotty posted and there ARE alot of contradictions....

Just because I am curious, are you afraid that your religion is wrong? Is that why you think everyone else is wrong by disecting it? Because if you can disect it, and it contradicts itself more than the bible supposedly does, THEN who is the one afraid? Certainly not me.

The reason that other people disect it is probably because they see it is a lie from the enemy with a the name of Christ...I mean, as Scotty said there are a lot of contradictions. Do you know how many contradictions there are of the BoM as opposed to the Bible? From what I saw, the BoM had way more contradictions with common sense alone than anything else. As a statistic, the Bible has only 143 recorded "contradictions", all of which can be accounted for and EXPLAINED though the scripture. From what I have seen, the BoM not only contradicts scripture, it also contradicts it's own doctorine and convents as well. I also heard that not even the Mormons read from Joseph Smith's revised translation of the bible. How can they trust him with the BoM if they dont read from his revised bible? Which was supposedly more accurate then the bible they use today?

I asked my friends if they could explain all of this to me, but they couldn't give me a sufficiant answer this time either. Can you?