Family, Yourself, Or The Lord...who Is #1?

moptopfan50

After a recent chat experience, I can see where some people feel they have all the right decisions, or their family is more important than the Prophet or the Lord. And before you say I am hasty, I will say I have learned from experience what happens when you think you have the right decisions and still do what you want even after knowing what the Lord's will is.

We are taught, as LDS, and I believe we should follow and listen to the teachings, that first and foremost is the Lord, then spouse, then work. Any mixup of these priorities results in a life that lacks direction and a firm footing. We are here to do the Lord's will. True, we have have agency, but when choosing our own interests over the Lord's, we do not succeed. I do not say that we should not do what we want to. I do say that we should carefully pray, ponder, seek blessings when appropriate, and then, after having the Lord's input on this, and knowing we are sons and daughters of the Father, we will hopefully make the correct choice. So when we put His will first, we will receive many more blessings and obtain things not possible through following His will.

i would agree almost compleatly with you mop. one change. first God, then self (as in testimoney, and health, not anything that hurts or takes away from family, self not selfish), spouse, family (as in children and then extended, however responsibility to extended should never take away from any of the preceeding people. if so then take them out of the equation all together), then work.

i had a stake pres that said we juggle a lot of balls in life, home, family, work, church, etc. the balls are all rubber except family. family is a glass ball. if we must drop all the balls to catch a failing family then do so, if it hits the ground it shatters to never be regained. church, work, all others will eventually bounce back.

i too have a testamony of when following the Lord's will in place of our own, or first having his blessing on my will before following through with the choice, things go better. i know that my heavenly father knows me and my abilities. following my will alone i would sell myself short thinking i was not capapble of something i could do. by following the lord even when i think i can't and having trust in him, i've found that i'm capable of so much more and i've grown into someoe i didn't know i could be. i'm glad to be the person i am, and know the lord will continue to guide me to be the best i can, return to him, and have the greatest happiness this life can offer me and happiness in the next. if i will but trust and follow him, even when it does not make since in my limited understanding.

My husband and I were married civilly first then sealed later. (he was a new member)

We have never forgotten the words of council our bishop gave us that day.

“Your first responsibility is to God then to each other then to your children”

At first I thought OK that’s odd not about God but about the children, why third? :hmmm:

Once we were settled as a new married couple we pondered that council and in practice he was dead on. :idea:

Becoming a stepfather of four at the age of 30 was a big leap of trust and love on his part.

When the children tried to do the “but mommy said we could” we learned early on it was us and them, that we would one day be empty nesters and had to grow an lean on each other not just for support then but for a friendship that would last all the years of our marriage.

It was a bumpy ride at first but our personal relationship with God first and each other second was the key to our lives today.

I use to tell my husband he can have my hart :wub: but my sole belongs to God.

Wait till you have granddaughters like we do.

You think you could not love more when you become a parent but when you become a grandparent a whole new part of your hart opens up you never know you had before. :wub:

I have a friend who gives me a hard time over my grandma bragging and I tell her “Shut up you just wait till you become a grandmother, you’ll see” her husband my hubby’s best bud says he can’t wait but she says I’m not ready yet. :animatedthumbsup:

my dad was told in trainging to be a mission pres that his family always comes first...he even called pres. packer who was comeing down for a stake conference if it would be okay to skip out on saturdays session to go to a little sons football game and pres. packer said "president are you trying to do what we are teaching" my dads respons was "yes sr. if its all right with you" and he said of course. so to me there has to be abalince