Church while traveling.

Hala401

Call ahead and ask permission as to what you could/should wear?

Oh, sorry. No, I actually did not. We just went. And when I went to Indianapollis to care for a friend who had cancer, I called to find out where the Ward was, but that was all. If I am traveling, I always try to attend church on Sunday.

I suppose the anxiety was getting to me.

Hala, I'm going to take this opportunity to give advice to those who have children and are visiting wards. It's a good idea to call the Primary Presidency/Bishopric and tell them that you are going to visit and the kids are going to be in x-age Primary Class if at all possible. It's good for the Primary teacher to know how many kids to expect in class in case she wants to hand things out and such. Also, sometimes when the Primary class gets too big, they will call on an assistant teacher.

When I was a Primary President and a teacher, I always made extra handouts just in case I had children I wasn't expecting.

When I was a Primary President and a teacher, I always made extra handouts just in case I had children I wasn't expecting.

When I was a Primary Teacher, my class had a journal (more like a scrapbook really) that we started on the first lesson of the Manual and filled up every Sunday until the lesson manual was completed. Then they took the journal/scrapbook home.

Every Sunday, I prepare the lesson cut-outs that they can use to put on their scrapbook so it's an easy glue-on thing and they can spend more time writing what they thought about the lesson. These cut outs can be as simple as a coloring page or as fancy as foam board stencils. And then I got decor stuff (like sparklies and stickers), and each kids' own art pouch (crayons, pencils, glue sticks, etc.) because on the first day I did this, one of the kids ended up crying because she couldn't get a turn on the pink pencil.

Sometimes I feel inclined to make extra cut-outs, sometimes I don't depending on the complexity of that Sunday's activity. If there's an extra kid and I didn't make extra cutouts, I get to "wing it".

I was a travel nurse for 7 years and attended many different meetings in many different states. I wore the same thing in rural Arkansas as I did in Atlanta or Tucson. The branch I attended in the Ozarks of Arkansas was a double wide trailer with an average attendance of about 40. Many of the people were dirt poor, but wore the best they had to church.

That best may have been a clean white t-shirt and coveralls, but the most important thing was that they CAME to church and brought their families! I saw men in camo print pants, and women in threadbare dresses, but they came, they spoke, they took Sacrament, they sang hymns and they worshiped just like the people in the big cities.

Heavenly Father understands our needs and our concerns, even over the little things, but I am certain that what is in our heart far outweighs the clothes on our back.

Best of luck in your travels. :)