Authentic ethnic food recommendations?

Bini

I am happy for those who are fortunate enough to live in a heavily populated enough area that has access to a variety of ethnic foods. I grew up in Oklahoma City, which had no shortage of Vietnamese, Indian, Ethiopian, Thai, Korean (and more) restaurants. I then moved to an area where the nearest Indian restaurant is 50 miles away. :(

So, I turned this inconvenience into a hobby of finding recipes and ingredients for various dishes I wanted to try. It's helped my cooking a lot. Those who cannot find ethnic restaurants near them may want to check a few recipes or demonstration videos on youtube if they're interested. I learned how to make curry this way and while it isn't ideal, it isn't bad.

Any of the Brazilian places I'm aware of in SL/Utah Counties (Rodizio, Tucano's, and Braza Grill) are good and pretty close to the churrascarias I went to in Brazil. Of the three, Tucano's (in the river bottoms in Provo) is probably the best food for the money.

Though it may be worth noting that the sheer variety of foods at one meal is something you'd almost never see in the average Brazilian household, where rice and beans (and no other sides) was pretty much the norm.

Though it may be worth noting that the sheer variety of foods at one meal is something you'd almost never see in the average Brazilian household, where rice and beans (and no other sides) was pretty much the norm.

Not that Mexican restaurant style rice and beans are authentic (I don't know), nor even if they bear much resemblance to Brazilian rice and beans, but one of my favorite parts of going to such places is the rice and beans. Of course I'm a carboholic.

Is that green Jello with shredded carrots considered an ethnic food, or a spiritual side dish?

My response to green jello with shredded carrots:

14 Behold, these things which ye call prophecies, which ye say are handed down by holy prophets, behold, they are foolish traditions of your fathers.

Fulfillment of prophecy, at least when it turns up at a ward potluck.

You're not alone. Catholic nuns create their fruitcakes, http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=I4625255201964206&pid=1.7&w=203&h=151&c=7&rs=1

and we Norwegians have our lutefisk.http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=I4871528616362338&pid=1.7&w=186&h=144&c=7&rs=1

Oh...then there is the government's ethnic dish (if the military can be considered an ethic unit): creamed peas and chipped beef on toast.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=I4734463345691106&pid=1.7&w=132&h=140&c=7&rs=1

Edited by prisonchaplain

Oh...then there is the government's ethnic dish (if the military can be considered an ethic unit): creamed peas and chipped beef on toast.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=I4734463345691106&pid=1.7&w=132&h=140&c=7&rs=1

Oh gosh.. My mum used to have us eat this. It didn't look like that though, and I don't remember it tasting bad.

Panda Express?

The Chinese would burn you at the stake! JK :D

I have found that I really just love fried rice. I don't care what establishment makes it, I just love the stuff. Just veggies and rice and without the meaties.

Oh gosh.. My mum used to have us eat this. It didn't look like that though, and I don't remember it tasting bad.

Now Bini, you need to forgive and let go. Childhood traumas are difficult, but they meant well. Today we look back and know what culinary abuse is...back then it was standard operating procedure. You do have my sympathies though. :P

Lutefisk looks awful. I like Slop on a Shingle, but my mom never put peas in it. I don't make it anymore because it's really not very healthy, but I still like eating it once in awhile. Green jello with carrots isn't bad. I've had green jello with cabbage.

If you're ever driving through Ellensburg, WA, stop in at East Buffet. My niece's Chinese husband owns and runs it. He himself says it's not authentic, but I hear it's good, and they have crab legs!

I do recall one traumatic experience at the dinner table. I think I was about 9. My dad was on a business trip, so it was just mum and the kids for dinner. She made mac-n-cheese and ham. I hate ham. After finishing all my macaroni, I announced to everyone that I wouldn't take another bite of the ham on my plate, and instead would rather eat the whole bowl of macaroni that was on the table. My mum told me that I wasn't to leave the table until I ate that ham but I refused! My sister and brother egged me on to do it, and I guess my mum thought I was bluffing, so she said fine - go for it. I ate that whole bowl of mac-n-cheese, made myself sick, couldn't move for several hours afterwards, just to avoid a slice of ham, which apparently as my siblings recall, wasn't even a slice but a few pieces.. LOL

If you're ever driving through Ellensburg, WA, stop in at East Buffet. My niece's Chinese husband owns and runs it. He himself says it's not authentic, but I hear it's good, and they have crab legs!

DH looooves crab!

What? You are in Salt Lake right now? :(

Yeah- I was going to check a bunch of people into Thaifoon again like last year just to razz you ;)

edit: we JUST got into town about 30min ago and have been busy solving a female problem. I'm pretty sure people don't call Visa Concierge that often asking for feminine products.

Edited by marshac