How important is scripture study?

Traveler

Science is a wonderful thing. But there is no salvation in culture or science. What is the most lovely, of good report and the most praiseworthy goal? Why do we not seek after it?

D&C 84:54 And your minds in times past have been darkened because of unbelief, and because you have treated lightly the things you have received—

How important scripture study is indeed.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Studying the scriptures is very important. In fact, studying the scriptures is necessary for us to completely understand God and his desires for us. When I diligently and consistently study the scriptures it invariably draws me closer to Heavenly Father. It teaches me of his ways. It allows me to see examples of how I should react when faced with a given situation. I have received inspiration on how to act, what to say, what to do, and how to be about things that are relevant to me today. It invites the Spirit in to my life and this allows me to receive revelation to guide my decisions and to better understand his word.

Respectfully,

Finrock

Science is a wonderful thing. But there is no salvation in culture or science. What is the most lovely, of good report and the most praiseworthy goal? Why do we not seek after it?

D&C 84:54 And your minds in times past have been darkened because of unbelief, and because you have treated lightly the things you have received—

I thought the reason for study was to learn to do. Or as one of my scientific friends said - you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him think.

(for this is life eternal to know thee the only true G-d and Jesus Christ" How can anyone appriciate and love G-d and not want to understand (study) his works? The article of faith does not say to seek only the most praseworthy, it says anything praseworthy.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

Studying the scriptures is very important. In fact, studying the scriptures is necessary for us to completely understand God and his desires for us. When I diligently and consistently study the scriptures it invariably draws me closer to Heavenly Father. It teaches me of his ways. It allows me to see examples of how I should react when faced with a given situation. I have received inspiration on how to act, what to say, what to do, and how to be about things that are relevant to me today. It invites the Spirit in to my life and this allows me to receive revelation to guide my decisions and to better understand his word.

Respectfully,

Finrock

did not Jesus say that if we will do; we will know if his teachings is of G-d. I do not recall him saying if we study his teachings we will know. The purpose of study is to try his word - to do. If all the study does not change what we do - all the study - every bit of it - was in vein.

The Traveler

Articles of Faith? "If there is anything virtuous, lovey, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."

Leaving science to those that are expert in the study of science is worse than leaving scripture to those studied ancient cultures and language?

Why do we accept experts in scriptures and discount those expert in science? Should LDS not study science.

The Traveler

Understand that Faith has everything to do with our Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost. I'm saying that science is not part of those three major elements of the plan of salvation, what does science contribute towards the LDS faith? what does science contribute to faith in general? As we study the scriptures and ,I'm talking about we as in ordinary people, we become enlightened with Jesus Christ light. I do not know any science that has contributed to that in the LDS faith. Everything that I have learned about the savior has been from scripture studies and ordained saints who are conveying their callings or duties in the church.

Faith is not a perfect knowledge!! Science is about obtaining a perfect knowledge or study in something (in my opinion).

Alma 32:21-22

21. And now as I said concerning faith---faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true.

22. And now, behold, I say unto you, and I would that ye should remember, that God is merciful unto all who believe on his name; therfore he desireth, in the first place, that ye should believe, yea, even on his word.

There is a difference between bishops, visiting teachers, and ordained saints in church who are called upon compared to scholars, intellects, and even gentiles. The difference is that those called upon in church teaches through the spirit, whereas scholars, intellects and even gentiles teaches from scripts, historical references. When one reads the scriptures they are studying to exercise their individual faith instead of leaving it dormant when studying subset subjects such as politics, science, and economic trends.

Alma 32:34-36

34. And now, behold is your knowledge perfect? Yea, your knowledge is perfect in that thing, and your faith is dormant; and this because you know, for ye know that the word hath swelled your souls, and ye also know that it hath sprouted up, that your understanding doth begin to be enlightened, and your mind doth begin to expand.

35. O then, is not this real? I say unto you, Yea, because it is light; and whatsoever is light, is good, because it is discernable, therefore ye must know that it is good; and now behold, after ye have tasted this light is your knowledge perfect?

36. Behold I say unto you, Nay; neither must ye lay aside your faith, for ye have only exercised your faith to plant the seed that ye might try the experiment to know if the seed was good.

Is science the perfect knowledge in a thing leaving faith dormant?

I thought the reason for study was to learn to do. Or as one of my scientific friends said - you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him think.

(for this is life eternal to know thee the only true G-d and Jesus Christ" How can anyone appriciate and love G-d and not want to understand (study) his works? The article of faith does not say to seek only the most praseworthy, it says anything praseworthy.

The Traveler

It is given to us what to do. We have it outlined step by step (vision of tree of life). And yes, anything praiseworthy is worth obtaining, especially what is most praiseworthy.

D&C 101:38 And seek the face of the Lord always, that in patience ye may possess your souls, and ye shall have eternal life.

For this very reason are we shown the way; the gate; the path; the iron rod; the tree of life, even the fountain of living waters (Christ). We exercise faith by repenting of all our sins and becoming baptized and then becoming endowed with keys such as the gift of the Holy Ghost and we are also given the greater priesthood, sacred tokens, we are clothed in righteousness until we finally knock and it is opened. All these things are familiar to most faithful LDS, but most may not realize that these are only the means to an end. They are all not keys to hang on a wall of honor to say, "it is finished." They are keys that open real doors. They are what gives us the right and the privilege to approach a very real veil and receive our own real heavenly gift.

Ether 3:13 And when he had said these words, behold, the Lord showed himself unto him, and said: Because thou knowest these things ye are redeemed from the fall; therefore ye are brought back into my presence; therefore I show myself unto you.

The brother of Jared was shown the vision of all things, as was Lehi, Moses, Abraham and many others. This "endowment" makes the scriptures obsolete in a sense because we have obtained the fullness, even of knowledge. A careful study of the book of Enos and Jacob 5 tells us what Lehi desired. The brother of Jared was given more than one gift. Solomon was given wisdom; Enoch, translation; Moses, translation; The Nephite disciples asked to come speedily to heaven, the three Nephites were given much more as was John the Beloved. The list goes on.

For those who have been through the temple, you literally stand at the veil in this life. What remains?

D&C 93:1 Verily, thus saith the Lord: It shall come to pass that every soul who forsaketh his sins and cometh unto me, and calleth on my name, and obeyeth my voice, and keepeth my commandments, shall see my face and know that I am;

What a wonderful and beautiful promise--a testament of God's true love for not only the great and noble ones, but even to all the least of His children--to find ourselves in a literal embrace with our Savior.

Good afternoon Traveler. I hope you are having a good day. :)

did not Jesus say that if we will do; we will know if his teachings is of G-d. I do not recall him saying if we study his teachings we will know. The purpose of study is to try his word - to do. If all the study does not change what we do - all the study - every bit of it - was in vein.

The Traveler

I not sure I understand what you are implying but studying the scriptures is something that I do and as I've done that I've learned God's mind, will, and desires for my life. When I diligently, prayerfull, and consistently read the scriptures then I am lead to know what to do, what say, and how to act. It's why I diligently, prayerfully, and consistently read and study the scriptures.

It is an absolute fact that God has commanded us to read and study the scriptures. When I do this commandment I have come to know that it is good and of God because it blesses my life. I feel the Spirit. My family is happier. I'm happier. I feel more confident in knowing how to conduct my life. Because of these blessing and other evidences I know that diligently, prayerfully, and consistenly reading the scirptures is good and of God.

If you doubt or haven't experienced this then I invite you to do something: I invite you to diligently, prayerfully, and consistently to study the scriptures so that you too can know that it is a commandment from God and that it is good and that it will immensely bless your life.

May God bless you in your diligent efforts to obey his commandments.

Respectfully,

Finrock