First Talk

Leah

I have been asked to give a talk in sacrament meeting and I think I am having first-timer's panic/brain block.

I really do not like speaking in public. Really. Haven't done it in years. So part of me is terrified. A big part.

But part of me is excited. I'm not sure why, though.

I am getting down to crunch time and need to get this written. I have had moments of inspiration here and there, and jotted notes as that inspiration comes to me.

But to turn it into an actual "talk"? One that is coherent? One that won't have everyone rolling their eyes and looking at their watches?

I am also worried about committing some sort of first-timer's faux paus.

At this stage in my attempts at writing, I am guessing I no longer have to worry about being one of those who goes on and on and far exceeds their time allotted....but I am beginning to worry that I will never pull this together!

Any advice for a first-timer?

Here is something that works well for me. I simply start writing the talk. I don't worry if it sound great or if the words are exactly what I will finally say. I simply write. I find that after I have written my thoughts, ideas about how to format the talk start to come.

Time management issues are probably one of the most commonly easily avoidable talk 'offense'. There are a couple ways to help deal with it, the simplest is probably to read your talk aloud to yourself with a timer/stop watch. Just give yourself some wiggle room due to changes in cadence due to nervousness. Some people speak fast and some people speak slow. If you're a minute or two off it's not a big deal (assuming it's not a 2 minute time slot to begin with), but when you go 10 minutes over or under it's a bit of a problem as you rob time from or put someone else on the spot.

What is the most easily avoidable talk offense? Blaming the Bishopric for your talk.

One last thought that can help streamline things, include any scriptures or quotes you want to share in the talk itself (as in your printed version), don't just put a scripture or ensign reference with the idea you'll flip to it when the time comes. It's just one more thing that can go wrong, it's a Murphy's Law kind of thing.

Edited by Dravin

Here is something that works well for me. I simply start writing the talk. I don't worry if it sound great or if the words are exactly what I will finally say. I simply write. I find that after I have written my thoughts, ideas about how to format the talk start to come.

Great advice!

After procrastinating this afternoon, I simply sat down and started writing. There is definitely some polishing to be done, and more to add - including scripture and GA references - but it is starting to come together.

I am just a little panic-stricken still, as I really wanted to finish it this weekend because I am moving the day before I give the talk, and so don't have much time to prepare the talk. I thought about asking if I could put it off a few weeks, but didn't feel right about that.

At the moment, I am more nervous about getting it written than I am about giving it!

Time management issues are probably one of the most commonly easily avoidable talk 'offense'. There are a couple ways to help deal with it, the simplest is probably to read your talk aloud to yourself with a timer/stop watch. Just give yourself some wiggle room due to changes in cadence due to nervousness. Some people speak fast and some people speak slow. If you're a minute or two off it's not a big deal (assuming it's not a 2 minute time slot to begin with), but when you go 10 minutes over or under it's a bit of a problem as you rob time from or put someone else on the spot.

What is the most easily avoidable talk offense? Blaming the Bishopric for your talk.

One last thought that can help streamline things, include any scriptures or quotes you want to share in the talk itself (as in your printed version), don't just put a scripture or ensign reference with the idea you'll flip to it when the time comes. It's just one more thing that can go wrong, it's a Murphy's Law kind of thing.

Also excellent advice.

I'll never forget the woman who basically took all but a couple of minutes of the last speaker's time, in addition to her own time. It was really awkward. I do not want to be that woman!

I can relate to James12's approach.

I do the same thing. The first step is just GETTING IT OUT and DOWN on paper. Don't worry about flow or sounding - just get it out and tangible. Once this is done, then you can go back, and edit or just improv, using bits and pieces as cues while up at the podium.

I really enjoy giving talks- most especially when I am given 2 or more weeks to prepare.

I do read mine though. I start my talk with: I have prepared my talk, pulling quotes, facts and scriptures from various LDS approved sources- yet to keep myself on track, and to not veer into a 30 minute lecture, I will be reading it to you.

I really dislike when the speaker says how the Bishop, or a Counselor assigned the talk. I do, however like when the topic is stated at the beginning. I dislike when the talk is read, word for word from the Ensign or a General Conference Talk.

One year I gave a talk about Mother's on Mother's Day and then the next month gave a talk about Father's on Father's Day.

With each one I talked about mortal mother's & father's rather than Spiritual Mother's and Heavenly Father.

If possible, do not read your talk, it makes me sleepy. Second, personal experiences about the topic (I find members in general love "story time") :P

I totally get what you mean about reading your talk. I practiced this afternoon and - if the nerves don't get to me - I think I strike a good balance between having the general thoughts written down and not just standing there reading it word for word. To me, there is a difference between a "talk" and a speech.

Your advice about personal experiences is encouraging. Generally, in my ward, a convert's first talk includes their conversion story. We are not assigned topics in my ward, but this seems to be a general understanding. So I prayed about it, and thought about the reference in my patriarchal blessing to my conversion and the impact the story would have on people...and that was the direction the words seemed to flow when I sat down to write. Besides, I am far from expert on any topic, but I am "expert" on my own conversion story!

I found it far easier to fill up the time than I thought. I don't know if that is good or bad! :)

I can relate to James12's approach.

I do the same thing. The first step is just GETTING IT OUT and DOWN on paper. Don't worry about flow or sounding - just get it out and tangible. Once this is done, then you can go back, and edit or just improv, using bits and pieces as cues while up at the podium.

Again, excellent advice. I like this approach because it also allows room to be guided by the Spirit on the actual day.