What Is The Lds Stand On Jesus Being Lord?

sharyll

I am wondering what the LDS doctrine teaches about Jesus being Lord. In the evangelical christian church, we are taught that Jesus is savior and lord of someone's life. I am wondering what LDS doctrine teaches about Jesus being Lord over someone's life. I am wondering do you believe that Jesus is king and helps the person to become more like God. I know that the Holy Spirit also helps with it. I am looking for what you believe about Jesus, Heavenly Father and Holy Spirits roles. Anyway takers?

Sharyl

I am wondering what the LDS doctrine teaches about Jesus being Lord. In the evangelical christian church, we are taught that Jesus is savior and lord of someone's life. I am wondering what LDS doctrine teaches about Jesus being Lord over someone's life. I am wondering do you believe that Jesus is king and helps the person to become more like God. I know that the Holy Spirit also helps with it. I am looking for what you believe about Jesus, Heavenly Father and Holy Spirits roles. Anyway takers?

Sharyl

Prior to the fall of Adam and Eve (mankind - the spiritual children of G-d the Father) the scriptures reference the elite of heaven in the plural from of G-ds. After the fall all references of G-d become singular. This is a most important notion for if mankind still had the same access to the same singular G-d before and after the fall - then there really was no fall from grace and no need for a mediator, redeemer or savior; simply because man still had the same access to the same singular G-d before and after the fall.

LDS doctrine supports the notion of the fall and the doctrine that G-d the Father is a G-d, G-d the Son is also a G-d and the Holy Ghost is a G-d and the three G-ds comprise the G-dhead. After the fall of Adam and Eve G-d the son was appointed by G-d the Father as the one and only singular G-d that is the “Mediator” G-d and the one and only “Way” that mankind can come unto G-d the Father. Jesus is the only G-d that man has been able to have relationship since the fall. Jesus is therefore the G-d of the Old Testament and is the G-d of salvation and exaltation (which is the return to everlasting life in the Kingdom of G-d the Father. Because Jesus does “All Things” in the name of G-d the Father (Jesus will from time to time speak in the first person according to divine law which is in the name of G-d the Father). For this reason many Christians have become confused and constructed the very misleading doctrine of the Trinity.

Jesus is both L-rd and King and rightfully holds those titles in the Kingdom of G-d the Father. Many in modern society do not understand “Kingdoms” and Suzerain succession so they are easily mislead by doctrines invented by man and not given by G-d in scripture. For example though the Jews cried out before Pilot “We have no king but Cesar” – Herod was also a king over the Jews under Cesar – But they were not one and the same king.

The Traveler

I am LDS and I believe all LDS believe Jesus Christ is our Lord if and when we accept Him as our Lord.

... I don't say He's my Lord... or the Lord of other LDS... if I... or they... don't do or accept what He tells us... because I... or they... would then be our own Lords... because we'd then be doing our will... not His.

And it is now my goal to do His will ALL the time.

... when I don't... I then repent... and do better.

And the reason I repent is because He tells me to... and if I don't repent He will not be my Lord.

And the reason I want Him to be my Lord is because I know He wants to do what is best for me.

And btw, I also know His will is the will of my Father, and I want to be "at one" with them.

And if I am "one" with them, then I know I am doing my best to do what I know is best for me.

:)

I'm surprised more people haven't jumped all over this one. Everyone's probably busy with Christmas and family this time of year, I know I am.

Years ago before I became LDS, the Christian churches I went to taught the trinity. I never could understand it. Or rather, I didn't believe it. My Father in Heaven asked us to call Him Father because that's what He is. The idea of the "Trinity" seems like a Hindu teaching. Now, that’s my own opinion. I speak only for myself on this. But here's what I believe AND what the lds church teaches;

Our Heavenly Father is the Father of our spirits. His first born spirit was Jehovah. He was so perfect and strong he didn't need any more progression. There were a lot of us that lived together with Him and Jehovah as a family before we came to earth. When we had progressed all we could without bodies, a plan was made for us to come to earth and live in families (like we did in Heaven but smaller & mortal) where we would grow by being tested. Jehovah was the only begotten in the flesh of our Heavenly Father. He could work through the atonement in a way our Father could not. Because of what Jesus did for us it is appropriate to call Him Father.

Our Father, Jesus and The Holy Spirit are, what we call, the Godhead. They function as one, they think as one, but they are 3 separate Beings. That's what's different from the trinity. Their strength and compassion are perfect.

Jesus took on the sins of all mankind and atoned for us. He made it possible for ALL people to be resurrected into eternal bodies, not just the Christians. That’s the part of the atonement that’s FREE. Where we go after the resurrection depends on our love of our Father (or Jesus) and our commitment to His will. That’s the part we do (with His help, of course) we learn of His will with the help of the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost enlightens us and allows us to feel His love. It's wonderful!

You could say Jesus Christ is Lord of individuals when we choose to follow Him. I can't imagine Him not being Lord. His atonement or "at-one-ment" as Ray so aptly calls it, is so far reaching so magnificent, there's just no way for me to comprehend it. It was more than His death; it was more than His suffering. What ever it was changed the universe forever! He is the only Christ that ever has been or ever will be; nothing else is needed.

If we receive a knowledge and of Jesus Christ (by way of the Holy Ghost) and choose not to follow His teachings or love Him, we have to atone for ourselves. That's a long time in hell with no chance of living with Him. Can you imagine how sad that makes Him, knowing how He loves us?

This is kind of funny. My intention was to write something simple. My feeling about Jesus, who He is and what He did and my relationship with Him isn't much different than it was before I joined the lds church. I have protestant relatives and we're all on the same page as far as our understanding of what Jesus means in our lives. Yes, He is King.

...Years ago before I became LDS, the Christian churches I went to taught the trinity. I never could understand it. Or rather, I didn't believe it. My Father in Heaven asked us to call Him Father because that's what He is. The idea of the "Trinity" seems like a Hindu teaching. Now, that’s my own opinion....

Hi Rosewood,

The trinity teaches that God the Father exists. I'm not familiar with Hinduism, could you explain your statement?

Our Father, Jesus and The Holy Spirit are, what we call, the Godhead. They function as one, they think as one, but they are 3 separate Beings. That's what's different from the trinity. Their strength and compassion are perfect.

How is that different than the trinity doctrine? The trinity also says that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are distinct from each other.

...That’s the part of the atonement that’s FREE.

I've always believed the all of the atonement is free.

M.

My understanding of the Trinity is God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit are all one but have three different roles in the God Head They are unified. They are not different beings with a unified purpose. God the Father and God the Spirit do not have bodies where in the LDS doctrine Heavenly Father and Jesus have district bodies. I believe the Holy Spirit doesn't. I hope that is correct.

Sharyl

<div class='quotemain'>

...Years ago before I became LDS, the Christian churches I went to taught the trinity. I never could understand it. Or rather, I didn't believe it. My Father in Heaven asked us to call Him Father because that's what He is. The idea of the "Trinity" seems like a Hindu teaching. Now, that’s my own opinion....

Hi Rosewood,

The trinity teaches that God the Father exists. I'm not familiar with Hinduism, could you explain your statement?

How is that different than the trinity doctrine? The trinity also says that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are distinct from each other.

...That’s the part of the atonement that’s FREE.

I've always believed the all of the atonement is free.

M.

My understanding of the Trinity is God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit are all one but have three different roles in the God Head They are unified. They are not different beings with a unified purpose. God the Father and God the Spirit do not have bodies where in the LDS doctrine Heavenly Father and Jesus have district bodies. I believe the Holy Spirit doesn't. I hope that is correct.

Sharyl

Hi Sharyl,

The Trinity teaches that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit exist as distinct persons but are one God through their divine nature. They are individually God and collectively God and all 3 have always existed as God.

Hope that helps!

M.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, M. Sorry it took so long to respond. I couldn't cut and paste from this site, but it explains what I was talking about. The site is by Hindu's so I assume it's what they believe. It says the gods are all incarnations of one god, just different ways of god expressing himself.

http://www.sanatansociety.org/hindu_gods_and_goddesses.htm

What I was taught by a pastor was that God needed to be mortal so he made himself mortal for this purpose. I'm sure there was more to it; I was a teenager at the time. As an adult I heard the same opinion on a Christian radio station.

Don't get me wrong; I don't believe Christians are like Hindu's! Just that the Trinity describes like it. I don't mean to be offensive to Christians or Hindu's!

My understanding of the Trinity is God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit are all one but have three different roles in the God Head They are unified. They are not different beings with a unified purpose.

Hi Sharyl. You belief is fine, but it's not what the LDS believe. Just so you know, they teach that God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are three different people/beings. Unified in purpose, but not the same essense.

Jason

Jason,

I was stating what evangelical christian teaches about the trinity. I was wondering what LDS believe about the Lordship of Jesus Christ since that is a huge point taught in evangelical christianity.

Sharyl

<div class='quotemain'>

My understanding of the Trinity is God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit are all one but have three different roles in the God Head They are unified. They are not different beings with a unified purpose.

Hi Sharyl. You belief is fine, but it's not what the LDS believe. Just so you know, they teach that God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are three different people/beings. Unified in purpose, but not the same essense.

Jason

Jason,

I was stating what evangelical christian teaches about the trinity. I was wondering what LDS believe about the Lordship of Jesus Christ since that is a huge point taught in evangelical christianity.

Sharyl

The "Lordship" belief is there, but not pushed as heavily as it is in Evangelical circles.

<div class='quotemain'>

The "Lordship" belief is there, but not pushed as heavily as it is in Evangelical circles.

What gives you that impression, Jason?

Personally, I believe it is stressed even more.

We (LDS) do, and teach others to do, everything our Lord tells us to do.

Different understanding of Lordship. It is my experience that Mormons do not view Jesus in the same light as Evangelicals. Mormon understanding is more of an Elder Brother than a Lord.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Different understanding of Lordship. It is my experience that Mormons do not view Jesus in the same light as Evangelicals. Mormon understanding is more of an Elder Brother than a Lord.

The fact that we believe Jesus is our Lord does not detract from our belief he is also our elder brother.

And the fact that we believe that Jesus is our elder brother does not detract from our belief he is our father.

We believe Jesus is the father of everyone who is "born again" through him, as our Savior.

That is a part of what it means to take his name.

And we also believe that each one of our fathers was also a brother in heaven.

Many things are often AND as well as an OR.

Try not to be so limited, Jason. ;)

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

The fact that we believe Jesus is our Lord does not detract from our belief he is also our elder brother.

And the fact that we believe that Jesus is our elder brother does not detract from our belief he is our father.

We believe Jesus is the father of everyone who is "born again" through him, as our Savior.

That is a part of what it means to take his name.

And we also believe that each one of our fathers was also a brother in heaven.

Many things are often AND as well as an OR.

Try not to be so limited, Jason. ;)

Ray, you are the first Mormon I've ever known to describe Jesus as a Father.

Really Jason? As a missionary, you never taught that Jesus is the father of heaven and earth since he created them? Or that we are adopted as his sons and daughters when we're spiritually reborn? I thought those were pretty common beliefs?

Really Jason? As a missionary, you never taught that Jesus is the father of heaven and earth since he created them? Or that we are adopted as his sons and daughters when we're spiritually reborn? I thought those were pretty common beliefs?

Not in those terms. Jesus was taught as teh creater of heaven and earth, but never used the word "father" in connection.

Have seen Jesus take the role of father in some of the D&C, where one talks then another, but never have heard anyone call Jesus "father".