Judging people by their speech.

Sunnysprite

While don't judge is sometimes tossed around with an air of the absolute and unqualified there are kinds of judgement we need to make, Elder Oaks terms them intermediate judgement (versus final judgement). The talk where he makes the distinction: ?Judge Not? and Judging - Ensign Aug. 1999 - ensign. Personally I would say, "This person engages in hateful behavior I don't want to hang around." falls in the latter category.

While don't judge is sometimes tossed around with an air of the absolute and unqualified there are kinds of judgement we need to make, Elder Oaks terms them intermediate judgement (versus final judgement). The talk where he makes the distinction: ?Judge Not? and Judging - Ensign Aug. 1999 - ensign. Personally I would say, "This person engages in hateful behavior I don't want to hang around." falls in the latter category.

Truly, there is a difference between not taking upon yourself the role of Judge of Salvation and making wise choices about the company with which you surround yourself.

In a way we all judge when we meet someone for the first time, it's called "first impressions". Their speech & words are a part of that impression.

There are times I know, almost like a 6th sense, if I can trust that indivdual or if that individual should be avoided. Maybe that is the spirit guiding me, maybe it was just an instinctual response.

We have a retired service dog. It is interesting to watch her & how she responds to people that come around. Some she greets & loves them to pet her while others she is tentative about & a few she shies away from but is ever watchful of their interactions with us.

So often I find my "instinctual" first impression judgements of people mirror her responses to them as well.

We have a retired service dog. It is interesting to watch her & how she responds to people that come around. Some she greets & loves them to pet her while others she is tentative about & a few she shies away from but is ever watchful of their interactions with us.

So often I find my "instinctual" first impression judgements of people mirror her responses to them as well.

Dogs are amazingly perceptive as they're social creatures, it isn't unlikely that she's reading cues from you and responding accordingly.

Dogs are amazingly perceptive as they're social creatures, it isn't unlikely that she's reading cues from you and responding accordingly.

Yes & No.

Sometimes she meets them before I do, especially if they come to the house as she is usually laying around the yard while I'm out dealing with cows or something & after no one answers the door they look around & see me out in the pens.

So it may go both ways ... she reads my cues & I read hers.

We used to own a racist dog. For a rottweiler, he was a well-adjusted dog, barking at whoever showed up, but would accept them after he got their smell and saw how we reacted. He absolutely loved most children, except for the neighbor kids (same race as me) who once threw firecrackers at him. But for whatever reason, he reacted very negatively against folks with, well, to be specific, parentage tending to originate south of the border.

We were embarassed for a long time, wondering exactly what Dravin mentioned. Could he be reading this off of us? I think it was coming from him, not us. We had a friend over that he went after, and at that point it dawned on me this friend (who was 3rd generation American, no hint of accent) had roots in Argentina.

To this day I can't explain why. He was certainly not a mormon dog - didn't wear a suit on Sunday, never got baptised, wouldn't even take the discussions. He would say prayers with us, but I don't think he would close his eyes. Maybe that was it.

Analasys of speech and body language says a lot about some one if you know what to look for. In law enforcement, it is used to discern a law abiding citizen to some one who may be overly evasive when asked various questions. I have been scammed before so now know what to look for.

I get scammed constantly, so maybe I should take the class. :) No wonder I get ignored at the airport.

What do you mean by hate speech?

If I hear a friend say - I cannot stand my neighbor! He's no better than a maggot! Then yes, I probably won't be friends with the guy too long unless it was just one incident of frustration and not his everyday manner of speech.

If I hear someone say - I can't believe you're a Mormon! Mormons aren't Christians! - then I'm okay with it because it is merely that he doesn't understand Mormonism.

Analasys of speech and body language says a lot about some one if you know what to look for. In law enforcement, it is used to discern a law abiding citizen to some one who may be overly evasive when asked various questions. I have been scammed before so now know what to look for.

There are actual studies in the U.S. that showed when people called a landlord about renting an apartment, certain minority speach dialects were frequently told the apartment had been rented while someone who "sounded white" would be schedueled to come look at the apartment. All based on speech patterns & tones.

What do you mean by hate speech?

If I hear a friend say - I cannot stand my neighbor! He's no better than a maggot! Then yes, I probably won't be friends with the guy too long unless it was just one incident of frustration and not his everyday manner of speech.

If I hear someone say - I can't believe you're a Mormon! Mormons aren't Christians! - then I'm okay with it because it is merely that he doesn't understand Mormonism.

To me, hate speech is anything about race, religion or nationality. Though I won't usually let a challenge about Mormonism pass. So, far Heavenly Father has helped it stay away from an argument and simply be an informative conversation. Polygamy, Jesus Christ, and being like Heavenly Father seem to be the most frequent areas I encounter. It is best not to be defensive about these things. And if they get too heated, it is best to drop it.