Polygamy in the afterlife?

BusyB

1 hour ago, TurboGirl said:

Back in the day women were basically cattle, ... People and society have evolved.

Society evolving is not the same as God evolving, mixing the two doesn't work. God has a consistent plan and intended order of things. If society treated women like cattle, it was not at the order of God. 

The Honored Place of Woman: Elder Ezra Taft Benson

"In the beginning, God placed a woman in a companion role with the priesthood. God said, “It was not good that the man should be alone; wherefore, I will make an help meet for him.” (Moses 3:18.) Woman was given to man as an helpmeet. That complementary association is ideally portrayed in the eternal marriage of our first parents—Adam and Eve. They labored together; they had children together; they prayed together; and they taught their children the gospel together. This is the pattern God would have all righteous men and women imitate."

6 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

Gordon B Hinckley condemned it on Larry King Live back in 1998. 

Bull @Zarahemla. Condemning the unlawful (not commanded by God) practice of polygamy is not the same a condemning the lawful practice of it. You are crossing your wires yet again on this subject and taking things out of context. 

13 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

The modern prophets denounce polygamy like it's the plague. Gordon B Hinckley condemned it on Larry King Live back in 1998. Then again Russell M Nelson and Dallin H Oaks are sealed to multiple women.

And the Book of Mormon has condemned it too! When the Lord commands that it is practiced then it is acceptable; otherwise it is not.  This isn't a hard concept. Since 1910, the Lord has banned the practice of polygamy and therefor it is condemned.  At some point in the future, the practice may be re- instituted.  This is why we believe in Living Prophets, i.e. a man who has the authority to be God's mouthpiece on the Earth. If God commands it to be practiced, then it will be so, otherwise not.

27 Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none; 28 For I, the Lord God, delight in the chastity of women. And whoredoms are an abomination before me; thus saith the Lord of Hosts. 29 Wherefore, this people shall keep my commandments, saith the Lord of Hosts, or cursed be the land for their sakes. 30 For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these thing

Edited by yjacket

7 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

Bull @Zarahemla. Condemning the unlawful (not commanded by God) practice of polygamy is not the same a condemning the lawful practice of it. You are crossing your wires yet again on this subject and taking things out of context. 

Ok so what is really the stance on plural marriage?

4 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

You have been through how many threads, how many posts on this subject here with us all... you tell me what the stance is. Please don't cop-out and say you don't know. 

6 minutes ago, yjacket said:

And the Book of Mormon has condemned it too! When the Lord commands that it is practiced then it is acceptable; otherwise it is not.  This isn't a hard concept. Since 1910, the Lord has banned the practice of polygamy and therefor it is condemned.  At some point in the future, the practice may be re- instituted.  This is why we believe in Living Prophets, i.e. a man whom has the authority to be God's mouthpiece on the Earth. If God commands it to be practiced, then it will be so, otherwise not.

27 Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none; 28 For I, the Lord God, delight in the chastity of women. And whoredoms are an abomination before me; thus saith the Lord of Hosts. 29 Wherefore, this people shall keep my commandments, saith the Lord of Hosts, or cursed be the land for their sakes. 30 For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these thing

You said it's been condemned since 1910 but 2 apostles are sealed to 2 women right now. So was Howard W Hunter,  Harold B Lee and Joseph Fielding Smith.

The stance is that God has commanded the practice in the past; when he has done so through His authorized representative on the Earth then we are to obey that commandment and it is moral, just and right to practice it. If it is not authorized then we are to not practice it and doing so is grounds for excommunication from the Church.

Why would God command it to be practiced at one point in time and not in another? I don't know, for that answer, you'll have to ask Him.

5 minutes ago, yjacket said:

The stance is that God has commanded the practice in the past; when he has done so through His authorized representative on the Earth then we are to obey that commandment and it is moral, just and right to practice it. If it is not authorized then we are to not practice it and doing so is grounds for excommunication from the Church.

Why would God command it to be practiced at one point in time and not in another? I don't know, for that answer, you'll have to ask Him.

I dislike the inconsistencies of the allowance.

You said it's been condemned since 1910 but 2 apostles are sealed to 2 women right now. So was Howard W Hunter,  Harold B Lee and Joseph Fielding Smith.

??? My apologies, generally speaking when we talk of polygamy being banned we refer to the physical act of being married simultaneously to more than 1 living woman.

5 minutes ago, yjacket said:

??? My apologies, generally speaking when we talk of polygamy being banned we refer to the physical act of being married simultaneously to more than 1 living woman.

When I talk of polygamy I talk also of multiple eternal companions in the eternities.

I dislike the inconsistencies of the allowance.

Get used to it; life is full of inconsistencies.  

Take the Word of Wisdom; JS drank beer, most of the members of the Church in the 1800 drank, smoked, swore, etc. (they were pretty uncouth and "vulgar" -vulgar as in people of the lower class). It was perfectly acceptable to be a member in good standing go to the temple and drink.  In the early 1900s that changed and it became 100% unacceptable to be a member in good standing and drink/smoke/etc.

Why is that? Again you'll have to ask God.

10 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

you tell me what the stance is.

5 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

When I talk of polygamy I talk also of multiple eternal companions in the eternities.

So... what is the stance then?

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, yjacket said:

Get used to it; life is full of inconsistencies.  

Isn't that the truth? 

Life is not only full of inconsistencies-it's full of things that you, me and @yjacket will never understand. You need to accept that no matter how bright you are, there are things out of your control and that you will never fully grasp. 

10 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

You have been through how many threads, how many posts on this subject here with us all... you tell me what the stance is. Please don't cop-out and say you don't know. 

I think it's ok and either everyone will have a chance for plural marriage who is worthy in the Millennium or no one will. I believe I will personally have plural wives in the Celestial Kingdom. Sometime before now and final judgment and assigning to a kingdom I believe if I'm worthy I will be sealed to multiple women just like Joseph Smith.

56 minutes ago, TurboGirl said:

Back in the day women were basically cattle, And a man needed as many children as he could get it just to survive and work his fields. Women had absolutely no rights back then, and could not even survive without her father or her husband and today we know this treatment of women is wrong that women can carry their own wait and make their own decisions. Even the New Testament cancels out that of the Old Testament. Just because something that far in the past seemed like the right thing to do we now know with better education that it was not the right thing to do. People and society have evolved.

This sentiment intrigues me as modern knowledge seeks to interpret history without knowing all the facts. Sariah, Abrahams wife, doesn't appear to be women without rights and it doesn't appear she was treated like cattle. The statement appears to make a sweeping generalization that didn't exist among all cultures and among all people, and also then seeks to indicate that all men who practiced polygamy were treating women like cattle --which is false. 

As Christians, the words we use are very important pertaining to scripture, and also in light of this being a LDS Gospel Discussion. The New Testament didn't "cancel" the Old Testament. The New Testament fulfilled the Law of Moses (Schoolmaster), which was to prepare the Children of Israel for the higher law. This higher law was already given with Adam, Noah, Enoch, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, and so on until Moses. The Children of Israel showed they could not live the higher law after so many years of slavery, thus a "Schoolmaster" was given.

The last statement again makes a sweeping generalization of all practices, which you include polygamy which is false. 

6 hours ago, TurboGirl said:

and have talked to my heavenly father about the issues I've been having with my father being sealed to two women. And I just keep getting the answer thar polygamy is wrong, it's always been wrong, and it will always be wrong. We are all equal in our Heavenly Father's Eyes so why would He only asked His female children to live all of eternity with only half a spouse or even less than half an early Mormon Prophets days.

I wonder the type of cognitive dissonance you experience when reading the Bible where God indeed commanded and approved of polygamy. We are all equal, the definition of equality may not mean what you think it means. We know God commanded it. We know God does all things which are good, not wrong. If I were to accept your definition and your answer then God would become a liar and would no longer be perfect, as he commanded his daughters and sons to do something wrong. 

Hagar, Abrahams second wife, was given to him by the Lord through Sarai. A Biblical story that I have sought to understand more is Hagar's experience after being mistreated by Sarai and Hagar flees. An angel from the Lord commands Hagar to go back submit herself unto Sarai, implying also that she would continue to be Abram's second wife. If polygamy was wrong now, and wrong then (although it wasn't/isn't in these scenarios) why would God command her to return? God is good, and when commanded by God to practice polygamy is good also, as all things which come from God are good. To say anything less would mean we are listening to the wrong spirit, unless we tread on that dangerous ground in calling God, not good.

Guest MormonGator

I think it's ok and either everyone will have a chance for plural marriage who is worthy in the Millennium or no one will. I believe I will personally have plural wives in the Celestial Kingdom. Sometime before now and final judgment and assigning to a kingdom I believe if I'm worthy I will be sealed to multiple women just like Joseph Smith.

You need to focus more on getting there than what will happen there. 

4 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Life is not only full of inconsistencies.

Oddly enough, I have found that being a parent with multiple children, I've learned to understand more the inconsistencies of life. I have to parent one child completely different than another child-from the tone of voice, to the discipline I use to the way I treat them.  I love them all equally but they could say, "dad yo u are so inconsistent!" Maybe, but I have a goal in mind of what I want my kids to be as adults so in order to teach them those principles sometimes they each require different tactics b/c each one has different areas that need focus.

One child needs work on being a harder worker, one child needs work on standing up for them-self, etc. It's not that I'm inconsistent it's that I'm using different tactics for each child so they can realize their full potential. 

Is that the stance according to Zarahemla OR is that what you believe the Church's stance is?

6 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

Is that the stance according to Zarahemla OR is that what you believe the Church's stance is?

It's the answer I got when I prayed about it in the Celestial room of the temple and had my Stake President give me a priesthood blessing after speaking with him on the subject.

It's the answer I got when I prayed about it in the Celestial room of the temple and had my Stake President give me a priesthood blessing after speaking with him on the subject.

24 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

So who's stance are you inquiring about then? 

24 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

7 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

The prophets. I got the Lord's stance and God's through a priesthood blessing by my SP. So I look forward to the Celestial Kingdom if Im worthy enough to make it there. The key is love though, not just lust for more sex. It's about opening yourself up for more love.

17 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

Zarahemla, if we were to take one principle, one doctrine, that is primary to every other doctrine the doctrine/principle would be "Agency." Us men are in an intriguing position with regards to our companion and the afterlife. I believe in the principle once shared with me, "God will not force a woman to stay with a man she doesn't want to for the eternities." Imagine being that man in that position after the resurrection and during judgement. 

Will God force then any woman to live polygamy, assuming polygamy is a part of the eternities? No, this would go against "agency" which God has given us. 

Part of the gospel is to make a stand, like you have regarding a belief. The most important part though are we humble enough to change when truth is received? This is why I am intrigued by members enmity toward possible truths. If true, and is good, why would we reject it? If not true, which is also good, why would we reject it if we love truth? Jesus is the way, "the truth", and life. To become like Christ means we are willing to accept all truth, even truth which current we detest. Either way, if we move forward trusting in God we will never be lead astray with any man made doctrine and that is a comforting truth.