Wwad? (what Would The Amish Do?)

Jason

Friends,

In my various internet journeys, I have discovered that a large portion of "Christians" are overjoyed at the execution of Saddam Hussein. Their blood-lust and condemnation made me reflect a bit on the scripture:

"Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also." (St. Matt 5:38-39.)

This reminded me of the Amish school shooting here in the US last October. Here's a clip of what Im talking about:

"(CBS/AP) In just about any other community, a deadly school shooting would have brought demands from civic leaders for tighter gun laws and better security, and the victims' loved ones would have lashed out at the gunman's family or threatened to sue.

But that's not the Amish way.

As they struggle with the slayings of five of their children in a one-room schoolhouse, the Amish in this Lancaster County village are turning the other cheek, urging forgiveness of the killer and quietly accepting what comes their way as God's will.

"They know their children are going to heaven. They know their children are innocent ... and they know that they will join them in death," said Gertrude Huntington, a Michigan researcher and expert on children in Amish society.

"The hurt is very great," Huntington said. "But they don't balance the hurt with hate." http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/04/...in2059816.shtml

In a world where every Christian decides what is and is not Christ-like behavior, perhaps it would be better to ask the question: What would the Amish do?

Saddam did not sin against the Christians as the Amish killer did against the Amish. He sinned against the Iraqi people (and many others), and the Iraqis decided he should be executed for it.

They had the right to make that choice, and I support them in it. I've met too many people who lost family members and body parts to Saddam.

Jason, I'm usually 'iffy' about the death penalty... can't really make up my mind. But if ever there was a person that deserved it, it is him. He has brutally killed and ruined the lives of so many and doesn't deserve the air he breathes. As Outshined said, this was not our (Americans) decision, but I definitely support them in it. They are the ones whose country was crap for so long because of him.

Wasn't there a big difference in intent between the two? Can't that play a part?

Also in the case of the Amish what good would come out of punishing the family because of the actions of the loved one? The killer was already dead.

Sadamm was pure evil. His autrocities were so huge and this man showed no remorse. He paid for his own transgression.

The killer of the amish, though his acts were evil was the act of a tormented soul something that Sadam didn't exhibit. He never really exhibited a conflicted soul nor remorse.

Would Sadamm have ever repented? I can't help but think that there is that point of no return where your soul becomes so hardened and evil there is no going back. This man was evil. I personally know quite well some who suffered immensely because of him. He just didn't lose it one day and kill someone. This man had a great evil history of torture.

If his heart was so hardened, could this not be an act of deliverance for the victims to not have to worry about him ever hurting anyone again? Because chances are he would.

As far as the death penalty isn't it a merciful act for the killer? How can you really repent of such evil actions? Won't he either be racked with enormous grief or do it again?

As far as the scripture verse you quoted couldn't that be where continued revelation comes in to play. To help give wisdom and direction in each individual circumstance?

As Outshined pointed out, you're applying christian standards to Iraqi people, primarily Islamic, who chose to have him executed after review of the evidence.

I know a little what it feels like to want justice for a loved one, for someone to even admit that they are wrong. When that doesn't happen resentment builds.

This is still a very valid point.

"As Outshined pointed out, you're applying christian standards to Iraqi people, primarily Islamic, who chose to have him executed after review of the evidence."

I am ashamed of all of you. I honestly expected better.

Good bye.

You're right, Jason. Really we should open our hearts and our homes to Saddam. He didn't really mean any of it. He was a good man and I'm sure if he were to be spared he wouldn't kill again. Too bad I can't have him over for dinner now. :blink:

Maybe you could accompany Outshined when he goes back to Iraq so you can get out of your dream world.

Friends,

In my various internet journeys, I have discovered that a large portion of "Christians" are overjoyed at the execution of Saddam Hussein. Their blood-lust and condemnation ...

Just to note that me thinks many, if not most, of those who rejoice in the justice of Sadam's execution, are not giddy about the matter. There is no lust for blood, no lynch-mob mentality. Rather, there is a sober recognition that heinous murder must needs be answered. It is ironically "pro-life" to say that the state has the duty to execute those who blatantly devalue human life for their own wicked entertainment or power mongering.

My reading of the New Testament calls me to forgo my own rights, to further the gospel. Yet, Romans 13 informs us that God ordains for the state to exercise justice. It does not wield the sword for nothing. So, we are called to live soberly, and without blame.

I am ashamed of all of you.

Really? It shocks you to the point of casting shame down upon us because we disagree with you concerning the execution of Sadam Hussein? :o

I honestly expected better.

I hate to 2nd-guess, but since you were LDS for a season, and know the cultural-political milueu of the movement, I find it hard to believe you're being totally straightforward in your surpirse at these responses.

Good bye.

IMHO, Jason has employed the "dump and run" technique to this post. :rolleyes:

"As Outshined pointed out, you're applying Christian standards to Iraqi people, primarily Islamic, who chose to have him executed after review of the evidence."

OK what is the difference between Islamic and Christians in Gods eyes :hmmm:

I did not know God felt different about some of his children who were born in a primarily one part of the world then others :hmmm:

I think why this is such a hot button issue is because very few of us have ever seen someone walked to the gallows :ph34r: before and it disturbed our spirits.

Think about it :hmmm:

I know it disturbed my household and the news was not watch for few days. Once was enough and that I turned off.

Disturbing Vary Disturbing

"As Outshined pointed out, you're applying Christian standards to Iraqi people, primarily Islamic, who chose to have him executed after review of the evidence."

I did not know God felt different about some of his children who were born in a primarily one part of the world then others :hmmm:

I think why this is such a hot button issue is because very few of us have ever seen someone walked to the gallows :ph34r: before and it disturbed our spirits.

Think about it :hmmm:

I know it disturbed my household and the news was not watch for few days. Once was enough and that I turned off.

Disturbing Vary Disturbing

Christians used to take their kids to watch the public executions. Guess it depends on one's culture. Again, watching Saddam take the plunge was a lot less disturbing than watching his supporters slice the heads off innocent hostages in their recruitment videos. If you want to know "disturbing" go over to radio commentator Mike Savage's website and click on some of the Islamofascist links. Now that's disturbing.

I think you missed the point; it's not about how God feels about it; that wasn't even mentioned. It's about how the beliefs are different. In Islamic culture, capital punishment is rather common, and is an accepted punishment, espaecially for murder. To ask the Iraqis to feel bad about Saddam's death is unrealistic, as is asking us to feel bad about it. We haven't sudffered at his hands, so it isn't our place to determine his punishment or condemne them for it.

Yes it is common occurrence to them but my point is to us and how we interpret them is a chance to take the higher road and ask our self’s WWJD and show them a civil world to live in.

They live in the dark ages so to speak if they know no other way then way bother?

If pulling them out of their Dark Age thinking is futile then carpet bomb them and get it over with, like some would suggest.

I mean why are we over there then? To kill the terrorists that might come after us again?

That’s just a waste of time if we cant show them a better way to THINK then the next generation terrorist are just warming up in their schools and homes.

We can not win this with out showing them a better way. :hmmm::idea:

You can explain to them how you would do it, but you can't tell them that they have to do it your way. There was no other way they were going to deal with him; the only question was how he would die.

I've read that most Iraqis wanted him drawn and quartered in public; hanging was much more humane.

I get your point, though; Americans shouldn't celebrate his death.