Where do you live?

Misshalfway

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in California, God's true country.

Great weather, beaches, snow in the mountains (if you really really need 4 seasons), and people are generally the same everywhere IMHO. We have both good and bad.

Like Washington State the politics are lefty in the cities, but in the rural counties (the majority of the land area!) where I live they're not. For lefties among you it could be paradise. Nancy Polosi lives here! And Harry Reid is the Senator in the next state!

Only downside: Taxes are very high, and the State is technically bankrupt supporting lefty ideas.

Edited by mrmarklin

Guest michelleschneiter

We lived in Portland, Oregon for years and LOVED it. There are a decent number of members there--I think the LDS church is the second largest membership-wise in the state. It's stunningly gorgeous, especially on the western half where it is emerald green with towering mountains, waterfalls, skiing and an unforgettable coastline. Portland has a very fun vibe, rather eclectic and teetering between large city with a small city feel. It is politically liberal, but I grew up in Salt Lake City and found it refreshing to live somewhere that was ideologically different. The LDS community is very strong there and tight-knit. You may appreciate that not everyone you go to church with votes the same or has the same ideas about things. I certainly did.

We lived in Santa Barbara for four years and if you can afford it and find a job there, I'd highly recommend it. First, it's gorgeous and makes you feel like you are on vacation 24/7 while living there. Second, the wards are robust, which is unusual for small town.

We live in LA now and haven't found a very tight-knit LDS community here yet. We lived in Santa Monica for a while, where the turn-over rate was almost 50% of our ward annually. Now we live in the valley where the wards are small and the primaries aren't large either. We are thinking about moving once again, but my husband works at UCLA and commutes by bike, so we are limited. Good luck to you!

Well, I live in a fairly nice area, I think. The ward is growing so fast I think we will soon be a stake. Very importantly the unemplyment rate is 3%.

LDS are still a minority, there are mostly Baptists, but they are much more friendly toward Mormons now as the entire state will be voting Republican on Tuesday evidently.

If you want to know exactly where I am, you can PM me. We have had a ton of families move in from Utah and Cal lately who gain employment here. Growing growing growing.