FHE: God Creates - Satan Imitates

Anddenex

So for our FHE lesson tonight, our lesson covered the idea that God creates, and Satan imitates.

For treats, yes, you might have guessed it... instead of caramel apples, they had the wonderful imitation of caramel onions.

Our oldest, as usual, was so excited he quickly took a huge bite thinking of the sweet savor of the caramel and apple.

To his disappointed he laments, "This is not an apple, this is an onion. No you didn't! And then he ran over to mom while we are both laughing and tackles her. Then gets up and runs to the bathroom, "I need to get this taste out of my mouth."

While he is running to the bathroom mom says, "Satan imitates." :D

Sounds like a great lesson. Great idea with the onion. Though I would have been upset. I just LOVE caramel apples. :)

Yes, indeed, I don't think as a child I would have handled it without being upset either. It is a good thing our children take after their mom more than their dad. ;)

Where was the warning? Or is the idea he shouldn't be so quick to jump to the conclusion it was an apple and have given it a sniff or other examination first? Personally, I think that Satan imitates is but half a lesson, the second half is how you can know which is which.

Where was the warning? Or is the idea he shouldn't be so quick to jump to the conclusion it was an apple and have given it a sniff or other examination first? Personally, I think that Satan imitates is but half a lesson, the second half is how you can know which is which.

I would agree Dravin. I didn't think it appropriate to explain a 30 minute lesson on this Forum, thus only shared the funny moment at the end of the lesson.

This morning my son woke up and said, "Dad, I still can taste the onion." Ha.

One of our other sons, actually turned the caramel apple so that the bottom was facing up, and he noticed the caramel apple, wasn't an apple, and looked at us and said, "This is an onion, I am not eating it."

And we should all keep that ' taste' when we are decieved by the adversary.

Out of the mouths of babes...

Sounds like it was a good lesson, can you share a little more?

Yes, remembering the taste can definitely help us not to want to taste it again.

The lesson began with the quote, "God creates, and Satan imitates." We verified with the children if they understood what it meant by "imitate." We clarified the definition with the children who didn't understand.

We discussed how Satan is able to make something bad look good. We discussed how we need to be able to discern the truth, and possible ways, to discern truth:

1. What do the scriptures say? We then discussed the importance of knowing scripture, because Satan will even use scripture to deceive people. If you know scripture, then he can't deceive you, but if you are not studied, then he can.

2. We discussed how Satan has appeared to some as an Angel of light, and how he imitates God. We discussed ways in scripture that specify how we are able to be protected from this imitation.

The children had different questions, and I don't remember their questions right now, but we answered them.

Then we allowed the caramel onions to sink the lesson in. What they saw was sweet, but what they actually tasted was bitter.

Please tell me you had real caramel apples stashed on top of the fridge for after the object lesson?

The second part of the lesson was dealing with the inevitable bitter disappointment caused by unrealistic expectations.

Please tell me you had real caramel apples stashed on top of the fridge for after the object lesson?

Yes, of course there was real caramel apples ready for them to eat, after they tasted the bitter.

I am a mean Dad, but not that mean. ;)

I just might have to borrow this ....

I can't (or won't) do "real" lesson, not even in Priesthood. FHE or anything else church has to be an object lesson.

"Real" lessons are okay though they generally lead to some sort of serious testimony at which point I can no longer talk .... So I keep things a little lighter with object lessons.