Loud Laughter

pam

I made an attempt to help readers understand the covenant associated with the statement to avoid laud laughter and evil speaking of the L-rd's anointed. Rather than pursue that thought let me bring up another perhaps chilling thought - not just about laud laughter but any laughter.

I have pointed out before the incredible power imbedded in humor and laughter. Joseph Goebbles - Hitler's propaganda minister and recognized expert in mass brain washing techniques stated that anything a person will laugh at they will believe and embrace.

As we decide what entertainment we will endure as part of our modern culture heritage we are in essence submitting ourselves to forces greater than even subliminal propaganda. What we find funny actually will define us. So go a head and have a "good" laugh.

The Traveler

Maybe a definition of "loud" laughter would be anything above the point at which it would be hard to feel and listen to the spirit. Humor is used all the time in conference talks etc. It can be a unifying and positive thing. But if it is something that detracts from spiritual influences then, obviously, that is "loud" and not good.

Maybe a definition of "loud" laughter would be anything above the point at which it would be hard to feel and listen to the spirit. Humor is used all the time in conference talks etc. It can be a unifying and positive thing. But if it is something that detracts from spiritual influences then, obviously, that is "loud" and not good.

As stated previously by me and others - I think that what we laugh at, regardless of a hard belly laugh or a tiny tee hee, will invite and welcome one spirit or another into the inter-most chambers of our most personal emotions.

The Traveler

Anybody heard of laughing yoga? If not, you should check it out on youtube. It is so great! You can't help but improve your well-being by doing it. Even Hinckley famously said to "live well, laugh often, and love much."

There is nothing inherently evil or wrong about strongly audible laughter. I think Skippy740 was on the right path by looking at alternative definitions of the word "loud".

Edited by Marlin1

Does anyone else have this problem? Sometimes when in deep discussions (arguments) with my wife - I start to realize how ridiculous we have become. Not so much that we want to solve anything as much as not give on our position. And I cannot help myself and I start to laugh.

Often this happens when I realize my wife has a point and I am trying to bow out gracefully but she want to make sure I understand so she makes her position arguments stronger. And so I laugh. It really is funny. At least to me. Sometimes I will say "You are right honey - I am sorry." Then she says something like "You know I'm right and you should be sorry." Yah! that is what I just said and now she has to say it to win an extra point or something and it just hits me as very funny.

Sometime I only start to smirk a little so I turn away because I know this ticks her off so she will say something like "Don't turn away from me - I'm not done yet" And it just cracks me up. And then the worst of all she will say, "Quit laughing at me!" So I quit laughing and then she says, "You are still laughing on the inside arn't you?" Then I think - can't we go back to arguing about what was ticking us both off - then I could quit laughing but that thought makes me laugh thinking about it. I could go on but to me it all just gets funnier and more laughable.

If anyone else has had this happen and has found a solution - and would share it - I could really use the help. But please do not get upset if I laugh a little at your idea. You know --- It would be really great if the atonement would cover the damage we do laughing. Sometimes I wonder if G-d himself is not laughing a little at the mess I get myself into sometimes.

The Traveler

Does anyone else have this problem? Sometimes when in deep discussions (arguments) with my wife - I start to realize how ridiculous we have become. Not so much that we want to solve anything as much as not give on our position. And I cannot help myself and I start to laugh.

Often this happens when I realize my wife has a point and I am trying to bow out gracefully but she want to make sure I understand so she makes her position arguments stronger. And so I laugh. It really is funny. At least to me. Sometimes I will say "You are right honey - I am sorry." Then she says something like "You know I'm right and you should be sorry." Yah! that is what I just said and now she has to say it to win an extra point or something and it just hits me as very funny.

Sometime I only start to smirk a little so I turn away because I know this ticks her off so she will say something like "Don't turn away from me - I'm not done yet" And it just cracks me up. And then the worst of all she will say, "Quit laughing at me!" So I quit laughing and then she says, "You are still laughing on the inside arn't you?" Then I think - can't we go back to arguing about what was ticking us both off - then I could quit laughing but that thought makes me laugh thinking about it. I could go on but to me it all just gets funnier and more laughable.

If anyone else has had this happen and has found a solution - and would share it - I could really use the help. But please do not get upset if I laugh a little at your idea. You know --- It would be really great if the atonement would cover the damage we do laughing. Sometimes I wonder if G-d himself is not laughing a little at the mess I get myself into sometimes.

The Traveler

Divorce your wife and take up the life of a hermit.

(I didn't say it was a good solution)

Traveler, I wish I could select the laugh button for your post. I thought it was great!

However, when someone begins to feel that they are being belittled... (which is the side affect of this laughter), there is a problem.

Since I'm going through counseling right now, I'm not an expert at this, but I'll write it out for you. It's all about the "I" statements:

I FEEL... This is your emotion.

WHEN YOU... This is the other person's behavior.

BECAUSE... Your reason for feeling as you do.

I WANT... This is where you ask for what you want... OR

I WOULD LIKE... Or how you would like for things to be different.

The harder part of using this is LISTENING and COMMUNICATING after such a position has been made.

- If you interrupt the process, you are belittling the person communicating to you.

- If you are only thinking of how to respond back "because you're right"... you'll short-circuit its effectiveness because you are not LISTENING without your internal dialogue.

It takes strength, humility and practice to do this.