Loud Laughter

pam

There was a question that came to me regarding loud laughter. The question is: What is the true spirit and intent of the counsel to avoid loud laughter?

This is a new one on me as I've never heard this. Any thoughts?

I always think of that as referring to ribald laughter (which in my experience is almost always loud). Watch an episode of Jerry Springer and see how the people are laughing. It's not wholesome. It has a "spirit" to it that is not positive or in keeping with the Holy Spirit (IMNSHO)

And that's about as accurate a description as I can come up with.

I went to dictionary.com and got the following definition for 'loud':

loud

/laʊd/ Show Spelled [loud] Show IPA adjective, loud·er, loud·est, adverb.

adjective

1. (of sound) strongly audible; having exceptional volume or intensity: loud talking; loud thunder; loud whispers.

2. making, emitting, or uttering strongly audible sounds: a quartet of loud trombones.

3. clamorous, vociferous, or blatant; noisy: a loud party; a loud demonstration.

4. emphatic or insistent: to be loud in one's praises; a loud denial.

5. garish, conspicuous, or ostentatious, as colors, dress, or the wearer of garish dress: loud ties; a loud dresser.

6. obtrusively vulgar, as manners or persons.

7. strong or offensive in smell.

I think we can infer a meaning behind loud laughter (particularly with definition #6).

I've always seen is as part of the distinction between light heardedness and light mindedness. I think it's more about the attitude and less the volume. There are circumstances where loud laughter is inappropriate based on volume but it general I don't think it's counsel to make sure we don't exceed X decibels when laughing at an amusing anecdote or knock knock joke. When I think of loud laughter I think of teen boys cracking up over dirty jokes, teen girls' mocking laughter of someone not in the clique, or the raucous laughter of a group of drunken college students.

Edited by Dravin

There was a question that came to me regarding loud laughter. The question is: What is the true spirit and intent of the counsel to avoid loud laughter?

Tell your mom to tone it down or we'll have to ask her to leave the restaurant.

Dravin: When I think of loud laughter I think of teen boys cracking up over dirty jokes, teen girls' mocking laughter of someone not in the clique, or the raucous laughter of a group of drunken college students.

I think of the exact same thing. I don't think this is a prohibition on laughter, generally. It is a specific spirit that we should try to avoid.

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

I think it is a reverence thing. Loud laughter is disruptive. It will drive the spirit away. How can the still, small voice be heard with tumultous laughter going on?

Don't get me wrong, I love to laugh. Laughing with family and friends in an appropriate setting and appropriate sprit is great. Hey, even the GA's make a joke in conference talks. I think there is an appropriate spirit and volume for laughter though. When I think of loud laughter, I think of LOUD as in very disruptive, clamorous, over the top.

Edited by Star_
Replaced can with will and added the second paragraph

Well, others have mentioned the context that loud laughter often has.

But, aside from that, I don't think the spirit of the scripture that counsels against it is to say that wholesome laughter is evil if it is loud. I think is has more to do with having the spirit.

I've heard a connection made in the past even between say, our ability to control our tongue and our ability to have the spirit.

If we want to have the spirit as a constant companion, there may be things we want to be cognizant of. I think anything that is loud, if it is a habit, may dull our ability to have the spirit with us all of the time. For example, I think sometimes even when we get a habit of always having something on for the noise, it may not work in our favor.

Of course, at the time the scripture was given, in was in the 1800's, so there wasn't a lot of the noise and distraction there is now.

Just my .02.

I know in my own experience I have found living around other tenants in rental situations that they can tend to have a lot of annoyingly loud laughter. The laughter does not even have to be audibly loud in this case to annoy, but simply the attitude of mockery that prevails within certain lines of conversation.

The Lord is not opposed to a sense of humor. Laughter is generally associated with cheerfulness and happiness that is a blessing. The Lord does however warn against EXCESS loud laughter. If a person becomes devoted to the trivial so that everything is laughable then life becomes a mockery and there is no time to reflect on things of the spirit, no place for reverence, and the laughter chokes out our progression... it becomes too loud to allow the whisperings of the still small voice in to our hearts.

"Another principle is to be cautious with humor. Loud, inappropriate laughter will offend the Spirit. A good sense of humor helps revelation; loud laughter does not. A sense of humor is an escape valve for the pressures of life." (Conference April 2012, How to obtain revelation and inspiration for your personal life, Elder Richard G. Scott)

What do the scriptures say about laughter?

"... cast away your ... excess of laughter far from you."

"... not with much laughter, for this is sin ..."

Every time I find the counsel against laughter it's always preceded by a modifying adjective. Much laughter, excess of laughter, loud laughter. It seems that the above comment about moderation plays into it as well as the type and quantity.

Often in our quest for understanding we break down statements into segments that by themselves really do not make sense, give a skewed impression of what is being taught and cause individuals to justify not changing their behavior.

The entire statement in one sentence is "To avoid laud laughter and evil speaking of the L-rd's anointed." In short "the L-rd's anointed" is specific reference to endowed saints. I would also point out that this is not just some suggestion or "social wisdom" but rather this is part of a sacred covenant.

I would strongly suggest that one consider listening very carefully to the entire wording and the setting in which this covenant is presented and taken upon one's self. I personally do not believe that the divine intent will be discovered in an internet discussion on the matter - or even in a conference talk - Because this is intended to be learned through careful consideration and revelation. Discussions and conference talks may offer "food for thought" but I believe the responsibility of the covenant lies with the individual and their willingness and desire to receive revelation and live by covenant.

The Traveler

I laugh too. Some laughter is perfectly fine, it's when we get carried away with it that it becomes a bad thing.

When people laugh about something, it becomes more acceptable to do bad things.

Look at that tsh.0 rape joke for example, he said would'nt it be funny if like 5 guys raped her right now? In his stand up comedy show. I'm sorry, but that is a desire to get people to make light of something horrible just to get laughs, and that makes that thing suddenly more acceptable.

Loud laughter can be dangerous, I have had experience when someone was doing something to me that would be in your worst nightmares and they were laughing the whole time, and then laughing with friends afterwards.

There was a little kindgergarden age girl that I was watching in my home daycare for a short time. I told her mother that she could bring her favorite movie over with her to share with everyone after lunch. She brough Chucky's Bride. I told her mom when she was trying to hand it to me that I just didn't think that was an appropriate movie to show the little children in my home. She replied, "But she loves it, it's her favorite movie. She laughs like crazy the whole time!"

Edited by jayanna