Mission?

Guest Ivo_G

So here's the thing: I'm 25 years old and have been a member for about a year. I have a calling in the church and have just received the Melchizedek priesthood. Also, I just graduated in 2011 (in England). Came back home to Bulgaria. Found a relatively good job (Hewlett-Packard). Am in a relationship that is/was going in the right direction so to say. And I guess 25 years is the perfect time for a family?

But...I really want to go on a mission. Actually, up until October I wasn't really considering a mission but then when I was watching the General Conference and Pr. Eyring gave his talk in the Sunday session (the one where he talks about how he had a job offer from Harvard but instead decided to go to Ricks College) something snapped in me and I just thought "that's it - I have to go on a mission"...don't know why that talk had such an effect on me - Pr. Eyring's talk wasn't really about missionary service...still he was talking about living by God's schedule and not our own...in any case, since then I have this burning desire to go on a mission...

I know where I can receive the best answer but I could use some advice from you guys as well :) Do you think I should go on a mission? Or should I look into settling down, creating a family etc.?

Edited by Ivo_G

In my opinion: Unless you have a serious girlfriend that shares your values and faith... I'd continue to consider missionary service.

You wouldn't be the first missionary to serve at the age of 25. You may have some much younger, and therefore less serious/focused companions... but don't let that stop you. Older missionaries bring a perspective that is often needed in missions.

My first inclination is to say go on a mission. It was a wonderful experience for me, and I grew so much in the Gospel. But, you will need to get your own answer from the Lord. Pray about it. Follow the promptings of the Spirit.

I believe the cut off age for young men for missions is age 25 (not sure of this).

So here's the thing: I'm 25 years old and have been a member for about a year. I have a calling in the church and have just received the Melchizedek priesthood. Also, I just graduated in 2011 (in England). Came back home to Bulgaria. Found a relatively good job (Hewlett-Packard). Am in a relationship that is/was going in the right direction so to say. And I guess 25 years is the perfect time for a family?

But...I really want to go on a mission. Actually, up until October I wasn't really considering a mission but then when I was watching the General Conference and Pr. Eyring gave his talk in the Sunday session (the one where he talks about how he had a job offer from Harvard but instead decided to go to Ricks College) something snapped in me and I just thought "that's it - I have to go on a mission"...don't know why that talk had such an effect on me - Pr. Eyring's talk wasn't really about missionary service...still he was talking about living by God's schedule and not our own...in any case, since then I have this burning desire to go on a mission...

I know where I can receive the best answer but I could use some advice from you guys as well :) Do you think I should go on a mission? Or should I look into settling down, creating a family etc.?

If you have the desire to do the lord's will, and nothing really standing in your way then by all means i'd highly advise doing a mission.

Yes, I received my Patriarchal blessing a month or so ago - the tribe I'm from and the blessing itself -> it's all pointing towards a mission (albeit not necessarily now)...in any case, I have started the process a couple of weeks ago - had an interview with the mission president (no stakes/districts in Bulgaria), got the papers (although I'll probably just fill them online) etc.

And yes, the cut off age is 26 and since my birthday is in September - I have some time to decide :D but I want to make a decision in the next 1-2 months...no point waiting till the very last minute :P

If you are wondering about the impact serving a mission would have on the relationship...here's my take.

I would rather my boyfriend serve a mission, even if it means putting off marriage. I wouldn't want him to have regrets later in life, and I know he will be blessed for having served. Two years is really not that long to wait, especially for such an important reason.

I'd say go.

If you have the opportunity to serve a mission... I would serve a mission. There were so many wonderful experiences and knowledge the Lord granted me that I would not have obtained without it.

As pertaining to the age of male missionaries serving a mission, the cut off is 26 for members of the church typically born under the covenant, or have been members for the majority of their lives.

There are exceptions to the age 26 in connection to converts. I know a missionary who served with a missionary who was 32.

Thus, it really depends on who is presiding over the potential missionary at the time, and their individual circumstance.

On a side note, welcome to the fold. I think also, in some ways, because you are a convert you can more easily intimately understand questions from converts, because you were once one.