What to do in Salt Lake?

searching_questioner

Hi all

My wife and teen-age son have a fairly open schedule for their last week in Salt Lake before they come home. They've seen all the usual down town church sites and attractions, and have visited BYU and several of the temples. Can anybody recommend/suggest any "must-do" activities or places to visit over the next 5-6 days? She's not a big sports fan and would probably not enjoy any activities that involve lots of walking. Also, could someone share with me the address of the chapel where President Monson was bishop in the 1950's and the location of President Hinckley's home in East Mill Creek? I'd love her to get some photos of both locations.

Thanks.

A beautiful drive and hike is Guardsman Pass leading to Silver Lake up in Park City, which isn't far from Salt Lake City, only about 45 minutes to an hour to get up there depending on weather. I was just up there recently and it's pretty chilly but the view from the peak is breathtaking. Just dress warm and wear good hiking/snow boots - and snap lots of pictures!

Not sure if your wife and son ski or snowboard but Utah does have the best snow on earth for that ;) We were at Brighton which is accessible from Guardsman Pass if you're already on that route. If they don't want to do that, your son may still have fun grabbing a sled (you can buy those just about anywhere) and go sledding down the slopes (not even at the resort).

Thursday night (tonight or any Thursday) go to Temple Square and listen to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir rehearse. You get to hear the conductor yell and point heavenward incessantly while still hearing some really good music. And the Spirit is there in spades. 8:00pm. Go!

HJ

Thursday night (tonight or any Thursday) go to Temple Square and listen to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir rehearse. You get to hear the conductor yell and point heavenward incessantly while still hearing some really good music. And the Spirit is there in spades. 8:00pm. Go!

HJ

Mac really yells? :lol:

Hi all

My wife and teen-age son have a fairly open schedule for their last week in Salt Lake before they come home. They've seen all the usual down town church sites and attractions, and have visited BYU and several of the temples. Can anybody recommend/suggest any "must-do" activities or places to visit over the next 5-6 days? She's not a big sports fan and would probably not enjoy any activities that involve lots of walking. Also, could someone share with me the address of the chapel where President Monson was bishop in the 1950's and the location of President Hinckley's home in East Mill Creek? I'd love her to get some photos of both locations.

Thanks.

Have they visited the Brigham Young family gravesite up in the Avenues? He and several of his wives (including Eliza Snow) are in this little park in the middle of a bunch of apartment complexes. Also, could go grave-hunting at the SLC cemetery - several past prophets are there.

Also the Church History Museum. Also LDS Archives - they usually have a display or two out in the lobby.

If they're in SLC right now, they can go to "The Organ Loft" (a.k.a. "Edison Street Events") tomorrow night and catch a Laurel & Hardy silent film, accompanied by the Organ Loft's theatrical organ - that's a much cooler experience than it sounds like. Could also go down to the Hale Center Theater in West Valley City (currently performing "Oliver!") or the Orem location (currently performing "South Pacific"). A downtown museum called (appropriately) The Leonardo is currently hosting an exhibit on Leonardo da Vinci.

JAG is the Organ Loft a continual thing? I've not heard of that but it sounds really cool to go to.

I think it's a seasonal thing, after tomorrow the next movie screening isn't until January. They also do monthly dinner-dances and rent the facility out for weddings, etc. See their website at Salt Lake Banquet Hall - Wedding Reception Center and Party Venue.