I'm Studying Mormonism, And I Have A Few Questions? Can Anyone He

Researcher

If you’re willing to help me please just reply to this post or if you wish, your answers to be in private you can send me an email at [email protected].

I promise I’m not selling anything, you will not be judged or ridiculed this is strictly for educational purposes only.

Your responses would benefit me significantly with my studies

Here are the questions:

1 What chose you to follow Mormonism and how has your beliefs affected or change your lifestyle?

2 What spiritual traditions have you practice and how have these practices better your life?

3 What are the challenges, if any, to practicing Mormonism?

4 What are the important holidays and traditions of Mormonism?

5 Is there something you would change about Mormonism and if so why?

6 How would someone convert to Mormonism and what challenges would that person have to overcome?

7 What are some key historical events that have affected Mormonism today?

8 What conflicts have Mormons have with other religions and why?

9 How has the Church of Latter Day Saints and Mormons help their fellow believers that are dealing with traumatic events?

10 What modern changes have taken place to traditional Mormonism and why?

Thank you for your help,

Jesse

Conflicts may not be the exact word I would use. One of the most prominent teachings in the LDS church is that we believe in continued revelation to a Prophet of God today like in days of old. Most other christians disagree with our view on continued revelation in the establishing Christs church today like in the days of old. We believe that our church is run by Christ through a prophet of God and 12 Aposltles. Prophets have spoken to other civilizations in other lands such as the ancient Americas and we have those accounts in what is known to us as The Book of Mormon. We accept this as scripture as others do not. With a modern day prophet a lot of direction has been given to us as a people which you may have read about in this forum or from friends. We hold the direction that the prophets give us as from God himself so we abide by those commandments.

This is one of many but time will not let me type.

If you’re willing to help me please just reply to this post or if you wish, your answers to be in private you can send me an email at [email protected].

I promise I’m not selling anything, you will not be judged or ridiculed this is strictly for educational purposes only.

Here are the questions:

1 What chose you to follow Mormonism and how has your beliefs affected or change your lifestyle?

2 What spiritual traditions have you practice and how have these practices better your life?

6 How would someone convert to Mormonism and what challenges would that person have to overcome?

9 How has the Church of Latter Day Saints and Mormons help their fellow believers that are dealing with traumatic events?

Thank you for your help,

Jesse

Yo Jesse James......first of all the term Mormons is a nick name....we are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints...secondly, there is no such thing as Mormonism, following Mormonism, practicing Mormonism etc.. To us the term Mormonism is a derogatory term which depicts a cult.

I'll fix your questions for you and answer them very briefly what I can in red:

1 Why did you choose to become a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of LDS and how has your beliefs affected or change your lifestyle?

Because I got down on my knees and asked the Lord if the church was true and received a definite answer....my knowledge of the Gospel of Jesus Christ has changed my entire life...I now try and walk in the light of the Lord!

2 What spiritual commandments or ordinances have you practice and how have these bettered your life?

I have been baptized, received the gift of the Holy Spirit, Ordained in the Holy Priesthood and continue to be worthy of it and use it everyday to bless my family and others, received my Endowments in the Temple and have been sealed to my wife and family for all time and eternity in the Temple.

3 What are the challenges, if any, to being a member of the LDS church?

None....no challenges at all....following the Lord is easy when you have the Spirit with you.

4 What are the important holidays and traditions of the Chrurch of Jesus Christ of LDS?

Christmas, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Easter, General Conference, Fast & Testimony meetings, mothers day, fathers day, new years day....lol......

5 Is there something you would change about the LDS church and if so why?

Not a thing.....the Lords church is and orderly church.....and it's his church and none others!

6 How would someone become a member of the LDS church and what challenges would that person have to overcome?

To become a member of the Lords church you have to be baptized.....but you have to be worthy and repent first for anything that would make you unworthy....of course you would have to learn the basics of the church through the missionaries and then be interviewed to see if you are ready for Baptism.

7 What are some key historical events that have affected the LDS church today?

Hmmmm....the Prophet Joseph Smiths first vision, the coming forth of the Book of Mormon another testament of Jesus Christ, the restoration of the Priesthood keys of Christs church, the Temple of the Lord once again on the Earth, basically the restoration of the fullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ in this final dispensation.

8 What conflicts have the LDS church had with other religions and why?

Conflicts? Well, the church and it's members were driven out of Missouri, many murdered and beaten, everything stolen under the guise of a state extermination order all because others feared this new "religon"....and in Illinois the churches Prophet and Patriarch were murdered and the saints were again driven out of their homes and forced out....conflicts? naw, no conflicts. Hatred? naw no hatred....there aren't hundreds of so called Christian churches with websites that spew forth untruths and lies about the LDS faith....nope....no conflicts...we love all the other religons and their members.

9 How has the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints help their fellow believers that are dealing with traumatic events?

Helped? You mean service...as in service to our fellow man? Well, we wholeheartedly embrace service and not only to members but everyone....we all try to follow in the Lords footsteps....and love our neighbor.

10 What modern changes have taken place in the LDS church and why?

Modern changes......none that I can think of that change the doctrine of the Lords church....no, it's the same now as when it was formed....we believe:

1 We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2 We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.

3 We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4 We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5 We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6 We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7 We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8 We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9 We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10 We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11 We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12 We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

Joseph Smith

Want more info? Go here: http://www.mormon.org/welcome/0,6929,403-1,00.html

Jesse, what is the nature of your study?

Thank you for asking that question, because I'm sure there are many that wonder why I want to know. I'm currently studying religions in college and I have chosen Mormonism as the topic for my final project. Currently I understand just the basics of Mormonism which is very little and unsatisfactory for conducting a well-rounded essay. The next two weeks I'm critically studying what I read in this site and what I read in text books so I can have a general idea of how Mormons live their day to day lives. (I know two weeks is very little time but I will be working around the clock) I could just read boring text books and write an essay that the professor has probably heard several times but that’s unacceptable by my standards. That’s why I have asked the world these questions because I seek honest life experiences and nothing more. End results will hopefully be a very informative essay on Mormonism.

<div class='quotemain'>

Here are the questions:

Thank you for your help,

Jesse

Yo Jesse James......first of all the term Mormons is a nick name....we are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints...secondly, there is no such thing as Mormonism, following Mormonism, practicing Mormonism etc.. To us the term Mormonism is a derogatory term which depicts a cult.

I'll fix your questions for you and answer them very briefly what I can in red:

1 Why did you choose to become a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of LDS and how has your beliefs affected or change your lifestyle?

Because I got down on my knees and asked the Lord if the church was true and received a definite answer....my knowledge of the Gospel of Jesus Christ has changed my entire life...I now try and walk in the light of the Lord!

2 What spiritual commandments or ordinances have you practice and how have these bettered your life?

I have been baptized, received the gift of the Holy Spirit, Ordained in the Holy Priesthood and continue to be worthy of it and use it everyday to bless my family and others, received my Endowments in the Temple and have been sealed to my wife and family for all time and eternity in the Temple.

3 What are the challenges, if any, to being a member of the LDS church?

None....no challenges at all....following the Lord is easy when you have the Spirit with you.

4 What are the important holidays and traditions of the Chrurch of Jesus Christ of LDS?

Christmas, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Easter, General Conference, Fast & Testimony meetings, mothers day, fathers day, new years day....lol......

5 Is there something you would change about the LDS church and if so why?

Not a thing.....the Lords church is and orderly church.....and it's his church and none others!

6 How would someone become a member of the LDS church and what challenges would that person have to overcome?

To become a member of the Lords church you have to be baptized.....but you have to be worthy and repent first for anything that would make you unworthy....of course you would have to learn the basics of the church through the missionaries and then be interviewed to see if you are ready for Baptism.

7 What are some key historical events that have affected the LDS church today?

Hmmmm....the Prophet Joseph Smiths first vision, the coming forth of the Book of Mormon another testament of Jesus Christ, the restoration of the Priesthood keys of Christs church, the Temple of the Lord once again on the Earth, basically the restoration of the fullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ in this final dispensation.

8 What conflicts have the LDS church had with other religions and why?

Conflicts? Well, the church and it's members were driven out of Missouri, many murdered and beaten, everything stolen under the guise of a state extermination order all because others feared this new "religon"....and in Illinois the churches Prophet and Patriarch were murdered and the saints were again driven out of their homes and forced out....conflicts? naw, no conflicts. Hatred? naw no hatred....there aren't hundreds of so called Christian churches with websites that spew forth untruths and lies about the LDS faith....nope....no conflicts...we love all the other religons and their members.

9 How has the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints help their fellow believers that are dealing with traumatic events?

Helped? You mean service...as in service to our fellow man? Well, we wholeheartedly embrace service and not only to members but everyone....we all try to follow in the Lords footsteps....and love our neighbor.

10 What modern changes have taken place in the LDS church and why?

Modern changes......none that I can think of that change the doctrine of the Lords church....no, it's the same now as when it was formed....we believe:

1 We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2 We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.

3 We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4 We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5 We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6 We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7 We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8 We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9 We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10 We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11 We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12 We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

Joseph Smith

Want more info? Go here: http://www.mormon.org/welcome/0,6929,403-1,00.html

Thank you very much for the reply and I'm sorry for insulting you with the terminology I was using “Mormonism and Mormons” because that is what I was taught in text books. Please no disrespect intended and that is another solid reason why I’m here to learn, because text books can be filled with stereotypes and opinions that could corrupt my understandings of your religion. I only seek the truth nothing more.

Bro. Dorsey,

An interesting article from your own prophet: http://library.lds.org/nxt/gateway.dll/Mag...more%20good.htm

I know lots of LDS who refer to themselves as Mormon. Even the link you provided for this guy is 'mormon.org'.

I'll answer this one specifically. On 5 NOV 2005 a guy driving a van had a siezure and hit my dad's VW Golf head-on. My father suffered broken bones and brain injuries. He was in a coma for several weeks. He's just now beginning to take faltering steps on his own. He still doesn't remember my name. I've been helping my mother care for him 24/7 for the past 14 or so months.

Our local congregation (called a "ward" or if a smaller congregation, a "branch") responded with tons of support. After five weeks in the hospital, we brought my father home (still rather comatose). The Relief Society (the sisters in the ward) immediately arranged for someone to bring dinners to us twice a week. This has continued for over a year. That's a lot of meals. And a lot of sacrifice and service on the ward's part.

When we needed yard work done, our friends in the ward organized some helpers and in a few hours every single item of yard work was done. This has occured several times.

The priesthood leader of a ward is called Bishop (for branches, he's the Branch President). Several wards in a geographical region comprise a "stake." The priesthood leader of the stake is called, yep, the Stake President. He's normally a very busy man, overseeing several wards of hundreds of people each. Our Stake President visited us in the hospital, visits us regularly at home, and has brought meals over himself many times. He's a very busy man, and one of the most Christ-like people I've ever met. Yet he still takes time to check up on us (I know we're not the only ones with problems and needs in the stake). Understand, he has a full-time job as well. All LDS clergy are volunteers, often without formal training, who receive no salary or monetary compensation for their time spent fulfilling Church obligations.

A sister from the ward recently delivered a project she'd been working on for several months. Every Sunday, she'd go to the youth classes and adult classes and have people write messages to us on pieces of paper. Then she taped all the pieces of paper together to make a long scroll. This puppy was long...really, really long. It took me probably 15 minutes to read all the well-wishes and messages. That was a very touching show of support from the ward, since not everyone can bring us meals or do yard work or what have you.

Just today, a brother from the ward delivered another gift from the Relief Society: a huge hand-made quilt. I'm just floored at all that the Church has done for me and my family as we've struggled through this latest trial. And it's not just members of a clique my parents belonged to in our ward that have reached out. Several people moved into the ward after my dad's accident. They've never met us. They still serve us and give when help is needed.

My parents are two of the most giving people I know. It's been awkward to be the ones receiving service instead of giving it. And boy, have we been inundated with acts of kindness, shows of support, gifts, meals and Christ-like love. There's no other Church I'd rather be a member of during hard times. I can't imagine having to go through this without a ward family to help shoulder the burden.

Within the LDS Church, there is a culture of service and sacrifice. I guess it stems from scriptures like this one from the Book of Mormon:

"And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God." (Mosiah 2:17)

My family's experience with a traumatic brain injury that's devastated my father and our relationship to him has been softened by the firm support and giving hearts of our fellow saints. Jesus gives perhaps the clearest definition of what it means to be a "Christian" or disciple of Christ:

"A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

"By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." (John 13:34-35)

According to this definition, there are no better Christians I know of than the faithful members of the LDS Church, they who give so much, so willingly, without concern for repayment or recognition. Despite all the arguments that try to prove that LDS members aren't "Christian" because we don't accept this creed or that doctrine, yet we are Christian, according to the standard put forth by the Master himself in the above scripture.

God bless everyone who helps their neighbor. This is--in a way--the highest form of worship, for in serving others we are only serving God. This is my witness in the spotless name of Jesus Christ.

<div class='quotemain'>

I'll answer this one specifically. On 5 NOV 2005 a guy driving a van had a siezure and hit my dad's VW Golf head-on. My father suffered broken bones and brain injuries. He was in a coma for several weeks. He's just now beginning to take faltering steps on his own. He still doesn't remember my name. I've been helping my mother care for him 24/7 for the past 14 or so months.

Our local congregation (called a "ward" or if a smaller congregation, a "branch") responded with tons of support. After five weeks in the hospital, we brought my father home (still rather comatose). The Relief Society (the sisters in the ward) immediately arranged for someone to bring dinners to us twice a week. This has continued for over a year. That's a lot of meals. And a lot of sacrifice and service on the ward's part.

When we needed yard work done, our friends in the ward organized some helpers and in a few hours every single item of yard work was done. This has occured several times.

The priesthood leader of a ward is called Bishop (for branches, he's the Branch President). Several wards in a geographical region comprise a "stake." The priesthood leader of the stake is called, yep, the Stake President. He's normally a very busy man, overseeing several wards of hundreds of people each. Our Stake President visited us in the hospital, visits us regularly at home, and has brought meals over himself many times. He's a very busy man, and one of the most Christ-like people I've ever met. Yet he still takes time to check up on us (I know we're not the only ones with problems and needs in the stake). Understand, he has a full-time job as well. All LDS clergy are volunteers, often without formal training, who receive no salary or monetary compensation for their time spent fulfilling Church obligations.

A sister from the ward recently delivered a project she'd been working on for several months. Every Sunday, she'd go to the youth classes and adult classes and have people write messages to us on pieces of paper. Then she taped all the pieces of paper together to make a long scroll. This puppy was long...really, really long. It took me probably 15 minutes to read all the well-wishes and messages. That was a very touching show of support from the ward, since not everyone can bring us meals or do yard work or what have you.

Just today, a brother from the ward delivered another gift from the Relief Society: a huge hand-made quilt. I'm just floored at all that the Church has done for me and my family as we've struggled through this latest trial. And it's not just members of a clique my parents belonged to in our ward that have reached out. Several people moved into the ward after my dad's accident. They've never met us. They still serve us and give when help is needed.

My parents are two of the most giving people I know. It's been awkward to be the ones receiving service instead of giving it. And boy, have we been inundated with acts of kindness, shows of support, gifts, meals and Christ-like love. There's no other Church I'd rather be a member of during hard times. I can't imagine having to go through this without a ward family to help shoulder the burden.

Within the LDS Church, there is a culture of service and sacrifice. I guess it stems from scriptures like this one from the Book of Mormon:

"And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God." (Mosiah 2:17)

My family's experience with a traumatic brain injury that's devastated my father and our relationship to him has been softened by the firm support and giving hearts of our fellow saints. Jesus gives perhaps the clearest definition of what it means to be a "Christian" or disciple of Christ:

"A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

"By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." (John 13:34-35)

According to this definition, there are no better Christians I know of than the faithful members of the LDS Church, they who give so much, so willingly, without concern for repayment or recognition. Despite all the arguments that try to prove that LDS members aren't "Christian" because we don't accept this creed or that doctrine, yet we are Christian, according to the standard put forth by the Master himself in the above scripture.

God bless everyone who helps their neighbor. This is--in a way--the highest form of worship, for in serving others we are only serving God. This is my witness in the spotless name of Jesus Christ.

Thank you for sharing your traumatic experience I'm glad the Church of Latter Day Saints had aided you and your family.

...secondly, there is no such thing as Mormonism, following Mormonism, practicing Mormonism etc.. To us the term Mormonism is a derogatory term which depicts a cult.

I find this a bit odd since "ism" is just a suffix commonly used in the English language with many words. Here's what dictionary.com has to say:

-ism

suff.

1. Action, process; practice: vegetarianism.

2. Characteristic behavior or quality: puerilism.

3. State; condition; quality: senilism.

4. State or condition resulting from an excess of something specified: strychninism.

5. Doctrine; theory; system of principles: Darwinism.

M.

Hi Jesse,

I'll take a stab at answering this one:

I'd looked into a Christian religion in high school (Assembly of God) and liked some things about it, but some things didn't seem right. For example, it didn't seem right that God would consign a person to hell simply becuase he didn't accept Jesus Christ in this life as Lord, even though he may have lived an honorable life.

I went to college in Utah and so ran into many Mormons on campus. One of my friends told me the Book of Mormon was true and gave me a copy of it. I didn't read it at the time, but there was something about my friend's witness of the Book of Mormon that stuck with me. Then I started dating a Mormon girl and began meeting with the missionaries. I followed their counsel and started reading the BoM. It had a powerful effect on me. It filled me with a curious light. It took me a little over a year, but I joined the church.

Mormonism has answered questions that other Christian faiths had no satisfactory answer for. The most important way it has changed my lifestyle is that I now know that God lives, loves me, and is always watching over me in an infinitely tender way. It has given me a relationship with God that I never had before, and this has given me more self-confidence. I tend to be a people pleaser and tend to do some unwise things simply to try to please others and get caught up in philosophies that influential people might espouse. Mormonism has given me an anchor to resist such things and has given me root in myself and God that I didn't have before.

Nothing at all.

One would ideally read the Book of Mormon with a desire to know if it was really true or not, and trust that God could answer his prayers about it. There are many potential challenges to overcome -- some people might be scared to death of how family and friends will react to their becoming Mormon (as was my case), others might have a difficult time giving up smoking and drinking, others might get discouraged by encounters with less-than-perfect Mormons, and so forth. Everybody will have some challenges to overcome if they decide to join the Mormon church.

The Mormon church is very positive toward other religions. I have never seen any Mormon leader express animosity toward another religion. As such, I don't think we have conflicts with any other religion.

Seeker

<div class='quotemain'>

...secondly, there is no such thing as Mormonism, following Mormonism, practicing Mormonism etc.. To us the term Mormonism is a derogatory term which depicts a cult.

I find this a bit odd since "ism" is just a suffix commonly used in the English language with many words. Here's what dictionary.com has to say:

-ism

suff.

1. Action, process; practice: vegetarianism.

2. Characteristic behavior or quality: puerilism.

3. State; condition; quality: senilism.

4. State or condition resulting from an excess of something specified: strychninism.

5. Doctrine; theory; system of principles: Darwinism.

M.

I've missed this about you M :D

Dr. T